AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-21, 20:39   Link #21
chaos_animagic

Hmm, after watching episode 2

I get this "Little Witch Academia" vibe... lol

Where the main girl possess one of the greatest potential to become a great magic (book) user, but she sucks at it in the beginning (mainly cause this is her first time using magic)

And a friend who apparently is also the child of one of the best magic user in the magic world.

Overall this is looking like a fun series to watch. A lot of funny antics from the MC trying to learn magic.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-21, 20:45   Link #22
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
2) it has a female MC so all the males may find it a bit hard to put themselves in the MC's shoes (in fact, for the most part, males are not treated too kindly in that story).
Then they don't have enough training. All male otaku that respect himself can self-insert in a cute girl.

Quote:
As for male MCs in general, I've come to the conclusion that unless the storywriter intends a romance from the start, they do more harm than good. Basically, the As for mixed parties, the moment writers let even one male into the story, it starts to distort. For one thing, the pressure is now on to make some kind of romance, even if the writer is no good at it. Further, even before the romance is on, the pressure is on to give the Male a disproportionate share of the really good abilities. Even if the author manages to avoid this temptation or even deliberately makes Male weak, the pressure is on to give the male character some good moments with whether his abilities would fairly speaking warrant that good moment pushed into secondary importance.

So, go right ahead with all-girl stories.
Sound to me to a certain Kamachi work seriously. I suppose that you talk in general.

Last edited by alex_drian; 2018-01-21 at 22:36.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-21, 21:38   Link #23
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I'm reading one of those myself, and yeah, I want it to be given a chance. At the very least it has to be more deserving than Smartphone dammit! Though it is disadvantaged by
1) being published by something called Earth Star rather than say Kadokawa
2) it has a female MC so all the males may find it a bit hard to put themselves in the MC's shoes (in fact, for the most part, males are not treated too kindly in that story).
3) in some places it is not suitable for imaging. Though the comicalization did a great job on concentrating on portions that are, and given how anime adaptations are one-cour these days, they can probably be quietly cut out since they are secondary bits.
What's the title?
Old 2018-01-21, 23:09   Link #24
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
What's the title?
Specifically, this one
http://comic-earthstar.jp/detail/noukin/
http://www.es-novel.jp/booktitle/24heikinchi.php
The title being something like "I said I wanted Average Abilities, did I?" Personally, I recommend comic first, then LN.
Spoiler for Rave review:

And since I know I am the type that will usually really hate this kind of story setup, and yet I am enjoying every moment of it, I must give the points to the author. Just to make sure, I tried two comics of another series that is about OP characters ... I had an allergic reaction, thus confirming this being my normal response to such material.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-21, 23:26   Link #25
alex_drian

Quote:
Specifically, this one
The title being something like "I said I wanted Average Abilities, did I?" Personally, I recommend comic first, then LN.
Spoiler for Rave review:

And since I know I am the type that will usually really hate this kind of story setup, and yet I am enjoying every moment of it, I must give the points to the author. Just to make sure, I tried two comics of another series that is about OP characters ... I had an allergic reaction, thus confirming this being my normal response to such material.
Oh, was that, I know it but I have read it.
Old 2018-01-22, 06:31   Link #26
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
You know, on hindsight its actually amazing we haven't had an isekai story with yuri vibes before (If there's some novel that does this, I don't know about it). It doesn't look spectacular, but it does look fun, and I like Hazuki already, and her "friend" already looks cute judging from the preview, so sure, lets give it a go. The only real gripe I have with this is that Kantoku's designs don't have seem to have translated as well in this as they did on henneko.
Did not notice your post, so quoting it now. Yep, I'm glad to see one animated too. Not much going on yet, but I like it. Can' t wait to see the other characters get introduced. ^^
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-22, 21:50   Link #27
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Not much going on yet, but I like it.
Well, I suppose we all do, at least mildly. They are playing everything completely by the center variant of the book so far. Though it is stereotypical, there is a reason why the center variant has its status. Cute, ditzy girls have been scientifically proven to stimulate the male interest, and the show is rather heavy on the fanservice. Still, the show had better show something to differentiate itself from the crowd soon.

I mean, this author's dead and they are putting it up over the heads of works from living, producing authors. There has to be some real merit in this work, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Sound to me to a certain Kamachi work seriously. I suppose that you talk in general.
Yes, I speak in general terms. The rot is at all levels, and not really limited to isekai. Pro and amateur works both suffer this problem. It is so ubiquitous one gets acclimatised, but it is still nice to see works where the allocations of abilities and deeds are not based off the gender of the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Oh, was that, I know it but I have[n't?] read it.
Then I'll suggest comic first. It's not a "compressed version" of the LN, more a retelling using the same main points, but it establishes the characters, gets you to like them and solves two weaknesses of the first book of the LN, which should make you enjoy it more:

Spoiler:
Old 2018-01-23, 02:04   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Specifically, this one
Spoiler for Rave review:

Thanks. This is surprisingly fun. I usually hate the OP protagonist thing too, but the concept here makes it feel kinda fresh. Plus the MC is way too cute.
Old 2018-01-25, 11:28   Link #29
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Well, I suppose we all do, at least mildly. They are playing everything completely by the center variant of the book so far. Though it is stereotypical, there is a reason why the center variant has its status. Cute, ditzy girls have been scientifically proven to stimulate the male interest, and the show is rather heavy on the fanservice. Still, the show had better show something to differentiate itself from the crowd soon.

I mean, this author's dead and they are putting it up over the heads of works from living, producing authors. There has to be some real merit in this work, right?
I've watched various kinds of all girl shows or almost all girl shows... like Kancolle, Girls und Panzer, Madoka, Love Live, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, and some less popular titles like Hina Logi - spent money buying products of this one since I liked it. The few that I could not stomach are Kirakira precure and that show about cycling in a school with "josou-bu" in it's title. Right now, currently following Toji no Miko and the show about going to Antarctica. I've watched so many of these anime that the lack of any male lead does not bother me at all.

As for Marchen Madchen, I like the art style and the setting of the story.. so even if this goes generic magical girl show all the way, then I still won't drop it.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2018-01-25 at 13:37.
Old 2018-01-26, 09:04   Link #30
arkhangelsk

We are now up to the 3rd episode.

Spoiler:

Overall, the plot is stereotypical and the execution really average, but throwing in the reserve gained them enough points I'll be here next week.

In an attempt to read ahead a bit and because I have a 20% off coupon to burn, I bought the recently released Manga Book 1. It is just as well it only cost me a couple of hundred yen effective, because the anime has already surpassed the end of that book.

I like how Hazuki's family members are brightened up and actually seem friendly compared to the manga's presentation, but I think they should have found a way to retain a point where even new works like anime and manga also get books, just not very strong ones.
Old 2018-01-27, 08:22   Link #31
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 3:

Didn't expect that.. so the tournament has the purpose of cleaning the originals. So the thing is if a library full of original books don't get cleaned for a long time... terrible monsters that eat people would start to appear.

Well, looking forward to the tournament.
Old 2018-01-30, 05:49   Link #32
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Amusing story with an interesting concept.

I imagine that the older and more famous the story book is, the more power is has? That would explain why they say Cinderella is among the strongest Originals...it is well known around the world, and it might be one of the first "wish fulfilment" stories ever recorded

I'll keep watching this, I'm curious about what kind of Originals the other characters have. (Though I'm kind of expecting the British leader, blatantly called Arthur, to have the Legend of King Arthur as her Original and transforming into a Saber lookalike )
Old 2018-02-02, 11:51   Link #33
arkhangelsk

We are up to episode 4 and they finally did something that surprised me.

Spoiler:
Old 2018-02-03, 06:18   Link #34
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 4:

Finally, some action and not just some running around. Also did not expect that Lynn (american girl) is like that, she's almost pure evil... taking advantage of homeless people, telling the homeless person to attack someone who can't transform yet, using dirty tactics like the poison air bath, and I might be wrong but... did she intend to kill the chinese right there?

Kasumi can talk seriously when she has to. Now some more things are revealed about Shizuka's mom.

Looking forward to episode 5.
Old 2018-02-03, 07:28   Link #35
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Finally, some action and not just some running around. Also did not expect that Lynn (american girl) is like that, she's almost pure evil... taking advantage of homeless people, telling the homeless person to attack someone who can't transform yet, using dirty tactics like the poison air bath, and I might be wrong but... did she intend to kill the chinese right there?
I'd say she was. Anything to release the "good books" and to get them in America. I won't say this is necessarily a bad development - at least it was surprising. A bit like Madoka Magica's Episode 3 in giving a previously lighthearted, stereotypical show a suddenly changed tone. As long as the story doesn't then try to play it as if that was nothing, that Lynn should just be forgiven - that kind of thing.

I guess the part where the Japanese school is in a weak position was no surprise to anyone. It's stereotypical and it isn't like they haven't been hinting at it.

To be fair, they probably aren't homeless. The Japanese just says they don't have a "place to be". I think that means countries that are not America, Britain, China, Russia, India and Japan don't have their own Madchen schools, so children with magical talent there are a bit lost. And Japan is about to join them.
Old 2018-02-03, 13:13   Link #36
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I guess this sets us up for the path of giving Qazan and her group their own place to be with the Japanese school. Though of course not until after the big showdown. Right now she is fairly easy to manipulate even if she knows she's being manipulated. That's how bad the position is for Qazan and her friends. The American girl can be as openly evil as she wants since it isn't as if Qazan has many great options.

In a sense Qazan was basically saved from having to make a hard decision. Obviously was poking Hazuki into figuring out how to use that book and fighting back. At least with Shizuka showing up that takes care of having to try and kill Hazuki. Unreasonable to take that fight any further.

Talk about making mixed media sound like a terrifying thing .
Old 2018-02-03, 13:51   Link #37
alex_drian

Nothing like a bit of suffering for slap the MC in action. Is bad that this week the quality was mediocre, in fact, this week a lot of episodes have this problem.
Old 2018-02-04, 06:12   Link #38
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

The plot thickens, and the magic world's America is being painted as the bad guy with their experiments regarding mixed media
...and also the deal with Qazan.
However, it seems Britain's leader is also doing her own thing, possibly trying to manipulate Hazuki or make her give up and go back to being a normal girl.
On top of all that, now there's the tension between Hazuki and Shizuka due to her birthday, things don't look good for our little Cinderella

Looking forward to the next episode :3
Old 2018-02-10, 09:15   Link #39
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
As for Marchen Madchen, I like the art style and the setting of the story.. so even if this goes generic magical girl show all the way, then I still won't drop it.
They did go all-in on making the protagnoist as adorable as possible. I can't really fault anything about it, if anything suprisingly the cuteness may be the most distracting thing The cinderella modern setting variation works in it's favor as well.

Also pretty happy with the pacing of this. But maybe that's just because watched a bunch of it at once—–-
Old 2018-02-13, 06:22   Link #40
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 5:

Things are getting interesting now. Hazuki arrive just in time to join the battle... but how to fight without her book. Must be painful running through the streets barefoot.

Eagerly waiting for the next epiosde.

@felix

Cuteness factor is indeed one of the things that kept me here. For me, the weakest episodes are 2 and 3.. somehow felt bland. But episode 4 and 5 made an improvement on things.