Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-11-25, 17:59   Link #461
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
not sure how that's relevant...

Himmel is in the OP too, and that doesn't make him alive.
He does show up a lot in flashbacks, though. And unless we get more flashbacks into Stark's life before the demon attack which supposedly killed his family, it'd therefore make more sense that his brother will turn alive up at some point. At least in my sense of storytelling. For a character to end up in the OP for such minor moment (less than two minutes total, I think?) is otherwise a bit strange.
Old 2023-11-25, 21:28   Link #462
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
He does show up a lot in flashbacks, though. And unless we get more flashbacks into Stark's life before the demon attack which supposedly killed his family, it'd therefore make more sense that his brother will turn alive up at some point. At least in my sense of storytelling. For a character to end up in the OP for such minor moment (less than two minutes total, I think?) is otherwise a bit strange.
Small Role, Big Impact. Screen time =/= relevance or importance. Stark's brother is important to him and his backstory and in shaping who he is today.

You can also throw out your sense of story telling when it comes to Frieren. The author does not really care for conventional story telling narratives.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 02:52   Link #463
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Small Role, Big Impact. Screen time =/= relevance or importance. Stark's brother is important to him and his backstory and in shaping who he is today.
So are Himmel, Heiter and Eisen obviously for Frieren. Which doesn't prevent them from popping in every other episode in flashbacks. Just saying.

Quote:
You can also throw out your sense of story telling when it comes to Frieren. The author does not really care for conventional story telling narratives.
So far this show's strength has been using established tropes in a way far superior than other shows manage, i.e. having a very good sense of storytelling. I really haven't seen anything which makes it "unconventional storytelling".

In any case, it's a minor point if big brother Stark turns up again. It would make a lot of sense in terms of character development for Stark, though.
Old 2023-11-26, 05:08   Link #464
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
So are Himmel, Heiter and Eisen obviously for Frieren. Which doesn't prevent them from popping in every other episode in flashbacks. Just saying.
You can tell who counts as a major character and who counts as an extra by how the voices are credited in the ending.

For example, the voice cast for this episode is listed in order as:
Frieren - Tanezaki Atsumi
Fern - Ichinose Kana
Stark - Kobayashi Chiaki
Himmel - Okamoto Nobuhiko
Heiter - Touchi Hiroki
Eisen - Ueda Youji

then there is a noticeable line break separating the above from following:
Stark's father - Kase Yasuyuki
Stoltz - Eguchi Takuya

Images
ep12 credits
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

For comparison, the credits for episode 11 are formatted similarly, with the cast for Frieren, Fern, Stark, Himmel, Heiter, and Eisen all listed together, followed by a line break after which the voices for Graf Granat and Kraft are credited:

Images
ep11 credits
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 06:43   Link #465
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
You can tell who counts as a major character and who counts as an extra by how the voices are credited in the ending.
yeah...the voice cast refernce for SpyXFamily in Freiren.
Images
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 11:53   Link #466
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Frieren was so cold she slept in... The irony...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 11:57   Link #467
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Sousou no Freiren. Winter in the Northern Lands

After vanquishing Aura, Frieren and her party along with Granat took care of the aftermath, paying their respects and giving a proper burial to the slain warriors. There in between the corpses Granat's son was found, and he was able to finally have solace.

Now, restarting her journey towards Aureole, Frieren is told by Granat that passage far into the northern lands is restricted to the point that adventurer parties all have to include a first-class mage member. However, Frieren is deeply bothered with the continuous changes within the mages association, since she cannot and won't waste her time keeping track of them all.

It was suggested for her party to head first to the city of Äußerst in order to take the certification exam, but they could not get deep into the Schwer mountains once the relentless winter arrived threatening to claim Stark's life with hypothermia. Thankfully, they managed to find an emergency cabin at the foot of the mountains, which was already inhabited by another elf, nonetheless.

The elfin monk, Kraft, introduced himself to Frieren and her party, bewildered to see another elf since 300 years have elapsed from the last time he encountered a member of his species.
He keeps Stark's body warm until the lad recovers consciousness, and later all agreed to pass the winter out while tending to basic chores. In the six months that follow, they all learn about Kraft's dedication and worship to the Goddess of Creation.

On their last day together once the winter ended, Kraft confided to Frieren that since his companions all have passed away, then he only has the Goddess to remember his deeds so in the last centuries he has lead a pious life hoping that when he dies the Goddess will praise him.

Kraft offers to give praise to Frieren which makes her to remember a conversation she had with Heiter during their times as heroes.

Back then, a young Heiter disclosed to Frieren he was an orphan and had investing all the money he has earned to fund orphanages. Heiter was inquisitive on what would Frieren do once their party vanquishes the Demon King. She replied back that there wasn't anything in particular for her to do but keep collecting grimoires and learning spells as a hobby.
Heiter, then, proposed that he could give his praise to her.

Back to the present, Frieren politely declined Kraft's offer commenting she already has someone to give her praise, and her current goal is to reach Aureole in order to give her proper respects to that person. Kraft obliged at her reply and before parting ways, he advised Frieren to cherish her current friends the most and to make as many beautiful memories with them as she can.

And, with the winter gone and spring settled in, the two elves parted ways in opposite directions, hoping that they will meet again in a few centuries time if that was the will of the Creation Goddess.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 11:59   Link #468
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
yeah...the voice cast refernce for SpyXFamily in Freiren.
Images
ah, I didn't know they shared the same VA.

Also, those hamburgs were comically large
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 13:22   Link #469
TURI123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
She doesn't care.

That's actually Fern underestimating herself. I don't want to post spoilers so let's just leave this for later on.

I disagree.
If that were the case Fern wouldn't say to Lugner, what she said to him about the part that he doesn't see her as a threat to him she didn't like it. More then that Fren is much more prideful than it looks like.

I agree that she misjudged herself at this point, however, my point still stands she knows how much Mana she has and how much Lugner has, and yet she didn't think that she could win against him. More than this Fern didn't feel Lugner before he attacked her although he was close to her.

Quote:
Lugner said it was "unfair" and a "disgrace to mages," he never said Fern cheated.

Yes, you right I wrong about this part however my point is still stands.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 17:36   Link #470
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Yea, made me hungry too lol. I'd love a burger that big. I hate how double/triple burgers stay the same diameter and just increase in height (and they don't double stack condiments! cheapskates). I'd rather have a double the same height just larger around Wouldn't even end up being that crazy big. A 4" burger has an area of about 12.5 so a double would only need a diameter of 5.6" to double area, and a triple 7". Plus then the meat stays balanced with the condiments, not overpowering it.

Of course, the general public is stupid so getting them to understand that at the area has actually doubled even if the diameter hasn't would be a hard sell, especially if you're selling to the same crowd who thought 1/3# for the price of a 1/4# was a ripoff lol

Anyway, that was a bit of a wandering thought heh. Lots of cute Frieren in the last eps, lots of fodder for my randomizing wallpaper program
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-26, 21:47   Link #471
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURI123456 View Post
If that were the case Fern wouldn't say to Lugner, what she said to him about the part that he doesn't see her as a threat to him she didn't like it.
She never said she doesn't like it. She was just describing how Lugner is prideful. It was a statement of fact. She doesn't care what he thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURI123456 View Post
I agree that she misjudged herself at this point, however, my point still stands she knows how much Mana she has and how much Lugner has, and yet she didn't think that she could win against him. More than this Fern didn't feel Lugner before he attacked her although he was close to her.
There is an explanation for this but I can't explain because it's spoiler and I don't want to get banned for posting spoilers. Just leave this discussion for later on.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2023-11-26 at 21:58.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-27, 06:52   Link #472
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Fern and Stark's relationship is really adorable. The former's mind changes every five minutes like a tsundere complex but has already comforted the latter already twice about his fears. The director had something in mind when he made that small shot of the two walking together with the bracelet as if they were a couple.

Also, I never realized that the guy from the opening was Stark's brother. Still, considering next week the first cour might end I wonder if he might keep appearing in a possible new opening video.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...39b9aaa3aa179&

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2023-11-27 at 07:35.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-27, 09:13   Link #473
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Fern and Stark's relationship is really adorable. The former's mind changes every five minutes like a tsundere complex but has already comforted the latter already twice about his fears. The director had something in mind when he made that small shot of the two walking together with the bracelet as if they were a couple.
Frieren is oblivious about her own love life, but she still keeps the accessory.
Images
She somehow sees the budding relationship between her disciple. She doesn't know how to express her thought. When Fern asked about the birthday gift for Stark, Frieren told Fern she can sends herself out as a present. So, Fern decided to ask Stark by herself. Stark confirmed his preference by describing cloud as a woman. Fern got upset and called him ecchi. However, Fern did not distance herself from Stark.
Images
Old 2023-11-27, 09:22   Link #474
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post

Traveling with Freiren surely put Fern on a lot of pressure. Fern practices a lot and overeat a lot.

Shounen/Seinen manga has three trends for drawing anime girls. There are chichi-bag, chichi-tent, and chichi-curtain. Fern belongs to the third trend. It could mean she doesn't like to expose herself. Besides Fern's power level, she has something else to keep as the secret.
Images
Old 2023-11-27, 19:28   Link #475
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Yea, made me hungry too lol. I'd love a burger that big. I hate how double/triple burgers stay the same diameter and just increase in height (and they don't double stack condiments! cheapskates). I'd rather have a double the same height just larger around Wouldn't even end up being that crazy big. A 4" burger has an area of about 12.5 so a double would only need a diameter of 5.6" to double area, and a triple 7". Plus then the meat stays balanced with the condiments, not overpowering it.

Of course, the general public is stupid so getting them to understand that at the area has actually doubled even if the diameter hasn't would be a hard sell, especially if you're selling to the same crowd who thought 1/3# for the price of a 1/4# was a ripoff lol

Anyway, that was a bit of a wandering thought heh. Lots of cute Frieren in the last eps, lots of fodder for my randomizing wallpaper program
yeah, we humans are dumb. But at the same time, we just need to see visually larger hamburgs to really drive it home. I would definitely pay a good amount of money for Frieren's steaks just for the novelty.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-28, 16:49   Link #476
Shadow5YA

Tweet confirming the anime will be airing for two consecutive seasons ending in March, with a drawing from the manga's artist.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2023-11-28 at 17:05.
Old 2023-11-28, 17:22   Link #477
grecefar

I'm glad.

I'm not ready for it to be over yet, too good.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-28, 18:08   Link #478
Frontier

I love how they all have different reactions to Himmel .
Old 2023-11-28, 18:11   Link #479
Shadow5YA

What reactions? It just looks like a drawing of the three watching what is probably supposed to be the anime on a projection made of magic.
Old 2023-11-28, 18:33   Link #480
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Caught up on episodes 8-12. I understand the necessity of flashbacks in this title and the ones about Flamme certainly provide significant insight as to why Frieren was the way she was pre-present. But the overuse of talking excessively during fights while the other could have ended it got grating. Then with the continual burying of the lead really hindered epidodes 8-10 since the twist moment was already obvious. Also getting weary of Stark continuing to be a punchline. It's getting hard to believe in his capabilities when he is turned into a joke over and over.

All that said, watched all 5 eps consecutively. For this to be around a halfway point feels weird, though. It feels like the journey has barely begun yet they traversed a long distance in little air time and another forced stop is about to happen. Is this really going to be over in ~24 eps?

Tags
adventure, fantasy