AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-17, 18:19   Link #17181
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
So being new to Animesuki, I'm not quite sure what the tolerance for maturer content is. So I'm not sure if I'd be able to post that 2nd Vivio fic (the one where she loves Yuuno but he's married to Nanoha) due to a certain scene.

The scene itself might be considered pretty squick in nature, but that depends on personal tolerance I suppose. Thought I'd run it by you guys to see if you think it should be omitted or not.

Spoiler for Potential squick:

It won't be very graphic. While the fic could function without it, I think this scene adds a lot to the guilt and self-loathing Vivio has to deal with in the story.
that would be very, very, very, VERY hard to pull off. If you slip, even for a slight second, and go over the line then you would lose a ton of readers.

Mentioning it would be bad enough, but if you actually plan on having her doing it for a few paragraphs while listening, then that would be something that even I (In all my lemon writing glory) would send through at least five beta readers before releasing.

In fact, I'd consider that a challenge level operation. "do this without making it wrong/squick/ or perverted"

Oh yeah as for limits here on AS, you can't post ( or link to) sexually explicit material. All my lemons have to be "Please PM me if you want the link" or link to my profile and then say what link to click on. Do not link to anything that' "lemon" material, it'll get the mod hammer.
you can do tasteful lemon scented things, but stay away from details to make it AS safe. For example, I've gone as far as: heavily implying what's going on with panting, hand motions, ect, but I've never actually described it, nor "said" what they were doing. If it isn't too long, I'll help you with that in a PM. not teh entire story (as I don't have time) but I'll help you know if its AS safe or not. (or if its squick)

EDIT: Page claim for exceedingly difficult scenes to write, and what we learn from failing at them XD (referance to my "love ties" fic if anyone missed it )
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 18:42   Link #17182
Nijiru

On the note that Satashi just made, when I started posting here, I mentioned that I have no problem beta reading stuff for people. That includes stuff that might burn the mind's eye. "The only people who really know where the edge is are the ones who have gone over."
Nijiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:16   Link #17183
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Here is part 3 of 6 from 'Animal Instincts'.

Previous:

Animal Instincts: Preface

Animal Instincts: (1/6) Chapter 1: The Girl from the City

Animal Instincts: (2/6) Chapter 1: The Girl from the City

Spoiler for Part three of six (3/6) from 'Animal Instincts': Chapter 1:
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:17   Link #17184
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Speaking of beta reading, I hereby post the revised Chapter 21 of Stahlkonigin, the one that prompted intense discussion on three separate points. Changes indicate:

1. Since, quite frankly, this is not a story in which the TSAB political structure is significant, I've changed the Jarentil backstory to a desire to form a world government to petition for TSAB membership and administered-world status. Hopefully Force will get into this topic a little more, but that's neither here nor there.

2. Heimdall weaponry adjusted since, well, I was simply wrong on an Arc-en-Ciel's specs (specifically firing range). It's no longer capable of OHKO-ing Cranagan, but I hope that it's still sufficiently scary.

3. One-sentence discussion of why scrying magic won't turn up the AMF "blank zone."

4. Slight change to the Nest's forward-firing weapon description to remove any implication that it was a mass weapon and at the same time removing the possible question as to why it would fire through the AMF.

5. As in the "final" of Chapter 18, I've completely omitted discussion of the question of deployment by teleport or other transportation magic instead of trying to handwave it, given the Great Teleportation Flame War that erupted last time. My opinion (as a writer, not as a fan) basically boils down to this: we didn't see them deploy by teleport during the series. We know that many mages (including Fate, Arf, and Yuuno) can teleport. Therefore either the writers aren't capable of keeping track of their own characters' abilities or there is some in-universe reason why everybody flies around in helicopters or on their own instead. While I suspect that the former is the actual answer (and let's face it, it's easier for dozens of different fans to chew something over and figure out unintended ramifications--the same reason why players in tabletop RPGs so often manage to subvert the GM's expectations), I prefer that the latter be considered the answer rather than think that Nanoha or Signum, for example, overlooked basic tactical concerns.

5a. As a side note--Yuuno teleports Arf away in one of the original season episodes (7, I think, or maybe 5?) and it's remarked that it'll take time for her to get back, allowing Nanoha and Fate to have their fight...but why can't Arf, herself a user of teleport magic, just pop right back? Sure, Yuuno might do something to keep her occupied at the far end, but Fate can't know that, and yet it's presented to the viewers as a foregone conclusion??

Spoiler for Stahlkonigin--Revised Ch. 21:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:34   Link #17185
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Risking a double-post to keep comments about other people's fics/ideas separated from my own stuff. Here's hoping I get ninja'd!

[QUOTE=TheShinySword;2712114]

I laughed out loud at “Somehow... I feel like I'm no longer fit for marriage.” My wife gave me an odd look.

Quote:
Btw does anyone have any interest in this being continued?
Me! Me!

Quote:
So being new to Animesuki, I'm not quite sure what the tolerance for maturer content is. So I'm not sure if I'd be able to post that 2nd Vivio fic (the one where she loves Yuuno but he's married to Nanoha) due to a certain scene.

The scene itself might be considered pretty squick in nature, but that depends on personal tolerance I suppose. Thought I'd run it by you guys to see if you think it should be omitted or not.

Spoiler for Potential squick:

It won't be very graphic. While the fic could function without it, I think this scene adds a lot to the guilt and self-loathing Vivio has to deal with in the story.
Satashi gave good advice as to the use of actual adult content (i.e. "don't"). And, um...I'm squicked by the description. Not "drop the fic in a white-hot rage" squicked, just "eeeew" squicked. Though I do agree that it would be a significant cause of guilt and loathing, I'd think that she could overhear and imagine herself with Yuuno without actually taking it to the next step.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:41   Link #17186
Nijiru

@Dezo: I like, and I see no problem with anything here. It also saves me time Monday, as I won't have to read the new chapter when you post it on FF.net.
Nijiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:42   Link #17187
D2
Go Big Red!

You know what, I think this thread has gotten a bit too serious lately. I present to you, a songfic:

Themesong: College Kids-Relient K

Spoiler for Adjusted Song Title: Teana Lanster:
Old 2009-10-17, 20:54   Link #17188
Rika23onROOF
meow~ give me cookies~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
... I really hate when this happens.

There I am, minding my own business, and Satashi posts a video and I can't stop listening. Well after watching pretty Korean men use synchronized dance moves and snazzy tunes I couldn't hold it back.

Spoiler for Lyrical Boys Stage:

Spoiler for A/N:

Btw does anyone have any interest in this being continued?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
@Shiny:
Spoiler for Lyrical Boy Stage's first music video:

KYAAAAA!!!! *squeling fangirl*
Chrono! Yunno! Sign my shirt!! *jumping*
(^//////^)

@ Shiny and Satashi: its really good, thank you sempai!
Rika23onROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:11   Link #17189
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Mentioning it would be bad enough, but if you actually plan on having her doing it for a few paragraphs while listening, then that would be something that even I (In all my lemon writing glory) would send through at least five beta readers before releasing.
Well, I suppose calling it a 'scene' is a bit much. It's more like just one paragraph. Certainly wouldn't call it a lemon either. Just a hint of cirtrus. Doesn't really go beyond 'groans' and 'creaking matress'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Though I do agree that it would be a significant cause of guilt and loathing, I'd think that she could overhear and imagine herself with Yuuno without actually taking it to the next step.
I suppose I could change it to something like "She clamped her hands over her ears to block out the sounds, hating the fact that she wished it was happening to her instead."

How does that sound?
Old 2009-10-17, 21:14   Link #17190
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, such a scene can't be any weirder than, say, Satashi's Please Teach Me. >________>
Old 2009-10-17, 21:23   Link #17191
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:

I suppose I could change it to something like "She clamped her hands over her ears to block out the sounds, hating the fact that she wished it was happening to her instead."

How does that sound?
Like a bad hentai game. Really, the whole "Parents are going at it and she gets off on it" is rally lame to me. Like you're struggling to add smut in to keep your readers interested.

I really don't like the idea the more I think about it. Seriously stop and look at the reactions your getting. Its already "squick" without even being written yet.

Spoiler for NSFW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Well, such a scene can't be any weirder than, say, Satashi's Please Teach Me. >________>
Yeah but that was an experiment and Nanoha/Vivio bonding. Not running your batteries down while listening to your parents.

(Besides, I think mine was tastefully done )

EDIT: *re-reads it* okay, it sucks. that should be deleted -.-
Old 2009-10-17, 21:24   Link #17192
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Yeah, Raiser, I have to go with Satashi and Dezo on this... just the description of that scene is making me squirm, and not in a good kind of way. I don't think you should put it in if it's already having this kind of reaction and you didn't even write it out yet.
Old 2009-10-17, 21:37   Link #17193
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
Here is part 3 of 6 from 'Animal Instincts'.

Previous:

Animal Instincts: Preface

Animal Instincts: (1/6) Chapter 1: The Girl from the City

Animal Instincts: (2/6) Chapter 1: The Girl from the City

Spoiler for Part three of six (3/6) from 'Animal Instincts': Chapter 1:
You're mean! You just can't cut the chapter in that part!

That aside, this was another excellent update, I really like what you're doing with the setting and with the town people being so tsundere to Fate (yes, they're tsundere, because we know that people can really hate our kind Fate ^^). I can't wait for the next part~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
But I don't know if want to post it on fanfction.com. You and Liitha were the only ones who said anything about my fic so I don't know if it's going well...

But who knows?
If you don't get many replies here it isn't because your fic is bad, I'm sure it's not because even if we haven't read much of "Animal Instincts" yet so far it's looking great. If you don't get comments should be simply because for X reason the users who visit this thread haven't read it yet or because they don't have something particular to comment, sometimes that happens with short updates like yours.

I'm sure that if you post it at fanfiction.net the readers will like it and if you post a proper summary lots of people will give it a try and enjoy of this nice piece of literature ^^

@00-Raiser: I agree with Satashi and the others, for me the idea is disgusting. Also, it would be better if you use Nanoha and Fate instead of suggesting an alternate couple/family for not plot purposes, I think that would actually work well, I can see a lot of potential using that kind of plot line. Also, I can really see Vivio falling for her Fate-mama xD It's not like anyone can resist her charm, but I suppose people won't try anything with Fate because they don't want to provoke the Wrath of the White Devil xD That's too dangerous, but if she's their daughter she can actually have some real survival chances ^^

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:41   Link #17194
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Yeah, Raiser, I have to go with Satashi and Dezo on this... just the description of that scene is making me squirm, and not in a good kind of way. I don't think you should put it in if it's already having this kind of reaction and you didn't even write it out yet.
Well, the main trouble we're all having right now is that the plot sounds like it's essentially 7 minutes of half the incest-related hentai movies ever released. Just flick the role of the players around a bit here and there. Hell, even I'm going a bit at this. It's just not...how do you say...

...am I allowed to say that this development, unless done under severe build-up conditions of angst and bad ends, is just not good plot handling? Especially when It's A Family Affair, this Renketsu Houshiki (Art of Coupling) just doesn't do it for me...I'd be shifting in my seat less if it was a love triangle going School Days-bad, but even then you need a build-up to the scene-

-because it's either one of simply abject moral despair, or a plain old fashioned fapfest, and that's considering it's done right in either one of the extreme intentions. Do it wrong, however, and it becomes neither: it becomes something of a 'meh, so that's it' issue, which is in itself the most tragic outcome. So my thumb's down too on this matter.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:44   Link #17195
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Well, if the scene has proper buildup then yes, I can accept it. Just... throwing it out without any development or background info is making me go "" right now.
Old 2009-10-17, 21:47   Link #17196
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
To 00-Raiser:

I've seen masturbation used to show guilt and despair done well once but that didn't have creepy incestial overtones. The idea itself isn't bad but the fact that it's HER PARENTS HAVING SEX, which is an incredibly traumatizing thing for pretty much any child ever, is what makes it utterly disturbing. otherwise you've just got creepy smut that loses it's intention in the over all ick. The idea in general is creepy as hell and I won't be touching it with a ten foot pole but that aside I'm with the rest on the drop the scene and figure out something else to do with it.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:47   Link #17197
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well, I do have most of the fic written out already, actually.

But the main idea here is that to Vivio, Yuuno was 'the guy I'm in love with' before he was her father. It's making that adjustment that's causing her grief. The idea of the scene wasn't smut for smut's sake, at least. Hearing the person you're in love with having sex in the next room, I considered what would be a natural reaction.

I understand the discomfort though, so I'll take your advice and remove it.
Old 2009-10-17, 21:49   Link #17198
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Hearing the person you're in love with having sex in the next room, I considered what would be a natural reaction.
...I would cry really hard into my pillow.....
Old 2009-10-17, 21:51   Link #17199
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
...I would cry really hard into my pillow.....
I, on the other hand, may start fingering my collection of knives...
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:51   Link #17200
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Yeah I'm with Satashi on that one, the natural female reaction isn't masturbation >__> it's tears and lots of them (okay not for every girl)
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha