AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-12-25, 14:59   Link #181
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

At some point this series stopped being a parody and started being really sort of... generic. Probably should have dropped it after episode 6 or so. Ah well.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-25, 15:01   Link #182
Frontier

I knew Pansy was lying the moment she said Joro ignoring her was a reason for her asking him to go away when that's never hurt her feelings before, and then you saw that she was squeezing her arm and practically hurting herself to get through having to say that to him .

I'll be honest, for a second Sun-chan had me fooled again when he said the "best friend act" was just another means of getting with Pansy, but in the end it turned out to just be a means of spurring Joro on to do what he had to do .

Tsubaki for best supportive girl .

Sasanqua is such a cute tsundere, and she was able to help Joro realize that he needed to be himself to save the day. She is definitely a fool in love though .

A part of me kind of feels bad for the "pure-hearted" Hose having to deal with the "real" Joro, given they were up to this point genuine friends more or less, but this is the kind of story where the true main character of this romcom just happens to be twisted .

Joro's Harem totally betrayed him. Even the Opening betrayed him! And I love it. Joro's expecting all the girls to go along with the plan but they decide to help themselves and confess their love for him while supporting HosexPansy if it means they have a better chance of winning. All's fair in love and war .

I guess now the only chance Joro has to win is if his school loses the game and he gets an extra barrette while also getting Cherry and Tsuki to admit their feelings for Hose and support the idea of separating him and Pansy. No pressure .

I was not expecting a cliffhanger ending, although they teased the story would resolve in the OVA. Hopefully that gets licensed soon so we can get to the proper finale .
Old 2019-12-25, 20:34   Link #183
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Did this change from the LN? Some discussions in the LN thread concerning this part made the situation a little different...

But honestly, I would've chewed Hose out a bit more, maybe told him I was tired of his nonsense and to choose between finally giving up on a girl who obviously HAS thought about him and decided a definite "NO" and try looking at the girls who've thrown their lives away to make him happy, or continue to be a selfish little prick who's too self-centered to even realize how selfish he is. Could then follow with a laugh of superiority because unlike Hose, Joro has the guts to admit what he is. In particular, this would've made the follow-up even more entertaining as Joro is forced to see that he too has been blind to the feelings of those around him.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-25, 20:59   Link #184
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-25, 21:05   Link #185
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Did this change from the LN? Some discussions in the LN thread concerning this part made the situation a little different...

But honestly, I would've chewed Hose out a bit more, maybe told him I was tired of his nonsense and to choose between finally giving up on a girl who obviously HAS thought about him and decided a definite "NO" and try looking at the girls who've thrown their lives away to make him happy, or continue to be a selfish little prick who's too self-centered to even realize how selfish he is. Could then follow with a laugh of superiority because unlike Hose, Joro has the guts to admit what he is. In particular, this would've made the follow-up even more entertaining as Joro is forced to see that he too has been blind to the feelings of those around him.
I think they're saving that for when Cherry and Tsuki end up giving their barrette's to Joro for the same reason Joro's Harem gave theirs to Hose.
Old 2019-12-25, 21:43   Link #186
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for final thoughts:
Umm, I'm pretty sure the premise wasn't "the hero's a two-faced bastard" but rather EVERYONE is like that to some degree. Everyone has plenty capacity and will to commit acts of evil as well as good. It's frankly absurd how easily some fans will dismiss a particular hero, friend or love interest, and I wonder whether this might have been in part a response to that tendency. They're all imperfect and struggling to decide what they really want and how to reach those goals, and sometimes they'll end up doing some bad things, but that's being human, and in fact BECAUSE everyone's equally nasty at times they're able to forgive, patch things up and continue forward.
Old 2019-12-25, 22:32   Link #187
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
They're all imperfect and struggling to decide what they really want and how to reach those goals, and sometimes they'll end up doing some bad things, but that's being human, and in fact BECAUSE everyone's equally nasty at times they're able to forgive, patch things up and continue forward.
See, as far as 'imperfect' characters... I've seen/read better. At the beginning I was hoping for something more like... maybe Prison School as far as unlikable (yet lovable) characters. But while it might have started out with characters that felt 'human' somewhere along the line it just turned into a zany OreGairu or something with lots of meta gags and fourth wall breaks. Which was funny at times, but not really what I came for.

I probably will end up checking out the OVA just because.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-26, 00:20   Link #188
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

@serenade_beta
lol no, redo that
Old 2019-12-26, 00:45   Link #189
Frontier

I do like how the show has kind of come full circle in a way.

The series started out with Joro getting love confessions from girls only for it to turn out to be towards his best friend...and then said girls end the series confessing their love to him, only at the most inopportune time. Talk about being careful what you wish for .

The only thing missing is bench-kun .
Old 2019-12-26, 14:17   Link #190
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One thing I thought of is something I'd said some time ago about what a dear friend does and doesn't owe to another dear friend upon learning that said friend likes them. I recall I said they at least owe a sort of appreciation, a recognition of the feelings the person has revealed, the courage it took to let them show. If the recipient is single and has never thought of the person that way, they owe them some thought. Nothing more or less: just some time spent alone, thinking about what the person means to them and whether there's any possibility, and whether they're willing to take such chances. If the person is in a relationship, sincerely in love with someone else, or has thought enough to be able to say firmly that it's not going to happen or that the risks are too great, then they instead owe some empathy, a realization of the pain the friend will be in, and a clear rejection. On the surface it looks like that's what Hose is asking of Pansy, to just think of him. But once I thought about it really he's just being presumptuous. She'd known him and been near him for a long time, has shown some very clear distance. To simply presume that she's never stopped to consider how she'd feel about this is absurd and shows his self-centered true nature just as well as his inability to notice the feelings of the girls around him.
Old 2019-12-27, 17:27   Link #191
Decel

What a weird way to end the TV show, by hand-wringing us to the OVA? Gah...
Old 2019-12-29, 12:27   Link #192
Zolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
What a weird way to end the TV show, by hand-wringing us to the OVA? Gah...
Just like video game companies baiting gamers with DLC.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-01, 12:36   Link #193
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

bah that vote in the end isn't legit by any means, we're missing at least 3 other girls.

Hose is such an appropriate nickname though, as too much of it can definitely kill a flower

we'll just wait for the OVA then.

also I finally found the full ED!
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 18:58   Link #194
Alchemist007
*Author

I liked the first arc the best, kinda went downhill afterwards. Overall it was ok but nothing special.
Old 2020-09-13, 23:43   Link #195
Zolton

OVA is out. It's 80 minutes long, damn.

Pretty fun overall, though I'm not sure how I feel about the reveal that Hose was putting up a facade, too, and that he's basically Sun-chan 2.0 from the first three episodes. Also, this OVA explored the friendship between Sun and Joro in great detail and made the forgiveness scene from episode 4(?) much more believable. Sun genuinely felt bad about being a backstabbing asshole.

There was a girl from Sun's flashback whose face was hidden, and I'm pretty sure we saw her again near the end, but it didn't go anywhere. I've heard she makes a comeback later in the novels, so this anime still hasn't adapted everything?
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 20:57   Link #196
Frontier

I wasn't expecting to see Sun-chan's backstory, from how he developed his fake Sun-chan persona, to how he became friends with Joro and Himawari, and being the original victim of a bench-kun confession that set him on the path to resenting Joro. But ultimately Joro's dedication to him and his realization about himself allows him to finally pull through from his issues and win the big game for both himself and his best bud .

Look at all these random, but uniquely designed, girls who I assume are probably more relevant in the light novel .

Joro ended up turning Hose into a villain by making him realize he's the main character in a romcom anime. Maybe it was also Hose's own deep seated darker side coming to the fray, but it was definitely a stark shift and made it all the more satisfying when Joro and Pansy finally overcame him .

I was expecting Cherry and Tsukimi to confess their feelings for Hose and give their barrette's to Joro, but only Cherry ended up doing it. Still, it was great that Joro's girls were able to inspire them to be honest with themselves and what they really want instead of just settling, and get that load off their back. And they probably have a better chance with Hose now than they ever did .

Figures a duel between Harem protagonists would basically amount to a popularity contest...but while Hose may be extremely popular with girls, he's nowhere near as underhanded as Joro, and didn't count on Joro and Pansy's teamwork or in Joro relying on his best bro Sun-chan .

Sasanqua is as cute a tsundere as ever. I wish she could've gotten to properly confess her love, but she was still super cute stammering over her feelings for Joro and being a perfect tsundere without any prompting .

And when the time comes for Joro to finally declare who he loves...he confesses to all the girls to fulfill his Harem dream. Because of course he does .

Although it was ultimately to ensure the status quo and that there were no hurt feelings so that Pansy could finally have friends, because that's just how Joro shows his consideration. And in the end it seemed the girls all realized this too .

It was nice to see the show close out with the emphasis on Joro and Sun-chan's friendship, and wholesomely redeeming bench-kun, and re-emphasizing the title of the series in a neat way. Sometimes a bromance is all you need .

But just in case you thought this anime was all about bromance, in comes Pansy looking stunning in a dress for a nightly stroll with Joro, arms linked and everything. And while she's as open about her love for Joro as ever, this time Joro replies in kind with a true confession of his own. The moon is beautiful, indeed .
Old 2020-09-20, 16:48   Link #197
jdennis007

Himawari still flashing her appeal. I liked how the ova brought it all together how much Joro can rely on his friends ( I still say Joro and Sun is the true route).
Old 2020-10-02, 15:10   Link #198
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Finally came around to watching the end, and indeed it was a very fitting conclusion. It did a good job reiterating the core message: everyone's scum, but that's just a part. Everyone makes mistakes, acts selfish or jealous at times, but there's always more to them than that, something of worth, something they value, and no matter how much they veer and twist, they keep moving forward. That slightly-bent V really is a good sign for these folks.

I also liked how different the three big fakers are. Joro puts on an act because he can't really see himself as a "main character", and in part he wants to be the main character and get the girls and the happy end, while at the same time he wants to find a way to make those he cares about happy. Sun puts on an act because he couldn't stand the jealousy and resentment he received as a "main character", and he felt that a brighter guy with more enthusiasm and charisma would be able to avoid being hated; really what he wants more than anything else though is someone who can see the weak kid inside and like him for him, something he finally found in Joro. Hose puts on an act because he's become convinced that he is indeed the ideal "main character" whom everyone is meant to love except for the losers destined to fail and surrender the glory to him. They're all "the same" but really they're all very different.

One thing I couldn't help but wonder is how those two really took Hose revealing his true nature. Were they disillusioned by the scumbag that was just pretending to be the wonderful Hose they loved? Did they already know and love him in spite of this darkness? Will they choose to ignore these revelations and love the fake they now know to be far from what he really is? Will they try to get to know him all over now that they know there's a Hose they never really knew, and possibly fall in love with the real deal? Given that so much is put into the fact that even the best people can be scummy at times and even the worst scumbags have good in them, I'd honestly love to see a spinoff following Hose and those two, gradually exposing the good beneath that disgusting exterior and leading him to his own eventual happy end (naturally only after a lot of work to make him worthy of it).
Old 2020-10-03, 13:14   Link #199
Frontier

Quote:
One thing I couldn't help but wonder is how those two really took Hose revealing his true nature. Were they disillusioned by the scumbag that was just pretending to be the wonderful Hose they loved? Did they already know and love him in spite of this darkness? Will they choose to ignore these revelations and love the fake they now know to be far from what he really is? Will they try to get to know him all over now that they know there's a Hose they never really knew, and possibly fall in love with the real deal? Given that so much is put into the fact that even the best people can be scummy at times and even the worst scumbags have good in them, I'd honestly love to see a spinoff following Hose and those two, gradually exposing the good beneath that disgusting exterior and leading him to his own eventual happy end (naturally only after a lot of work to make him worthy of it).
I did kind of get the sense that those two would still stick by him even after seeing how he is, especially now that they've confessed and he was rejected so resoundingly by Pansy and the situation.
Old 2020-10-11, 20:49   Link #200
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Kinda late, but I hope this trend of properly ending anime adaptations continue on, nothing beats a proper and satisfying ending!

As I said last year, I was hoping that all the other girls will have a role, and it was confirmed for me when there was no rule that only the 6 girls get to vote, what I didn't expect was Hose pulling the same move, and the number of girls who got to vote

The first few scenes also reminded me of how shitty everyone involved in this series was, there was even that guy who pretended to like Sun-chan just to steal a keychain

I'm satisfied with the Sun-chan ending which was surprisingly canon and of course all throughout the best girl is .. Tampopo

We (maybe?) even got to see the girl who liked Joro back in middle school, I don't know if all the other girls shown are cameos of other girls from unadapted volumes or what.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem