AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-02-08, 23:43   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Webpage Layout Glitch

Not sure if this is just my browser or...

Sometimes, when I load a thread, the message part only takes up 30% of the page, while most of the page is just the user name part expanded. Usually, when I refresh my page, the problem is fixed.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 06:39   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hmm, take a screenshot next time it happens.
Old 2009-02-09, 07:55   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I've seen that happen a few times, when the contact images don't load correctly.

What I observed was a transient problem, occurring most frequently with user who have their skype details set. The image is loaded from a skype server, so that it changes with online status; sometimes the images take a long time to load or don't load at all. Due to the length of the ALT text, used when an image isn't displayed, the page gets distorted.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 17:58   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

It happened again, so I made a screenshot of it. Okay, the screenshot doesn't look very good but it gives you an idea of what the glitch is about..

And this is what it should be when there is no glitch:

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-02-09 at 23:13. Reason: added screenshot of no glitch difference
Old 2009-02-09, 19:05   Link #5
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Oh, I've also experienced that.

Didn't pay much attention to it though, because in my almost 2 years of stay here. I've seen it only a few times.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-02-09 at 21:46.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 19:09   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

That is very strange; I can't think of anything that would cause what your picture demonstrates. What browser are you using? Knowing the precise version would help us replicate the problem.

Edit: Wait a second; the post order is different to what I'm seeing. I didn't think post order could be reverse... I need to check your settings if I'm going to even start replicating this. Forgot that setting applies to posts not threads.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 23:15   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
That is very strange; I can't think of anything that would cause what your picture demonstrates. What browser are you using? Knowing the precise version would help us replicate the problem.

Edit: Wait a second; the post order is different to what I'm seeing. I didn't think post order could be reverse... I need to check your settings if I'm going to even start replicating this. Forgot that setting applies to posts not threads.
I added another screenshot of how the thread looks like when there isn't a glitch. It has nothing to do with the reversed post order, since I changed the settings. If that is what you meant by the layout looking very strange.
Old 2009-02-10, 06:29   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Hm. Looks like a rendering glitch rather then anything wrong with the forum; it can be caused from anything from javascript to the markup itself. The width value of the side row is set in stone to 170~ soemthing I think so probably setting a max-width on it with the same value may prevent the problem.
Old 2009-02-10, 08:52   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The source code for this page shows the left column set at 175 px:

<td class="alt2" width="175" ...

Maybe Nightwish already adopted your suggestion?

I actually find the opposite problem more annoying, where someone has a large graphic or an unbreakable text string that squeezes the left column. I don't know if fixing the LH column size would help with this, though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 08:54   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

No that's been there for ages. Also to fix that which you pointed out min-width might work, or a overflow set to scrollbars on the content bit; since that is the source of the squeze (but trust me your browsers scroll is much more friendly then those).
Old 2009-03-02, 19:38   Link #11
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Saw a similar problem at the Ranka Lee thread, it's the post at the bottom.
And it persists even after refreshing the page.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=64736&page=73
Old 2009-03-02, 19:41   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I can not replicate. It may be a IE issue (wouldnt surprise me).

There appears to be a set of 8 consecutive thumbnails in the quote, it may be IE has problems with wrap on images.
Old 2009-03-02, 20:05   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well, if its any conselation, this problem isnt really a "layout glitch" since that's how vB was designed to work when a post has content which would escape the screen maximum width and no way to wrap it.1
Spoiler for example:
The only issue here is that it is aparently happening where there should not be a need for it.
Old 2009-03-02, 20:12   Link #14
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Thanks for clearing things up.
Not much of a problem anyway, since it's only that one post.
Old 2009-03-10, 06:36   Link #15
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
There is a similar problem to this I wanted to ask a long time ago, but it took me a while to take screenshots of both situations.

This time, it's about the Older Series subforum.

Spoiler for example pic:

The "threads" and "posts" columns keep shifting from time to time (takes a few weeks to happen, but it does...quite often), making the number of columns for the anime list change between 5-6. I am just curious if this is the same problem as Cats implied above. Kinda irritates me when I don't find my favorite threads in their places.

I tried to look at what could make this happen, at first I thought it was the number of series, but as seen in the picture, there is no extra anime that would force the list to reorganize (not even in the current series). It just keeps bugging me every time it switches.

And no, I didn't change the Firefox 3 window size (always on fullscreen), nor the resolution of my screen (1280×1024).

Any ideas?
Old 2009-03-10, 06:44   Link #16
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^ I'm just going to say I have the same issue. However, it's a 20% chance it will happen every time I refresh the page, quite often in other words. Don't consider it a problem, just curious myself.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 12:00   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
The "threads" and "posts" columns keep shifting from time to time
The listing section is the only flexible part in the table. When something needs more space it will give way.

In your example the title of the thread you see in the Last Post column is too large1.

One solution would be to allow for titles to wrap, and give them a min-width2, however this may require some tampering with the code3 since if I remember correctly there are issues with the min-width/max-width Css rules applied on a document with a XHTML Transitional DTD switch when interpreted by IE6.

(this is just my guess)
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 13:50   Link #18
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The listing section is the only flexible part in the table. When something needs more space it will give way.

In your example the title of the thread you see in the Last Post column is too large
I fear that is not the case. You see, it seems the column width doesn't care about the title length. Well, the only possibility would be a SPECIFIC number of characters.

First, there are the two titles in the picture (character count includes spaces):
  • Who's Your Favorite Mai-Otome Character?
  • 40 chars
  • 5 columns
  • Higurashi Merchandise (Figurines, Artbooks, OSTs, etc.)
  • 55 chars
  • 6 columns
Then there's two more thread titles I've seen with last posts just a moment ago:
  • The Avatar & Signature Requests of Haruhi Suzumiya [Read Guidelines]
  • 68 chars
  • 6 columns
  • Claymore Chapter 89
  • 19 chars
  • 6 columns
The last thread shows that the problem must be somewhere else.The only thread with 5 columns was a poll though. But that could have been just a coincidence, I'll keep my eye on some polls showing up and see how many columns are shown at that time. Though I highly doubt a poll would make such a mess.
Old 2009-03-10, 16:20   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

vB will process the title and shorten it using a "..." (ellipsis) so that the Last Post column is not too large. If you look at your example above1 you can see how the longer title has a wider column2. It does not necessarily have to be the title of the last thread in Old Series, since the column width is determined by the title length of the largest title on the entire page.

If you wish to see a demo of what I'm saying, simply save the page3,4 and replace any title you wish with a long piece of text. You will notice how you have a very wide Last Post column now.
4 In the Web Browser Opera it is not necessary to save the page, simply view the source edit and hit apply, that tab for which you viewed the source will be updated.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 16:51   Link #20
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
vB will process the title and shorten it using a "..." (ellipsis) so that the Last Post column is not too large.

It does not necessarily have to be the title of the last thread in Old Series, since the column width is determined by the title length of the largest title on the entire page.

I didn't think about that. Bah, my bad. Should have thought about it as a whole instead of being fixated on the Old Series subforum, which was the most visible element of the problem at hand. And about the title shortening, I simply wasn't aware it works that way. Sorry for jumping to conclusions like that.

Thank you for your time and patience.