AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-26, 02:26   Link #2501
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Just wanted to remind that future events' spoilers, hints, or even just deductions made with manga knowledge (thus most likely true) were banned from this thread a while ago. Even more so now that the series is nearing its end. The recent two posts containing spoilers or hints, doesn't matter how well or how much tagged, have been edited to remove said contents.
Old 2010-01-26, 09:06   Link #2502
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Also... the who azuma/sendo moment was just too cheesynt.
It's Senda

lol
Old 2010-01-26, 09:10   Link #2503
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Or maybe Kou is waiting to accomplish the 160 km mark
More like that's what Aoba is waiting for.
Old 2010-01-26, 10:46   Link #2504
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
It's Senda

lol
yea that was my point. If Azuma has changed as much as many of the veiwers have purported he wouldn't have missed an entire kanji for senda's name. It's just the writing is sloppy, at least they could have had azuma use a pun, to be more fitting than just have azuma change the kanji to sound similar. That's the difference between adachi and these hacks who do the filler. I just don't believe that Azuma would ever do anything half assed. I mean that was the entire air about him, what made him the MONSTER, is because he doesn't do anything half assed. Even when he's batting the pitches of the girl he likes, he shows ZERO MERCY. Basically it was OOC for me, and it shatter the illusion of the type of man azuma is.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 11:00   Link #2505
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not certain I get your point. As you saying Azuma mis-pronounced Senda's name by accident? I thought he did it on purpose in a rather joking way. I don't think he's unaware of Senda's true name at this point in the story, do you?

If Azuma were to have used a pun, would the average nine-year-old viewer have caught the reference? Remember this is a show that targets family audiences, not the kinds of people who belong to AS. Perhaps the writers you appear to despise have a better sense of their audience than you?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 11:13   Link #2506
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm not certain I get your point. As you saying Azuma mis-pronounced Senda's name by accident? I thought he did it on purpose in a rather joking way. I don't think he's unaware of Senda's true name at this point in the story, do you?

If Azuma were to have used a pun, would the average nine-year-old viewer have caught the reference? Remember this is a show that targets family audiences, not the kinds of people who belong to AS. Perhaps the writers you appear to despise have a better sense of their audience than you?
true but sacrificing character for audience is not what adachi does. And for the most part the pretty faithful anime adaptation to his work should at least keep with the established character conventions. The idea of tarnishing azuma's work ethic is not worth it in my opinion. And don't even get me started about the female baseball stuff, it was just annoying and out of place, I understand sponsors have their right to as for in show advertising but I wish the writers of the show at least asked adachi on how he would have incorporated aoba's national baseball team into the story they were adapting. Because the writing just feels like night and day, or rehashed stuff but not nearly as poignant as the original.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 12:32   Link #2507
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I think it says loads about the anime and adaptation quality when people are able to nitpick and discuss about such tiny details, but whatever.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 14:15   Link #2508
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
More like that's what Aoba is waiting for.
Touche, Touche I admit, that did slip my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think it says loads about the anime and adaptation quality when people are able to nitpick and discuss about such tiny details, but whatever.
I was thinking the same thing. This has been such an amazing run but we're nearing the end and I hope they end this wonderful anime the right way.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 01:19   Link #2509
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
yea that was my point. If Azuma has changed as much as many of the veiwers have purported he wouldn't have missed an entire kanji for senda's name. It's just the writing is sloppy, at least they could have had azuma use a pun, to be more fitting than just have azuma change the kanji to sound similar. That's the difference between adachi and these hacks who do the filler. I just don't believe that Azuma would ever do anything half assed. I mean that was the entire air about him, what made him the MONSTER, is because he doesn't do anything half assed. Even when he's batting the pitches of the girl he likes, he shows ZERO MERCY. Basically it was OOC for me, and it shatter the illusion of the type of man azuma is.
Good point. I never viewed it like this

I like that so much about his character. I don't like people who show mercy, it is disrespectful to the opponent.

I suppose they could have tried to cram less in the previous episode instead of making up their own stuff. And I thought Adachi was supervising (someone said so earlier in the thread), so now I guess not...or maybe he can't say much about the filler material...

Anyway, anime adaptations (especially the ones with 50+ eps) usually have a lot of filler material, and at least it is not as bad as Shugo Chara!

I am still worried about the way they will end it.
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 10:35   Link #2510
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Finally got time for my Cross Game fix this week. That said, these are the types of episodes I love the series for.

I guess you can say that this is officially the beginning of the final arc of the series. Despite the fact that they're supposed to be on break, they're still taking the tournament and training dead serious. Even slacker boy Senda is finally walking the walk as opposed to just talking it.

I really enjoyed the fact that the episode is a throwback of sorts. Nearing the end of the run characters are going back to old routines we've seen when it started all those months ago. Batters at the Tsukihima batting center, Kou practice pitching with Akaishi, Nakanishi still stuffing his face etc. It all shows that despite all the time that went by, these people we've seen grow are still themselves who retain their past habits and practices even when the first great challenge of their lives is about to begin. At least in this episode Nakanishi finally had his moment of awesome for his girl.

Best scene for me is the shared sunset between Kou and Aoba. Ok it's not really shared since they aren't in the same place but I'll be damned if they weren't looking at it at the same time. It's all said in their faces:

"The dream begins here."
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 15:26   Link #2511
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier(long, long ago) View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
There's no love in such a half-assed statement! Bamboo blade was in the 1660's!! Aim for the 2,000 posts!!!
You can't compare Bamboo Blade with Cross Game. The former was filled with ludicrously cute high school girls (God bless them, if I may add), while the latter doesn't really want to rely on graphics' appeal, but instead only focus on plot.
At that time I would have never expected that I was setting a low target for the number of posts and attention Cross Game would receive on Animesuki. Despite being a late comer myself, one of the greatest satisfactions I can feel as an anime watcher is when many people enjoy with me those shows that I consider to be the best of the best. Can I say, aim for the 3000's?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 15:35   Link #2512
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, I think we'll get there, alright...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 15:59   Link #2513
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
At that time I would have never expected that I was setting a low target for the number of posts and attention Cross Game would receive on Animesuki. Despite being a late comer myself, one of the greatest satisfactions I can feel as an anime watcher is when many people enjoy with me those shows that I consider to be the best of the best. Can I say, aim for the 3000's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, I think we'll get there, alright...
That's cake. We'll definitely reach 3,000 by the end of the series. I'm a late comer myself but only because I don't like watching a great series weekly since I'll be way too anxious after every episode I will say this though, I've enjoyed all the discussions that have gone on since I joined this little thread

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 16:15   Link #2514
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was curious how this thread ranked in the Current Series forum. Cross Game is first at somewhat over 2,500 postings, with a small lead over White Album (nearly 2,400), and a somewhat larger lead over Kämpfer (about 2,250).

http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdis...ort=replycount

Comparisons to series with sub-forums is a bit more difficult since there isn't a convenient method for getting total posts for each sub-forum. Bakemonogatari isn't all that far ahead of Cross Game. The "generic" thread has about 1,800 posts, and the other threads are in the low hundreds. Index is busier, though it's most populated thread concerns the light novel (about 1,700), and there are about a 1,000 postings in the image thread. The manga thread for Cross Game is also substantial, approaching 1,200 postings. I don't know if Cross Game would have generated similar levels of image traffic, though there would probably be a pretty good business in designing CG signatures!

Of course, being a 51-episode series contributes to CG's posting totals.

(OT: Why is the manga thread for Rosario+Vampire at almost 13,000 postings? Is this just a post-Twilight phenomenon? I recall watching an episode or two of the anime and don't remember being all that impressed.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-01-28 at 16:27.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 16:47   Link #2515
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
(OT: Why is the manga thread for Rosario+Vampire at almost 13,000 postings? Is this just a post-Twilight phenomenon? I recall watching an episode or two of the anime and don't remember being all that impressed.)
Off-topic reply: Yeah it's insanely popular, and has been since it began back in 2004. The anime threads pretty much followed the same pattern.
Old 2010-01-29, 03:58   Link #2516
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
That's cake. We'll definitely reach 3,000 by the end of the series. I'm a late comer myself but only because I don't like watching a great series weekly since I'll be way too anxious after every episode I will say this though, I've enjoyed all the discussions that have gone on since I joined this little thread
Agreed DeX-kun. It's always interesting for me to find out how other viewers interpret the episode every week. Thank goodness we don't all boringly see the same things all the time. It just makes the show that much more enjoyable to watch because I know I tend to miss out on certain things in the show.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 04:08   Link #2517
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
Thank goodness we don't all boringly see the same things all the time.
Correct, we've seen examples just recently. In ep.41 I saw a lot of nitpicking in minor details when in my opinion it's been one of the best episodes of the series.

42, on the other hand, didn't work much for me. It sure gave out the typical CG feeling, but too little happened. I'm all for "calm before the storm" episodes, but something needs to happen, an episode with zero Aoba-Kou interactions is not the best choice at this point of time. I liked the "before the match" part much more before they faced Ryuou the first time.
But in general I see people have well received ep.42 too, opinions definitely vary, which is obviously good and healthy for a discussion board.
Old 2010-01-29, 13:58   Link #2518
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I was just reading Itsumo Misora (just happened across it and saw it was by Adachi), and I finally understand the "Senda freaks out over the Neko" joke.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 19:11   Link #2519
GrimJack

I always wanted to post here but as i am a huge fan of the manga I dare not.

My comments might inadvertently have spoilers in them.

However I love the Anime, I only watch one regularly, due to time restrictions and boy is this ever good
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 22:49   Link #2520
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I've watched the first 11 episodes of Cross Game with ANBU's awesome subs before taking a personal hiatus from watching, but they haven't subbed any of the show since episode 24. What is the best subbing group for Cross Game?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports