Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-01, 12:59   Link #1981
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Visuals do work better than words, and episode 35 has shown us at least five different sides of Aoba, usually we don't get to see so much variations of her in one episode timespan.

1) The "new" Aoba.

The proof that Aoba has changed a lot towards Kou, now their debates turn to be more of a wordplay (I'm sure both seiyuu must have had fun dubbing this scene), but while still trying to be antagonizing at times, in Ao-chan there are no signs of real bitterness anymore. She can fake it, but she doesn't mean it.

2) The playful Aoba.

This is the Aoba we've been seeing starting from her 1st year of high school, but now without animosity. She of all people wants to know how many chocolates Kou has got, after all the times she cursed him in the past for not minding his business. Teasing yet composed, courteous yet malicious, serious yet cheerful.

3) The honest Aoba.

She's alone in this scene, so she can be honest with her feelings with no worries (well, after he made sure Kou wasn't peeking, of course). "Should I buy him chocolates or should I not?". Of course she does, and for once she follows what her heart says, instead of her mind.

4) The resigned Aoba.

No good, Akane's appearance brings to the surface Aoba's weaknesses. Mostly for what she represents than for who she really is, Akane is the hurdle Aoba doesn't even try to challenge. She's back to listening to her mind, saying that Kou and Akane is the best possible scenario, and that she must step back for everyone's sake, even if that goes at her own expenses.

5) The upset Aoba.

One thing is to escape from a situation that makes you feel uneasy, another thing, much more painful, is to keep thinking about it. Furthermore, when you learn that the two of them seems to be actually progressing on her relationship and even your big sister tells you that might be the ideal solution. Even for someone as strong as Aoba, that is a lot to swallow, so the convenient apparition of Mizuki allows her all in once a) to avoid Azuma b) to get some fresh air c) to swing a bit, swinging is good for distressing.

So much for 20 minutes. I can say one thing for sure, no matter what will happen, Aoba will remain of the most complicated and intriguing characters I've faced in all my anime history.
Old 2009-12-01, 20:43   Link #1982
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I can say that, for my part, it was absolutely intentional.
And I for mine, that the avatar was my suggestion!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:45   Link #1983
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

@Pellissier: Nice image montage you got there. And I agree, while this episode was quite complete in terms of showing (or insinuating) all the main characters and were they are standing in respect to each other, Aoba is the one that got the spotlight out of all of them.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 00:49   Link #1984
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

(sorry for the double post)

After seeing the episode for the 4th time (...) I noticed that when Ichijo mentioned that Akane would eventually get on with Kou if she's that similar to Wakaba, she was giving quite an interesting look to Aoba, almost as if intending to get a reaction from her. Just for those who say they feel betrayed by Ichijo.

In any case, I've got to say I just love the OST in this series.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 01:09   Link #1985
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
(sorry for the double post)

After seeing the episode for the 4th time (...) I noticed that when Ichijo mentioned that Akane would eventually get on with Kou if she's that similar to Wakaba, she was giving quite an interesting look to Aoba, almost as if intending to get a reaction from her. Just for those who say they feel betrayed by Ichijo.
Now that I think about it, you're right. Ichijo (Ichiyo?) was probably giving her that look not only to get a reaction but probably a way to tell Aoba that she should make her move before it's too late.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 01:38   Link #1986
xKeen

Nice cute scenes of Aoba you got there

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 04:21   Link #1987
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Now that I think about it, you're right. Ichijo (Ichiyo?) was probably giving her that look not only to get a reaction but probably a way to tell Aoba that she should make her move before it's too late.
I agree that it's a subtle warning to Aoba from big-sis Ichiyo that she's got a real rival now for Kou. It's one thing to defer to your (now deceased) sister, but seeing as Akane is even originally from the neighborhood, Kou is now fair game. Aoba needs to treat her relationships like baseball -- with straight forward determination.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 00:19   Link #1988
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
I can't wait to see the final match-Koshien.I don't read the manga,so I don't know.I think it would be very heartwarming to see that,since there are no females who entered Koshien before?and also made wakaba's dream come true.This isn't a spoiler,just what I want.I hope they spend a few episodes on the Koshien match.The matches up to now gets me excited throughout the episodes.
Agreed. I too would like them to spend a few episodes once they reach Koshein, for everything builds up to that point. Can't be too far from now, there are only 16 episodes left of this wonderful series.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 01:03   Link #1989
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No doubt Koshien is a major milestone in the series, but for me everything builds to the point where Kou and Aoba finally get past their demons and stubbornness and stupidity and admit they love each other. Chu! Even Koshien takes a back seat to that if you're talking about the dramatic climax of the show.

No, not a spoiler - haven't read the manga. just a hope.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2009-12-03 at 02:14.
Old 2009-12-03, 01:32   Link #1990
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No doubt Koshien is a major mikestone in the series, but for me everything builds to the point where Kou and Aoba finally get past their demons and stubbornness and stupidity and stupidity and admit they love each other. Chu! Even Koshien takes a back seat to that if you're talking about the dramatic climax of the show.

I can't agree more As much as I love baseball and the excitement that radiates from the thought, I don't think it will top a moment of romance between Kou and Aoba (I'm also hoping this becomes a reality.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 01:44   Link #1991
sunwen

How to make Aoba

40g of Pitching
25g of Batting
15g of Death cook
5g of Covering embarrassment
95kg of Hard to say I love Koh
sunwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 02:12   Link #1992
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwen View Post
40g of Pitching
25g of Batting
15g of Death cook
That makes her... quite a heavy young lady.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 02:15   Link #1993
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
That makes her... quite a heavy young lady.
"I want you
I want you so bad
I want you,
I want you so bad
It’s driving me mad, it’s driving me mad."

- Kitamura Kou's subconscious
Old 2009-12-03, 03:44   Link #1994
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

What are the chances that we'll ever see any sort of close proximity contact between these two?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 04:20   Link #1995
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No doubt Koshien is a major milestone in the series, but for me everything builds to the point where Kou and Aoba finally get past their demons and stubbornness and stupidity and admit they love each other. Chu! Even Koshien takes a back seat to that if you're talking about the dramatic climax of the show.

Good point. I see CG more as a slice of life/school/romance type of series than a baseball one, however I have also grown to appreciate the baseball aspect of the show and just baseball in general. As I have said before, this show does a lot of things well, including the baseball aspect of it (IMO).

Quote:
40g of Pitching
25g of Batting
15g of Death cook
That would make Aoba over 200+ lbs of pure muscle... I mean how else can she throw a fast ball like that? She's gotta be somewhat beastly.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 04:40   Link #1996
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Have you guys seen the girls on those "Be like Aoba" promos at the end of the episodes? That would kinda be what Aoba should look like in real life, I guess...

Okay, not a pretty picture...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 04:51   Link #1997
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Has Adachi ever paired up the main couple before the series ends? Yes or no answer please (since I"m still on ep 83 of touch).

*Speaking of touch, Kashibawa has made the last 15 episodes or so soooo annoying to watch.
Old 2009-12-03, 05:17   Link #1998
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
Has Adachi ever paired up the main couple before the series ends? Yes or no answer please (since I"m still on ep 83 of touch).
Yes, it has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
*Speaking of touch, Kashibawa has made the last 15 episodes or so soooo annoying to watch.
You will turn to appreciate what the character provides the show with. Interesting stories need interesting bad guys. In the case of Touch, the manga (especially the ending) is way above the anime, from my view. You should give it a chance if you appreciated the anime.

Speaking of manga to anime adaptations, I won't detail it here but I just re-read Cross Game around the point the anime reached and I was surprised by how many little differences there are in the way that Valentine Day was depicted in both versions. More to talk about in the manga thread.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 07:21   Link #1999
sunwen

Romance wasn't built in a day.

For manga heroes, the toughest rival in love is the deceased.

refer to Maison Ikkoku.
It took more than three years until their first kiss.
sunwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 07:40   Link #2000
poko-kun

Quote:
For manga heroes, the toughest rival in love is the deceased.

refer to Maison Ikkoku.
It took more than three years until their first kiss.

Well.... We need some fast tracks.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports