AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-12-03, 00:26   Link #2001
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(dropping the first three points because it's a subjective argument)

Even if you don't like Suguha as a character, she at least serves as a plot device that creates a journey that leads to a conclusion. But there's more to plot than just the physical plot of going from Point A to Point B (although she contributes to that too!). Indeed, Sugou could probably be replaced by another plot device that manages to prevent Asuna's release if you really wanted to. The story of Suguha's heartbreak requires Suguha.

Suguha's story has every element of a story that fully stands on its on. It's just intertwined in this story so that two connected stories are being told at the same time. You can't lop off one of the two stories and be like "this one doesn't matter!". It's as much a part of this story as everything else.
Alright, now that I've calmed down a bit I'll make an admission: Suguha's story is fine enough. When untangled from the Saving Asuna plot thread, it stands on its own. However, I'm still not a fan of the thread's existence due to how poorly its executed.

I'm sorry, but I have to bring up GGO semi-spoilers again because it's the best example I can come up with. Just can the whole post if you'd rather not read them.

Spoiler for Begin:

TL: DR
I like the beginning and end of ALO, but absolutely despise how the middle of the story was executed.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 00:50   Link #2002
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to bring up GGO semi-spoilers again because it's the best example I can come up with. Just can the whole post if you'd rather not read them.
I moved your post here because obviously you put some time into it, but you simply can't post anything about future novel content in anime threads at all.

Anyway, I'm not intending to participate in this thread for fear of other spoilers, although I did read your post (though my ability to validate the comparisons are limited because I don't know the novels). What I can say is that a) I think you're missing some of the connections between the two plot threads in the middle section (like, for example, the visit to the hospital: very key), and b) part of the thing you dislike is inherent to a doomed romance by its very nature. It's an emotion-driven plot, not an action-driven one. They are indeed being developed as parallel perspectives that are, for a time, at conflict with one another, and the growing gap between the perspectives is part of the point. I understand why you don't like it, but I think a lot of it is necessary to develop the two threads in parallel and to give Suguha's emotions some degree of credibility. It's not something they could resolve in a moment.

I'm not saying they couldn't have done something differently. But I'm not prepared yet to say that what they did was bad or poorly-realized for what the theme of the overall arc is -- mostly because I need to wait for the arc to finish.

Anyway, I'm out of here...
Old 2012-12-03, 05:50   Link #2003
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Alright, now that I've calmed down a bit I'll make an admission: Suguha's story is fine enough. When untangled from the Saving Asuna plot thread, it stands on its own. However, I'm still not a fan of the thread's existence due to how poorly its executed.

Spoiler for Begin:

TL: DR
I like the beginning and end of ALO, but absolutely despise how the middle of the story was executed.
Well I totally have to agree with you that in ALO both story strings have no connection at all, which leads to the problem that they are changeable and not very original. However if you would cut the storyline from Sugu, you would have nothing to fill in the gap between the beginning and the end of ALO, as you would have to fill it up with reasonable content to keep the readers entertained.

Nobody reads a book for its ending (unless it is the end of a big book series) as otherwise you could simply start at the beginning and then move forward to the end

The problem with the reasonable contant is what to use? Unlike SAO you can't put in normal daily MMO practices like leveling or searching for new weapons, because in SAO even that could mean your death, while in ALO that could just end in your respawn. So the whole tension of the plot is away.

There are also no bossmonsters in ALO (at least until the end of the arc), no restriction to where u can go before solving several quests and so on. So your last string would be to put something in that doesn't have anything to do with the VRMMO world and well the easiest story would be a lovestory .

I have to agree that that wasn't a very good choice but he has at least learned from his mistakes.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 09:50   Link #2004
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

I've been wondering......does people really reallllllly hate ALO arc? seeing from Vsin's post I can make a conclusion that some people think the arc is so bad because of how Suguha's story and Kirito's story interwined on such a random events(correct me if I'm wrong)?
Old 2012-12-03, 10:36   Link #2005
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

While the ALO arc is my least favorite out of all of them, I've become to warm up to it a bit with the anime adaption and a fresh perspective. Suguha specifically, didn't really care for her the first time around, but now, eh...

Although I agree that GGO contained a much better intertwining of narratives. Hooray for author development!
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 11:06   Link #2006
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
I've been wondering......does people really reallllllly hate ALO arc? seeing from Vsin's post I can make a conclusion that some people think the arc is so bad because of how Suguha's story and Kirito's story interwined on such a random events(correct me if I'm wrong)?
I don't think people necessarily hate the ALO arc, because it does have its good points. But yes, many people believe that the ALO arc is for the most part inferior to the other arcs, especially to the subsequent GGO and MR, because of less cohesive writing and inferior characterization.
Tenoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 11:50   Link #2007
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoia View Post
I don't think people necessarily hate the ALO arc, because it does have its good points. But yes, many people believe that the ALO arc is for the most part inferior to the other arcs, especially to the subsequent GGO and MR, because of less cohesive writing and inferior characterization.
I see....well I'll admit that ALO's has quite a number of inferiority to the other arcs not just limited to GGO and MR. But personally those kind of things doesn't really matter to me since what I'm expecting from the story is the enjoyment aspect not to look for things such as inferior aspects and in turn to dislike the respective arc. As long as the story still gives enjoyment, I'm fine with it and I think ALO still gives enjoyment despite the lacking in some aspects of the story. Also criticizing ALO arc at this point won't achieve anything worth it since ALO is one of the finished arcs and there are already other arcs continuing it. To view it from the overally-wise, it all still ends good.
Old 2012-12-03, 12:14   Link #2008
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
I see....well I'll admit that ALO's has quite a number of inferiority to the other arcs not just limited to GGO and MR. But personally those kind of things doesn't really matter to me since what I'm expecting from the story is the enjoyment aspect not to look for things such as inferior aspects and in turn to dislike the respective arc. As long as the story still gives enjoyment, I'm fine with it and I think ALO still gives enjoyment despite the lacking in some aspects of the story. Also criticizing ALO arc at this point won't achieve anything worth it since ALO is one of the finished arcs and there are already other arcs continuing it. To view it from the overally-wise, it all still ends good.
Yes, I do agree with you. The entire SAO series as a whole is great in my opinion because of its enjoyment factor. Hell, SAO was the first light novel series I've ever read and I enjoyed every single arc when I first read it. It was only when I went back to re-read each volume and tried to rank each arc that I began to notice the inherent flaws in each of them. However, I don't believe that these flaws detract from the enjoyment that the entire series has to offer, though some people might disagree.
Tenoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 17:40   Link #2009
jonathanasdf

Send a message via MSN to jonathanasdf
So looks like it's pretty safe to say...... Tonkii has definitely been cut out now... ep 23 was the last possible episode for it to maybe show up. Dammit, if only the show was 26 or 27 episodes long... that part was my favorite part of ALO
jonathanasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 22:55   Link #2010
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanasdf View Post
So looks like it's pretty safe to say...... Tonkii has definitely been cut out now... ep 23 was the last possible episode for it to maybe show up. Dammit, if only the show was 26 or 27 episodes long... that part was my favorite part of ALO
It's better to show Tonkii in MR later on(if there's going to be season 3 that is). Since Tonkii is quite a spoiler so needs to be cut.
Old 2012-12-09, 08:22   Link #2011
Znail

They will most likely combine the Tonki story with the Excalibur SS. This also helps fill up a future season as there were some issues with content that fit neatly into a future season. Now we can have GGO, Tonki ,Excalibur SS and MR. That should be able to fill out another double cour season.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 08:58   Link #2012
chancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoia View Post
Yes, I do agree with you. The entire SAO series as a whole is great in my opinion because of its enjoyment factor. Hell, SAO was the first light novel series I've ever read and I enjoyed every single arc when I first read it. It was only when I went back to re-read each volume and tried to rank each arc that I began to notice the inherent flaws in each of them. However, I don't believe that these flaws detract from the enjoyment that the entire series has to offer, though some people might disagree.
Even for me SAO has been the first LN series. And the anime is too good. Can watch episodes again and again.

Kamito to the rescue...

can't wait for next
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 14:34   Link #2013
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
They will most likely combine the Tonki story with the Excalibur SS. This also helps fill up a future season as there were some issues with content that fit neatly into a future season. Now we can have GGO, Tonki ,Excalibur SS and MR. That should be able to fill out another double cour season.
Who knows? Perhaps a Second Season's Episode 26 will end with the opening of Alicization, and Kirito getting injected/stabbed by Laughing Coffin's last free member.

Leading to loud outcries for a third season!
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 15:32   Link #2014
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Who knows? Perhaps a Second Season's Episode 26 will end with the opening of Alicization, and Kirito getting injected/stabbed by Laughing Coffin's last free member.

They would never do that since it's counted as spoilers. Possibility is low.
Old 2012-12-10, 06:57   Link #2015
Esebian

Quote:

You know, if they would do this...only-anime fans all over the world would go into rage mode xD

That would be the best and on the same time worst cliffhanger in anime history
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 15:02   Link #2016
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
You know, if they would do this...only-anime fans all over the world would go into rage mode xD

That would be the best and on the same time worst cliffhanger in anime history
On a bright note, that would almost guarantee another season, right?
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 20:49   Link #2017
sky black swordman

^ Yeah, but then again there have been a few anime series that have ended with a cliffhanger and didn't get another season.
However, some of them were not as popular as SAO.
Old 2012-12-10, 21:27   Link #2018
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:

That's crazy. A lot of girls wants to see the Long Haired Jedi and the "Shoujo-Ai" Yuki..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 23:03   Link #2019
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ Yeah, but then again there have been a few anime series that have ended with a cliffhanger and didn't get another season.
However, some of them were not as popular as SAO.
Although there are also some other famous series with a cliffhanger ending. But I'm quite sure if there's a cliffhanger for SAO, it's an introduction for a next season instead of an ending.
Old 2012-12-13, 04:13   Link #2020
AP24

Preview for ep 24 is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkPfdGPcSE

I can see the rage a lot of people will have when they watch this episode. I wonder at which scene this episode will end? I hope the annoying scenes with Sugou will just go fast so that we can see the reunion of Kirito and Asuna in the real world at the end of the episode.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote