AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-07-16, 17:06   Link #741
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I'd say Char was and is the most main-character in all of Gundam and he was the first mask-guy...But in the modern age of Gundam it would be nice to see the mask-guy as the team leader for the clear protagonist group as oppose to being a rival for that group...
Old 2007-07-16, 20:45   Link #742
Westlo
Lets be reality

It gives me hope that he's not trying to remake Gundam but put his own spin on thigns, animation quality looks to be better than Geass too which is a plus.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 20:53   Link #743
brightman
Ancient Member

Ditto... Seed got tiring with all the homages and references and this especially applies to Destiny as well. This show looks to be different from that, and that should be a good thing.
Old 2007-07-16, 21:31   Link #744
Same_Shark

I don't see why everyone is saying that he doesn't know anything about Gundam. Just because he hasn't worked on a Gundam series, doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 21:35   Link #745
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I don't see why everyone is saying that he doesn't know anything about Gundam.
Everyone is saying that because he himself said it (that he doesn't know *much*, not necessary *anything*). Read his recent interviews at http://aeug.blogspot.com since you seem to have missed it.
Old 2007-07-16, 21:39   Link #746
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I don't see why everyone is saying that he doesn't know anything about Gundam. Just because he hasn't worked on a Gundam series, doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it.
He's admitted in his interview to not being too knowledgeable on Gundam, since he never watched many previous Gundams. He never cited which one he watched though.

Honestly, I don't think that's a bad thing. And it was also already mentioned that the scriptwriter and original character designer are Gundam fans, so aspects of Gundam storytelling should be strongly prevalent, yet different as well.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 21:45   Link #747
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Honestly, I don't think that's a bad thing. And it was also already mentioned that the scriptwriter and original character designer are Gundam fans, so aspects of Gundam storytelling should be strongly prevalent, yet different as well.
Interestingly though, the people he cited as being Gundam fans, ie Kuroda and most of the mecha designers (as well as Gayun), have never actually worked on a Gundam show before... So even with the fact that they are fans in mind, we should still see a slew of new ideas from these new people/old fans.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:20   Link #748
patgarci

here is a second trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEnK34oM2A
patgarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 06:11   Link #749
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Everyone is saying that because he himself said it (that he doesn't know *much*, not necessary *anything*). Read his recent interviews at http://aeug.blogspot.com since you seem to have missed it.
Yes I did miss it, mainly due to the fact that I didn't do my daily check over at Gunota.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 23:47   Link #750
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well I'd say Char was and is the most main-character in all of Gundam and he was the first mask-guy...But in the modern age of Gundam it would be nice to see the mask-guy as the team leader for the clear protagonist group as oppose to being a rival for that group...
I don't know if i like that idea... I would like the mask guy to have some mystery to him, and you can't really do that if he's THE main character.

ehh... Chars ok I guess.
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 23:53   Link #751
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
See, it'd be a nice change to watch a Gundam series that has no masked characters. It would be an interesting change. I know 08th MS Team didn't have any masked character (as far as I recall), but I meant a long running Gundam series as long as Gundam or Gundam Wing or Gundam SEED (both of them) or Gundam Victory or Gundam X, etc. There are other creative ways to have an air of mystery around a person without having them wearing a mask. It would be interesting to see what they pull off.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 00:04   Link #752
grandmaster192

Personaly, I would rather have no mask guy then have the mask guy be the good guy. I really don't see the need for a mask guy to be honest. I mean, in Destiny it seemed like Neo was there just for the hell of it. I would rather have a new, more original antagonist... I would also like the protagonist to have some edge to him as well.
Old 2007-07-18, 00:29   Link #753
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster192 View Post
I don't know if i like that idea... I would like the mask guy to have some mystery to him, and you can't really do that if he's THE main character.

ehh... Chars ok I guess.
Team leader doesn't have to mean main-character...I doubt Setsuna (00) is the team-leader, but he is the main character...He can still go rouge alla Char or better yet the main character goes rouge and has to fight his former masked leader...It just would put a different spin on it is all...He can still be mysterious...I mean having the mask is 90% of the mystery^^...

As for Neo, he's the only mask-character to ever be a no-count IMO...And I don't wanna hear those Chronicle Asner bird chirps...Chronicle didn't suck like people make it out, he just didn't appear for episodes at a time in the 2nd half of V...He had some cool moments after his upgrade...Neo is at the bottom of the mask-glasses guy totem pole so he shouldn't be the measure...Oh and good to see you back grandmaster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya
I know 08th MS Team didn't have any masked character
Char was that continuum's mask-guy...
Old 2007-07-18, 01:17   Link #754
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
As for Neo, he's the only mask-character to ever be a no-count IMO...And I don't wanna hear those Chronicle Asner bird chirps...Chronicle didn't suck like people make it out, he just didn't appear for episodes at a time in the 2nd half of V...He had some cool moments after his upgrade...
Chronicle was a loser. Only a guy like him can have a 13 year old jump in to his cockpit, wrestle his suit away from him and get him kicked out. Even after he gets his suit he was thoroughly outmatched by the V2. So no, I disagree. Neo was pretty badass in the beginning of the series, with his fancy tactics and Exass piloting skills. He also managed to stir some debate and speculation in his identity. However, Chronicle was just some pansy who wears a mask because he's allergic to Earth's air... Though I guess that's pretty original.
Old 2007-07-18, 01:20   Link #755
grandmaster192

Quote:
Team leader doesn't have to mean main-character...I doubt Setsuna (00) is the team-leader, but he is the main character...He can still go rouge alla Char or better yet the main character goes rouge and has to fight his former masked leader...It just would put a different spin on it is all...He can still be mysterious...I mean having the mask is 90% of the mystery^^...
I just think it would be hard to have the masked guy be so close to the main character like that. It would make him be a main character as well, and I think it if he's getting that type of screen time and keeps his mystery thing he will seem a bit under developed.

Quote:
As for Neo, he's the only mask-character to ever be a no-count IMO...And I don't wanna hear those Chronicle Asner bird chirps...Chronicle didn't suck like people make it out, he just didn't appear for episodes at a time in the 2nd half of V...He had some cool moments after his upgrade...Neo is at the bottom of the mask-glasses guy totem pole so he shouldn't be the measure...Oh and good to see you back grandmaster...
Yeah, Neo sucks. No doubt about that. And thanks... It's good to be back.
Old 2007-07-18, 02:59   Link #756
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Chronicle was a loser. Only a guy like him can have a 13 year old jump in to his cockpit, wrestle his suit away from him and get him kicked out. Even after he gets his suit he was thoroughly outmatched by the V2. So no, I disagree. Neo was pretty badass in the beginning of the series, with his fancy tactics and Exass piloting skills. He also managed to stir some debate and speculation in his identity. However, Chronicle was just some pansy who wears a mask because he's allergic to Earth's air... Though I guess that's pretty original.
Hey that kid was a Non-Space soopa Newtype...I wanna see you fight one^^...Anywho, Neo's awesomness in the first couple eps only makes his eventual downfall as an invalid trapped in the medical bay watching World News with Katie Couric much worse than Chronicle who actually kicked alot of a$$ not named Usso...Chronicle's $hitty moments came mostly in the start, while Neo devolved from dope to super-$hitty to totally unbelievable with the help of .//hackatsuki (Keep in mind he's no longer masked Neo at that point, but Mwu)...Hey Chronicle ain't high on the list but he beats Neo by a face-mask that's for sure...
Old 2007-07-18, 03:25   Link #757
Gundam Master

Send a message via AIM to Gundam Master
a kid is still a kid. I mean If you're in the military you should be able to fight off a thirteen year old kid.
Gundam Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 07:21   Link #758
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster192 View Post
I just think it would be hard to have the masked guy be so close to the main character like that. It would make him be a main character as well, and I think it if he's getting that type of screen time and keeps his mystery thing he will seem a bit under developed.
From what wingdarkness said it seems that he favors another Quattro Bagina/Jamil Neate character, except with a mask instead of a pair of sunglasses... Maybe even a mysterious helper like Schwarz Bruder who's on the same side as the good guys might count. So its been done before, and done well... Though it isn't exactly a new concept.
Old 2007-07-18, 10:31   Link #759
UPR

I don't know if this has been asked but is this Gundam going to have romance in it as well??? by the way i hope they do...
Old 2007-07-18, 10:45   Link #760
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
I don't know if this has been asked but is this Gundam going to have romance in it as well??? by the way i hope they do...
Already asked and answered in the Mizushima Newtype interview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://aeug.blogspot.com
Q: Will there be any romance?
A: There will be plenty of romance even under these harsh circumstances. *laughs* Yousuke Kuroda is going to include lots of romance in the story.

Tags
spoilers