AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-15, 11:54   Link #121
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Quote:
o in other words, I don't think the forum is swallowing itself up with negativity. I just think those of us who enjoy anime for what it is (not resent it for what it isn't) need to be a bit more vocal and articulate to balance the discussion.
I actually do not hate the animes for what they aren't, I just find it a bit sad that pieces are often left out. I understand that not all can be put sometimes, but I also feel that important aspects and events are often left out.
Old 2009-06-16, 07:58   Link #122
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Now hang on, I don't think that they'd not be able to adapt the current (and quite possibly final) arc in this upcoming anime project. Especially considering they put not one but two direct references to it in the second OP for the second season even though it was not in the second season. I just think that they're going to quite sloppily bullshit it into the story like they did in the second season with it's bullshit new introduction for the Keeper and bullshit explanation for Yuji's high PoE. And I'd prefer starting over instead of sloppily adding in stuff that should've been there before but wasn't. It's just not consistent storytelling.
Old 2009-06-16, 12:17   Link #123
MegamiMiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Now hang on, I don't think that they'd not be able to adapt the current (and quite possibly final) arc in this upcoming anime project. Especially considering they put not one but two direct references to it in the second OP for the second season even though it was not in the second season. I just think that they're going to quite sloppily bullshit it into the story like they did in the second season with it's bullshit new introduction for the Keeper and bullshit explanation for Yuji's high PoE. And I'd prefer starting over instead of sloppily adding in stuff that should've been there before but wasn't. It's just not consistent storytelling.
Just because they get there differently doesn't necessarily make it bad storytelling. The anime's explanation for Yuji's PoE made perfect sense in context, at least as much as "he got it from Sydonay's arm."
Old 2009-06-16, 12:33   Link #124
Terminator98
*Author

@Tokan:

What references are you talking about? Is it about the scene when Yuji and Shana are desesperately trying to hold hands, reaching out and the glasses breaks??

It might not be so, it might just mean the fluctuating, uncertain relationship that they had in season 2.
Old 2009-06-16, 23:00   Link #125
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Was your only point in making this argument to establish the distinction that sales don't necessarily correlate to Quality?
Sorry for the late reply, but yes. It was. I was just trying to counter a couple comments saying that sales –did- correlate to quality. I think I mentioned once or twice that that was my only aim. Also, I don't disagree with the point you were making about sales/popularity and sequels. Although I have a problem with its application in the industry, but that's a completely different discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
...then sales are all we've got. And they certainly aren't a bad guage; I still say that the general populace isn't so ridiculously stupid as to buy $60 DVDs with only a handful of episodes of a show they think was bad. There will be some wierdos, but as screwed up a world as it is out there, it's not that screwed up.
Kind of the thing here though, is that it's in no way the general populace that's mainly buying them. Especially when we're dealing with what, 9000 DVDs per volume was it? I don't have the time right now, but I'd like to talk about this point a bit more if I get a chance. (Starting with defining general populace.)
Old 2009-06-17, 00:49   Link #126
alvinkhorfire

At last, we may get some answers about Yuji's disappearing footsteps at the end of second season.
Old 2009-06-17, 01:37   Link #127
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

What makes you think they were Yuuji's footprints?
Old 2009-06-17, 01:51   Link #128
alvinkhorfire

It was just a guess. I cannot elaborate further as it may involve spoilers from novel. As such, let's just put it as disappearing footprints, shall we? There is Yuji's voiceover at the every end, stating something like "I has charged my life, believing in what lays ahead." I wonder what does he means by that.
Old 2009-06-17, 07:34   Link #129
Terminator98
*Author

"I has charged my life" ???? LOL

Yuji must have took Duracell...

Anyways, most of us know what's gonna happen. Unless the studio decide to change a lot of things...

And so far... Sabrac's still alive, he's supposed to be dead. Seems as we have this to cover up a few episodes.
Old 2009-06-17, 12:12   Link #130
Deathscyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
And so far... Sabrac's still alive, he's supposed to be dead.
Where did you get this info from?

Spoiler for novel spoilers:
Old 2009-06-17, 13:25   Link #131
Terminator98
*Author

Someone told me that he died in the novels... odd, you sure he's still alive in the novels?
Old 2009-06-17, 18:29   Link #132
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Kind of the thing here though, is that it's in no way the general populace that's mainly buying them. Especially when we're dealing with what, 9000 DVDs per volume was it? I don't have the time right now, but I'd like to talk about this point a bit more if I get a chance. (Starting with defining general populace.)
Well obviously "genral populace" here isn't "everybody in all of Japan" since not everybody in all of Japan buys anime. I'd think that would go without saying. But I think it's rather foolish and arrogant to say that all or even a majority of the people who bought from those 9000 DVDs per volume were so stupid as to blow $60 per DVD for a handful of epiosdes on a series they don't like.
Old 2009-06-18, 02:10   Link #133
alvinkhorfire

Correct me if I am wrong. I think that even the novels have not provided answers to these questions.
1. The origin of Shana: She has to be very popular and famous around the world that her capacity is large enough to contain Alastor when Alstor is summoned. What is her real name and who is she really? Shana is a name given to her by Yuji. The only thing we know about her origin is just that she is orphan (child or baby) picked up by Wilhelmina.

