AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-06, 21:47   Link #1
dasrune
smh

Young Adults

looking for a few series that center around meaningful relationships between young adults. i know this isn't the most popular genre, so any help i can get would be great. thanks!

here are a few examples of series i have enjoyed:
- kids on the slope (h.s. but it avoids the usual cliches)
- white album
- honey & clover
- 5cm per second (i realize it starts out in h.s. aswell)
- usagi drop
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:54   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Sounds tricky but why don't you give Rumbling Hearts and Ef: Tales of Memories a shot if you haven't seen them that is. I'm sure they'll fit your requirements.
Old 2012-09-06, 22:07   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nodame Cantabile would be my first choice. The characters attend a college-level classical music conservatory. It has a central couple, but it focuses on their individual development as well as romance.

Other good choices include REC, Planetes, and Oh! Edo Rocket. All of them have characters in their late teens and early twenties. The last two are set in 2064 and 1843.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 00:20   Link #4
Mr.Inferno

my wife is a high school girl

Rec
Mr.Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 07:36   Link #5
kaitanuva

Spice and Wolf (I & II)

It's about a merchant and a wolf goddess travelling together. Technically the goddess is hundreds of years old but she's in a 15 year old girl's body.

Last edited by kaitanuva; 2012-09-07 at 07:49.
kaitanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 07:37   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku would be my first suggestion.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 05:55   Link #7
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Ah! My Goddess! may fit. Though it depends on your definition of "meaningful relationship". Here it's mostly emotional and only tiny bit physical.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 09:27   Link #8
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

I agree with REC. hope this helps haha
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 11:06   Link #9
dasrune
smh

planetes, rec, and spice & wolf are all really great series, but i have seen them unfortunately. i tried ah! my goddess and ef: trail of memories and wasn't feeling either. maison ikkoku seems like a steep investment but i am going to give that and nodame cantabile a go. thanks again for all your suggestions and if you have any more let me know.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:21   Link #10
Flame-X
Anti-fan

I'm not sure what meaningful relationships you're looking for but here's a few examples I suggest.

Gungrave (skip the first ep)
Onegai Teacher
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Golden Boy
Eden of the East
Old 2012-09-08, 11:24   Link #11
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Kimi ni Todoke
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 21:52   Link #12
jte742

You may like the OVA Voices of a Distant Star, which is an earlier work from the same person who made 5 Centimeters Per Second. It is only 25 minutes long, but it tells a very nice story about two people (both 15 years old at the beginning, but 16 and 25 at the end - you'll see how that happens if you watch) finding out what they really mean to each other.

Last edited by jte742; 2012-09-08 at 23:13.
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:06   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are a few more that I have thought of since my original posting:

Welcome to the NHK!
Kuragehime
Honey and Clover
Saiunkoku Monogatari

Baccano! and Black Lagoon are action shows with characters in their early twenties. I don't know whether you'd term their relationships as "meaningful," however. There are a variety of couples in Baccano!, but their emotional relationships are not the focus of the story. The two main characters in Black Lagoon, Rock and Revy, have a "meaningful relationship" that might or might not be romantic.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee might also have some appeal, especially since you list Usagi Drop as a referent. Kurenai also might be an option though the mains are sixteen and seven. Most of the rest of the cast are young women in their teens and twenties.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 20:14   Link #14
dasrune
smh

seems like i may have exhausted this genre, as i have seen a lot of the series mentioned (welcome to the nhk, ikoku meiro no croisee, baccano, golden boy, and eden of the east). i will be adding voices of a distant star and kuragehime to the list of things to watch. i really appreciate all the suggestions and hope that other people check out the series mentioned in this post.
Old 2012-09-10, 13:34   Link #15
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
You might want to try to double up your transition for that genre by looking into some manga as well as anime. You could start by trying to check out titles like Kono S o, Mi Yo and Natsu no Zenjitsu. I'd also GREATLY recommend the Korean webtoon Cheese in the Trap. Masterfully crafted story, if you can get over how it looks(many people can't). It is so great, that after the author issued a C&D order to stop translation, a group came up with the original idea of reading the translation directly on the publisher's website. Yes, its that good. Take a peek of ch1 and ch2 if you'd like =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 18:23   Link #16
dasrune
smh

really wish series like the ones mentioned in the above post would get anime adaptions, but that's probably not very likely.