AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2017-08-10, 07:23   Link #3121
Ultragunner

Hm...with all these flashback and development for Reiner, are we supposed to sympathise with him?

I will be honest, he seems like a real person, more than Eren at least
Old 2017-08-10, 09:53   Link #3122
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I really liked Annie in this chapter, she didn't seem brainwashed like the other two, which might mean she changed sides during the timeskip.
I found her to be way too OOC in this chapter though. We didn't see anything close to an outburst like that from her, even when the trio lured her into the trap she was very calm.
Best part of this chapter was to feel good about Bertholdt's death again.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 11:03   Link #3123
The Small One

Oh great… another flashback about a part of the story we basically already know.

BTW, how comes that Marcel could be attacked at night? Wasn't it said that Titans can only move at daylight, with Shifters beeing the only exception?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 11:28   Link #3124
Ratedhook522

Come on enough with the flashbacks I want to see what Eren and the others have been up to during these past few years that have gone by. I'm hoping though that was Eren a few chapters ago infiltrating the Marleyans along with those ptsd soldiers. How much does somebody want to bet that the Marleyans kill any Eldian soldiers showing ptsd symptoms since they won't have any more use to them.
Ratedhook522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 13:21   Link #3125
grecefar

Love it when annie kick reiner ass.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 07:14   Link #3126
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

For a long time I've been wondering if the presence of BRA in the same training squad where Eren was was merely a coincidence or if they infiltrated it because they knew he was involved somehow.

Well it appears it was just a coincidence in the end. And coincidentally that was also the very same squad where the heiress of the royal family was, and by extension Ymir, which coincidentally was also the one who ate BRA's companion.

Surely BRA hit the jackpot when they enlisted.

Now I hope the next flashbacks will answer my other questions. For what purpose BRA suddenly decided to launch another attack after so many years?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 12:12   Link #3127
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Now I hope the next flashbacks will answer my other questions. For what purpose BRA suddenly decided to launch another attack after so many years?
Probably because nothing was happening. Let's not forget they were on borrowed time. Five years passed and they were no closer to finding the original titan than when they first infiltrated the walls, so they decided to stir up the hornet's nest once again hoping for a better result this time. And it worked. If it hadn't, they would have probably continued pushing the people inside the wall into a corner until nobody was left.

What I'd like to know is which one among them brought the subject of a second attack to the table. Most likely Reiner.
Old 2017-08-12, 13:10   Link #3128
The Small One

Quote:
Wasn't it Zeke, who launched the next attack?
He probably came to the island, because they didn't get any information for several years.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 09:35   Link #3129
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
I found her to be way too OOC in this chapter though. We didn't see anything close to an outburst like that from her, even when the trio lured her into the trap she was very calm.
Best part of this chapter was to feel good about Bertholdt's death again.
You do realise that this Annie is still a child who just left home to do a crazy, suicide mission that her fucked up government forced on her? Not to mention this is the first time she witnessed a friend being eaten?

While the Annie you know is 3-4 years senior who already got used to new environment and saw tons of death and titans?

Of course she is different! There is nothing OOC, it's called development. It's a flashback, not future/present.
Old 2017-08-13, 13:56   Link #3130
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Probably because nothing was happening. Let's not forget they were on borrowed time. Five years passed and they were no closer to finding the original titan than when they first infiltrated the walls, so they decided to stir up the hornet's nest once again hoping for a better result this time. And it worked. If it hadn't, they would have probably continued pushing the people inside the wall into a corner until nobody was left.

What I'd like to know is which one among them brought the subject of a second attack to the table. Most likely Reiner.
That would make sense if they weren't making any progress, but that was the precise time when they had just "graduated" and they could finally go to the inner walls as the royal guard.
They had spent 5 years for that very objective, and when they had it in reach, they decided they couldn't wait anymore? There has to be another reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Wasn't it Zeke, who launched the next attack?
He probably came to the island, because they didn't get any information for several years.
No, I'm talking about the attack where Eren transformed into a Titan for the first time. Berthold destroyed another gate but Eren was able to close it with a large boulder. If it wasn't for Eren, which as far as we know BRA didn't know about yet, the second wall would have fallen as well.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 14:29   Link #3131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That would make sense if they weren't making any progress, but that was the precise time when they had just "graduated" and they could finally go to the inner walls as the royal guard.
They had spent 5 years for that very objective, and when they had it in reach, they decided they couldn't wait anymore? There has to be another reason...
Maybe they thought it'd be their last chance to further reduce the search area and maybe force a move by the king. If they all went to the capital as royal guards then, they might be too busy. Though it turned out Annie had no problem getting away to go be the Female Titan.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 00:58   Link #3132
Random14

After they finally reached the basement I thought things would move faster. Guess not. Is the manga going to cover every major incident in Reiner's life (like the tower fight)? Ugh, talk about recap, most of this was already described or implied before.

Its not so much that I miss Eren (not like he's a great character), but I do wish things would move along faster. Unless this is all building up to Reiner's death, but still hard to care about him too (with how messed up he is).
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 01:06   Link #3133
grecefar

anyone hoping that annie will wake up soon and turn against the marley?
Old 2017-08-14, 19:24   Link #3134
ReddyRedWolf

*Looks at the last survivor of his village*

Yeah BRA are murderers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
anyone hoping that annie will wake up soon and turn against the marley?
I wouldn't count on it. From the walled islander's perspective Annie is a war criminal not an ally.

Annie going crystal was basically "F*ck this! I'm out!".

Annie may be not as fanatic as either Bert and Reiner but she knows she no longer has a place to call home.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 11:29   Link #3135
kitten320

^What means she could be used.

If they manage to get her out of crystal without eating, I expect a talk to happen. Annie was always reasonable and after equality and freedom. She wouldn't be so hard to convince to join Eren's side provided with good arguments.

Personally I always thought that the reason Isayama kept her alive was to use her in future events. I might be wrong but killing her off just like that after all this time feels lie a waste. Considering she is among Isayama's fave characters.
Old 2017-08-15, 19:59   Link #3136
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^What means she could be used.

If they manage to get her out of crystal without eating, I expect a talk to happen. Annie was always reasonable and after equality and freedom. She wouldn't be so hard to convince to join Eren's side provided with good arguments.

Personally I always thought that the reason Isayama kept her alive was to use her in future events. I might be wrong but killing her off just like that after all this time feels lie a waste. Considering she is among Isayama's fave characters.
You are treating this like shounen where yesterday's enemy is now today's friend.

This is isn't that kind of genre as we've seen in this manga there is no point of return if you've committed crimes against humanity.

Annie wont be forgiven as you think. Annie didn't have the ideals you say as she was out for herself.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-16, 00:40   Link #3137
grecefar

just let her alone with armin for 5 minutes and he can fuck her mind and make her join the party.
Old 2017-08-16, 11:45   Link #3138
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Annie fighting on the side of the heroes despite the crimes she has committed is not that unlikely. She still holds one of the nine titans and the people of Paradis island have no means to take it away from her. No more serum, and Eren or Armin eating her doesn't seem like it would benefit them much. I fully expect them to keep her on a very short leash though.
Old 2017-08-16, 20:53   Link #3139
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Annie fighting on the side of the heroes despite the crimes she has committed is not that unlikely. She still holds one of the nine titans and the people of Paradis island have no means to take it away from her. No more serum, and Eren or Armin eating her doesn't seem like it would benefit them much. I fully expect them to keep her on a very short leash though.
Technically they can now make more serum now that they know that it's actually the spinal chord fluid of the shifters, all they have to do is extract some from Eren and Armin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
You do realise that this Annie is still a child who just left home to do a crazy, suicide mission that her fucked up government forced on her? Not to mention this is the first time she witnessed a friend being eaten?

While the Annie you know is 3-4 years senior who already got used to new environment and saw tons of death and titans?

Of course she is different! There is nothing OOC, it's called development. It's a flashback, not future/present.
Don't forget about Annie's laughing scene when she is revealed as the Female Titan, that scene was supposed to be in the manga but got cut and the anime restored it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
You are treating this like shounen where yesterday's enemy is now today's friend.

This is isn't that kind of genre as we've seen in this manga there is no point of return if you've committed crimes against humanity.

Annie wont be forgiven as you think. Annie didn't have the ideals you say as she was out for herself.
I think you're stereotyping things here a bit, you've clearly never seen One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, and Naruto.

Regarding Annie, keep in mind that this was before infiltrating the walls and actually meeting the main cast and the people of the walls, her selfishness was really because of her father and his words to her before leaving for the island as shown in her flashback before crystallizing so blame that on him (and Marley), or did you completely miss that part? She showed hesitation and remorse with what happened to Marco and during her fight with Eren in the city with the damage she's caused (also keep in mind she was unconscious during the breach of Wall Maria and didn't wake up until the aftermath so she didn't really fully witness the damage that they did)

People here are really demonizing BRA here, while the actions themselves should not be condoned, you are all not understanding WHY this happened, like everyone else they're pretty much brainwashed victims, seriously the guy that said he was glad Bertolt died was really pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
After they finally reached the basement I thought things would move faster. Guess not. Is the manga going to cover every major incident in Reiner's life (like the tower fight)? Ugh, talk about recap, most of this was already described or implied before.

Its not so much that I miss Eren (not like he's a great character), but I do wish things would move along faster. Unless this is all building up to Reiner's death, but still hard to care about him too (with how messed up he is).
It's not exactly a recap if they're showing the thoughts of BRA during the Wall Maria breach which we didn't know prior, plus there was that scene with the Titanified wife of Grisha that completely ignored Bertolt and went inside the walls, further cementing that it was heading straight for any connections to Grisha.

And what's with the Eren comment? If you're talking about his anger issues that's pretty understandable considering what happened when the wall was knocked down, plus his father acted pretty much the exact same way back when Grisha's sister was killed, and that ended coming back to bite Grisha with what he did with Zeke, speaking of which even Eren's half-brother demonstrated that same anger during the fight to retrieve wall Maria when the Survey Corps performed a suicide charge on him. Now that Eren's found out the truth however he seems to be much calmer and has largely grown.

So being shown a kid who was brainwashed and had a delusional mother and a dad who hates him and just saw his friend get eaten and gets repeatedly mocked by his other friends, and clearly shows remorse and regret for what he did, and now wants to protect his cousin from the same fate, translates into not caring? Well that sounds incredibly backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemhotaTech View Post
Does anyone else find reading about these brainwashed hypocritical idiots painful?

These later chapters have been kinda cringy to read.

So, aside from the mentioning of the original nine titans, anything else happened in this chapter?
Oh you mean like how other stories have been doing the same thing? Like the Marines to the World Government from One Piece, the Shinigami to the Seireitei from Bleach, the Alchemists and Amestrisian soldiers to the Homunculi and Government from Full Metal Alchemist, Nerv to Seele from Neon Genesis Evangelion and the Yevonites to the leaders of Yevon from Final Fantasy X. What's so different about this one?

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2017-08-16 at 23:50.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-17, 04:48   Link #3140
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It would require a believeable setup for Annie to change her mind considering her circumstances.
But the biggest issue is... how the scouts would trust her? She is one of the culprits who condamned a large part of the population of Paradis island, and also responsible for the loss of 3/4 of the scouting legion.

Even if she tries to redeem herself, I really doubt even the likes of Hanji would readily trust her, no matter how short they are in term of manpower.