AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-06, 02:47   Link #101
southpawdragon

i actually saw a preview of zetman anime at comics alliance website. thought it was cool.
southpawdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 05:09   Link #102
EroKing

After watching the first episode yesterday I started reading the manga and finished till all the latest volume 15 within just 12 hours
It's a pretty good read and I too like many members on this thread would recommend trying it.
Rumors floating around of the finale having an alternate bad end? Though it's rarely done in a series I would really like to see a somewhat decent end.
Old 2012-04-06, 05:18   Link #103
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Also, the changes they made to make Jin and Kouga childhood friends is original to the anime.
I'm sure this decision was made to shorten some of the drama between the two, but I do not like this change.
It will, quite obviously, dampen the effect it had when these two first encountered in the manga.
Kouga "not knowing Jin well" was a strong and important part of their relationship, I can't imagine the direction anime is going to take having the same impact.
In short, I don't want the drama between the two shortened.

Regardless, it was a very good first episode, if I try and tuck away the memories of the ongoing manga.

For some background on this title.
This is basically Katsura's "Dark Knight".
Katsura Masakazu debuted in Jump with Wingman (which Deathnote, IMO, borrowed idea from), but he always wanted to do a more "dark, anti-hero" story. His next manga, Den-ei Shoujo, known here as Video Girl Ai, was a great romance story, and personally I think one of the best in WSJ history.

He then wanted to do what he always wanted to do... dark anti-hero manga. However, his conception of Zetman was simply way too dark for WSJ audience, and the editors told him WSJ isn't fit to do a series that blurs line of good and evil, they'd rather do a simple good vs evil in their magazines. Katsura took his work to the more mature-audience magazine, Weekly Young Jump magazine.

What's funny is, shortly after they made that decision, WSJ flipped their standards and started serializing Death Note, which was a smashing success.

PS: The reason why I say Deathnote borrowed idea from Wingman, Wingman's premise was that protagonist finds a "Dream Note" notebook which turns anything you write in it into reality. His wish was to be a superhero, so he starts drawing all these superhero ideas in the notebook, transforming him into Wingman. Wingman was fairly popular when I was a kid, and there was an animated series also.

Last edited by aohige; 2012-04-06 at 06:38.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 15:05   Link #104
cereal_killerxx

Great episode. Never read the manga but I'm little nervous. How can they possibly fit all those volumes into only 13 episodes?
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 15:08   Link #105
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Pretty fast pacing. Sat through the entire episode but it seemed like it only took 10 minutes. My mind must have been too glued to the screen.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 00:40   Link #106
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

man, so i picked up the manga after many people recommended it here. there are many things i hope they hit in the series that they probably won't.. which is very disappointing.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 09:51   Link #107
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I only watched this show because it appeared after I gave Accel World a try.

I haven't seen a gritty show like this in quite a while. I admit to having to suspend disbelief at times, not because of the action or monsters, but because of things like Jin having no idea what death is. You'd think living with a bunch of homeless people he'd have seen his neighbors die of disease or starvation from time to time.

I really hope the manga readers in this thread don't spend the next twelve weeks complaining. We get it; you're unhappy with the adaptation. If so, then don't watch this show and stick to the manga. This sort of whining got really tiresome back when I watched Claymore. Can we all just move along now and accept the anime for what it is?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:35   Link #108
v1nx

Send a message via ICQ to v1nx
And who is whining? The first episode was done greatly from manga reader perspective. The problem is how they will handle the rest.
v1nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 14:41   Link #109
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I only watched this show because it appeared after I gave Accel World a try.

I haven't seen a gritty show like this in quite a while. I admit to having to suspend disbelief at times, not because of the action or monsters, but because of things like Jin having no idea what death is. You'd think living with a bunch of homeless people he'd have seen his neighbors die of disease or starvation from time to time.

I really hope the manga readers in this thread don't spend the next twelve weeks complaining. We get it; you're unhappy with the adaptation. If so, then don't watch this show and stick to the manga. This sort of whining got really tiresome back when I watched Claymore. Can we all just move along now and accept the anime for what it is?
never, if we can't have fun watching the show then we will have fun complaining about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nx View Post
And who is whining? The first episode was done greatly from manga reader perspective. The problem is how they will handle the rest.
not this manga reader.
Old 2012-04-07, 14:45   Link #110
v1nx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
never, if we can't have fun watching the show then we will have fun complaining about it

not this manga reader.
Why though? Putting aside the fact that they have changed some stuff?
Old 2012-04-07, 14:49   Link #111
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nx View Post
Why though? Putting aside the fact that they have changed some stuff?
the changes is main the reason + the cramming of 1`2 chapter in 1 ep. If the producer can't bother to do a good job why even bother in the first place?
Old 2012-04-07, 15:02   Link #112
v1nx

Quote:
the changes is main the reason + the cramming of 1`2 chapter in 1 ep. If the producer can't bother to do a good job why even bother in the first place?
They have to tell the story in 12 episodes. How do you expect them to do it without any changes and cuttings?
Even though the episode was rushed, they did manage to put everything needed into it. As for the changes - they made them so that future events made sense even with further cuttings.

The biggest problem here is the lack of time to build the background.

Last edited by v1nx; 2012-04-08 at 02:52.
Old 2012-04-07, 16:05   Link #113
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^sure.

How about not tell the story in 12 episodes.
Old 2012-04-07, 16:25   Link #114
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
^sure.

How about not tell the story in 12 episodes.
The question is,between telling the story in 1 cour and no anime at all which would you choose?
Old 2012-04-07, 16:26   Link #115
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The question is,between telling the story in 1 cour and no anime at all which would you choose?
if they won't do it right then i prefer no anime.
Old 2012-04-07, 23:11   Link #116
Anime-fan10

I really enjoyed the first episode. I haven't read the manga, but just based on the anime, I thought it was pretty good. The plot is interesting, it has plenty of action, plenty of mystery, the characters are interesting as well, and I can tell there's a lot more surprises waiting around the corner with this one...
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 01:55   Link #117
v1nx

Quote:
if they won't do it right then i prefer no anime.
You can skip it and pretend there was no anime to begin with. What's the problem? It's not like you have obligation ot watch it.
Old 2012-04-08, 12:48   Link #118
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

First episode seemed a little absurd at times, not that keen on battle animation. But overall it's intriguing. Relationship between Jin and the call-girl is appealing, interested to see how that turns out. It's done enough to keep me interested to see a bit more but I'm not sold on it yet. And hopefully its ambition to cram a fairly lengthy manga into a single cour won't damage the show too much, because it has been the fatal flaw for shows in the past. But these are times where one cour is the way and what is affordable.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:26   Link #119
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well let's see ... I gave ep 1 a try and had a curious reaction to it. I thought it was interesting - but kinda as a "one shot". I really liked the storyline and the character interaction, was especially touched by the old grandfather/ex-researcher and the young woman's interactions with the child Zet. I also like the possibility of future interactions between his two childhood friends and Zet in the future. But somehow the premise of the story itself does not elicit my interest....

I guess I will put this series on "trial" and give it a few more eps to decide.
Old 2012-04-08, 18:38   Link #120
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

This definitely gave me good old school vibes, even if the story bordered on absurdity sometimes and felt like it skipped relevant plot (that may or may not be explained later). The animation is was pretty good, the music was solid, and the experience was engaging. I liked the slight misdirection at the end, implying the girl had died when she did not. That tugged at the heart a bit.

All in all, I liked it and look forward to more.

Tags
action, seinen