Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-17, 14:24   Link #81
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
I dont think there was any mention about Buggy wanting to attack Whitebeard, what we have seen marks that Buggy fears Whitebeard more than anything on this world, he is totally intimitaded by him. When Ace falled sleep on Buggys ship back then he even ordered his crew to not harm Ace in anyway because Whitebeards retaliation.

I just got that impression because when he saw Croc sneak up behind him, he was all, "Hey, that bastard's trying to hog Whitebeard all for himself!" Plus, remember that some chapters back we saw that Buggy actually DID consider killing Whitebeard to raise his reputation, so......
Old 2009-09-17, 14:31   Link #82
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I just got that impression because when he saw Croc sneak up behind him, he was all, "Hey, that bastard's trying to hog Whitebeard all for himself!" Plus, remember that some chapters back we saw that Buggy actually DID consider killing Whitebeard to raise his reputation, so......
Well Buggy is having an ego-trip, his prisoner-lackeys believe he is somekind of god or messiah atleast capable on anything.

And Buggy...well Buggy is what he is and is taking all praise bit too seriosly, he has very high image of himself but its been boasting and bragging. Now Whitebeard is there in flesh and with his full might and words alone dont carry you here...

Buggy can daydream of overcoming Whitebeard but in truth he is terrified of Whitebeard and knows what WB is capable.

Yeah I believe Buggy can snack his share of glory in this war and regain some very good status too but I dont think he has one chance in million against someone of Whitebeards level...
Old 2009-09-17, 14:37   Link #83
Big Daddy

Quote:
in the translation i read he didn't say that.
he said

"That bastards trying to hog it all for himself"
Old 2009-09-17, 15:00   Link #84
marvelB

^It's pretty much the same thing. It all boils down to Buggy wanting to take credit for snuffing out Whitebeard. Of course, we all know that he's nowhere NEAR capable of taking out the king of the sea (he's even aware of this himself), but I still found it amusing that he got angry at Crocodile for trying to sneak-attack Newgate anyway (and it's not like he won't gain a lot of infamy after all the dust clears, anyway).....
Old 2009-09-17, 15:05   Link #85
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Technically, since Haki is ones ambition, Luffy showed quite a bit of Haki in this chapter (He kind of had to, what with speaking to Whitebeard as if they were equal)....
James: What anime is that character in your avatar from? The one whom you're always putting in your av. I'm getting irked not knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
^Yes james: that may count.
But the manifestation of haki as something else, or in this case in Luffy's fighting style, hasn't been shown yet.
We've already been shown how Shanks, Sentoumaru and Dark King performed using their haki...
But for Luffy we'll need to be patient and wait for a few more chapters.
We've, as yet, no confirmation of Sentoumaru's prowess being linked to any use of Haki. Not only that, but as things are now, it seems like Oda is interested in having Whitebeard go on without the any showing of his at all. Maybe he isn't even a proficient user like Shanks or Rayleigh at all.

Quote:
Hyeaa time for Doflamingo vs. Buggy is getting closer...
I'm not sure what makes you think this is going to happen...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-09-17, 15:22   Link #86
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I'm not sure what makes you think this is going to happen...
it's the perfect match up for buggy. the fact that D can cut up Oz Jr like he did won't work on buggy as he does that already with his ability. i'm looking forward to that one as well. though i can't see who is going up against Akinue(can't spell) his ability is a tough one to go up against.

i love the conversation at the end between Luffy and WB. WB telling him not to get in his way pipsqueek. love that line.
Old 2009-09-17, 15:34   Link #87
longnose-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Not only that, but as things are now, it seems like Oda is interested in having Whitebeard go on without the any showing of his at all. Maybe he isn't even a proficient user like Shanks or Rayleigh at all.
He was able to attack ace even though he is a logia during the flash back of ace joining Whitebeard
Old 2009-09-17, 15:47   Link #88
ShadowKiko

Haki

Well pretty interesting...

Now the real fight can begin...

Well back on chapter 544 Luffy punched Teach and then Teach said that Luffy's is stronger than he thought and that luffy's haki has improved as well so i think we will see Luffy displaying some Haki somehow on this war...
Otherwise how can he even compete with all those powers there?
There are a few Logia type fighters too so unless Luffy came out with something new... He will not be much of a challenge to anyone...

Also... I think Hancock may change sides and help Luffy... it would make sence...
Old 2009-09-17, 16:02   Link #89
Rainbowman

Quote:
As for Brook's ministory, it looks like some dudes from the long-arm tribe have kidnapped that female devil worshipper whom Brook had asked to show him her panties before. Heh, so I guess that Namakura island may be Scratchmen Apoo's homeland, after all.......
So what's his cover story called might I ask?
Old 2009-09-17, 16:03   Link #90
Prestige

Yeah I think that Hancock is switching to same side with Luffy...

and I guess that Hancock is more than happy to attack against World Goverment and Marines.

But I am bit worried here tbh, it looks like that momentum is favoring pirates at this moment but admirals are not a bit worried, I guess they have some kind of pullet-broof plan.

MarvelB mentioned platoon of Pacifistas and I am agreeing that is most realistic imminent threat that can turn the tides. Vegapunk might have something nasty on his sleeve for this war.

Sengoku has not shown his claws either, I am sure he has some sort of ability but we will see what kind power the Fleet-admiral has in his disposal...
Old 2009-09-17, 16:11   Link #91
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

in the cahpter the den den mushi that was on the ship with luffy did say something about a battle formation or strategy.
Old 2009-09-17, 16:22   Link #92
Vree

Two things that have been bothering me. First no matter how big a battle is, you do not have the right to call it a "war". especially if you are gonna cramp a bunch of people in the same place. A war is fought on different fronts at the same time with nation-sized number of participants. Anyway, so far a big fat nothing has happened. It's as if everyone was stuck in a turn-based RPG, waiting for the people before them to finish their turn.

Second, complimenting your enemy is NOT something that you should do every two pages. In a weaksauce story you have a secondary character talk about how great the main character is. If it's a good story then you show it, have the hero prove it themselves. I don't want all of these arch-villains impressed by some kid right off the bat, I want them to grudgingly admit it some 100 pages later, to see have it forced out of them. Where is their experience and ambition? If you gonna just drop your jaw that easily, what does that say about you? I want a character who's like "Whatever...Saw this being done a million times and it wasn't in my top ten to begin with". You know?
Old 2009-09-17, 16:43   Link #93
james0246

^While I understand your complaint, I have to say it is a little...short-sighted. Besides the fact that this is a general par-for-the-course moment in a Shounen series, Oda, realizing the same problem you have addressed, delibrately created a situation where all of the participants would have to focus on and comment on Luffy - Luffy falling from the sky on a galleon right next to Whitebeard, and not to far from the execution platform. Quite honestly, it would be impossible for the characters not to comment on this change in the current situation.

Now, the complaint of whether Luffy should have come in this way at all, is a valid complaint, but we cannot judge the full merit of such a criticism until future chapters have been released.

That being said, I do agree that this chapter is a little boring. I would have liked more meat, especially if there will be another break in a week or so.
Old 2009-09-17, 16:45   Link #94
ShadowKiko

Its not like they've seen it happen times and times again...

As far as we know never a rookie managed to create such a mess as luffy...

Enies Lobby, Beating up two Warlords, Punching a Tenryuubito and now Impel Down... this is something they dont see every day so its normal that they talk about Luffy... but its not like they droped their jaw... They obviously dont fear him... They just want a piece of him...
Old 2009-09-17, 16:54   Link #95
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Yeah I think that Hancock is switching to same side with Luffy...

and I guess that Hancock is more than happy to attack against World Goverment and Marines.

Problem is, if she openly opposes the government like Jinbei just did this chapter, she can kiss Amazon Lily goodbye. Elder Nyon already warned her that her position is what keeps the marines from having a Buster Call nuke the island to oblivion. I really don't think that she wants to be responsible for the deaths of the Kuja tribe, who all look up to her......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vree View Post
Second, complimenting your enemy is NOT something that you should do every two pages. In a weaksauce story you have a secondary character talk about how great the main character is. If it's a good story then you show it, have the hero prove it themselves. I don't want all of these arch-villains impressed by some kid right off the bat, I want them to grudgingly admit it some 100 pages later, to see have it forced out of them. Where is their experience and ambition? If you gonna just drop your jaw that easily, what does that say about you? I want a character who's like "Whatever...Saw this being done a million times and it wasn't in my top ten to begin with". You know?

To be fair, Luffy was still referred to as a rookie, rather than some great veteran of the Grand Line. Whitebeard even gave him the same warning that both Nyon and Ivankov gave him about being pretty insignificant compared to all of the superpowers who are clashing right now. To put it in another way, you could say that Luffy is like that one popular sports jock at a high school: He has enough potential as an athlete to be recognized by those who are above him, but he's still too wet behind the ears to be considered a true "professional". At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from this chapter......
Old 2009-09-17, 17:26   Link #96
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Well now that I've (finally) read the chapter I guess I should give my two cents.

Mostly just found it a prelude for the action to come. Was also interesting to see some of the character's takes on Luffy after witnessing him for the first time.

Not much to say really. S'pose because I came in a little too late. Not all that fond of spoiling myself when it comes to One Piece.

Definetly looking forward to next week though.~

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2009-09-17 at 17:42.
Old 2009-09-17, 17:43   Link #97
Big Daddy

Quote:
Two things that have been bothering me. First no matter how big a battle is, you do not have the right to call it a "war". especially if you are gonna cramp a bunch of people in the same place. A war is fought on different fronts at the same time with nation-sized number of participants. Anyway, so far a big fat nothing has happened. It's as if everyone was stuck in a turn-based RPG, waiting for the people before them to finish their turn.

Except what luffy has done has never happened before...That is the reason they are saying these things. We have seen just as many times where people have said luffy was a nobody or weak as we have seen people compliment him.
Old 2009-09-17, 18:14   Link #98
andy

Quote:

There only so much you can show of the war before it drags on. WB came and attack everyone , you see people in back ground getting attack, we also seen some marines running away . You see pirates attacking from another side . While some of the warlords stop some pirates. You also see some people attack WB while others jump in to stop them. You can't expect oda to show what everyone is doing every chapter that would take way to long.

Luffy is a super rookie what luffy has done have never been done before . We are talking about some one was has beating 2 warlords , destroy 2 marines bases in under a year of being a pirate. Not to mention he the only rookie there and brought some rather power full guys. Luffy has already prove to marines he is a pain in the ass . He has already meet 2 of the 3 Admirals. he also meet all of the warlords expect 1 . Luffy is already one of the most talking about rookies in the marines he also some one that most of the warlords know about .

As i said what luffy has done has never been done before by no one.
Old 2009-09-17, 18:24   Link #99
Somnus
Eh?

Even this chapter is slower in terms of overall progression I still loved it. Though this time around it's mostly because Luffy is finally back (not just a couple of panels). Now (hopefully) for the rest of the crew.
Old 2009-09-17, 19:21   Link #100
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
As i said what luffy has done has never been done before by no one.
Indeed. For being a rookie pirate, Luffy's actions are unprecedented. That, combined with the fact that he has exalted himself in notoriety (the whole world knows his name by now) and grown substantially in strength in such a short period of time, is what has caught the attention of everyone. This chapter simply served to emphasize all of this, by even having the big names (elites) comment on him.

Also, now that Jimbei has officially made his resignation from the shichibukai, I wonder who will take his place in the future? Perhaps a pirate veteran from the New World, or maybe one of the supernovas?