AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 11.5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 16.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 16.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 30.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 5.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-09, 11:16   Link #21
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
That was a point prototype_sky made, not I.
Oops! Sorry about that.

Quote:
Actually I don't even agree with it. He's not getting back at them, or anyone else for that matter. More than anything he is burrowing deep within his own shell.
Yup, that's how I see it.

Quote:
To be fair there wasn't any occasion when the others really needed him yet. So far it's all been really whimsical. The only exception so far was the case with Chitanda remembering what her uncle said.
Ah, the uncle. But he didn't really want to help her, nor did he consider her a friend, more like a pain in the neck than anything else. Seems like he still considers her a pain in the neck, but he now can't help thinking of a different target area of her anatomy.
Old 2012-07-09, 20:31   Link #22
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
What was he "getting back at them" for? Anyway, I don't think that was his intent. He was just being his dull, boring, usual stick-in-the-mud self.
This could be also be true, but you have to admit they where trying to get a rise out of him with the exception of his crush. I mean he was working so it wasn't like he could fully socialize . I knew a co worker who would behave just like this guy did some people read it like you as him being shy others believed he was being snobbish
Old 2012-07-10, 15:27   Link #23
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Yes indeed ... the video quality was quite poor indeed. Still - on the whole I enjoyed the ep. I esp enjoyed seeing Chitanda becoming a little self-conscious around Oreki.

I also liked seeing the effects of ep 11 on Oreki. His friends truly were there for him, and it was kinda sweet to see.
Old 2012-07-10, 23:06   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Finally got around to watching this (and Episode 12).

I think I know what they were going for here. And in many ways they were successful... but it was still a bit painful to watch Oreki be this grumpy.

However, this did allow the rest of the cast to shine a bit, and to show just how good and faithful and caring friends they are to one another.

It was heartwarming to see Eru, Mayaka, and Satoshi so obviously go to great lengths to try to cheer up Oreki.

And in this episode we see how, in spite of her insatiable curiosity, a guy couldn't have a much better girlfriend (or even just friend) than Eru.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-07-10 at 23:26.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:08   Link #25
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I liked the way Hotarou's relationship with his sister was portrayed in that little interaction when he was on the phone. Tomoe walks by, and just starts touching him affectionately, and he reacts with such irritation at her being so familiar, but it's not enough to interrupt his conversation. Yup, they're family alright.
Old 2012-07-13, 16:47   Link #26
Somnus
Eh?

Love Oreki's sister.

Love bikini Chitanda with ponytail. (<- was particularly effective against me)

Not much of an accomplishment, but I figured the answer to the "mystery" the second Eru asked the question. Which made the process in solving it a bit of a bore for me.

Either way this episode was about the fanservice, and once an HD version comes around it'll be glorious.
Old 2012-07-14, 06:47   Link #27
Solafighter
Hige

Kinda funny to see, that Oreki checked out Chitanda in her swimsuit when they met on the pool.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:34   Link #28
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

They have new and better subs out for this.

And honestly... it feels strangely odd how watching this again in retrospect, after the series finished, makes me appreciate the episode that is for many parts made for fanservice, compared when I first saw it.

Maybe it's a bit jarring to go back to grumpy and low energy Houtaro, but it's so nice to see just how much effort Chitanda puts into trying to really, really communicate with him. It's one of the episodes where you can see her ability to maintain some degree of her calm composure when she begins to passionately monologue on him. Or maybe... she only does that with him?

Or it's just a goddamned shipping episode with all the sudden modesty at the end. Whatever, seeing it again in hindsight, I ended up loving it.
Old 2013-01-17, 05:55   Link #29
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Is it just me or was Chitanda trying to get Oreki complement her on her swimming suit or notice it?
I also notice it

a good episode... lots of fanservice... and more Houtarou X Chitanda scene

it will be better if they show Houtarou sister's face and Mayaka got carried by Fukube
Old 2013-01-20, 01:54   Link #30
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Yeah, I wouldn't notice the significants of half the scenes I enjoyed in this episode had I watched this right after episode 11. It really showed how his friends tried to cheer him up in their own ways, and how determined Chitanda was about that.

It's also probably intentional that Satoshi was not presented when Chitanda told Houtarou that it doesn't matter to her what the public think. He is speicial to her, and the other two as well. That would clashed a bit with Satoshi's developent later on.
Old 2013-05-09, 21:18   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Looking at this episode now is definitely more comfortable. If only because visually you can just not be distracted by the quality difference. Does show how much of a low Houtarou hit after the previous arc and how everyone needed to make a move in order to snap him out of it. Everyone had their own way of putting it, but while it was the first message I do think Chitanda's was one of the stronger ones. In the end personal opinions really are the important ones. If the people around you care and think of you as someone special that's a good place to be.

He just needed some help pulling himself back to normal. They did a good job continuing to push even when he was in a state where it wouldn't be easy to approach him.

Of course also a bonus being able to appreciate the fanservice more in now .