AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-19, 04:02   Link #4421
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Exploiting the Sunni/Shiite divide, I see. Let's observe what comes out of it.
Thank goodness this came before Iran actually built and test-fried a nuke. I still want to recognise the world tomorrow.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-10-19, 09:18   Link #4422
Shadow Kira01

Japan stays elusive on U.S. base issue, although Gates visit imminent

Quote:
''I don't think the unwavering relations of trust between Japan and the United States will be broken down because of this,'' Hirano said. ''It is important for both to make efforts to settle this so the relations won't fall apart.''
I agree with Hirano.

Honestly, I still don't understand why the United States is making threats that bilateral relations between Japan and the United States will go bad over the relocation of a military facility.. This sounds really ridiculous. I mean.. Mutual trust and strong bilateral ties should not be even slightly affected by the actions of relocating a military facility, unless the relationship is extremely fragile to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
[wry]But but but we must keep some at least in stock! Otherwise what else would we shoot or plant incoming killer comets with?![/wry]
Once the nuclear weapons are abolished, people might use those huge amounts of funding for some new projects such as developing mechas.. The Wing Zero's Twin Buster Rifle does a better against any nuclear weapon against killer comets.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:36   Link #4423
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...9D32.DTL&tsp=1

Somali pirates seized a Chinese cargo ship Monday with 25 people onboard, a naval spokesman for the European Union's anti-piracy force said, in the first successful attack on a Chinese vessel since the country deployed three naval warships to the region.
Cmdr. John Harbour said that coalition forces had observed at least two pirates onboard the deck of the De Xin Hai and the cargo ship also was towing two light skiffs used by the pirates behind it. All 25 crew onboard are Chinese, he said.

Anyone want to guess what China's response would be?
Old 2009-10-19, 11:32   Link #4424
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Welcome to the world community, China. Might want to rethink that "no internal affair comments allowed" idea...
Old 2009-10-20, 07:04   Link #4425
npcomplete

Quote:
Blow up the De Xin Hai
Old 2009-10-20, 08:27   Link #4426
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Blow up the De Xin Hai
So you mean China gets a chance to test out its ASBM it had been building to counter US' aircraft carriers??

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-10-20, 10:16   Link #4427
Shadow Kira01

Gates: 'No Alternatives' to US-Japan Security Accord

Quote:
"We in President Obama's administration understand what it is like to go through a transition period. And, as your government exercises its new responsibilities, I want you to know the United States stands with you and we are committed to advancing and implementing our agreed alliance transformation agenda," he said.

Earlier, on board his aircraft flying to Tokyo, Secretary Gates was more direct.

"We need to progress with the agreement that was negotiated. This has been a negotiation in the works for 15 years,"he stated. "All of the elements of it are interlocking. And, so it is important to continue with it. There really, as far as we're concerned, are no alternatives to the arrangement that was negotiated."
Such strong words.. It seems that the United States will clearly not negotiate on relocating the simple military facility at all but instead it will stand firm on keeping the military facility in Okinawa whether the Okinawans are unhappy about it or not, they could less. This also means that.. Even though the majority of the Okinawans do not desire to be protected by the local military base yet they will do so anyways as long as the sympathy budget continues. Wait a second, I thought the United States was an ally of mutual trust and strong bilateral relation.. I must had got the wrong impression because this clearly indicates otherwise.

South Korea 'Worried' About North's Uranium Program

Quote:
North Korea announced last month it has entered the final stage of enriching uranium. That would give Pyongyang a second way to make nuclear bombs, in addition to its plutonium-based program.

North Korea has signaled it is ready to return to international talks on its nuclear weapons program, if it gets to talk one-on-one with the United States.

South Korea's foreign minister expressed skepticism about North Korea's motives. He said there are no real grounds to believe the softening stance indicates a fundamental change in Pyongyang's position.
Considering that North Korea recently fired 5 long-ranged missiles which could possibly be a regular military training drill obviously causes distrust as that it occurred only a few days after North Korea agreed to return to six-party talks. Perhaps, the cargo bills should be passed yet at the same time, the six nations should still welcome North Korea back to the six-party talks. If they can fire missiles, then people can continue sanctions along with other trivial movements.
Old 2009-10-20, 10:26   Link #4428
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Former nurse's aide becomes Ugandan king

Quote:

KASESE, Uganda – For years, Charles Wesley Mumbere worked as a nurse's aide in Maryland and Pennsylvania, caring for the elderly and sick. No one there suspected that he had inherited a royal title in his African homeland when he was just 13.

Quote:

On Monday, after years of political upheaval and financial struggle, Mumbere, 56, was finally crowned king of his people to the sound of drumbeats and thousands of cheering supporters wearing cloth printed with his portraits.At a public rally later in the day, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni officially recognized the 300,000-strong Rwenzururu Kingdom. Museveni restored the traditional kingdoms his predecessor banned in 1967, but has been adamant that kings restrict themselves to cultural duties and keep out of politics. "It is a great moment to know that finally the central government has understood the demands of the Bakonzo people who have been seeking very hard for recognition of their identity," Mumbere told The Associated Press in the whitewashed single-story building that serves as a palace. The Rwenzururu parliament sits nearby, in a much larger structure made of reeds. It was here the traditional private rituals were held Sunday night and Monday morning to crown Mumbere king.Thousands walked several miles (kilometers) to see Mumbere, dressed in flowing green robes and a colorful hat, be officially recognized. Old men clutching canes shuffled up the hill beside women in colorful Ugandan dresses called "gomesi." Among them was Masereka Tadai, 43, proudly overseeing practice for a march that retired scouts and girl guides would perform before the king.

"Everyone is very happy because the president has accepted to come here and officially recognize the Rwenzururu Kingdom," Tadai said over a nearby drumbeat.

The new King of Uganda's Mountains of the Moon has undergone many transformations — from teenage leader of a rebel force to impoverished student to a nursing home assistant working two jobs in the U.S., where he lived for nearly 25 years. Mumbere's royal roots only became public in Pennsylvania this July, when he granted an interview to The Patriot-News of Harrisburg as he was preparing to return to Uganda. He inherited the title when his father, Isaya Mukirania Kibanzanga, died while leading a secessionist group in the Rwenzori Mountains, otherwise known as the Mountains of the Moon. The rebels were protesting the oppression of their Bakonzo ethnic group by their then-rulers, the Toro Kingdom. The Bakonzo demanded to be recognized as a separate entity and named Kibanzanga, a former primary school teacher, as their king in 1963.

"It was very difficult growing up in the bush," remembered Mumbere, who was 9 years old when his father took the family into the mountains. Although he received military training, Mumbere did not fight.

"Our country has been independent (from the British) for 40-something years but in Rwenzururu you may not find running water, there are no hospitals," Mumbere said. Shortly after Kibanzanga died, his son led the fighters down from the mountains to hand in their weapons. Mumbere went to the United States in 1984 on a Uganda government scholarship, attending a business school until Uganda's leadership changed and the stipend was stopped. He gained political asylum in 1987, trained as a nurse's aide and took a job in a suburban Washington nursing home to pay his bills, said The Patriot-News of Harrisburg in a July 2009 story. In 1999, he moved to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's capital, where he worked for at least two health care facilities.

He was "very loyal, a very hard worker, a very private person," said Johnna Marx, executive director of the Golden Living Center-Blue Ridge Mountain on the outskirts of Harrisburg. Mumbere said he chose to train as a nurse's aide because the work, "was more reliable. Other jobs you can be laid off easily." Living in the U.S., however, was "a very difficult experience," he said. "Sometimes you have two jobs. You go to college in the morning, between 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Then you go prepare to go to work at 3 p.m. and then return at 11 p.m." He is now a green card holder, and his son and daughter live in Harrisburg. But he never forgot the people he left behind. When the Ugandan government decided to reinstate the traditional kingdoms, Mumbere lobbied the Rwenzururu Kingdom to be among them.

After 10 years of negotiation, President Museveni announced in August the government would recognize the Rwenzururu Kingdom as Uganda's seventh kingdom. Government recognition does not grant any executive power but allows the monarchs to determine cultural and social issues affecting their people.

Source : Associated Press

Old 2009-10-20, 11:24   Link #4429
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Gates: 'No Alternatives' to US-Japan Security Accord

Such strong words.. It seems that the United States will clearly not negotiate on relocating the simple military facility at all but instead it will stand firm on keeping the military facility in Okinawa whether the Okinawans are unhappy about it or not, they could less. This also means that.. Even though the majority of the Okinawans do not desire to be protected by the local military base yet they will do so anyways as long as the sympathy budget continues. Wait a second, I thought the United States was an ally of mutual trust and strong bilateral relation.. I must had got the wrong impression because this clearly indicates otherwise.
Of course a nation is going to be resistant if one of their allies elects new leaders that insist on renegotiating a treaty that they had just recently finalized after a decade and a half of previous negotiations. No one's is going to say, "Oh, you suddenly changed your mind? Ok then, start over then. It's no problem."
Old 2009-10-20, 11:46   Link #4430
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Of course a nation is going to be resistant if one of their allies elects new leaders that insist on renegotiating a treaty that they had just recently finalized after a decade and a half of previous negotiations. No one's is going to say, "Oh, you suddenly changed your mind? Ok then, start over then. It's no problem."
This is why historically the US has "taken the easy route" of siding with dictators and strongmen... it means more predictability and less work (lazy). Never mind that it has also consistently blown up in our faces each and every time eventually. Dealing with other democracies means accepting that their people may throw out the "old bastards" when they derail too far.

The Japanese people have thrown out the "good old boys" ... and Mr. Gates needs to get off his f'ing horse and deal with that (and that's speaking as a voting American). I found that quote of his pretty insulting.
Old 2009-10-20, 13:35   Link #4431
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6882688.ece

A retired accountant was expected to face criminal charges last night after the abduction to France of a German cardiologist convicted of killing his teenage daughter 27 years ago.
personally i would have just buried him.
Old 2009-10-20, 16:38   Link #4432
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
personally i would have just buried him.
If justice can't be brought to him he must be brought to justice (literally). Knowing the german judicative system and how people with high social status are more likely to have the odds on their side in a court... I guess I would have done the same. Actually I would not have waited another 10 years.
Old 2009-10-20, 18:40   Link #4433
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is why historically the US has "taken the easy route" of siding with dictators and strongmen... it means more predictability and less work (lazy).
Does the predictability here refer to profiting in every possible scenario under any condition?
Old 2009-10-20, 22:56   Link #4434
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Does the predictability here refer to profiting in every possible scenario under any condition?
Pretty much, IMHO, in the light of the U.S. being a rather big arms dealer. It can profit from both peace and war.

I see this as being a first step in the U.S. attempting to get as much out of the Japanese government before moving its Pacific-based forces to, say, Hawaii and Guam in the form of a moving subsidy and future considerations. Very shortsighted of the Pentagon and the White House, IMHO, if so.

Having a base in Japan as well as ones in South Korea, Hawaii and Guam makes more sense to protect your troops by distributing them. You can also threaten both the USSR and, if necessary, China from multiple directions. In the current thinking, neither is really needed now.

U.S. sperm donor passed on genes for sudden cardiac death
Quote:
CHICAGO – A sperm donor passed on a potentially deadly genetic heart condition to nine of his 24 children, including one who died at age 2 from heart failure, according to a medical journal report.

Two children, both now teenagers, have developed symptoms and are at risk for sudden cardiac death, the report says. It's the second documented instance of a genetic condition being inherited through sperm donation.
I don't think sperm and ova donations go through genetic testing before being used?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-10-21, 09:55   Link #4435
Shadow Kira01

Dolphin-hunting film gets mixed reaction in Tokyo

Quote:
"Westerners say it's OK to kill and eat cows, but not dolphins," said Hiroshi Hatajima, a 42-year-old office worker from Tokyo. "That kind of special treatment isn't going to register with a lot of Japanese. We have to eat animals to survive. It's a cultural clash."

The film, while well-made, "comes across as somewhat propaganda-like," he said.
Old 2009-10-21, 13:03   Link #4436
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Lol I love this quote :

Quote:
"Westerners say it's OK to kill and eat cows, but not dolphins," said Hiroshi Hatajima, a 42-year-old office worker from Tokyo. "That kind of special treatment isn't going to register with a lot of Japanese. We have to eat animals to survive. It's a cultural clash."
Everyone know that dolphins are raised by human....Oh wait

Anyway this movie is a good thing and I hope they will show it in Japan too
Old 2009-10-21, 15:11   Link #4437
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is why historically the US has "taken the easy route" of siding with dictators and strongmen... it means more predictability and less work (lazy). Never mind that it has also consistently blown up in our faces each and every time eventually. Dealing with other democracies means accepting that their people may throw out the "old bastards" when they derail too far.
Which many people don't know, ignore or deny unfortunately. We are even partly responsible for Iran's current theocracy via an unintended consequence, when look back at history starting with Mosadek, British Petroleum, the CIA, the Shah, and the whole thing blew up resulting in Iranian (religious) revolution.

And sometimes we're just itching for a any reason--real or not--to expand influence, previously under the rationale of "fighting communism" and now "fighting terrorism". So not only did we again back a tyrant in Vietnam (Diem) just because he was anti-communist, it's been revealed that the whole Gulf of Tonkin incident which sparked the war was a complete fabrication!

Quote:
The Japanese people have thrown out the "good old boys" ... and Mr. Gates needs to get off his f'ing horse and deal with that (and that's speaking as a voting American). I found that quote of his pretty insulting.
Unfortunately his attitude just gives more credence to the idea of US imperialism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
I haven't seen The Cove yet, but as I understand from an interview with the filmakers, it shows a kind of hunting that's absolutely NOT dolphin-hunting in the sense of hunting for food. It exposes what amounts to be purely senseless killing. Basically the filmakers performed a little "spy" operation, undercover work, and hiring deep sea divers to plant underwater cameras. Shows rounding up dolphins for use in special amusement parks where people can actually play or swim with the dolphins. But they only select a handful -- the rest, they simply kill. As in just kill every dolphin left selected right in the sea where they netted them and just left there, so there's no way they--the unchosen amusement park dolphins-- are used for food. It makes no sense at all.

(Of course there could be more to the story so feel free to correct or add info)

Last edited by npcomplete; 2009-10-21 at 15:21.
Old 2009-10-21, 17:03   Link #4438
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Arizona police are looking for a man who they allege ran down his daughter and her friend because he believed his daughter had become "too Westernized." Peoria, Arizona, police said Wednesday that Faleh Hassan Almaleki, 48, struck his 20-year-old daughter, Noor Faleh Almaleki, and her friend Amal Edan Khalaf with a vehicle he was driving in a parking lot Tuesday afternoon.

Faleh Hassan Almaleki was angry with his daughter "as she had become too 'Westernized' and was not living according to [the family's] traditional Iraq[i] values," Peoria police said in a statement released Wednesday.

Noor Faleh Almaleki is hospitalized with life-threatening injuries, according to the statement. Khalaf, 43, received injuries that are not life-threatening but is still in the hospital, police said.

Noor Faleh Almaleki lives with Khalaf, police said.

Faleh Hassan Almaleki was last seen in a gray or silver Jeep Grand Cherokee, police said.

No further details were immediately available.

Peoria is about 13 miles northwest of Phoenix
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/21/...uck/index.html
Old 2009-10-21, 22:05   Link #4439
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Which many people don't know, ignore or deny unfortunately. We are even partly responsible for Iran's current theocracy via an unintended consequence, when look back at history starting with Mosadek, British Petroleum, the CIA, the Shah, and the whole thing blew up resulting in Iranian (religious) revolution.

