AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-09, 22:07   Link #1
ramune

Why is doujinshi so appealing?

In this thread we're talking about doujinshi specifically based on existing manga series.

Seriously I don't understand why people like them, especially ero-doujinshi that are based on existing manga series. Can people really get turned on by seeing their favorite characters performing sexual acts? Even if those characters are not originally being portrayed as sex objects?

For example, I took a look at the School Rumble doujinshi, and I got really turned off by that because I really don't like seeing Yakumo and Eri-chan doing such things.

Of course, these are just my opinion. For those who like ero-doujinshi, please tell me why you like them.
Old 2004-11-09, 22:27   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I dont like them, because theyre usually very short.
That would be ok, if its some kind of azumanga-like slapstick, but it doesnt work otherwise.

The ero-type is another thing. People come up with some sick shit in those. Some might be actually funny, but I dont think it suits any non-ero character to be placed in some weird sex scene. Not if you want to enjoy the original as before...
Old 2004-11-09, 22:33   Link #3
sarcasteak
WAHA~

The obvious rule of thumb is if you don't want to see those specific characters get it on, don't read that doujin. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Most ero-doujini are not that great, but some are very well done and either manages to imitate the original characters' designs faithfully or recreate the characters in a different art style. It's hard to explain, but doujin satisfies people who want to see a bit more than just " their favorite characters lived happily ever after." Or if you like a pairing different from the canon ones, doujin/fanfics is where you'd have to turn. Sure, you can just your imagination, but reading well-done doujin usually yield much better results.

Oh, and some series are obviously not that suitable for ero-doujin such as Galaxy Angel, Azumanga, and maybe even School Rumble because comedy series and their characters are simply not meant to be portrayed in that sense. Romance/harem series like SisPris (or basically anything other than KimiNozo), however, are the most ero-doujin worthy.
Old 2004-11-09, 22:39   Link #4
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Don't forget loli characters. No matter where they originate, they all get plowed by massive groups of faceless men eventually.

But back to the original topic, personally, I've enjoyed some doujins quite a bit. Some for the art, others because they successfully portray the series in a new light. For example, you can get a comedic twist on a series that would never go that way on its own.

But yeah, doujins aren't for everyone.
Old 2004-11-09, 22:40   Link #5
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Why? Because some people just do.

People read doujinshi for, I dunno how to put it, wish fulfillment. Your favorite characters didn't fall in love in the actual manga? Well, somebody else out there wanted them to do the same thing, so they drew it. Or some people just want to see more of their favorite characters.

Ero-doujinshi is the same way.
Old 2004-11-10, 05:02   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Bah. This is the wrong foot to start the topic on -- "Tell me why you like this no-good thing." Erotic parody has been around for ages, even in the funnies -- if you've never heard of Tijuana Bibles, you can go look it up.

Doujinshi often come with stories, which means that besides all the goaty stuff you seem so concerned with there is also a lot of room to do some characterization. This also means that doujinshi often offers a lot more for the mangaka and the audience than just a bunch of dirty pictures. I have read some very funny stories in doujinshi.

I don't get the thing about some anime or manga being less adaptable than others. There are zillions of doujinshi based on Azumanga Daioh and some were done by very capable mangaka.
Old 2004-11-10, 07:10   Link #7
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I don't get the thing about some anime or manga being less adaptable than others. There are zillions of doujinshi based on Azumanga Daioh and some were done by very capable mangaka.
Ehh? I thought this was fairly self-explanatory...of course mangaka (or anyone) can draw any characters from any story to do ero things, but the nature of subject can make the average reader either say "awww, about time these two love birds finally get it on~" or "oh dear god I will never see Osaka the same way again!!!"
Old 2004-11-10, 10:17   Link #8
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
I think people thrive on doujinshi because they have some unfulfilled expectations that weren't met in the original series. Perhaps your favorite character didn't receive the exposure you believe he/she deserved. Maybe the series's conclusion was less than satisfactory. Maybe...you just want to see the series's characters in a different, alternate universe. It must be this feeling of dissatisfaction that propells fans to doujinshi.
Old 2004-11-10, 10:41   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Personally, I like the doujinshi that explore the other possibilities for a series. The ones which retell a portion of the story from another character's point-of-view and perspective or come up with original side stories that can still fit into the original plot. I rather like seeing how other people interpeted the story and characters.

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-11-10 at 10:53. Reason: Damned typo...
Old 2004-11-10, 11:59   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Ehh? I thought this was fairly self-explanatory...of course mangaka (or anyone) can draw any characters from any story to do ero things, but the nature of subject can make the average reader either say "awww, about time these two love birds finally get it on~" or "oh dear god I will never see Osaka the same way again!!!"
It doesn't follow that what you said about series not being "suitable" has anything to do with the "average" reader. It's not clear to me what an "average" reader is or that this reader would share your tastes, either. You also seem to assume the presence of explicit erotic content in doujinshi. Regardless of what a mangaka can draw, the adaptation of character and story in many doujinshi make up at least half the appeal.
Old 2004-11-10, 12:38   Link #11
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Oh, and some series are obviously not that suitable for ero-doujin such as Galaxy Angel, Azumanga, and maybe even School Rumble because comedy series and their characters are simply not meant to be portrayed in that sense. Romance/harem series like SisPris (or basically anything other than KimiNozo), however, are the most ero-doujin worthy.
Hmm... why do you think KimiNozo is not suitable for ero-doujin? I mean I know you can get any girl you want in the game, however I'd like to see some real Shinji x Mitsuki actions instead of some text (of course the anime has kinda served this purpose, I really love that part, rewatched it a couple hundred times ) but then I'd love to see some Shinji x Akane, Shinji x Daikuuji, Shinji x Miki etc. etc. actions Not that I have found any yet that is

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-11-10 at 13:17.
Old 2004-11-10, 12:54   Link #12
ramune

Quote:
"oh dear god I will never see Osaka the same way again!!!"
NOOOOO NOT OSAKA!!!!! >_< (if you cannot tell I'm a huge Osaka fan...)

I've been wondering if ero-doujinshi would change the way you see the original character. Seems like it is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Personally, I like the doujinshi that explore the other possibilities for a series. The ones which retell a portion of the story from another character's point-of-view and perspective or come up with original side stories that can still fit into the original plot. I rather like seeing how other people interpeted the story and characters.
I would like to read some doujins that fit your description, but unfortunately all I can find are the ero ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
You also seem to assume the presence of explicit erotic content in doujinshi
Aren't most of the doujinshi have erotic content? At least that's what I've interpreted from watching Genshiken. "Sex sells", I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
but then I'd love to see some Shinji x Akane, Shinji x Daikuuji, Shinji x Miki etc. etc. actions
Hehe yeah Takayuki doesn't deserve all those girls I have no problem with ero-doujinshi based on ero-games since they are already being portrayed as erotic anyway.
Old 2004-11-10, 15:48   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
Aren't most of the doujinshi have erotic content? At least that's what I've interpreted from watching Genshiken.
Plenty of them don't. It would be nice if everyone took that into account when reading and writing in a thread about doujinshi, instead of just making assumptions. That way the thread could be a discussion of the question "Why is doujinshi so appealing?"

It's easy to watch Genshiken and also interpret that at least some fan activities have little to do with male erotic fantasies. What about Comic Party? Do you think the mangaka are all making ero-doujin in that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
I've been wondering if ero-doujinshi would change the way you see the original character. Seems like it is the case.
Part of what doujinshi offers is the chance to reinterpret characters and stories. Of course, if there's no consistency with the given characters there's no point in using a known character. A lot of people have a flexible enough view of what a "character" is to be able to handle a few side stories, "dirty" or otherwise.
Old 2004-11-10, 16:43   Link #14
Kaka
罪人クロノ

ero without doubt is one of the most popular genres of doujinshi loved by guys
but what I see the most online is that, BL appears to be girls' favorite lol
Closed Thread