AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 28 34.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 30.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 19.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-11, 12:51   Link #161
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well whatever. I agree though the creators are indeed trying to present him as a really antipathic and totally uncool fellow, who's forte isn't exactly the logical behaviour. It still saddens me somehow, that his closest available friend would leave him cruelly behind in that state.
Old 2009-05-11, 14:02   Link #162
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 5 has managed to hit the headlines:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/0...ng-guro-anime/
Old 2009-05-11, 15:50   Link #163
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 5 has managed to hit the headlines:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/0...ng-guro-anime/
You know, you should give a little heads up about the NSFW content of the site

Heh, Steven Colbert.
Old 2009-05-11, 18:39   Link #164
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I picked up on that when I first watched it. It really made me cringe.

I think Saki knew her brother-in-law before her sister married him. Admiration probably turned into love. He seems like a real stand up guy too.

And five pages since my last post. I really can't keep up. lol.
Old 2009-05-11, 19:47   Link #165
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Reading some posts here, I felt bit surprised by the fact that there are many people who feel sympathy/antipathy to a certain characters. Some of you treat characters as if someone they knew and even become judgmental to him/her although they probably have their roles in context of the theme development in the work. To some extent, this probably means a success of the work, though.
This.

I really never understood the need for basic "love" and "hate" attitudes towards fictional characters. Good characters, like Saki, aren't so simple as to be judged by one single emotion.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-05-11, 21:41   Link #166
sikvod00

I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I neither love nor hate any of the characters. Maybe if you gave specific examples of posts that gave you that perception, the person could explain if that's really how they felt.
Old 2009-05-11, 23:13   Link #167
feRfe

ah where is stephen?
Old 2009-05-12, 01:30   Link #168
Amber.Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
This.

I really never understood the need for basic "love" and "hate" attitudes towards fictional characters. Good characters, like Saki, aren't so simple as to be judged by one single emotion.
Hmm, you can say "overall". For example, I hate how my friend keeps poking me >_<, but overall, I like to hang out with him. The good outweights the bad, and we still need to see more of the characters to understand them more.
Old 2009-05-12, 03:15   Link #169
golthin

I felt so bad for Oosugi. He is pissed because Saki has been leading him to believe that she is interested. I hope he is not the next target of Diana. He has a certain guilt too, he should have confessed to her.
Old 2009-05-12, 07:11   Link #170
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I felt so bad for Oosugi. He is pissed because Saki has been leading him to believe that she is interested. I hope he is not the next target of Diana. He has a certain guilt too, he should have confessed to her.
I don't think Saki has been leading him, at all. They are already friends so her saying yes to lunch is no big deal. But yeah, its his fault for not confessing.
Old 2009-05-12, 07:32   Link #171
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Strange, I didn't know Japan used to be that "prude" or "puritan". I even thought they used to go out to eat with (male) people like bosses and supervisors on fridays and the weekends.
Well I don't know if puritan is the right word ^^; But I remember I once saw an interview with a japanese who tried to explain their different approach to "sexual morality". In our western culture there is this concept of "sin", in Japan there isn't such a thing but there's still the idea that sex is something dirty and shameful. They do not fear an omniscient God, but they do fear society's judgment on their behavior. Of course I'm talking about the basic culture, neither we nor them are still attached to such rules. It's interesting how sometimes some girls in anime anachronistically think that just for letting a man see them naked they lose any chance of getting married.

Old 2009-05-12, 08:06   Link #172
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well I don't know if puritan is the right word ^^; But I remember I once saw an interview with a japanese who tried to explain their different approach to "sexual morality". In our western culture there is this concept of "sin", in Japan there isn't such a thing but there's still the idea that sex is something dirty and shameful. They do not fear an omniscient God, but they do fear society's judgment on their behavior. Of course I'm talking about the basic culture, neither we nor them are still attached to such rules. It's interesting how sometimes some girls in anime anachronistically think that just for letting a man see them naked they lose any chance of getting married.
Spoiler for offtopicish:
Old 2009-05-12, 08:54   Link #173
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCupCakes View Post
You know, you should give a little heads up about the NSFW content of the site

Heh, Steven Colbert.
Just so you know, the only reason I know of that site is because Kaoru Chujo showed me it. I was actually debating with myself on whether I should make a warning.
Old 2009-05-12, 09:00   Link #174
Dop
Mmmm....

During the eating scene I couldn't help thinking that Diana likes her steaks like she likes her men - sliced up and bleeding!

After the idea a few episodes ago that Akira had rounded up the NEETs to put them at ground zero, it was better to learn that he'd had them shipped off to Dubai. I guess where this fits in with the Grand Plan is that by learning a trade in Dubai they could come back to Japan and help rebuild after the missile attacks, thus going from wastrels to useful members of society and making the world a better place, etc.

I fear for Oosugi.
Old 2009-05-12, 10:47   Link #175
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh yeah, I was planning on asking. The NEET Akira talked to said, "I don't know what you were planning by sending us to Dubai, but atleast I was able to return to society because of that."

What does that phrase mean? I've hear that in another anime. I have a clue as to what it means but I want to make sure.
Old 2009-05-12, 10:50   Link #176
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'd think it means exactly what it says, since NEET's are perceived as being outside of society, not being employed, educated or trained.

Old 2009-05-12, 10:57   Link #177
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just wanted to make sure. I knew that NEETS didn't hve a a good image in Japan, but this is the first time I've seen it being used so harsly. I mean, being percieved as 'outside of society'? Yeesh.
Old 2009-05-12, 11:04   Link #178
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, thinking clearly, a person past the age of 16, who's neither in some kinda school or working doesn't really participate in much of society's dealings, now does he/she/it? I mean, only as a burden to the parents or for the government, so I guess that's why some people tend to consider such people harshly...

Old 2009-05-12, 11:37   Link #179
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I know some are NEETS because of backward attitudes, but you can't stereotype all of them. Alot are NEETS because they were just unlucky or that it's not their fault. I've always made it a rule of thumb not to judge anyone. (I know you're just playing devils advocate here. I just wanted to share my perspective)

With this global recession there's going to be a lot more of them so I guess in a sense, this anime came out at just the right time.
Old 2009-05-12, 11:46   Link #180
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I know you're just playing devils advocate here. I just wanted to share my perspective
Exactly the right response I was expecting. And I agree with you, on this.
But there are some people who tend to regard NEETs in a very unsavory light, even so.

Closed Thread