And sometimes we're just itching for a any reason--real or not--to expand influence, previously under the rationale of "fighting communism" and now "fighting terrorism". So not only did we again back a tyrant in Vietnam (Diem) just because he was anti-communist, it's been revealed that the whole Gulf of Tonkin incident which sparked the war was a complete fabrication!

Unfortunately his attitude just gives more credence to the idea of US imperialism
The thing is the deal in place already involves relocating a good portion of American troops in Okinawa and moving an airstrip away from a civilian area. There's also more to this than just US-Japanese relations. Moving US forces out of the area could be seen by China and North Korea as the US drawing back it's involvement in East Asia. On the other hand, relocating the airbase to another island that's closer to Taiwan could be seen by China as an aggressive move on the part of the US. Further, I'm not sure how renegotiating the deal at this stage is in the interests of Japan's new government either. Starting over means the base probably will be delayed in relocating, which can't be good for their image.
Old 2009-10-22, 11:22   Link #4440
Shadow Kira01

Gates urges Japan to decide on U.S. base issue before Obama visit

Quote:
''I don't think we must give our answer to President Obama when he comes (to Japan),'' he said, adding he believes Afghanistan's reconstruction would be a bigger issue for Obama in their next talks.

''Given the prime minister's comments, I presume that it would be difficult (for the Japanese government) to come up with a political decision (before Obama visits),'' Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano said at a press conference earlier in the day.
Considering that the Nobel Peace Prize winner who had once given an awesome denuclearization speech in Prague haven't decided on whether to visit the Peace Memorial in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the only places in the world to have been hit by atomic bombs.. I really don't see why it is necessary to come up with an answer on the relocation issue should be thought of prior to the arrival of the American President. Besides, there are other important issues to be raised such as environment protection and also the Afghanistan issue.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
The thing is the deal in place already involves relocating a good portion of American troops in Okinawa and moving an airstrip away from a civilian area. There's also more to this than just US-Japanese relations. Moving US forces out of the area could be seen by China and North Korea as the US drawing back it's involvement in East Asia.
It appears that you don't seem to understand the problem at all. The Okinawans are not happy at the fact that the ones who are responsible for protecting them are wrecking havoc occasionally and to add.. They are also performing noisy military drills causing lots of people to lack sleep everyday. Quite a number of people in Okinawa cannot enjoy their everyday life thanks to the presence of the American military facility and they hope it can be relocated elsewhere, how is this not acceptable?

I do understand your point of view which is mere selfishness. Yes, if the American soldiers relocate to anywhere else, they will be seen by North Korea or China but so what? There are already tons of Chinese agents within the American government, what makes letting their soldiers and their equipment seen by China so special? In fact, is getting American soldiers and military equipment seen by China more important of an issue than the cries of Okinawans who have their everyday life enjoyment taken away from them? I know the United States is an ally and everything but their importance should not be valued on top of Okinawans. If there should be unfair relations, the new government of Japan should rank the Okinawans above American soldiers; definitely not the other way around.

Quote:
On the other hand, relocating the airbase to another island that's closer to Taiwan could be seen by China as an aggressive move on the part of the US.
There is nothing more aggressive on the US part if than dropping explosives on civilian buildings in the Middle East and not relocating their military base in Okinawa threatening that it would harm bilateral ties. China, who is a supporter of the East Asian Community can very well see that the United States is quite aggressive prior to relocating their base anywhere.

Quote:
Further, I'm not sure how renegotiating the deal at this stage is in the interests of Japan's new government either. Starting over means the base probably will be delayed in relocating, which can't be good for their image.
Oh God...you can't be serious!?

What do you mean by "at this stage"? Something the United States has came up with all by themselves along with the pro-Americans definitely don't mean people have to agree to without reviewing it first? Delaying the relocation is much better than making hasty decisions that causes problem afterwards.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international