Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-05-25, 08:57   Link #1201
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
Yeah he's got rank S abilities after going into the beginners course and getting owned by Aiz. What of it? Every level 1 with rank S abilities has gotten those rank S abilities in the beginners part of the dungeon. Or were you expecting him to go beyond the beginners area as a level 1? Because that's just stupid.

And what do you mean by some work and he's golden? He trains all day every day and he's still level 1. You're not making too much sense here.
While I don't agree with everything being said there, I don't think the level 1 counter argument actually helps. Ep 8 Bell could wipe the floor with ep 1 Bell. They are both level 1, but they aren't remotely in the same class. Levels are a nice enough dividing line, but Bell is insanely stronger than he was a the start of the show no matter what the levels say.
Old 2015-05-25, 09:02   Link #1202
RDNexus

In my mind it's a bit like Newprimus stated, Chosen may not be spewing hate but he's showing a serious case of need for spoonfeeding when it's more than common knowledge nowadays that most stories take their sweet time to get somewhere, those other Chosen mentioned are, at most, the exception nowadays and, despite anything he/she says, it shows that there's a bit of finer taste in mind.

It sucks but that's how japanese authors and publishers make things run the longest possible to cash some more from each story's popularity... And believe me, Chosen, I also don't like that way of telling a story that much but if I were to reject any of these kinds of story then my choices of Anime to watch would be very few...

Chosen, if DanMachi, like many others, doesn't exactly suit your tastes, simply go find other story(ies) that may suit you better, there are tons of them out there... And I'm trying to be friendly here...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 10:02   Link #1203
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Please don't attack other people for the opinions for their opinions, whether good or bad. If you think someone is trolling, just report them and let the mods review and deal with it. Let's stay on-topic and discuss the show.
Old 2015-05-25, 11:17   Link #1204
larethian

I would say it's a bit early to judge whether there is really a lack of a concrete 'plot' given some of the stuff I heard about the series. However, a lack of a concrete plot does necessary make it 'bad' imo. Some stories are theme-centric, such as slice of life and family stories or those that are focused on the growth and development of a person (and what he/she overcome). Danmachi seems to be more about the 'growth of Bell' and besides, there are also some hints of intrigue thrown out which suggests that the story will elevate to a grander stage.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 13:06   Link #1205
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen_Hero
So is it the generic "climb the useless tower for some nebulous reason" sub-plot (do we even know why they are climbing the tower, the anime hasn't said anything), the "Goddess that wants to rape Bell" plot (because rape is so great, huh guys?), the generic "love" sub-plot surrounding Eyes... I mean Aiz (pretty cool how he almost forced a kissed on a sleeping girl amirite? That's how I like my heroes, with rape tendencies), how about the 'Hestia trying to win his love" sub-plot? (again another generic development in anime odof this kind), perhaps it's the laughable "development" he is undergoing (which is kinda made useless by the fact that he has an ability that basically gives him easy experience, after one month he conviniently gets S rank while other adventurers actually put in the real time and work to try and reach the same, not impressed), is the plot about the harem growing around him? (Oh, look at that girls gravitating towrds some guy for... reasons, haven't seen that before), is what the title say the real plot here? If it is then it's just a shitty build your own harem anime and it doesn't even do what the title says properly, I mean he has only picked up one girl (imo with a very dissapointing, boring and generic arc) in the dungeon, the others either throw themselves at him or pick him up instead.

For as many thing as this anime introduces it has no clear plot point, why is any of this happening? It can't just be just so some nymphomaniac goddess can get some dick, that's a pretty shallow premise, are they trying to reach somewhere by climbing the tower? If so where, why do they need to do that? It can't be just for the shits and giggles, what about the gods and goddesses? I know that the anime at the start says that they left their home to try and have some fun with the people in the lower world but, all I see is them acting like very shitty guild masters/stats calculators, apart from people calling them -sama they are not that very godly.

Like I said so far not impressed by it, I have personally seen this done better (once by a worse anime than this), this anime (when I take into account what I have seen so far) in my opinion is just meh.

So please you obviously are a far superior being then I since you can percieve the non existen plot in anime.
The bolded part is the very proof that you didnt even pay attention to the series, that tower is where gods like Freya live.

The dungeon goes below earth, come back when you start paying attention first.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 14:16   Link #1206
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
The bolded part is the very proof that you didnt even pay attention to the series, that tower is where gods like Freya live.

Birdway I really think you hit it on the mark. That fellow you quoted is tossing around rape accusations and there have been none, none are planned, none are hinted at or even imagined. He talked about a nymphomaniac goddess and as far as I can tell we don't have one, or even close to one. What's with all this fixation on sex he's talking about?

As for "reasons" why the girls like Bell:

-Hestia likes him because she finally founded a Familia with him. With that groundwork her affection grew from there.

-Syr likes him because he's cute, and he helps her out. If there's more to it I don't recall them addressing it.

-Aiz likes him because for as small and inexperienced he is he won't give up, and keeps coming back for more, and he's not egotistical about it. That has impressed her. From there she's been growing more fond of him.

-Lily likes him because he's the ONLY person in the world who has been kind to her, and treated her as an equal, with no strings attached. Then he went and forgave her treachery. She is now quite devoted and loyal to him.

I'm not one to flame, and I'm not trying to here, but none of what he is complaining about is even close to being accurate.

Its no wonder he's not impressed, he hasn't been watching
Old 2015-05-26, 03:41   Link #1207
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^While I agree with most of what you say, the show actually does have a nymphomaniac goddess.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 06:05   Link #1208
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
^While I agree with most of what you say, the show actually does have a nymphomaniac goddess.
Which is ALWAYS a +1 in my book
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 06:37   Link #1209
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post

Yeah, just ignore everything else I mentioned and just go for the one mistake I made, not my fault the setting is so barebones.

Also, not one of you has yet given a reason as to why they are going into the "dungeon", still waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Birdway I really think you hit it on the mark. That fellow you quoted is tossing around rape accusations and there have been none, none are planned, none are hinted at or even imagined. He talked about a nymphomaniac goddess and as far as I can tell we don't have one, or even close to one. What's with all this fixation on sex he's talking about?

-Hestia likes him because she finally founded a Familia with him. With that groundwork her affection grew from there.

-Syr likes him because he's cute, and he helps her out. If there's more to it I don't recall them addressing it.

-Aiz likes him because for as small and inexperienced he is he won't give up, and keeps coming back for more, and he's not egotistical about it. That has impressed her. From there she's been growing more fond of him.

-Lily likes him because he's the ONLY person in the world who has been kind to her, and treated her as an equal, with no strings attached. Then he went and forgave her treachery. She is now quite devoted and loyal to him.

I'm not one to flame, and I'm not trying to here, but none of what he is complaining about is even close to being accurate.

Because it's pretty much the reason she is after Bell.

Also trying to kiss a girl without consent while she naps/sleeps or otherwise is the first step, who knows what more he would have done if he did plant the kiss and hadn't gotten chastised for it, but hey since this is anime that kind of development is seen as "romantic".

As for the harem that's just plot convinience:

- Hestia is a little too obsessed with Bell, her desperation to have a familia was so great she just clung to the first one that joined.

- cute and easy to exploit, right? What a man, how isn't she wet all the time?

- Does she even like him like that? She is so underdeveloped as a character that it's difficult to tell and can someone tell me why her chestplate has underboob showing? I thought it was damaged but it seems like it's part of the design.

- Again plot convinience, in all of her life he just so happens to be the first person to be nice to her? Not one other person tried to be her friend or something like that? I don't buy it, as shitty as people can be, not everyone someone meets within the span of years is some evil bastard out to ruin their life, her story was way too exaggerated.

Oh yeah, I'll comment and post my opinions as much as I want, no ones forcing you to read it.
Old 2015-05-26, 06:48   Link #1210
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post

As much as i hate to get involved in this entertaining debate i will. If you look at every single thing u mentioned ALL of it is plot convenience. Thats why its unimpressive the harem is purely plot based and really simple. Thats why its unimpressive.
We've watched and what we see is a kid who up until that minotaur fight is utterly pathetic and even in the minotaur fight pretty much needed Aiz to come just for him to grow a pair.
We see a goddess whose in love with her famalia member pretty much because he's there.
We see another goddess in Freya whose obsession is borderline psychotic.
We see Lily whose never been shown kindness and once she finally does betrays said person just to be forgiven. Yea i'm sorry that lost Bell a ton of points.
We see Aiz who clearly is the number 1 for bell and its almost comical because everbody's like he doenst see her ever (plus the insane obsession with Hestia) people are like there's no way she can be the number 1.
Everything about this series is underwhelming.
If you're wondering why we're still watching its because the premise is JUST interesting enough to keep you watching and hope that Bell gets a huge boost of guts and manliness cause right now he doesnt have a bit of it.

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 08:17   Link #1211
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'll comment and post my opinions as much as I want, no ones forcing you to read it.
That's not a good thing to say if you really want to engage in an argument with anyone.
Remember, you're free to comment UNTIL the mods deem such posting etiquette unnecessary in healthy conversation.

Quote:
We've watched and what we see is a kid who up until that minotaur fight is utterly pathetic and even in the minotaur fight pretty much needed Aiz to come just for him to grow a pair.
You call his struggle against that massive chimp pathetic? You also seem to have forgotten the training Bell has undergone with Aiz early in the episode. Calling him pathetic only has bearing if we're talking about his personality, especially with girls, but you can't possibly call him that if we're considering his battle experience.

Quote:
We see a goddess whose in love with her familia member pretty much because he's there.
And that's the freaking point. Have you even watched how both Bell and Hestia struggled in looking for the place where they would belong to? I won't blame Hestia if she finds herself falling for Bell because he's all she has.

Quote:
We see another goddess in Freya whose obsession is borderline psychotic.
Which is irrelevant in the so-called harem argument because she'll obsess over Bell no matter what.

Quote:
We see Lily whose never been shown kindness and once she finally does betrays said person just to be forgiven. Yea i'm sorry that lost Bell a ton of points.
The thing about Lily is a bit understandable, but Bell might just be the thing that Lily needs.

Quote:
We see Aiz who clearly is the number 1 for bell and its almost comical because everbody's like he doenst see her ever (plus the insane obsession with Hestia) people are like there's no way she can be the number 1.
Remember Bell's skill: Single Minded Pursuit—Realis Phrase. Bell has decided, and it's Aiz. Consider everyone as needless noise.

Quote:
Everything about this series is underwhelming.
If you're wondering why we're still watching its because the premise is JUST interesting enough to keep you watching and hope that Bell gets a huge boost of guts and manliness cause right now he doesnt have a bit of it.
Yes, we know about how you feel about the show. But how about us, the lot who actually enjoy the series regardless of any problems it has? Isn't it time to just let this series go? Even I hated Mahouka but I also learned to keep away from the threads.

Here's a good idea: give the original light novels a try. If it does not become an enjoyable experience, then the series isn't good enough for you.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 08:46   Link #1212
Novem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Yeah, just ignore everything else I mentioned and just go for the one mistake I made, not my fault the setting is so barebones.

Also, not one of you has yet given a reason as to why they are going into the "dungeon", still waiting.
: psyduck :

Or maybe you aren't paying enough attention to the setting and that is why you think it is bare bones?

Pretty sure that got covered in the beginning. The adventurers go into the dungeon to farm the magic stones that are inside the monsters that spawn from the dungeon walls. The adventurers then take those magic stones and trade them into the guild for money. The small monsters yield small stones while the bigger monsters like the Minotaur yield bigger stones that are more valuable. The magic stones are the power source for almost everything in Orario and the rest of the world. Example being the elevator Eina and Bell rode when they were shopping for his new armor.

Adventuring in the dungeon is a career for some and a way of life for others. Some do it for money, some do it for status, some do it to earn strength as they encounter more monsters and their abilities go up as they defeat them.
Novem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 09:08   Link #1213
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
You call his struggle against that massive chimp pathetic? You also seem to have forgotten the training Bell has undergone with Aiz early in the episode. Calling him pathetic only has bearing if we're talking about his personality, especially with girls, but you can't possibly call him that if we're considering his battle experience.
Actually i do call his struggle against the chimp pathetic. He runs around for about 10 minutes talks brave about how he's gonna protect hestia and the fact is he was getting stomped there. Until he grabbed the knife then he gets it together and wins. pretty lame.

Quote:

And that's the freaking point. Have you even watched how both Bell and Hestia struggled in looking for the place where they would belong to? I won't blame Hestia if she finds herself falling for Bell because he's all she has.
Wouldnt blame her here because when you're talking about harems there's plenty of that. Where he's the only one who was there its not impressive.

Quote:

Which is irrelevant in the so-called harem argument because she'll obsess over Bell no matter what.

Again thats kinda the point its that the HAREM side of it is weak.

Quote:

The thing about Lily is a bit understandable, but Bell might just be the thing that Lily needs.
Make no mistake on this point i agree. At the same time Bell's willingness to forgive so easily is again very disappointing.

Quote:

Remember Bell's skill: Single Minded Pursuit—Realis Phrase. Bell has decided, and it's Aiz. Consider everyone as needless noise.
I agree with this but again it gets to the point that i've knocked this show which is that as a harem this show is extremely disappointing.

Quote:

Yes, we know about how you feel about the show. But how about us, the lot who actually enjoy the series regardless of any problems it has? Isn't it time to just let this series go? Even I hated Mahouka but I also learned to keep away from the threads.

Here's a good idea: give the original light novels a try. If it does not become an enjoyable experience, then the series isn't good enough for you.
Let me make no mistake admittedly after the first episode i didnt like this series. However it has grown on me. As an RPG this is solid the interactions are very good the setting is fine and the monsters for better or worse are well done. I have two complaints about this series just two but unfortunately those complaints are very noticeable.

1. As a HAREM story this is utterly pitiful. If i were looking at it from a harem perspective i'd rate it probably as low as i rated the big 4 anime from a season ago.
As an actual story this one is actually rather enjoyable and if I could find the LN's cause i dont think they're on B-T. I would probably read it.
2. Much like Absolute Duo its greatest weakness IMO is the MC. Now make no mistake my problem with Bell is mainly in the fact that while i understand that its about bell's progress i really dont like the fact that Bell is pretty much being carried by other people. His special skill is OP as hell and the knife that Hestia begged Hephaestus to make carries the kid. Now determination and all of that stuff is fine but on about 3 or 4 occasions despite all his talk he's been bailed out and needed others to save him. (Ironically enough most of them are aiz who bails him out).

Dungeon itself as a story to me is about a 5 or 6 out of 10 right now. I want to see what happens after this next episode because i wanna see what happens now that Bell has beaten his foe. by the way i fully admit that if I watched Aiz save Bell from that minotaur i was going to drop this series. Him beating that minotaur saved the series for me (though i'm gonna give him a but of grief because despite everything u saw him begging those firebolts at the end to come or he would've likely been burnt toast again). But hey its still a good series

We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
Old 2015-05-26, 09:16   Link #1214
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Shippers are so freaking annoying
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 09:18   Link #1215
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
As an actual story this one is actually rather enjoyable and if I could find the LN's cause i dont think they're on B-T. I would probably read it.
You could always buy it in English.
Old 2015-05-26, 09:24   Link #1216
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Shippers are so freaking annoying
Shippers are a byproduct of virtually every anime in existence its a part of the culture one that cant be avoided and depending on the series it could be simple or it could be horrible. I find shippers comical personally because everyone has their opinion. The ones i hate are the crack shippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Thank you for that i'll think about it

Old 2015-05-26, 09:27   Link #1217
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
1. As a HAREM story this is utterly pitiful. If i were looking at it from a harem perspective i'd rate it probably as low as i rated the big 4 anime from a season ago.
To be fair, I didn't actually leap into the series for a harem aspect.

Quote:
2. Much like Absolute Duo its greatest weakness IMO is the MC. Now make no mistake my problem with Bell is mainly in the fact that while i understand that its about bell's progress i really dont like the fact that Bell is pretty much being carried by other people. His special skill is OP as hell and the knife that Hestia begged Hephaestus to make carries the kid. Now determination and all of that stuff is fine but on about 3 or 4 occasions despite all his talk he's been bailed out and needed others to save him. (Ironically enough most of them are aiz who bails him out).
Really? Bell is not that bad, although I guess I understood the limits of his character so I never pushed him to be any greater than what he is right now. Fortunately, I think that even Bell has noticed that he has been leaning on the backs of everyone for too long and his concern over being carried eventually became a new conflict that Bell has to face. He recognizes that he has gone stale, even with that OP knife of his. Compare that to Absolute Duo where the MC remained mostly static as a Blaze user, but underwent some development as a character and as Julie's partner.

It would be nice if the show gets some decent closure just like in Absolute Duo despite being an ongoing series. That enough and I won't have any regrets about the anime.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 10:30   Link #1218
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
To be fair, I didn't actually leap into the series for a harem aspect.

Really? Bell is not that bad, although I guess I understood the limits of his character so I never pushed him to be any greater than what he is right now. Fortunately, I think that even Bell has noticed that he has been leaning on the backs of everyone for too long and his concern over being carried eventually became a new conflict that Bell has to face. He recognizes that he has gone stale, even with that OP knife of his. Compare that to Absolute Duo where the MC remained mostly static as a Blaze user, but underwent some development as a character and as Julie's partner.

It would be nice if the show gets some decent closure just like in Absolute Duo despite being an ongoing series. That enough and I won't have any regrets about the anime.
I agree with both points i look at the people who call this a harem and i heavily disagree. I'll be honest that title makes people see harem and i for one absolutely dont.
Bell is not that bad but i think for all thats happened he's stale. I understand his limits but i think at the very least he needs to push them a little bit more. I mean look at that fight he was practically beggining those firebolts to kill him. Absolute Duo u pretty much have it he himself is stale as hell and Julie pretty much made that dude go.

Old 2015-05-26, 10:53   Link #1219
apr
Pedestrian

Uh, just to clarify, they're not climbing the tower; they're going down into a dungeon located under the tower.
Old 2015-05-26, 11:09   Link #1220
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Uh, just to clarify, they're not climbing the tower; they're going down into a dungeon located under the tower.
yea ultimately that doesnt matter THAT much.

Tags
dungeon crawler, dungeons, elves, fantasy, goddesses, gods, light novel adaptation