AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-12-03, 08:16   Link #221
Lex79

I really like the fact the show didn't go with the easy route of portraying all Lugh's targets as vile monsters but instead in this case showed their human and good side. It makes the decision to kill or not to kill much more difficult and so more interesting, and in turn it makes me appreciate even more the fact that Lugh has the courage and determination to make the decision and accept the consequences.
I wasn't expecting a mention of Lugh visiting brothels but since it has been established that he has some urges that's a practical way to deal with them. I hope this means that later he will get physical with the heroines too.
Speaking of heroines, the talk with Maha gave me strong true harem vibes.
Old 2021-12-03, 10:23   Link #222
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
You guys are way overthinking this.

Much like with the trauma not being depicted last episode, they omitted it because it would clash against the thematic intent of the story. The whole point of this mission was to show Lugh's character development, now being capable of feeling sympathy for his victims. If the show had gone out and shown the guy actually doing evil stuff, his death could be cathartic (fuck yes, less evil in the world) and the sympathy part would fall flat. (Not just for the guy himself - the woman whose husband died grew rich off blood money, a point viewers should not be thinking about when the guy gets his just deserts is mercilessly assassinated.) It should show only enough to justify Lugh's decision to assassinate (making him a good guy despite murdering people for a living), while avoiding disdain for the actual culprit. Considering nobody went 'fuck yeah' when the guy got shot (remember those crippled soldiers earlier in the episode? That's all his fault, and he did it purely for personal gain) I'd say they succeeded and it was the right choice to approach it like this.
I wouldn't put this on the same level as the last episode's opening scene at all. This's just something that made me think "what if..." and speculate that investigation could have turned up something different than what we expected, though indeed it is also very interesting and even realistic to show a scenario where the scum who's creating a drug epidemic seems like a nice guy. The previous one was immersion-breaking for me as it didn't just not dwell on things that might "clash" with the theme, it deliberately made the characters behave in a way that feels unnatural given their past. Even those claims of "well detectives and sidekicks see dead bodies all the time but we don't deal with them getting traumatized with a new one" doesn't hold water specifically because we DON'T see them ever traumatized, whereas here we saw that they went through years of hell so horrific that one of them became dead inside and another ripped up her own face to try and avoid any more of it. You open that box and it doesn't close so easily, so showing the very next episode said "box" looking like it'd never been opened in the first place is jarring; doesn't matter if the box is a minor part that's only important in the one scene, as it's central to that scene and that's enough. It's like you have an episode dedicated to how a painting was shredded and all the trouble caused by the loss of such a priceless work of art, only for the next episode to spend several minutes looking over that same painting and showing off how it doesn't have even a scratch on it. This time, is nothing like that at all, it's just a "I thought the butler did it" sort of thing and a bit of fun speculation of "what would it have been like if the butler DID do it".

This time, the only real problem I have is the way he was dispatched. Up to now the assassination methods have been very carefully thought out, often designed to look like natural deaths, accidental resulting from their personal indulgences or a falling-out with their associates. This time? A plain, brutal, unsubtle bullet through the brain. No way to disguise this as anything but an assassination. Of course, all that said the previous ones were the work of his father, so really it's just a demonstration of difference in their MO. I'll miss the old way though, I liked the finesse it took to stage each target's death just right.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2021-12-03 at 10:33.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-03, 10:26   Link #223
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
This time, the only real problem I have is the way he was dispatched. Up to now the assassination methods have been very carefully thought out, often designed to look like natural deaths, accidental resulting from their personal indulgences or a falling-out with their associates. This time? A plain, brutal, unsubtle bullet through the brain. No way to disguise this as anything but an assassination. Of course, all that said the previous ones were the work of his father, so really it's just a demonstration of difference in their MO. I'll miss the old way though, I liked the finesse it took to stage each target's death just right.
Lugh probably has the only sniper rifle in existence in the setting (and the only gun?) so it would be hard to track it back to him. I guess making it a public assassination sends a message, especially if in investigating his death they see what he was really up to behind closed doors.
Old 2021-12-03, 10:37   Link #224
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, it's fine, I just kind of miss the previous method. There's definitely a message being sent, regardless of whether guns exist or not, but I kind of enjoy the difficulty of infiltrating a well-defended manor house, causing a "natural" death and sneaking back out without leaving any evidence of having been there in the first place. I still enjoy the series plenty and don't see it as a "problem" like the previous one; as I said, he's not his father so it's natural he'd have his own MO. It's sort of like how Home Alone was all about elaborate traps and colorful tricks, then the first "home trap" we get in Home Alone 2 is Marv getting his head smashed in by a brick. Fourt times in a row. It's still awesome, it's just... different.
Old 2021-12-03, 11:02   Link #225
Lex79

This might be due to the specific circumstances of this target, a mysterious accident happening shortly after he met Lugh and Maha would inevitably raise some suspicions towards them, plus Lugh mentioned the target being harder to kill due to being proficient in magic so maybe it was simply easier to shoot him. Then again, in the first episodes we saw Lugh with the sniper rifle so I suspect this is his preferred way to do his job.
Old 2021-12-03, 11:10   Link #226
Frontier

It's like a Hitman game we're watching a playthrough of .
Old 2021-12-03, 11:22   Link #227
Lex79

The only negative is that now that things are getting (more) interesting the season will end. I'll have to check the LN.
Old 2021-12-03, 11:42   Link #228
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The last 3 eps should be one consecutive arc from vol. 1.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 11:03   Link #229
Frontier

So Lugh and Tarte have been spending time together on an uninhabited island, practicing their magic away from prying eyes, and Tarte's been wearing a bikini...and then Maha also shows up in a bikini. Lugh you lucky dog .

It seems like they have may have found the Hero, and he's after a sacred weapon...wait, Gae Bolg? That haircut...is the Hero Lancer ?

Another twist is the possible Hero is currently embroiled in a civil war with the kingdom where Dia's family lives, so now Lugh has a personal investment in this .

Of course Lugh wastes no time going to Dia to make sure she's safe, but she's resigned herself as the daughter of Count Viekone to remain with her people to make sure they're safe, and because she cares about the well-being of her kingdom and those who live in it. But that doesn't mean she won't find an excuse for Lugh to take her out on a date .

Brunette Dia! And that dress! She looked amazing .

I love how they had a shooting game with a bow and arrow and Dia was such a stickler that Lugh not cheat with his magic or assassin skills. And then Lugh teaches Dia how to shoot a bow and arrow, which felt oddly intimate and romantic, as well as sweet when he helped her get a bear .

Lugh cooks, he's handsome, and he's good with kids! No wonder the ladies love him .

The Goddess is now reincarnating teachers to try and stop the Hero, and doing a sexy teacher cosplay to boot. Although even she seems like she's starting to get bored of this or knows it's not going to work, and she keeps searching for the perfect candidate to deal with the Hero...is the "Divine Presence" this worlds' equivalent of God, whom she answers to ?

Look at Dia reserving a Hot Springs just for the two of them, and has no qualms stripping in front of Lugh or him seeing her naked (although her hair covered some of her backside while she was dressing down). And Lugh says it's because of his immature body that he gets hot for Dia naked, but we know better .

It was nice to see Lugh and Dia genuinely having fun together in the bath, and they even kiss! Did they have sex, too? I mean, they seemed pretty close while naked during that romantic sequence .

Woah, so Viekone's become militarized and all the civilians were armed guards the whole time? Does that mean things were more serious than Dia let on? And Lugh was completely unaware of it, because of his feelings for Dia ?

And what's going on that now Dia is an assassination target? Was House Viekone one of the corrupt nobles Dia was talking about and now Dia has to bear the brunt of her family's crimes? Has she become the nominal head of the family and had to shoulder the burden of some kind of evil? We know Lugh doesn't end up assassinating her and she joins the team, and I don't think Lugh could kill her, so does he fake her death or something? What's going on ?
Old 2021-12-08, 12:27   Link #230
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Of course, there's no way this's actually going to happen. It's just a setup for Dia to be "rescued" from a cruel fate. At the most he'll make it look like he killed her then take her away.

On a different note, the CG remains very jarring. They need better CG animators. Hopefully when the Blu-rays come out they'll replace at least some of it with hand-drawn animation.
Old 2021-12-08, 12:47   Link #231
Marina2

Well, beside the first episode, ep.2-3 hinted that Dia family and Lugh Family has close relationship. I doubt Lugh's dad will actually ask him to kill Dia.

Especially, if you considering which family his mom might come from.

Dia looks cool with her army under her command.

This ep. also have *uncensored* version, BTW.
Old 2021-12-08, 13:50   Link #232
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Of course, there's no way this's actually going to happen. It's just a setup for Dia to be "rescued" from a cruel fate. At the most he'll make it look like he killed her then take her away.
How is taking an assassination target in going to go over with dear old dad though? Dia kind of sucks though so I wouldn't mind if she takes a bullet either, but I agree that its not likely.

Lugh's observing skill is E rank at best. This guy has serious issues with trusting the wrong people.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 14:54   Link #233
Frontier

I'm wondering now if Dia's been using what Lugh's taught her to help her family win the civil war, and that's drawing the attention of the Tuatha De.
Old 2021-12-08, 15:23   Link #234
Lex79

Curious to see how this arc will be handled. So far my speculation is, as others mentioned, that Dia is taking responsibility for something her family did and Lugh will give her a fake identity and pretend to assassinate her.
Old 2021-12-08, 16:17   Link #235
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
How is taking an assassination target in going to go over with dear old dad though? Dia kind of sucks though so I wouldn't mind if she takes a bullet either, but I agree that its not likely.
The mission, itself, probably isn't going to kill Dia. Fake her death and have her disappear, that's all. Maybe kidnap her against her will to do it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 16:29   Link #236
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The mission, itself, probably isn't going to kill Dia. Fake her death and have her disappear, that's all. Maybe kidnap her against her will to do it.
...but she's on the assassination squad from episode 1; she can't exactly stray too far from Lugh. I'd imagine its going to come down to being overthrown/exiled and leaving it at that. She'll just be a commoner sharing concubine status with Tarte and Maha going forward.
Old 2021-12-08, 18:22   Link #237
Frontier

Quote:
...but she's on the assassination squad from episode 1; she can't exactly stray too far from Lugh. I'd imagine its going to come down to being overthrown/exiled and leaving it at that. She'll just be a commoner sharing concubine status with Tarte and Maha going forward.
I guess that's the one way to keep the Harem on equal footing even though Lugh wanted her as 1st wife .
Old 2021-12-08, 19:16   Link #238
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
This ep. also have *uncensored* version, BTW.
What differences are there between the two versions?
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 19:24   Link #239
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
What differences are there between the two versions?
Titties. Other than the nipples its the same.
Old 2021-12-08, 19:57   Link #240
Frontier

Quote:
Titties. Other than the nipples its the same.
I was kind of expecting fora sec that it got more explicit that Lugh and Dia did it, but okay .