2. The reason of Yuji's death: At the very beginning, we knew that he is a mystes and already died a long time ago. How did this situation happen? How did Reiji Maigo somehow being transferred to him?

Hopefully, the future novels and the possible Season 3 can shed some light on these questions.
Old 2009-06-18, 02:51   Link #134
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
@Tokan:

What references are you talking about? Is it about the scene when Yuji and Shana are desesperately trying to hold hands, reaching out and the glasses breaks??

It might not be so, it might just mean the fluctuating, uncertain relationship that they had in season 2.
I was also referring to Shana writhing in pain while engulfed in black flames.
Old 2009-06-18, 03:34   Link #135
Terminator98
*Author

Ah, ok...

@alvinkhorfire: Yuji did die, that's all we know. He had already been eaten before, and who know, since when. However, it must have been destiny that Reiji Maigo was put into him ( did you forget? Hogous move randomly every time ).

And about shana's origin... we might as well never know... XD I'd preder plot development than this.
Old 2009-06-18, 03:39   Link #136
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. I think that even the novels have not provided answers to these questions.
1. The origin of Shana: She has to be very popular and famous around the world that her capacity is large enough to contain Alastor when Alstor is summoned. What is her real name and who is she really? Shana is a name given to her by Yuji. The only thing we know about her origin is just that she is orphan (child or baby) picked up by Wilhelmina.

2. The reason of Yuji's death: At the very beginning, we knew that he is a mystes and already died a long time ago. How did this situation happen? How did Reiji Maigo somehow being transferred to him?

Hopefully, the future novels and the possible Season 3 can shed some light on these questions.
You can't solve every insignificant mystery there is in a story because they're usually there as fan fodder so that the fans get to theorise. And you can't give complete and total closure to a story because it's not a good way of keeping fans even years after the end due to it being a deterrent from further interest.

Quite honestly, the things you mentioned aren't even important enough to be ever brought up.
Old 2009-06-18, 06:03   Link #137
alvinkhorfire

Thank you for your input.

Terminator98
Of course, plot development takes precedence over anything else. However, there is nothing wrong to dedicate a small amount of time to explain these two mysteries. I saw some posts a long time ago suggesting how Yuji was killed. The accuracy of such posts remain in doubt.

Tokkan
I see your point. Let's say we will watch the whole entire series once again after the end. Once time you watch it, you may have some interpretation. Still, no matter how you interpret it, yours will not be as correct as the author's interpretation. That is my point. How can you be sure that you have the right answer?
I can understand if the author want to keep such mysteries throughout the series, but I hope that they will be revealed near the end. I believe, that everything is being revealed, true hardcore Shana fan would still want to rewatch the series. If I know everything, I would still rewatch it. Honest!
Important or not important, they are still a part of this anime. Like I have said, they can dedicate just a small amount of time to explain such mysteries.
I have to admit that your view is more accurate than mine. Here, I am just voicing out my opinion. I just do not want the situation that many years later, I am still in dark over the answers to such mysteries.
Old 2009-06-18, 07:37   Link #138
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
I see your point. Let's say we will watch the whole entire series once again after the end. Once time you watch it, you may have some interpretation. Still, no matter how you interpret it, yours will not be as correct as the author's interpretation. That is my point. How can you be sure that you have the right answer?
Who says there is a 'right' answer? What if they leave something we really want to know ambiguous both in the novels and in the anime? Then any particular person's interpretation is no more or less valid than anyone else's. These particular questions are the kinds of things that are often left ambiguous, especially since it seems that for the story left to be told, we don't need to know any of that. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was left up to our personal interpretation. Besides, there's no way to answer absolutely all the questions a work can bring up. If they happened to tell us about Shana's origins further than what we know, and we learned, say, her parents' names and why they left her, we'd wonder further. Where are they now? Do they regret that decision (if it was a decision at all)? And answering those questions would only bring up new ones and so on.

Basically: It's impossible to know everything, because there are always questions.
Old 2009-06-18, 10:55   Link #139
Terminator98
*Author

spawnofthejudge said pretty much everything... XD

Doshte? Doshte? Naze? Naze?

BECAUSE!!!

One thing... Yuji was surely killed, and the Yuj we know is surely a torch... but what I can't understand is "why" he couldn't see the flame before... Or why didn't he become like Yukari... XD
Old 2009-06-18, 12:55   Link #140
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
It was just a guess. I cannot elaborate further as it may involve spoilers from novel. As such, let's just put it as disappearing footprints, shall we? There is Yuji's voiceover at the every end, stating something like "I has charged my life, believing in what lays ahead." I wonder what does he means by that.
yeah, i remembered that, when i saw it i was like , wow that is quite neat, now they wil be able to link it to the third season nicely.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen