Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-13, 10:39   Link #1
Hera

How to politely refuse to meet someone?

Hi,
Here's my situation, hope you can give me some suggestions: A friend whom I met online is going to travel to the city I live in, and she wants to meet me. I think she's a good person, but for some reasons I don't want to meet her. How to politely refuse, without making it sound like I'm not interested in meeting her?
Old 2010-01-13, 11:03   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

You could say that you're very nervous/awkward when dealing with people face-to-face and that you're worried that could negatively affect the friendship. Even if that's not actually the case I think it'd be fairly effective as it at least seems honest, places the "problem" with you rather than her, and would make it more difficult for her to push the issue since it'd risk making you feel more uncomfortable. It could get pretty awkward if she does push it though.

Depending on the length of her stay you could also just happen to be "busy" or "out of town" yourself for the duration, though I assume you've already ruled something as simple as this out before needing to ask here.
Old 2010-01-13, 13:53   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Bladewing pretty much summed it up. with the first sentence of his post.

However, you don't say whether you two have exchanged photos, videos, social network, or webcam chatted. That makes a difference.
Old 2010-01-13, 14:20   Link #4
Hera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
However, you don't say whether you two have exchanged photos, videos, social network, or webcam chatted. That makes a difference.
She saw my photos. What difference would it make?
Old 2010-01-13, 14:50   Link #5
Irkalla
I asked for this

I find it really rude of you that you don't want to meet her. If you have a clear conscious, I see not reason why you can't just go and meet the poor girl. Can you share the reason, so we may help you get over your anxiousness or whatever reason you may have?
Old 2010-01-13, 14:59   Link #6
Maya-chan

If the city where you live in is big, there are some ways to avoid her. For example, if the place she'll be staying is too far from your house and in an area that's hard to reach, you tell her that it's impossible to go meet her.

Another way would be to explain to her that you have a policy of not meeting any of your online friends in real life. There are plenty of good reasons for that and it would get the message through without offending her.
Old 2010-01-13, 15:05   Link #7
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Why don't you want to meet her?

And you can just say you are busy with work or something. If they can't accept that and keep pushing then all the more reason not to meet them. Just be straight and tell them you can't, you won't be lying - you can't because you don't want to. heh.
Old 2010-01-13, 15:35   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
She saw my photos. What difference would it make?
Makes a huge difference, especially if either of you have misrepresented yourselves. We're having to make a lot of assumptions about how well ya'll have corresponded to determine what to say.
Old 2010-01-13, 17:31   Link #9
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Dude, just see her. What can go wrong?

But if you really don't want to see her, then you can do as Bladewing said. But tbh, I don't see a reason not to meet her. We'd need to know why you really don't want to see her iibh.
Old 2010-01-13, 22:27   Link #10
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Makes a huge difference, especially if either of you have misrepresented yourselves. We're having to make a lot of assumptions about how well ya'll have corresponded to determine what to say.
Y'all? <_<

I suppose you could always feign being out of town. As long as she doesn't know where you live you don't pose any risk of being discovered. "Grandma is in a hospital and I have to go make sure she's alright." "Turns out she was fine. False alarm."
Old 2010-01-13, 22:38   Link #11
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
Any reason as why you want to avoid her?
If you really don't want to meet her than follow Bladewing's advice. Although, I don't really see the harm of meeting someone.

"All is lost."
Old 2010-01-13, 23:47   Link #12
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Y'all? <_<

I suppose you could always feign being out of town. As long as she doesn't know where you live you don't pose any risk of being discovered. "Grandma is in a hospital and I have to go make sure she's alright." "Turns out she was fine. False alarm."
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that lying?

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
Old 2010-01-14, 01:05   Link #13
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Lie, lie like your life depended on it.
Old 2010-01-14, 01:24   Link #14
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that lying?
He should tell her to that first, then proceed to make plans for these days. The best lies are the ones that are almost true.
Old 2010-01-14, 03:25   Link #15
Crontica

If you don't want to meet her because something seems off, then by all means call it off. Nothing sucks more than ignoring your instincts.
Old 2010-01-14, 05:07   Link #16
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
Hi,
Here's my situation, hope you can give me some suggestions: A friend whom I met online is going to travel to the city I live in, and she wants to meet me. I think she's a good person, but for some reasons I don't want to meet her. How to politely refuse, without making it sound like I'm not interested in meeting her?

I'm not liking the omission here and you asking us for advice when we don't quite know what exactly the situation is here.

A "friend".
How good a friend? Just an online acquaintance?
A friend who you've spent a good few hours a week chatting to? Someone who knows quite a lot about your hobbies, daily habits, family, likes, dislikes?
A "friend" in the sense that she has a crush on you, wants to know you more but you don't feel the same and meeting (in your opinion) would make it worse?

And 'for certain reasons'?
Will any of those 'reasons' basically expose you for some lie that you've told her, should she see you in person?
Or, you totally have no confidence in yourself to meet up and are afraid?

Depending on the kind of 'friend' she is to you and whatever the reason is, there are a few ways to go about it.
If you think she is genuine and mature, tell her the damn truth but without any attitude. I'm sure you'll pepper your sentences with:

'I'm sorry to have to disappoint you, but I can't meet you this time around, even though you're coming here.'
She'll ask 'why', and you'd need to tell the truth or a 'lie' that demeans yourself,
"I'm afraid to meet you and although we've been talking for a while, I don't have the courage to meet someone from the internet just yet. I hope you can understand...'
And so on.

You say that you don't want it to sound like you're not interested in meeting her, but you aren't interested in meeting her.
Least this time around, correct?

Not saying lying is the way to go though, I think I had to reject someone as well who came to my city, I told them I don't know them well enough online to feel comfortable to meet them in person.
*shrugs*
Truth was that I didn't wanna meet them, but that reason I gave them was true, I wasn't lying.

But yeah, being polite is just being polite.
As long as you're not insulting her intelligence and she's a fairly level headed person, yeah she'll probably be disappointed, (hurt if she is truly into you), but if you're contrite, then overall things will be okay.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2010-01-14, 06:02   Link #17
Nostalgia
We're so far gone

Send a message via Yahoo to Nostalgia
I've seen too many movies and think this is going to turn out badly. :| But please let us know how it goes.

Just be cool about it. You could lie; fake being sick, no one wants to leave their house when ill or go out of town for a bit. Or you know, you could just be honest with her. Honesty's the best policy. (I am lame, I know.)
Old 2010-01-14, 09:39   Link #18
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You sent her your photos?

When you want to meet someone you don't know online, always go through the social networking first before RL. Though there is no harm to expand your nuts and go meet her,I would suggest you drag a female friend/relative/kin around your age along since she is a female. Quoting someone I know, "it is a benefit because you are guarded against the worst thing : blackmail, and you might gain the best thing a guy ever dream of."

Unless you can guarantee that the people are almost the same kind as you are (I met a couple of people here in AS IRL already), never rush meetings with people online. Having your photos means that she can blackmail you anytime, so you might want to plan for the worst case scenario.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-14, 09:48   Link #19
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Though there is no harm to expand your nuts and go meet her,I would suggest you drag a female friend/relative/kin around your age along since she is a female. Quoting someone I know, "it is a benefit because you are guarded against the worst thing : blackmail, and you might gain the best thing a guy ever dream of."
Look at the "About Me" section of the OP's profile.
Old 2010-01-14, 09:52   Link #20
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In the first place, if you're willing enough to lie or make up an excuse not to meet a "friend" rather than being honest about it, and desperately so, then you were never the person's "friend" to begin with.

Personally it would be best if you found out why in the world you wouldn't want to meet someone you considered a friend and posted it, so people could give more constructive advice.
Closed Thread