AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-04-05, 00:27   Link #41
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^ ...Of which we are not likely going to see the outcome of. 2nd ranking has it last in 13th place. Mangaka shot himself in the foot.
Old 2017-04-05, 01:41   Link #42
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
^ ...Of which we are not likely going to see the outcome of. 2nd ranking has it last in 13th place. Mangaka shot himself in the foot.

oh man, and i saw ch8 a few minutes ago,

not that bad if im honest, the sudden twist in the premise makes the bad guys seem like evil masterminds and the entire story could really develop well...

but i guess in 3 to 4 weeks we will get it axed as well just like red sprite, demons plan and amalgam of distortion
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 02:29   Link #43
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

It could potentially turn itself around but i dont have strong hopes for it.

The issue is pacing. Its not that the Adult Party's plan is unfathomable or anything; its just that we've learned about it too soon. There's no mystery. We haven't learned anything interesting about the group that the MC joined or about other libido users and powers. We've been given the backstory for the setting but it's just completely bonkers.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with having a completely bonkers setting but only if you do one of two things:

1. Don't play it straight from the beginning
2. Let us get used to the bonkers setting by giving it to us in small doses.

Only afterwards can you shift things into serious territory and play your hand (see Gintama or Reborn! Or One Piece even!).

U19 played it straight from the beginning and vomited its entire bonkers setting backstory and main bad guy plan within 10 chapters.

What a disaster.

Sad thing being that behind all of this are some interesting elements and ideas. The slow reveal of the MCs powers and him not wanting to look at his genetic test result. Having the heroine return the MCs feelings early in the story. The MC having a non-standard power (at least initially. Now its just too broad...). Having the MCs friend standing up for him when it looked like he was a background character. Having MC, BF and CPrez being on the same page and totally pulling one over the shitty teacher in a somewhat amusing way.

These are all pluses in my book. Better than Red Sprite and Demon's Plan.

Alas, the clichés, the art, the over dramatic beginning, the bonkers setting and pacing just overshadowed everything.
Old 2017-04-05, 03:05   Link #44
LevelSeven

Quote:
the art,
agree with everything but that part confused me, do you think the art is bad?

because i would count it as one of the good things this story has,
strangely enough, red sprite and demons plan also had quite a nice artstyle but all failed in delivering the important 10 chapters

i think this series would have saved itself from the very beginning if this whole current issue was a gaint flashback arc appearing at around ch20,

before that we see the MC and his friends fighting and planning bombings and assasinations, basically a "kind of realistic" depiction of a starting civil war,

and only THAN we will go back to this point and explain what happened in the past, it would give 20 chapters for the chars to gather fans and make itself unique in setting up a long flashback arc rather early in the story,

that is probably the only way this series could have survived with his strange setting, it made sense later on but that is now a bit to late
Old 2017-04-05, 04:25   Link #45
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Well... art is always going to be subjective. One Piece, for example, can either have the best/imaginative art in all of WSJ or have the worst/ugliest depending on who you talk to.

For me, I was put off by the art in the first chapter. Honestly, I've made peace with the fact that the villains are supposed be cartoonishly evil with out-there character designs. I'm okay with that now.

My problem is that the character art for the students who we are supposed to be rooting for ranges from bland to crap. Maybe given time I coud get used to it (again see One Piece's early chapters), but right now I think it has the worst art out of all of the New 6 WSJ series (even We Can't Learn!'s art is just 'meh').

===

U19 needed to keep the mystery/intrigue somehow. Whether through plot or powers or atmosphere. But now it doesn't have any cards left to play.

But goddammit; we already have Kimetsu no Yaiba and The Promised Neverland as shining examples of excellent new WSJ series that know how to do this with exceptional pacing. How did it go so wrong so quickly??
Old 2017-04-05, 06:29   Link #46
LevelSeven

Quote:
My problem is that the character art for the students who we are supposed to be rooting for ranges from bland to crap. Maybe given time I coud get used to it (again see One Piece's early chapters), but right now I think it has the worst art out of all of the New 6 WSJ series (even We Can't Learn!'s art is just 'meh').
ah,

i thought you meant art in "quality of panels" which is above average(in comparison look at amalgam or fire punch),
but of course the style is always subjective and i can understand where you are coming from,
the designs of anyone seems to be quite bland and "average", the MC got a bit more "shiny design stuff" but it still doesnt feel that amazing...
Quote:
U19 needed to keep the mystery/intrigue somehow. Whether through plot or powers or atmosphere. But now it doesn't have any cards left to play.
thats true
Quote:
But goddammit; we already have Kimetsu no Yaiba and The Promised Neverland as shining examples of excellent new WSJ series that know how to do this with exceptional pacing. How did it go so wrong so quickly??
i would have understood it if this was a series relying on flashy powers and straight forward fighting with a simple plot like "becoming the strongest" or "taking revenge"...
in such storys mystery can be avoided to 100%(example: baki, ippo etc),

but U19 did the move most fighting-storys do and put up the challenge right in front of the reader which makes it a lot less attractive,
i personally could overlook this if the setting was more attractive,
i mean BNHA is a reallllly hyped series but it also gave us everything the plot has to offer in 50-90 chapters, it made clear mystery is a small part of the story
Old 2017-04-05, 08:23   Link #47
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
i mean BNHA is a reallllly hyped series but it also gave us everything the plot has to offer in 50-90 chapters, it made clear mystery is a small part of the story
U WOT M8!? BNHA is doing just fine. If you're talking about mysteries only then there are still a few things it hasn't covered but the story is in cruise control now. It definitely hasn't offered everything yet.
Old 2017-04-05, 11:50   Link #48
LevelSeven

Quote:
U WOT M8!? BNHA is doing just fine. If you're talking about mysteries only then there are still a few things it hasn't covered but the story is in cruise control now. It definitely hasn't offered everything yet.
never said the story is bad or anything, it just isnt the type to have build a complex layer around the evil guy,
but i admit, i forgot the plot-point with the traitor inside UA

and aside from that minor mystery i really cant remember anything else...
- the drug which seems to negate quirks is more or less confirmed to come form the loli (bt i dont have a proof just a feeling :/)
- and....AFOs big plan is also to reform society, the same for shiagaraki and overhaul, obviously the way "how" they will do it is part of the plot that will be shown...

in U19 the mystery for the bad guys is gone due to exposition but the plot for the good guys is still there, i mean we dont know any of the grand plan of the revolution-group so that is what the story will focus on...

but as i said, the setting is the problem, if the setting of the series was better (interesting as other successful shounen with the same type of storytelling(eg BNHA)) i dont think we would complain about the reveals and such (at least im 90% sure i wouldnt )
Old 2017-04-05, 18:50   Link #49
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Had a response typed up but i accidentally deleted it. Here's the abridged version:
  • BNHA has shown it can build complex heroes. There's hope for just as complex villains in the future. Also Stain/Shigaraki yada yada yada.
  • I guess you're right in that mystery is not a major driving force behind BNHA's plot. Still not zero mystery and definitely not the same as U19 throwing out everything.
  • U19 is still crap...... There was a point to this but it got deleted...
Old 2017-04-06, 05:49   Link #50
LevelSeven

Quote:
BNHA has shown it can build complex heroes. There's hope for just as complex villains in the future. Also Stain/Shigaraki yada yada yada.
im sorry, i worded it wrongly,
what imeant while i said "complex layer around the villians" was that there is on mystery surrounding them... not like the one from toaru, where we know basically..not much :/
Quote:
U19 is still crap.....
cant disagree with that
Old 2017-04-23, 11:12   Link #51
LevelSeven

ch10

the powers of the MCs backup are revelaed,

the girl can create "things" by emitting their sound, basically: she hears a machine gun fire and recreates it which will than have the same effect (eg: shooting bullets roughly into a specific place),

the tall boy can harden his body and it seems like he also increases his weigth by doing that

and the MC showed another form of his power, it is called "thousand fists" or so, he creates a lot of fists out of strings and hits people with them

it is also revealed that the big bad and his team knew about the rumor of "libido", and now they want to use his opportunity in order to see if it is something real or not

to be honest, the series got quite bearable after getting the evil guys plan, sad that it will mostlikely get axed
maybe in a different magazine the author will have more chances doing such a story :/
Old 2017-04-24, 04:45   Link #52
zztop

In the latest WSJ release, U19's author says he's "working hard on releasing Vol 1 of the U19 tankoubon for June, it's like a dream (come true)".
http://readms.net/r/wsjac/%2342/4190/2

We'll see if that dream becomes a nightmare of cancellation soon.

The author also says he has no problems with his (spring) pollen allergies this year...because he never goes out anyway.
"I don't know if I should be happy or sad..."
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-24, 05:01   Link #53
LevelSeven

i would just follow this series only to see what kind of powers the MC develops throughout the series XD