Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-06-04, 15:11   Link #201
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
We get it, your waifu that you created is the bestest ever, can we please get something on other characters that doesn't have anything to do with her?
I uh... think you're in the wrong place if you expected an actual super sentai show here or something. You might as well be complaining Tonikaku Kawaii is spending too much time on Tsukasa or something.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-04, 15:51   Link #202
Frontier

I mean, we met Mama Fudo first .
Old 2022-06-04, 18:28   Link #203
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Why? I don't know about you but Desumi is pretty much the main attraction of the show. She is the highlight of both the OP & ED in case it's not obvious enough. The premise of the story revolves around her & Fudo's forbidden love. So, if you want to see something unrelated to Desumi then this show might not be for you, mate.

I mean, at the end of the day, this show is a Sentai spoof rom-com that's built around Desumi & Fudo that doesn't take itself very seriously. It's not a sprawling battle/war story that aims to expand its world to the point where we also follow characters who aren't related to the MCs.

Also, at this point, we pretty much already figure out the characteristics of the other Gelatos. We even spent a whole couple of episodes dedicated to Pink & Green. Even Yellow have been getting plenty of screentine. The only leftover is the Blue creeper . And let's face it, the bad guy faction is often the more interesting one.
She can be the main attraction all she wants, it doesn't mean that it's not getting boring to see the same exact situation play out every episode with slight changes, for a premise revolving around their relationship it's a pretty formulaic one that can (and is) get stale to anyone that is interested in wanting to learn more about the setting.

Pink and Greens story ended up revolving mainly around Desumi, not on themselves, Yellow is just there to tease Fudo about Desumi even if she doesn't know her, Blue is the only one not ne tied to her only on the fact that he barely even exists outside of one scene related to a character tied to Desumi and literally everything about the bad guys ends up revolving around Desumi, so I wouldn't exactly say they are that interesting as they currently are. I bet none of you have even realized that she has no flaws as a character.

It's not unrealistic or weird to expect a story to have more to it than just pandering to one character, a rom-com can do so much more than just focus on the main pair and still be all about them in the end, like Kaguya-sama for example, which is able to properly showcase other characters while keeping the main pair in focus.
One limits itself to showcasing one character, while the other does it's best to enhance it's story, setting and romance for those characters, and while I don't expect them to have similar levels of writing, I do expect them to do the best they can to keep my interest as a viewer and if they don't then I am free to point out what doesn't work for me.

With that said, thanks for ignoring the part where I state that I do like show and telling me that it might not be for me, because that's totally gonna make me stop wanting to see more out of a noticeably barebones show.

Just saying, but not all of us that watch are just here to blindly like Desumi because the show tells us she's perfect so she must be our waifu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I uh... think you're in the wrong place if you expected an actual super sentai show here or something. You might as well be complaining Tonikaku Kawaii is spending too much time on Tsukasa or something.
Please don't assume about what I expected, you don't know me to even begin to do so.
Old 2022-06-04, 19:45   Link #204
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Please don't assume about what I expected, you don't know me to even begin to do so.
I guess but your argument still sucks though. World Domination is a monthly series with just barely enough manga for a single season -- its only like 32 chapters in vs. well over 100 for Kaguya (a weekly series) when it was animated. It doesn't really have the time nor the need to really focus on side characters. And there's no room to pick and choose chapters like the Kaguya anime was able to.

I'm all about people's right to hate watch, but your criticism is basically that you wish the series was something completely different which doesn't seem fair. Shifting focus isn't always a win, either. I've seen pretty constant malding from Kaguya fans about the direction of the manga into whatever the final arc was, and the most consistent criticism I've seen of Horimiya has to do with its shifting focus as well.
Old 2022-06-04, 22:59   Link #205
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
She can be the main attraction all she wants, it doesn't mean that it's not getting boring to see the same exact situation play out every episode with slight changes, for a premise revolving around their relationship it's a pretty formulaic one that can (and is) get stale to anyone that is interested in wanting to learn more about the setting.
I don't know about you but I actually see the slow progression of the relationship between two star-crossed individuals who are experiencing love for the first time and try to make the best out of it despite their "Romeo & Juliet" situation. The fact that they're so honest about their love for each other and try their hardest to be lovers in itself is a breath of fresh air in a sea of rom-com anime where it took seasons-worth of episodes just to get an honest-to-god confession.

A lot of anime fans have been complaining so much that anime relationship rarely go beyond confession or kiss. Some went straight to marriage and having kids in a prologue or something. Well, this anime present you the development & growing pains of dating where you try to keep your chemistry going with dates etc. and actually have to deal with each others' family such as meeting the parents & siblings and try to impress them. This show has sucessfully showcased those situation (within the spoof nature of it). If you consider that boring then I wonder if you also consider dating in general boring.

Quote:
Pink and Greens story ended up revolving mainly around Desumi, not on themselves, Yellow is just there to tease Fudo about Desumi even if she doesn't know her, Blue is the only one not ne tied to her only on the fact that he barely even exists outside of one scene related to a character tied to Desumi and literally everything about the bad guys ends up revolving around Desumi, so I wouldn't exactly say they are that interesting as they currently are.
Whether you find them interesting or not is up to you, but the show has sucessfully established their characters through their connections with Desumi. Pink Haru was introduced having a crush on Red Fudo so it's not really Desumi-related from the start. That was only revealed at the end of her episode. Green's relationship of being a genuine (but inferior) teacher to Desumi which was born from Daigo's genuine concern for lil Desu is actually one of the most refreshing/funny dynamic I've seen in this decade (unlike in Mob Psycho 100 where Reigen is pretty much just scamming Shigeo from the start).

And the Gekko "staffs" that we saw throughout the show are somehow related to Desumi is because we are exploring the Gekko through her POV just like how we're exploring the Gelato 5 through Fudo (maybe except for creeper Blue). Heck, Steel Princess was introduced having nothing to do with Desumi but Desumi was the assertive one wanting to help her.

Quote:
I bet none of you have even realized that she has no flaws as a character.
She is still pretty much blind when it comes to dating IRL. Pretty much all the detailed dating suggestions come from Fudo. The only thing that she suggested first was their first date and even then she didn't know how to do it. She also still depends a lot on Fudo whenever she's feeling confused & down (eg. during the Steel Princess episode & her being a candidate for kaijin episode). She needs Fudo as a "shoulder to lean on" and the only individual where she can be totally herself (aside from being her boyfriend).

Quote:
It's not unrealistic or weird to expect a story to have more to it than just pandering to one character, a rom-com can do so much more than just focus on the main pair and still be all about them in the end, like Kaguya-sama for example, which is able to properly showcase other characters while keeping the main pair in focus.
One limits itself to showcasing one character, while the other does it's best to enhance it's story, setting and romance for those characters, and while I don't expect them to have similar levels of writing, I do expect them to do the best they can to keep my interest as a viewer and if they don't then I am free to point out what doesn't work for me.
The bolded lines are primarily why I said that the show might not be for you. There is a variety of Rom-com. This one chose the path of focusing more on the main pair and watch them grow as lovers from the very beginning. Unlike Kaguya-sama, it doesn't fall into the traditional trappings of anime rom-com where the main pair are already strugling so much just to confess. I would argue that part of the reasons why Kaguya-sama need some extensive cast & focus on them is because the relationship of the main pairing is going nowhere most of the time so the readers/audiences need some distractions to keep things interesting other than watching Kaguya & Miyuki being tsundere to each other. If that doesn't keep your interest then, again, the show is probably not for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Quote:
With that said, thanks for ignoring the part where I state that I do like show and telling me that it might not be for me, because that's totally gonna make me stop wanting to see more out of a noticeably barebones show.
Could've fooled me. We are 11 pages in and this is your only comment in this thread IIRC. And 95% of your comment is criticizing the show. And the only positive thing you can say about the show is "as much as I like it".

Quote:
Just saying, but not all of us that watch are just here to blindly like Desumi because the show tells us she's perfect so she must be our waifu.
I find the goofy Professor Big Gelato & Fudo's Mom adorable despite having limited screen time. I'm perfectly capable to have my own opinion without the show dictating me. I like Desumi just fine without the show telling me what to do.
Old 2022-06-04, 23:34   Link #206
Frontier

Well, Desumi can't teach and she almost killed Fudo in a jealous rage, so...
Old 2022-06-05, 10:12   Link #207
Estzero1

After seeing this episode I can assume where it will end, but I wonder how they will structure it. Hope they don't skip anything, looking at two chapters in particular. Guess next week will show da way.

What´s the answer to everything ?
Estzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-08, 22:19   Link #208
Strahan

That one sign in the back having the text aligned bottom to the outside really screwed with my head. Looked very bizarre to me, lol.

Quote:
The fact that they're so honest about their love for each other and try their hardest to be lovers in itself is a breath of fresh air in a sea of rom-com anime where it took seasons-worth of episodes just to get an honest-to-god confession.
Quite. God it's frustrating in anime that are ostensibly about romance to get to the end and find the lead characters having made no real progress at all. I prefer shows like Itazura na Kiss, now that was great for showing the progress of a romance. I wish more were like that.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 02:03   Link #209
Huh...?

Quote:
The fact that they're so honest about their love for each other and try their hardest to be lovers in itself is a breath of fresh air in a sea of rom-com anime where it took seasons-worth of episodes just to get an honest-to-god confession.
Heck, we also have another Series this Season with pre-set Couple since start of the Series.

But that one doesn't have any aspect of "couple being honest about their love for each other and trying their hardest to be lovers".
That one is like a complete standard rom-com (with puppy love aspect), which doesn't seem that different from other countless series which takes seasons to get a confession out of the couple.

But, people especially YouTube reactors are favoring that one, as its getting more views, while this one is almost lost and forgotten (apparently people don't like LAWD because it has pre-set couple so there is no fun of creation of a new relationship, while like the other one for that very reason).

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-09, 12:12   Link #210
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
Heck, we also have another Series this Season with pre-set Couple since start of the Series.

But that one doesn't have any aspect of "couple being honest about their love for each other and trying their hardest to be lovers".
That one is like a complete standard rom-com (with puppy love aspect), which doesn't seem that different from other countless series which takes seasons to get a confession out of the couple.

But, people especially YouTube reactors are favoring that one, as its getting more views, while this one is almost lost and forgotten (apparently people don't like LAWD because it has pre-set couple so there is no fun of creation of a new relationship, while like the other one for that very reason).
I think people appreciate just how cute and genuine they are with each other even if the relationship and progression is pretty innocent, but I still feel like they're hitting good milestones as a couple .

(And it's not like they don't want to kiss...)
Old 2022-06-10, 09:38   Link #211
Frontier

It's Fall and time for Desumi's school festival, which she of course asks Fudo out for...and Fudo doesn't even need the idea of seeing Desumi as a maid to come, but boy does it help, and these two lovebirds want to participate in the Kokutei Moon Legend to cement their invincible couple status .

Poor Fudo gets stuck as Hayato's horse as he forces his way into coming with Fudo to the festival and abuses his transformation for the fangirls, but no guilt when Fudo ends up ditching him .

Desumi and Hojo look amazing as maids! Although I'm not surprised Hojo is taking her chance to try and get that picture with Desumi even if Desumi is still oblivious to her feelings...and why Hojo is strong enough to actually tackle and chase her because she's a fellow princess .

Beast Princess is cutting a kendo sword through any couple she sees out of frustration, but Steel Princess is already well into her date with (naked) Culverin Bear, who everyone writes off as cosplay. And then poor Kyoko actually mistakes a cosplayer for the real Culverin Bear

What I wouldn't give to be served sweets by maid Desumi. Fudo you lucky dog .

Blood Princess is the school nurse!? And she's in love with Bosslar!? And she's voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro!? Woah. And she can definitely hold her own against Hojo as a fellow Princess .

Poor Beast Princess gets squarely in Hayato's sight again, but at least it frees up Fudo and Desumi to be together...and the best way to take a picture together incognito turns out to be dressing up as themselves and everyone writing them off as cosplayers. But an in-costume couple pic is pretty great .

Wow, Desumi has her own transformation device? And her own sexy transformation sequence? I kind of want to see the other princesses' transform now .

All's well that ends well...Beast Princess beats up Hayato, Steel Princess finds Culverin Bear and introduces him to an enthusiastic bear cosplayer, Hojo and Blood Princess wreck the nurse's office, and Fudo and Desumi get their picture together .

I love how the female Kaijin have their own powder room and gossip like normal women about romance. Although there's nobody they find dateable among the male Kaijin and they're not even sure what Steel Princess sees in Culverin Bear, but they also completely write off Desumi being in a relationship, so that helps her cover .
Old 2022-06-10, 14:35   Link #212
Lex79

Well, sometimes having a reputation of being a merciless evil killer is useful to keep secrets. Not yhat it's going to make Desumi happy, though.
Old 2022-06-10, 16:00   Link #213
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Not yhat it's going to make Desumi happy, though.
She might have been unhappy if she heard it before, but after starting to date Fudo, she seems to usually ignore those stuff in general.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-10, 16:54   Link #214
grecefar

It was great that they take the picture in their outfits, and even make some people become fan of the couple even without knowing they were the real deal.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-10, 16:55   Link #215
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
If its the series I think you're talking about it might only be getting views because the actual episodes aren't worth watching. The super sentai thing is probably limiting but LAWD definitely has an audience... it does well on polls and has solid ratings on MAL and such. It doesn't really lend itself to clips either.

Anyway cosplay saves the day this episode; Fudo and Desumi can hide in plain sight. I wonder if they'll go to a Gelato-con or Gekko-con in the future...?
Old 2022-06-10, 23:41   Link #216
Decel

Desumi's school is a real Gekko farm at this point. I wonder if it's the same for Gelato's school, having at least 3 of the 5 Gelato as students. Maybe the other 2 are alumni?

It would be real fun if each school had its team/side of the sentai universe. What a wacky world that would be.

Edit: In one of the shots of them walking you actually see a Red Gelato cosplayer next to a Reaper Princess cosplayer, which kinda lowers the surprise/novel effect.

Last edited by Decel; 2022-06-11 at 09:15.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-17, 09:35   Link #217
Frontier

Gelato Five finally fight another Gekko Squad, Drone Rabbit's, and...it doesn't end well for them, especially when Judgement Princess takes out their weapons and leave them at the mercy of the goons .

The Opening! Now with sound effects !

Judgement Princess is the stealthy, non-social, type, but Desumi of course wants to better get to know her and what better chance than a Gekko Princess sleepover ?

All the girls looked great in their PJ's, and of course Hojo is still wearing her Heat Princess mask and using this as a chance to get nice and cozy with Desumi .

Judgement Princess, AKA Ranran, isn't quite in-tune with human emotions and feelings, at least in as far as not understanding how they relate to her mission, and she can transform and pose as anything. She can even look like Fudo, to Desumi's shock. I love how Desumi can tell it's not Fudo because she knows him and his muscles but everybody else just writes it off that she knows her nemesis well .

So, yeah, Hojo sleeps with Desumi and Kyoko wears an iron mask to bed...which checks out .

I'm glad that Ranran was able to get along with the girls even if she also kind of cornered Desumi on her love life, but it seems like she's genuinely become friends with the other girls .

Gotta love how Desumi needed to confirm it was really Fudo by ripping his shirt open to see his bare chest .

Poor Culverin Bear comes up with the perfect plan to defeat Gelato Five in the snow...only for it to get his forces too. At least he still has Steel Princess .

If I had a nickel for every couple who have chilled out in an igloo I would have two nickles, which isn't a lot but it's funny that it happened twice (Aharen-san) .

"I'll go! Even if it kills me!" - Then proceeds to get sick. Tempting fate never goes well. Is the implication that the cold got to her because her costume is so skimpy ?

It's good that the school nurse can sense when people are sick, but Blood Princess goes a little overboard in taking care of people because she has to turn them into babies and mother them...I mean, she still takes care of them, but none of these girls signed up for baby play .

So Blood Princess strips Desumi (nice fancy undies) and puts her in a baby outfit which hugs her body tight and shows off her amazing legs. I hope Fudo enjoyed the view .

Why am I not surprised Blood Princess wrote a childrens' book that basically talks about how awesome Bosslar is and ends up shipping them together ?

Good on Kiki and Kyoko for wanting to help Desumi, even if it just lead to them getting turned into babies and reinvigorating Kiki's trauma over her "mommy" .

Well, too bad for Fudo that nobody wants his book, but good that he can make his girlfriend the first one to get her book signed .
Old 2022-06-17, 10:23   Link #218
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

I think Blood Princess might be my new all time favorite school nurse character.
Old 2022-06-17, 21:49   Link #219
Decel

So Judgement Princess doesn't stay in the Gekko Girls Dorms?
Old 2022-06-17, 22:49   Link #220
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I'm curious to see what people here will say about this episode. So many comments I've seen in other places seem to be praising it, but... To me, the whole Blood Princess segment was sincerely one of the most uncomfortable and creepy things I've had the displeasure of sitting through in a long time... Ick.

(The first half with Judgment Princess was fine and honestly kind of wholesome.)