Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-08, 00:12   Link #121
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Hahaha that would be a really fun quality to her powers if she can somehow infuse herself with the phantoms with her body. Thus creating special armors of her to do battle with them!

I'm thinking it's more of the form that she's making to channel the elemental powers more than her organs having a specific element. Although
Spoiler for Powers:

But we may never know until maybe a little halfway into the show.

And yes, I have failed to mention about Ichijou's magical sketchbook powers! Kinda reminds me of traditional RPGs where you have the ability to scan your enemies weaknesses and HP. Very interesting power. I hope Ruru can mix it up too and get involved in the battles somehow. Don't want her to become a "Navi" type of character, always saying "HEY! LISTEN!". But she has not done that...yet.
Regardless of the Kirby jokes, I tend to agree. While 'sealing' them is fine, it would be a cool addition. Give them a kind of flexible ability user who can contribute in different ways after eating up the enemies. Probably won't happen, but it'd be cool.

Hmm well who knows. Though Mai did seem to say in the episode that she was summoning the water phase from her kidneys and the metal phase from her lungs.

The sketchbook kind of reminded me of a variant on the whole "a camera will steal your soul." He's capturing their image on the page and then literally absorbing them. But that comparison works too. Let's them calmly examine the enemy and figure it out. I do wonder if it goes in the other direction. He draws something and it literally creates that phantom.

Curious to see where Ruru's character goes. Hopefully she can contribute more than just in the comedic sense.
Old 2016-01-08, 02:17   Link #122
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

"there is something strange, in the neighborhood, PHANTOM BUSTERS!!"

i' d like to see the behind the scenes reel of the KyoAni staff trying the figure out on how boobs are supposed to bounce in real life, complete with the mathematics calculation sheet, for the science of physics in an ecchi scene!!
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 02:33   Link #123
R.LocK
My turn

Invoking powers of water by massaging her kidneys.
Invoking powers of metal by stimulating her breasts.
>.>
<.<
>.<

I'm dying. I'm sticking with the series, though.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 02:38   Link #124
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I haven't seen the show but there's lot of fanart of the Limbo scene.
Old 2016-01-08, 03:16   Link #125
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
To people skeptical about Mai's invocation of elements, I'd suggest checking out this page.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 03:25   Link #126
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
To people skeptical about Mai's invocation of elements, I'd suggest checking out this page.
That's actually really helpful (to me anyways ). So far both her channeling was on the yin 'organs'. I guess it does make me wonder if she can or will channel the yang at some point. Either way it does help explain where the basis for her invocation of the elements is coming from.
Old 2016-01-08, 04:43   Link #127
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Nice! Good looking out for info on Mai's powers! Very interesting!!
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 05:04   Link #128
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Some anon on /a/ also said that the movements made by Mai were spot on for a practitioner of Tai Chi.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 05:16   Link #129
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Some anon on /a/ also said that the movements made by Mai were spot on for a practitioner of Tai Chi.
Yes I was going to comment on that theory that her techniques to summon up her elemental powers looks to be inspired by tai chi movements. Either way, its an interesting way to bring up Mai's powers to use in battles against the phantoms.
Old 2016-01-08, 07:23   Link #130
Hakai

To gain the power of metal by rubbing the softest things in the universe...so deep

Wy people calling it generic
Old 2016-01-08, 07:28   Link #131
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
It's hardly deep, it's simply Asian (Chinese mainly) theory of elements and medicine. On one hand, you have the western theory, inherited from Greeks, Romans and Alchemy, where elements are components of the world and universe. Its also commonly seen in RPGs and stories. Otoh, you have the Chinese Wu Xing that sees elements as part of a cycle of transformation, creation, decay and rebirth. As for the part of the elements related to organs, the closest western equivalent is the Humorism (that played a big part in antiquity and Middle Ages).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 07:29   Link #132
Hakai

It was a joke...
Old 2016-01-08, 07:58   Link #133
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Quite fascinating.

Thanks for that. It's nice to know there is some actual context to some of that. That said, I still doubt KyoAni didn't do it partly for fanservice. Considering that isn't the focus of the show (nor is it yet to be part of Mai's established character) the probably could have gone with almost anything else and it would lead to less misunderstanding. It doesn't help that not only is the origins of Mai's sensual movements fairly obscure, but how she been marketed from promos to the actual show has regulated her to "Ms Fanservice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Carrot View Post
To gain the power of metal by rubbing the softest things in the universe...so deep

Wy people calling it generic
I'm pretty sure that would not be why people would call this generic and to play a bit of Devil's Advocate; references to spiritual and religious meanings/customs are often very superficial in visual mediums like anime unless their key part of the show's story and/or lore (see: Mononke etc). Otherwise they're usually done because they sound cool and thus normally not worth thinking to deeply about. So this doesn't necessary mean that show is actually deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
As an aside, has there ever been an anime where the high-school students wear those sorts of highly-impractical haute-couture uniforms but go to a conventional three-storey concrete high school rather than a middle-European fantasy palace with sweeping staircases and vaulted-ceiling dining halls? Alternatively is there any anime set in a gilded-palace type school where everyone wears regular non-uniform clothing and generally slobs around?
I dunno, but would love to watch them if they were, if only for the sheer juxtapositional imagery.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2016-01-08 at 08:14.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 08:09   Link #134
Blueknight78

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Yes I was going to comment on that theory that her techniques to summon up her elemental powers looks to be inspired by tai chi movements. Either way, its an interesting way to bring up Mai's powers to use in battles against the phantoms.
and her battle technique is full wu-shu aka "chunli"(for peoples which know SF) inspired, many of her moves are the same as chunli.
Old 2016-01-08, 09:18   Link #135
EroKing

NSFW
Some slightly NSFW
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-26 at 11:29.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 09:49   Link #136
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Well except for the breast rubbing. XP

I was really impressed by the level of detail in the animation in those scenes. I could tell the animator really did their research there when Mai entered that Zhan Zhuang stance. I was similarly impressed by the animation when the other girl flipped the mc.

Such a shame that such great animation is wasted on this...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-08, 10:28   Link #137
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Quote:
That's really interesting. These are more than fanserice scenes, after all!
Old 2016-01-08, 14:31   Link #138
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

I really don't know what to make of this show. It hasn't really grabbed me like last year's Sound! Euphonium did. It doesn't really feel as funny as Amagi Brilliant Park. And even though Tai Chi Tits' moves show that the animators did their homework, the fanservice is going to get obnoxious fast. The only good things I can think of to say about this show is 1) Hayami Saori; but I'm more looking forward to hearing her when Akagami no Shirayuki-hime picks up again this season. 2) It features Kyoto Animation's usual polish and attention to detail, but a show's prettiness doesn't matter much when I can't find a reason to stay to admire it.

I might give this show another episode or two to grow on me, but first impressions are telling me that it's looking like a show whose appeal I'm not going to get until a year or two has gone by ... as was the case for Kyoukai no Kanata or Nichijou.
Old 2016-01-08, 17:12   Link #139
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
and her battle technique is full wu-shu aka "chunli"(for peoples which know SF) inspired, many of her moves are the same as chunli.
I kinda had a feeling that her fighting techniques were related to some form of martial arts.
Old 2016-01-08, 23:32   Link #140
Psyco Diver

At least this show knows what it is and isn't pulling any punches about it lol
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, special powers