Closed Thread

Old 2016-06-12, 08:17   Link #1
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gunman kills 20, injures 42 in shooting rampage at Florida gay club

Gunman kills 20, injures 42 in shooting rampage at Florida gay club
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fl...-idUSKCN0YY08B

Quote:
"Do we consider this an act of terrorism? Absolutely, we are investigating this from all parties’ perspective as an act of terrorism," said Danny Banks, special agent in charge of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Danny Banks.

"Whether that is domestic terrorist activity or an international one, that is something we will certainly get to the bottom of."
Old 2016-06-12, 09:48   Link #2
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

According to french news the death toll have been upped to 50 dead.

http://lci.tf1.fr/monde/amerique/fus...e-8750627.html
Old 2016-06-12, 09:59   Link #3
MCAL

And this country continues to fall into hell.
Old 2016-06-12, 10:48   Link #4
Psyco Diver

http://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-in...ry?id=39789552

Looks like it could be terrorist related at this point, seems allot of news agency's are tossing out possible connections and there was supposedly a video sent to news stations prior to the attack

Seems awfully similar to the attacks in France last year
Old 2016-06-12, 11:28   Link #5
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Watch Donald Trump feed off of the fear this event has created to further galvanize its supporters to action. The sad thing is that these mass shootings are way to common in America and they won't stop for many years to come.
Old 2016-06-12, 11:41   Link #6
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Watch Donald Trump feed off of the fear this event has created to further galvanize its supporters to action. The sad thing is that these mass shootings are way to common in America and they won't stop for many years to come.
And if it was the other way around Clinton would be feeding off of it, politicians are going to use stuff like this to push their agendas. Also you have the same chance of being struck by lightening as being involved in a mass shooting, they only seem common place because of the media. We currently live in the safest era in this country, yet people think it's the worse because people grasp negative stories than positive stories and the media plays to that for viewership, there have been studies done in this and a actual name for it but I do not recall it (it has been a few years since a graduated college)
Old 2016-06-12, 11:46   Link #7
yulinard

I think terrorist these day know that shooting up people kills more than blowing up people.

Also the crime will be a "Mass Shooting" instead "Terrorism".
Old 2016-06-12, 11:53   Link #8
yulinard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
And if it was the other way around Clinton would be feeding off of it, politicians are going to use stuff like this to push their agendas. Also you have the same chance of being struck by lightening as being involved in a mass shooting, they only seem common place because of the media. We currently live in the safest era in this country, yet people think it's the worse because people grasp negative stories than positive stories and the media plays to that for viewership, there have been studies done in this and a actual name for it but I do not recall it (it has been a few years since a graduated college)
So far as I read the most common gun death in America is a white dude blow his own head over a divorce settlement. Then white dude blow up his own head or another dude head thinking there's no ammo in the chamber. Then Black dude shooting another black dude over who have the right to sell crack there.
Old 2016-06-12, 12:38   Link #9
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

What a tragedy. And this was after singer Christina Grimmie was killed by a deranged fan yesterday.

According to this, the father of said shooter suspected his son's attack was a hate crime as months earlier, his son got angry after seeing two gay men kissing in Florida.
Old 2016-06-12, 13:37   Link #10
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
"Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. Those figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted."

Source

If that is what you call safe then, I don't want to know what you deem un-safe. Gun control laws are a fucking joke in the U.S. Considering that a massacre of elementary school children wasn't enough to get anything done about them, they are gonna remain a fucking joke.
Old 2016-06-12, 13:49   Link #11
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
From what I'm seeing on (extremely biased, granted) TV, it seems to be 50 dead and 53 injured, being called a Hate crime, and the gunman and the gun were both on the Watch List. Also, all flags over federal buildings have been ordered to be at half-staff.

... and yet I find it funny that my local news channel is just running a red banner about the incident, but otherwise not even mentioning it. But I suppose that's how local news works.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2016-06-12, 15:37   Link #12
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I wonder if this was an act of terrorism from a religious fanatic or a hate crime against gay people. From what I gather, the shooter wasn't religious/very involved in religion, and as someone posted in this thread, it seems like the gunman was discriminatory towards gays.

However, I read somewhere that he was on an FBI watch list because he may have been an ISIS sympathizer.

But man, what terrible news. So many innocent people killed and injured.
Old 2016-06-12, 15:39   Link #13
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
The world just seems to spiral out of control. My heart goes out to everyone back east.
Old 2016-06-12, 15:41   Link #14
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I wonder if this was an act of terrorism from a religious fanatic or a hate crime against gay people. From what I gather, the shooter wasn't religious/very involved in religion, and as someone posted in this thread, it seems like the gunman was discriminatory towards gays.

However, I read somewhere that he was on an FBI watch list because he may have been an ISIS sympathizer.

But man, what terrible news. So many innocent people killed and injured.
he called the police and swore allegiance to ISIS.
Old 2016-06-12, 15:41   Link #15
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Just a short note here ... this could easily spin off into volatile and inflammatory cyclical arguments and the like. Lets keep things under control, okay?

If folks here cant discuss things in a levelheaded way it might become necessary to close the thread.
Old 2016-06-12, 15:47   Link #16
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post

Ah. What a scumbag. (Of course, he'd be a total scumbag either way).
Old 2016-06-12, 15:50   Link #17
Psyco Diver

People think ISIS is a joke, we literally have a sect of a religion that numbers in the hundreds of thousands if not millions that has sworn all out war against us and our allies. We as a country and any other western country's need to start taking this more serious, look at what happened at France last year, they are fighting and unconventional war and the government blows it off as "just" a terrorist attack
Old 2016-06-12, 15:51   Link #18
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
https://www.yahoo.com/news/know-omar...000000893.html
Old 2016-06-12, 16:26   Link #19
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Another bloody wanker like the rest of them.

Quote:
People think ISIS is a joke, we literally have a sect of a religion that numbers in the hundreds of thousands if not millions that has sworn all out war against us and our allies. We as a country and any other western country's need to start taking this more serious, look at what happened at France last year, they are fighting and unconventional war and the government blows it off as "just" a terrorist attack
This is where I wonder when Western governments will finally accept that creating/recognizing units of ISIS hunters would be as much of a good thing as when Nazi hunters were created. Such units should also be given a blank check while we're at it.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2016-06-12 at 16:41.
Old 2016-06-12, 16:41   Link #20
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I will take this with a grain of salt, anyone can claim to be part of some organisation without being part of it, just to inflate his own importance or to get more attention.
Of course, ISIS will be more than happy to claim credit for the attack whenever it be from a sympathisant or a full member, a fully planified attack or somebody just wanted to kill as much civilians as possible.