AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-13, 17:03   Link #81
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And the comparison with Ouran also makes little sense to me, except for the bare fact of one girl and several guys. It was just accident that this came out now, it seems to me, considering the lead times necessary for producing an anime. They might have rushed or delayed it one season, I suppose. But I'm no expert in the business of anime, so maybe.

The humor is completely and totally different from Ouran -- and much funnier to me (and perhaps me alone?) than Ouran ever was. Let them scream, I say. Certainly, let's see more of Sunako. I love her voice, and I love the way her personality is developing. I'm sure she will end up dominating the situation, and I'm enjoying watching it happen.
Hey, you've got a powerful ally in me

And I am losing patience of these ouran fans never really read the manga and keep comparing and such. It is just totally different, and how many times they want people to repeat that?

And it is not so much my fair lady moment in manga either -- dont wanna spoil anything but you eventually will find this out. Though admittedly sunako did change, it never turned out to be what her aunt and etc really want.....

Last edited by chucky; 2006-10-13 at 19:46.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 19:42   Link #82
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

The only thing that could relate Ouran with PGE is the fact that the producers wanted to take advantage of Ouran popularity and make $$$ with a similar (in the not-your-typical-shoujo area) style.
Except for that, I dont think there is some similarity in the shows, maybe the fact that the 2 protagonist are weird
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 22:51   Link #83
Rubbersoul

I just watched the fansub of the first episode. Man, I thought it was awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting the second one. x)
Rubbersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 23:22   Link #84
Leina
100% Fangirl

Am I the only one who wasn't completely blown away by the anime? I much prefer the manga, or at least the art in the manga. I guess the main thing that bugged me was the often very plain (possibly one coloured) backgrounds.

Other than that, I still found episode one to be extremelely funny =)
Leina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 01:17   Link #85
Sakuya
*Artist

That was the most funny anime since School Rumble. Actually, School Rumble didn't even have these off the wall humor. I felt that this was much better than the manga since all the characters are brought to life.

Spoiler for Episode 2 spoiler! Don't read!:

Anyway, I thought I would not like this series given the genre and the super bishounen but I will be happily waiting for the next episode from now on. I wonder how it will end?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 02:12   Link #86
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leina View Post
Am I the only one who wasn't completely blown away by the anime? I much prefer the manga, or at least the art in the manga. I guess the main thing that bugged me was the often very plain (possibly one coloured) backgrounds.

Other than that, I still found episode one to be extremelely funny =)
I wasn't very impressed with the first episode. I find the show aesthetically unpleasing. Even after reading the manga, I just can't get used to how bad the art is (it's not TOO bad most of the time, but sometimes... especially when they draw the shorter blonde one.... ughhh, creepy).

I thought the pacing was odd and the jokes weren't that great or well-timed, but again, probably because it was all old news to me after reading the manga. I need to stop reading things. T_T

Oh well. At least Sunako is interesting... I'm very underwhelmed by this show, but I might stick around to see what happens to Sunako.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 00:52   Link #87
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

I'm pretty happy with the series so far -- one of the things that stands out the most to me so far is the awesome sound-effect work. The nose-bleed sound is really inspired.

I prefer this style of humor to Ouran -- which I found sweetly funny, but not enough to really make me laugh. On the other hand, I loved the fish scene and laughed out loud (although, I missed the fact that the fish's head didn't go flying off like it did in the manga).

I also find Sunako to be an overall more interesting character than Haruhi. Haruhi was so well rounded (very cute, very personable, very caring, very understanding... etc.) that it is hard for me to relate to her. Sunako has more truly human faults and I find it much easier to enjoy what happens around her.

Anyway, YNSH obviously won't be for everyone, but I think that those who do enjoy it will be in for a fun ride.
Zoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 01:12   Link #88
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Saw the first ep subbed with friends. All I can say is that --having never read the manga--I sure as hell hope they keep up the comedy. The first episode had more references to "The Ring" and similar horror movies that it had us all laughing off our seats (Sunako = Sadako, get it?). Not to mention this is the first Anime I've seen wherein the girls get nosebleeds over guys (if there have been any before, I've failed to see it, or else it wasn;'t nearly as hilariously done).

Heck, I'm already convincing friends of mine to at least give this series a shot with the following "High Concept" tagline:

"The F4 babysits Sadako!"

I think I have a couple dozen guys and girls interested. >D

Gripe, though: "Wallflower" sounds a bit too tame for the US Title. I was hoping they'd at least find something more to tone with the humor of the series, as opposed to that.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 17:37   Link #89
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

Hmm, the second episode sure didn't disappoint, Sunako's unique personality should be enough to make for a very funny show. I think I misjudged this show, it's not as serious as I had thought. It's just a comedy, with the potential to be really good. But man Sunako is so weird that it's cute.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 19:02   Link #90
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
I like My Fair Lady, so I actually like this even though I don't like how they draw the guys.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 19:19   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

At least one poster who has read the manga says that the "My Fair Lady" comparison is offbase.... but so far it is what the premise looks like though these guys are looking to leech living quarters rather than prove a point.

On another tangent... is this one of those situations where whether she looks pretty or not depends on who is looking and how they think rather than some consensus?
Old 2006-10-15, 19:42   Link #92
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
As a lot of people have already stated really looks like Ouran. I cant blame the studio for wanting to latch on the Ourans popularity. YNSH looks like its going to have some good laughs and will be amusing to watch. But my prediction is it wont be able to hold most peoples attention and about mid way through the series your going to start seeing people drop it. Thats just what i think however a bunch a guys trying to make their make rent by turning an creepy reclusive girl into a hottie seems like it could be kind of fun. Nothing really stood out to me in the first episode yea it was funny but i didnt find my self wanting to rewatch the funny parts. Oh well maybe i will warm up to it a little more after a couple of more eps come out
Old 2006-10-15, 20:28   Link #93
Ori

The manga was out a long time ago... so I don't get why people say this is copying Ouran. Just because this is out after Ouran doesn't mean they are copying them. They probably decided to make this into an anime before Ouran got popular or maybe even started, you know.

The art is driving away lots of people, I think, so this will never become as popular as Ouran, I have no doubt about that.

But I do find this funny. And I think this does have potential seeing who directs it -- the nose bleed really remind me of Excel Saga - but maybe that's just me.

Edit: I just read some of the manga... The jokes have a very different feel than the ones in Ouran High School Host Club. The two manga are VERY different. Ouran's jokes are all cute and innocent ie) Tamaki being the silly and over dramatic, Haruhi being aloof and clueless, the twins being the twins, Honey being overly cute but simutaneously a secret karate master.... The stories usually invovle almost everyone...

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge is for an older audience. Many of their jokes are semi kinky especially as the series progresses. The manga actually have more parallels to Hana Yori Dango than Ouran High School Host Club. It's kind of like Hana Yori Dango on crack, minus the drama and plus the humour.

I wonder if they will keep some of the kinky jokes in the anime... semi-guiltily I kind of want to see some of them animated.

Last edited by Ori; 2006-10-16 at 01:24. Reason: I just read manga
Old 2006-10-16, 07:16   Link #94
Skane
Anime Snark

Since nobody has done it yet.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-16, 09:50   Link #95
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I wouldn't compare this to any other anime (because it is really 'unique'). Ep 1 was kind of painful to watch. The style sure will keep me away. These guys are not bishies. They're like females wearing make-ups with male voices. The girl is ok but I don't think I want to cringe looking at those guys anymore.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 09:51   Link #96
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I understand if these two series are said in the same sentence.

But I fail to understand how these two series can be compared, and concluded that one is better than the other. Having your preference is fine, but these are two different series.

(Just that Yamanande causes me to lose it with its hilarious tactics, and it helps that Sunako is just, so, so darling with her skulls and all. XD)
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 10:06   Link #97
kuromitsu

(Everyone keeps saying "Ouran and Yamato nadeshiko are not the similar! They can't be compared to each other!" So... I wonder, why is everyone still comparing them to each other? ^^;;; No, really, it's been going on for the last couple of pages, no-one's talking about anything else.)

Anyway, I can see why the two could be compared: both are bishounen manga/anime (I'd say harem but people'd bite me for it) that try to make fun of the genre in their own ways. The thing is, in my opinion, Ouran does a much better job at it, especially the anime (I don't really like where the manga's been going in the recent chapters) that managed to transcend the genre boundaries which is, I believe, all thanks to Enokido Youji (the guy who wrote FLCL, Melody of Oblivion, and most importantly, Utena). I can't say much about the Yamato nadeshiko anime, as it just started, but the manga, while had a good start (managed to keep me reading even though I really disliked the art), lost its momentum quite early and turned into a standard bishounen sitcom fluff without any direction, character development or pretense of a story. The only interesting character is Sunako, and even she became boring after some time. In my opinion, of course, everyone is welcome to disagree.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 10:18   Link #98
Lotiman

The 1st episode was great. It was so funny. Their drawing method is similar to those in manga. The part where Sunako chopping the fish is funny.

Though Ouran and Yamato Nadeshiko tell about many guys and 1 girl but the story is somehow different from each other. I prefer Sunako character over Haruhi.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 12:52   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't see that the like or dislike for either show has to be binary ("we loves our precioussses and hates the other!") but really there's zero similiarity outside of:
1) same "girl comic" art style.
2) inverse harem (1 girl, 4 guys) with one obvious leader

There was a lot of "ooh, if you like Ouran you'll like this" early on that made little sense.

For my part, I'm having some trouble enjoying the art style of the guys ... even more so than I initially did with Ouran. It isn't the "femme styling"... it is that the eyes of the guys just seem "pan saucer dead" especially the young one. They're saying the lines but I'm not getting the feeling through the facial expressions. Comparing the animation and art with with shows like H&C/Bokura or even Ouran -- those just seem to have done a better job of facial animation and eye expression. As usual, (imo)(ymmv)(no express warranty).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-16 at 13:52.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 18:49   Link #100
Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
For my part, I'm having some trouble enjoying the art style of the guys ... even more so than I initially did with Ouran. It isn't the "femme styling"... it is that the eyes of the guys just seem "pan saucer dead" especially the young one. They're saying the lines but I'm not getting the feeling through the facial expressions. Comparing the animation and art with with shows like H&C/Bokura or even Ouran -- those just seem to have done a better job of facial animation and eye expression. As usual, (imo)(ymmv)(no express warranty).
I hate the art too. It's ugly. I hate guys that look like transexual. That's what you get when makers are too lazy to retouch character designs before they start animating stuff.

But then, I like the way the characters interact with each other, and it's kind of humour so I will keep watching, despite the fact I hate the art.

Also at book 15, I feel the manga is getting somewhere... in certain aspects. Where as in Ouran, I don't think they are really getting anywhere. But maybe that's just cause while the Ouran guys are never going to graduate, in this series people actually age.

I think the character design works so much better in the manga. I will get you non manga reading guys some scans one of these daysso you can see how much better they look.

Last edited by Ori; 2006-10-16 at 23:25. Reason: After thought