AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-24, 04:35   Link #601
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
I thought she lived in the Marshall Islands, but I guess if she can just go for a stroll to Akiba...

I noticed that the art seemed a little off too, and I haven't found that since episode 3, but this was much more minor.
Well rich people have their own private helicopter or a cruise ship there's nothing money can't solve. agoraphobia is another issue but hilarity insure Kuniko is darn cute torturing Karin like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare
i did not notice the fall of art quality in eps 12

it is nice to know a bit more about Karin, although i still cannot figure what is her role...
There certainly was a drop but its negligible. Karin so far hasn't been major in any of the arc besides the creation of Medusa but her connection with Digma 0 might prove to be something later on. For now let’s enjoy our little kuma.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 19:21   Link #602
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiryuuKazumanosuke View Post
Ishida Finance, or one of its shell companies, was established in the Marshall Islands as a tax dodge. Its actual staff, all 3 of them, seem to live all around the world.
Is that from the book or are you messing with us again? And I always thought Karin was in Japan, why didn't anyone else think so?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 20:52   Link #603
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Quote:
Is that from the book or are you messing with us again? And I always thought Karin was in Japan, why didn't anyone else think so?
That would be the most retarded troll ever. "I made them all think that a fictional company in a cartoon was established in a notorious tax haven... BUT IT REALLY WASN'T!"

I'm not that lame; wasn't it discussed in the episode where they sent the Stealth Carrier after Medusa?
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 13:36   Link #604
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Spoiler for big picture:

nyoro~n
Old 2009-06-28, 21:55   Link #605
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
The Flying Girl!

Action, action, action!

We finally see Talshin and he turns out to be the Chairman of the Board of Atlas. That trumps Ryouko's President! And he comes to Japan at the same time as "Karin's parents" said they were coming to Japan. Hmm!!!

Confirmation that MEDUSA sank the stealth carrier.

The White Queen, more "off with their heads, off with their heads".

Great air action in the big assault on Atlas! An old B-2 bomber (but turboprop driven!), F16s, and really cool flying whatsits!

We finally see some real boomerang action, Kuniko taking out missiles and whatsits! And she and her friends have these great flying suits, with little wings. The B-2 goes down in a great aerial explosion.

Momoko has a new look again. That's very unusual in anime, as often the characters can only be told apart by their distinctive hair styles and outfits. The last time I saw so many changes in character looks was way back in Kiddy Grade.

Quote of the episode : "She really is wedged up her own ass." What does that mean?

And finally, Atlas heals itself.

About every second episode, they play a different ED theme, and I say "too bad", because I liked the old one, but then they keep going back to the old one. This episode they changed the ED pictures, and I liked them. I liked the old ones too.
Old 2009-06-28, 22:54   Link #606
iczelion74
Lost Soul

Quote:
I thought she lived in the Marshall Islands, but I guess if she can just go for a stroll to Akiba...
She lives in Atlas. Thats where she asked to have her packages shipped.
iczelion74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 18:05   Link #607
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Awesomely action filled episode, I just want to see who sent out the missles (I seriously thought they were flying umbrellas at first, and kudos to all the different military designs in this show, I am just now realizing how many there are and they all seem realistically feasible). I suspect it's Talshin since he ranks Ryoko and his agenda hasn't been explained yet (and just to make sure I'm talking about the right person, he is the man who has been talking to Karin AND the guy who appeared in this episode, correct?).
Quote:
Quote of the episode : "She really is wedged up her own ass." What does that mean?
I thought it was a variant off of having something stuck up your butt, some strange Japanese version of it?

Quote:
The White Queen, more "off with their heads, off with their heads".
If you're making an Alice in Wonderland reference I believe it's the red queen or queen of hearts who says that.
Old 2009-06-29, 19:08   Link #608
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Awesomely action filled episode, I just want to see who sent out the missles (I seriously thought they were flying umbrellas at first, and kudos to all the different military designs in this show, I am just now realizing how many there are and they all seem realistically feasible). I suspect it's Talshin since he ranks Ryoko and his agenda hasn't been explained yet (and just to make sure I'm talking about the right person, he is the man who has been talking to Karin AND the guy who appeared in this episode, correct?).
Ryouko says "..all capital defense systems are to be transferred to Zeus" and then the whatsits come out. So I thought Zeus sent them automatically. But Talshin did intervene with Zeus before through MEDUSA to take out Ryouko's stealth carrier. I still can't get over who's gonna pay for that. Those things don't come cheap!

The hardware was truly great! I thought of flying umbrellas too, but it didn't seem quite right. Rarely am I at a loss for words.
I was wrong about the fighters. They are actually F35s, the new Joint Strike Fighter that first flew in 2006. Pretty cool!
Was Kuniko all like PAA! and then DAA! on their asses or what?
Quote:
If you're making an Alice in Wonderland reference I believe it's the red queen or queen of hearts who says that.
You're right, but she's sooooo pale, it didn't seem appropriate. Interestingly, Talshin, talking about the wine she serves, says "Ryouko, red suits you better. A deep crimson, like blood."

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-29 at 21:31.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 22:03   Link #609
DangerMouse

Quote:

I thought it was a variant off of having something stuck up your butt, some strange Japanese version of it?

Quote:
Ryouko says "..all capital defense systems are to be transferred to Zeus" and then the whatsits come out. So I thought Zeus sent them automatically. But Talshin did intervene with Zeus before through MEDUSA to take out Ryouko's stealth carrier. I still can't get over who's gonna pay for that. Those things don't come cheap!

The hardware was truly great! I thought of flying umbrellas too, but it didn't seem quite right. Rarely am I at a loss for words.
I was wrong about the fighters. They are actually F35s, the new Joint Strike Fighter that first flew in 2006. Pretty cool!
Was Kuniko all like PAA! and then DAA! on their asses or what?You're right, but she's sooooo pale, it didn't seem appropriate. Interestingly, Talshin, talking about the wine she serves, says "Ryouko, red suits you better. A deep crimson, like blood."
Yeah I'm with you guys, that was an awesome episode with great hardware, action and the music was so wonderfully used. The different military designs are great aren't they; as wandering-dreamer said. Something I loved out of Last Exile, the AI fighter integrated holo-system was a cool (they hinted it was about to be integrated into Atlas military tech so it's nice to see the follow through their that we were all speculating about what they were going to use them on) and could become more of a prevalent weapon later in the show.

Holy crap at Talshin, that's a nice connection with how he pulled off what he managed to do earlier. Good call on pointing out the quote, I watched out for that when I watched the ep

And if Talshin is one of Karin's parents then that instant message back in either episode 2 or 3 where he said her parent's would/must be proud of her is extra special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker
We finally see some real boomerang action, Kuniko taking out missiles and whatsits! And she and her friends have these great flying suits, with little wings. The B-2 goes down in a great aerial explosion.

Momoko has a new look again. That's very unusual in anime, as often the characters can only be told apart by their distinctive hair styles and outfits. The last time I saw so many changes in character looks was way back in Kiddy Grade.
God that was good wasn't it, made for some really cool Kuniko action The plane shots were really cool as well, I loved the inventive ship design with the bad-ass blade-weapon (wouldn't be out of place as a Guild weapon). I also really enjoyed the sky colors for the time of day they set the sky action in. Takehiko had a few good lines in there, I'm guessing he'll have more to do next week now that their in.

You know, that's a good point about Momoko's appearance changes, this is pretty rare.

Aww, at Mikuni's reaction to Miko's talk about what the regular citizens are fighting for and how Mikuni would feel if Miko were gone. We discussed the possibility someone might eventually have that effect on her if she was ever going to lose her darker edge, but back at the very beginning of the show I doubt most would have picked it being Miko until after they had met way back when.

K.D. kinda reminded me a bit of cool old Doohan (I think that was his name) from Bebop, Spike's old mechanic from that one ep.
Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-06-29 at 22:19.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 23:54   Link #610
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
it's nice to see the follow through their that we were all speculating about what they were going to use them on
They did use it on the stealth carrier as well, disguising it as an oil tanker.
Quote:
if Talshin is one of Karin's parents
Or both. Mama didn't actually say anything, did she?
Quote:
We discussed the possibility someone might eventually have that effect on her if she was ever going to lose her darker edge
It's starting to look like they're all going to be converted. Canary is turning Karin, Miko is turning Mikuni, and Kuniko will turn Kunihito (Romance is in the air. She's already beaten him up!). Then they can all join the power of the Digma together to bring down the Evil Empire.
Old 2009-06-30, 00:27   Link #611
DangerMouse

Quote:
They did use it on the stealth carrier as well, disguising it as an oil tanker.Or both. Mama didn't actually say anything, did she?It's starting to look like they're all going to be converted. Canary is turning Karin, Miko is turning Mikuni, and Kuniko will turn Kunihito (Romance is in the air. She's already beaten him up!). Then they can all join the power of the Digma together to bring down the Evil Empire.
Ah yes, quite right, should have listed both times they've used it

And LOL.
Old 2009-06-30, 10:17   Link #612
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

What made me think that Talshin was behind the flying umbrellas was that their appearance took Ryoko by surprise and she had control of all the weapon systems by then.
And I just thought of something; it appeared at the end that Atlas was made out of some super smart material that can heal itself. If that's the case (and judging my Momoko's reaction this is either very new or very rare, at least very unexpected) I wonder why Atlas hasn't been building itself. I wonder if construction has been deliberately slowed down to keep more people out, I can't wait until we finally see the inside of Atlas.
Quote:
Or both. Mama didn't actually say anything, did she?
O.o The science of the future is great if only one parent is needed to make a kid, or did you mean that possibly Karin's mommy is dead?
Old 2009-06-30, 15:38   Link #613
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
What made me think that Talshin was behind the flying umbrellas was that their appearance took Ryoko by surprise and she had control of all the weapon systems by then.
Yeah, Talshin is still largely an unknown. He clearly has some kind of control over both MEDUSA and Zeus. He clearly has acted against Ryouko and continues to. Apparently he's the Chairman of Atlas and Ryouko is the President, yet they work at odds, in some kind of power struggle? I'm sure they have many secrets from each other, including motives.
Quote:
And I just thought of something; it appeared at the end that Atlas was made out of some super smart material that can heal itself. If that's the case (and judging my Momoko's reaction this is either very new or very rare, at least very unexpected) I wonder why Atlas hasn't been building itself. I wonder if construction has been deliberately slowed down to keep more people out, I can't wait until we finally see the inside of Atlas.
Yeah, Atlas seems to not be just a passive structure, but to have something of its own going on. And I felt it was intimated that it was somehow colluding with the Jungle, which also seems to have something going on.
Quote:
O.o The science of the future is great if only one parent is needed to make a kid, or did you mean that possibly Karin's mommy is dead?
Anything's possible at this point. It seems that Karin had a mommy originally, but she's apparently long gone. Although we do have candidates for what she may have become, i.e. pretty well any appropriately aged (real) female in the cast. Karin certainly believes she has parents, and communicates with "them", but anything could be behind those teddy bear parents, including something of her own creation. Talshin has power over MEDUSA, which is Karin's creation and the property of Ishida Finance.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-07-01 at 09:28.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 22:24   Link #614
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Well, well, well! Granny, Granny, Granny! - Nagiko Hojo, the First CEO of Atlas Corporation! And Magical Gina to boot! Quite a gal!

And in the picture, standing next to her... husband? brother? Talsian. Talsian says "I merely funded her dream".

Talsian is Ryouko's uncle. "Your true mother lives in Atlas." So that makes Ryouko at least Kuniko's aunt and maybe mother.
Old 2009-07-06, 17:59   Link #615
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Well, well, well! Granny, Granny, Granny! - Nagiko Hojo, the First CEO of Atlas Corporation! And Magical Gina to boot! Quite a gal!

And in the picture, standing next to her... husband? brother? Talsian. Talsian says "I merely funded her dream".

Talsian is Ryouko's uncle. "Your true mother lives in Atlas." So that makes Ryouko at least Kuniko's aunt and maybe mother.
Spoiler for Family revelations:

Anyway, good episode. Atlas is not what it seems (both literally and symbolically it appears, it was hinted at that there is a secret reason for Atlas as well, but I think everyone saw that one coming).
Can't wait for the next episode!
Old 2009-07-06, 21:39   Link #616
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

That's definitely Granny in the picture. There is no direct proof it is Talsian. Old and young both have glasses and a beard, hardly definitive, but I think it is, from the rest of the context.

Talsian and Granny don't share a last name, as we might expect siblings or spouses to. If they're not related, then Ryouko and Kuniko are not related. Still...

The preview for next week shows Kuniko and Momoko (still in her Atlas assault outfit of the day) having tea with Kunihito's mother.
Old 2009-07-07, 21:38   Link #617
DangerMouse

Awesome episode, information/revelations and fantastic cliffhanger. The holographic environment system was well used. The way the scifi elements continue to be fully integrated into everything in the show and more than superficial is fantastic.

Obviously can't wait for the next Kuniko/Nagiko discussion now, and the details surrounding her leaving Atlas (and how she ended up taking Kuniko with her) and the eventual formation of Metal-Age.

Kuniko was great to watch as usual, I've loved her progression and this has been some great payoff.

The second half is off to one hell of a great start with these two episodes!

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-07-07 at 23:11.
Old 2009-07-07, 22:50   Link #618
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The holographic environment system was well used.!
You sure called that one! I thought that the holographic stealth stuff was a minor plot point, but it's really become major.
Quote:
Kuniko was great to watch as usual, I've loved her progression and this is great payoff.
Remember when they used to complain that she was a sterotypical idealistic "Mary Sue"? And then they changed to complaining that she was a dumbass. She's still idealistic and she's still a dumbass (No pran, no idea!), but in a series of this length these facets can be combined with her experiences to develop quite a unique and interesting seasoned character.
Old 2009-07-08, 00:30   Link #619
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think that those of us who have stuck with this show are beginning to reap our reward.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 00:45   Link #620
DangerMouse

Quote:
You sure called that one! I thought that the holographic stealth stuff was a minor plot point, but it's really become major.Remember when they used to complain that she was a sterotypical idealistic "Mary Sue"? And then they changed to complaining that she was a dumbass. She's still idealistic and she's still a dumbass (No pran, no idea!), but in a series of this length these facets can be combined with her experiences to develop quite a unique and interesting seasoned character.
The way the tech has been imaginatively progressing and integrated in multiple ways has been a real treat.

Yup, I remember that and as you said how the complaints changed as she addressed them with experience, and it's been great watching her develop with those experiences.

Tags
gonzo, science fiction