AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-07, 22:14   Link #101
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Well, you didn't quite state that you aren't in the US. But what I said still applies to other countries too, unless thay have some kind of specific bias against a Gundam series without plot-armor mechs and pretty boys.

The end product is what we have. Any anime can be great if it has the right staff and producers.
Old 2007-11-07, 22:19   Link #102
The Blacknoah
Maniacal Dictator

Message from the Blacknoah:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
The end product is what we have. Any anime can be great if it has the right staff and producers.
A fact is a fact. That I cannot deny.
The Blacknoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 17:28   Link #103
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Some defense of Wing:

- Let's not bring Endless Waltz into this. Not only were the designs ridiculous (I'm with hobbes_fan... FEATHERS?!), but it also features other ridiculousness, like some of the Gundam pilots being completely inexperienced. Is it even canon?

- Despite having a less prominent role than the primary characters, Treize was the real force that made Wing a worthwhile, unique story. He provided a very interesting perspective on war and fighting. He was a villain, to be sure, but as one who understood political power and yet worked not for his own self-interest but for his philosophy, he at least earned the viewer's respect.

- Zechs was a better antagonist than Char. Don't flame me, because I don't even like writing it, myself. This really only applies to the pre-head-case-I-want-to-be-Char's-Counterattack Zechs, though. Zechs had identifiable motivations and emotions, whereas Char was pretty much a soldier with a sense of honor who, for some reason, latched on to Amuro as his Moby Dick. Yes, there was the Zabi family issues, but that takes a backseat to his primary place as Amuro's rival. That's a tad ridiculous. It's understandable, since Char's character development was actually designed for a completely different direction for the story that didn't happen, but it still ends up making a poor impression. Zechs, however, is his own person first and Heero's rival second. Zechs is an attempt to do Char right. It works very well, but it leaves a very different impression outside of the context of the original Gundam story, so he'll never really be Char.

- Fancy, yet not "super robot" style, mobile suit designs from Tallgeese to Epyon to Wing Zero. Yeah, they're flashy, but they look danged good. Wanna fight about it? (Endless Waltz and its stupidity doesn't count.)

- NO NEWTYPES. The Newtype plot element of the original Gundam series isn't bad, just out of place. It cheapens everything that came before it. Wing uses the Zero system to pay homage to the original without becoming mired in trying to decide which story it's trying to tell.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 20:17   Link #104
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I'm not sure if Endless Waltz is as bad as some might say. The story was slow and could have used "pizazz," but I always thought the designs of the Gundams were a lot better than from in the series. (Mind you, I actually liked all the designs.) I'm not sure where this feather talk is coming from, but the things that came close to shapes of feathers from Wing Zero Custom was the particles of energy it left behind, so I don't see any shedding of feathers like a bird would. Simply that dissipating effect. All the Gundams were actually redesigned to be less gimmicky than the series with Wing Zero losing its shield, Altron (Nataku) losing its tail, and the simplification of weaponry and design, while giving them a little more power. This, I read in an article many years back interviewing the director. As I remember it, the article also said that the reason they redesigned was so it would meld with the rest of the setting. For example, the colors to Heavyarms became more militaristic while its pods were lessened down while keeping the same amount of missiles.

But, in the end, this thread is about why we like Gundam Wing, not dislike it. To me, Gundam Wing was my first Gundam anime I watched from beginning to end, not because I'm in the US (I used to frequently visit my family in Philippines, so there were moments when I saw glimpses of other Gundam series on TV), but because it had the right ingredients at the right time for me. I actually like it better than SEED or SEED Destiny. Up to now, I've seen Gundam, Gundam 0083, 08th MS Team, G Gundam, etc, and not many seem to contend with my liking towards Gundam Wing. 08th MS Team came close, and so did Gundam SEED Stargazer. Now, with Gundam 00 out, another series may come close again. Maybe it's the political intrigue and the twists and turns that keeps me entertained and interested. Who knows?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 20:26   Link #105
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I saw Wing first and loved it, but then again I barely understood it. I was in sixth grade at the time so all the serious political stuff made a large impression on me. In retrospect, it was a horrible, head-throbbing disaster, making little sense and full of dialogue that went no-where.

It isn't nearly as atrocious a travesty as SEED or its bastard heckspawn, SEED Destiny though. Oh man, looking at everything from the UC perspective and how mainstream people seem try to "get Gundam" through their first introduction is both nostalgic and horrifying.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-11-11 at 03:12. Reason: clarification.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 20:57   Link #106
Cherudim Arche

I remember watching gundam wing when Toonami had some good shows to play. From my experince, I remember gundam wing for the intense battles, and the climatic music the fits each mission. As for endless waltz, for the exact same reason, but I think they should have crammed more action for the gundams though. Another reason I like it as well is for the design, even a simple grunt suit can be used good once in while.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 01:55   Link #107
Paininator

Plot armor
Paininator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 02:02   Link #108
Cherudim Arche

At least Heero isn't untouchable compared to the godly Kira. At least grunts has time for more action, regardless of the pilot using them.
Old 2007-11-11, 02:13   Link #109
Bocca
Banned

When you have a grunt getting upgraded to being a 'somebody' because he pilots the Wing Zero, you can't help but be impressed.
Bocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 11:37   Link #110
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocca View Post
When you have a grunt getting upgraded to being a 'somebody' because he pilots the Wing Zero, you can't help but be impressed.
Anybody becomes a very dangerous someone in Wing Zero
Old 2007-11-11, 11:44   Link #111
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Anybody becomes a very dangerous someone in Wing Zero
Or any Gundam fitted with the Zero system for that matter. Quattre got his share of the Zero system in his Sandrock once.
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 12:26   Link #112
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

Wing Zero is just an awesome mobile suit with awesome destructive powr, seeing this clip brings tears of joy to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIamdXHoxJ8
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 13:17   Link #113
beamknight87
Gold Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicX_Zero View Post
Wing Zero is just an awesome mobile suit with awesome destructive powr, seeing this clip brings tears of joy to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIamdXHoxJ8

PWNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:08   Link #114
Paininator

Wow, that is the most corniest thing I've ever seen. He even has time to do a pose with all those bright lights, even when enemies are there.
Paininator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:12   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paininator View Post
Why is it that everyone likes Gundam Wing?
Everyone? Hmmm, we must run in different circles....
Old 2007-11-12, 01:18   Link #116
Cherudim Arche

Every gundam will pose for the camera sometime, look at images based off the the lead gundam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtLV5xdtvI

If you seen endless waltz, you will remember this scene.
Old 2007-11-12, 23:20   Link #117
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
It's not like this is the only Gundam series that the Gundams pose. The "pose" in Endless Waltz by Wing Zero Custom was more reasonable since it didn't last very long before it took off and it happened where there was no enemies around.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 03:47   Link #118
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
The only Newtype thing that could be some sort of Newtype encounter is Quatre's Heart of the Universe vibes.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 00:51   Link #119
pyro_dragun
No Dodgy

Wing was the first gundam I ever saw, so I like it.
pyro_dragun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 02:44   Link #120
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I was a UC Gundam viewer and I still loved Wing.

I think the reasons are:

-Wing was THE introduction of Gundam to the western audience. That is for a fact. Mobile Suit Gundam wasn't even translated and shipped out on DVDs until well after Wing. Zeta and G Gundam took even longer.

-The quality of the writing is pretty good. Some people thought the scenarios of the boy soldiers are ridiculous, but that is a part of the charm. There are SO many great lines and moments int he show to make it worth remembering.

-The mecha designs were easily the most unique for me personally. And I'm sure many would agree at least with the Five Gundams and some of the OZ suits which had a pretty distinctive look to them.

-The music. God the music was AWESOME. Typical Kou Otani. Brilliance.

-The overt homosexual overtones probably turned off a lot of people, but I thought it made the show even more unique in feel. And besides, it wasn't really that big a deal except for Quatre and Trowa.

-The action. Yes, one sided battles and all, but I thought it was amazing for the most part.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote