AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-17, 06:43   Link #1461
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Exactly, ONE, no more. If you want to play some Halo or hit up some tag team fighter or play an MMO with your friends, you are out of luck. Even with just single-player, if you have two other people playing at the same time, you'll have to either wait or contact them and ask them to stop. If, that is, you can actually see who is currently playing. If not, you'll have to just wait or contact everyone you've shared the game with. Don't underestimate the likelihood of conflict.
What exactly is your point? You're saying 2 people being able to play off a single purchase is bad or something, it's better than it currently is via disc or steam. One of my best mates who died a few years back was a massive gamer, we would've taken advantage of this shit so bad.

Oh and maybe don't make 9 other big games your "family" so that conflict doesn't arise, be smart about it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 07:28   Link #1462
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
For the record it could be that the XBOX 1 will sell even better than the PS4 even with all of these flaws and that's probably what Microsoft is betting on. All this hate are coming from people who would buy it anyways.
One could also be struck by lightning. Doesn't mean you should bet on it happening. It's obvious that's what Microsoft is betting on, but it doesn't make it a good idea. And don't assume people are going to buy it anyway, I know I sure as hell won't. It literally has nothing to offer me.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 08:26   Link #1463
4Tran

Quote:
That's a good point.

I mean there's a lot of noise but the question is how much will this actually make a difference?

For the record it could be that the XBOX 1 will sell even better than the PS4 even with all of these flaws and that's probably what Microsoft is betting on. All this hate are coming from people who would buy it anyways.
At this point, Microsoft is running scared. They're looking at the possibility of Sony shipping 3-4 million units by Christmas while the Xbone might be looking at < 800,000 in the same time frame. This isn't even a sales forecast - it's a prediction of how quickly these companies can build consoles. While the console war isn't over right now, if this were to happen, then it would be.

They can't even market properly because the people behind the scenes are terrified, and have no way of effectively communicating their ideas. And this is the least of Microsoft's concerns. They still might have to finalize their hardware, they still don't have mature development tools, and all of the games are going to be behind. The Xbone's ship date might slip to December, while Sony is teasing at a late October launch.

Here's a good example of Microsoft's woes:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-with-xbox-one
Old 2013-06-17, 09:06   Link #1464
Westlo
Lets be reality

eh there's noway xbone outsells the ps4, the 360 is barely ahead of the ps3 right now and it had a lot of factors going for it.

* Released a year earlier
* Lower price point
* Superior multiiplat titles
* Easier to code for
* XBL as the definitive console online experience
* Gears of War killer app (was much bigger than Uncharted early days)

Now ps4 will release around the same time, is $100 cheaper, is more powerful, easier to code for, will have the superior multiplat titles, ps+ > xbl in terms of what it gives you.

All Sony have to do is break even in America and they will beat MS. If the ps3 and 360 american sales were swapped around the ps3 would be the #1 selling console this gen.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 10:14   Link #1465
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Images
You guys need some motivation to buy the XBox One
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 10:40   Link #1466
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
eh there's noway xbone outsells the ps4, the 360 is barely ahead of the ps3 right now and it had a lot of factors going for it.

* Lower price point
* Easier to code for
The 360 had a wide and strong range of early years exclusives too. Mass Effect, Halo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Halo, Vesperia, etc. Some went to the PS3 as timed exclusives, but mostly 360 had the huge momentum very early.

Right now? Aside from Halo and Forza, I don't know if they have any other gaming IPs worth a damn. Gears has went down the drain. Even Fable's lost a lot of its early magic.

I don't know if they have any real edge going into this war. If there's one thing, ironically... It would be the fact that the Japanese gaming scene hasn't transitioned well into the next-gen HD.

Only the big studios like Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bamco & a few others are the ones who's really playing seriously in the next-gen scene... and because these studios also have a strong stake in the western markets, they're more likely to go multi-platform for a majority of their games.

As most of the Japanese gaming scene seems content to focus in the 3DS/PSP/Vita market, the "Japan" advantage wouldn't be as strong as it used to be.

... Sony really needs to invest into more Japanese 1st-party studios.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 10:57   Link #1467
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Penny Arcade offers their two cents: breathable air.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/12
Old 2013-06-17, 11:10   Link #1468
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Your daily dose of quotables and PR nightmare.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-defends-xbox-one-500-price-point-were-over-delivering-value-6410352

Tl;dr Microsoft : You should be paying us thousands of dollars, so fuck you for not liking $500

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 11:11   Link #1469
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The 360 had a wide and strong range of early years exclusives too. Mass Effect, Halo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Halo, Vesperia, etc. Some went to the PS3 as timed exclusives, but mostly 360 had the huge momentum very early.

Right now? Aside from Halo and Forza, I don't know if they have any other gaming IPs worth a damn. Gears has went down the drain. Even Fable's lost a lot of its early magic.
Microsoft's attitude towards their Xbox division is very different now than in 2006. Since 2010, they've gutted their game studios and the output has gone down the tubes unless you count Kinect games.

I don't know if they have any real edge going into this war. If there's one thing, ironically... It would be the fact that the Japanese gaming scene hasn't transitioned well into the next-gen HD.

Only the big studios like Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bamco & a few others are the ones who's really playing seriously in the next-gen scene... and because these studios also have a strong stake in the western markets, they're more likely to go multi-platform for a majority of their games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
As most of the Japanese gaming scene seems content to focus in the 3DS/PSP/Vita market, the "Japan" advantage wouldn't be as strong as it used to be.

... Sony really needs to invest into more Japanese 1st-party studios.
The PS3 is still a pretty popular development platform. Sony really should put their Japanese studios into better use though - right now they're still developing on PS3 (Rain, Puppeteer).
Old 2013-06-17, 12:56   Link #1470
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
As opposed to every other console, where only 1 person can play each game at the same time?
Like when you wanna have ten of your friends play online on separate boxes and you have to have 10 consoles, and 10 games? That's so much easier.

Look. There are plenty of things to question about the Xboxone sharing model. Like whether the friend restrictions on the sharing make up for physical trading. Or if the limits on the number of friends would be an issue. But seriously. But lets not mindlessly complain about it not letting dozens of people remotely play a game, when no other console in existence has done that. That one feature is a pretty big innovation. Maybe it doesn't make up for all the Xboxone's shortcoming (incluing the sharing model itself), but it's immature to just write it off going by impossible standards.
Cool concept, but if publishers are not forced to enable this feature for their games, chances are the games you CAN share would be super limited. You could say better than none, sure. Lets count on their kinect dance titles.

And yes, I totally forgot that this only applies to single player mode. Multiplayer still requires an individual copy.

Then we don't know the restrictions on the "family list". Is the list permanent or do you have to wait 30/60/90 days to change the people on the list? If permanent and all the people on your list ends up moving out of the country/state and decided not to game anymore, your family list ends up being completely useless?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 14:01   Link #1471
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Now ps4 will release around the same time, is $100 cheaper, is more powerful, easier to code for, will have the superior multiplat titles, ps+ > xbl in terms of what it gives you.
Where'd you get that? (in bold)

I think sometimes people make very strong statements without the facts. Wishful thinking.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:00   Link #1472
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
At this point, Microsoft is running scared. They're looking at the possibility of Sony shipping 3-4 million units by Christmas while the Xbone might be looking at < 800,000 in the same time frame. This isn't even a sales forecast - it's a prediction of how quickly these companies can build consoles. While the console war isn't over right now, if this were to happen, then it would be.

They can't even market properly because the people behind the scenes are terrified, and have no way of effectively communicating their ideas. And this is the least of Microsoft's concerns. They still might have to finalize their hardware, they still don't have mature development tools, and all of the games are going to be behind. The Xbone's ship date might slip to December, while Sony is teasing at a late October launch.

Here's a good example of Microsoft's woes:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-with-xbox-one
I understand it's just that

http://www.policymic.com/articles/48...says-microsoft

With the attitude they are displaying to me they are more than confident that they'll do good enough or even better than the PS4 despite all of these "noises"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:04   Link #1473
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post

I think sometimes people make very strong statements without the facts. Wishful thinking.
The easier to code for comes from two things: the fact that PS4 doesn't have to juggle ESRAM, and because at least one developer has stated that PS4's development tools are more mature at the moment.
Old 2013-06-17, 15:15   Link #1474
4Tran

Quote:

Via Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/

Quote:
"One thing we could have done is drop it down to 128-bit bus, which would drop the bandwidth to 88 gigabytes per second, and then have eDRAM on chip to bring the performance back up again," said Cerny. While that solution initially looked appealing to the team due to its ease of manufacturability, it was abandoned thanks to the complexity it would add for developers. "We did not want to create some kind of puzzle that the development community would have to solve in order to create their games. And so we stayed true to the philosophy of unified memory."
The direction that Cerny decided against is precisely the one that the Xbone took.

As for better multi-platform games, the more powerful the console, the better the graphics are going to be. The PS4 is about 1.5x the power of the Xbone, so the difference there is pretty significant. Early on, Sony's superior development tools may make a difference as well. It's not wishful thinking - it's math.

Quote:
I understand it's just that

http://www.policymic.com/articles/48...says-microsoft

With the attitude they are displaying to me they are more than confident that they'll do good enough or even better than the PS4 despite all of these "noises"
If it were confidence, then all of the Microsoft executives would be on point with their messaging - each one of them would be repeating the same few points. What we're getting is that they're talking about all sorts of different points and often contradicting each other. This is panic - the preorder numbers, the sales projections, the production projections, and the way that their messaging has backfired are all beyond Microsoft's expectations, and I don't know if they have any idea for how to deal with it. When and if they stop making flubs and getting on point, we'll know that they have gotten their act together. Right now, it's the kind of material that will start showing up in business and marketing classes all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
The easier to code for comes from two things: the fact that PS4 doesn't have to juggle ESRAM, and because at least one developer has stated that PS4's development tools are more mature at the moment.
Game studios aren't supposed to let on that a platform they're developing for has issues, but Avalanche let that slip a couple of weeks ago.
Old 2013-06-17, 15:35   Link #1475
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Via Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/
The direction that Cerny decided against is precisely the one that the Xbone took.

As for better multi-platform games, the more powerful the console, the better the graphics are going to be. The PS4 is about 1.5x the power of the Xbone, so the difference there is pretty significant. Early on, Sony's superior development tools may make a difference as well. It's not wishful thinking - it's math.
This doesn't mean much. Cerny is obviously partial when referring to the PS4 architecture. What he says makes sense, but without knowing exactly what are the developing tools from both consoles, this is still remains wishful thinking, not math.

I'm still waiting for some expert on the architectures to do a more technical and detailed review, and without bias. Yet without knowing the developing tools, there is no way to have a certainty about it.

I prefer to wait for the launch and really see the truth of the matter firsthand. And not to be making hasty judgments about facts not too solids.

Well, anyway I'll be on PC this generation. So long as they make games for PC, I'm glad.
Old 2013-06-17, 17:11   Link #1476
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Old 2013-06-17, 17:27   Link #1477
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

* Lower price point
* Easier to code for

All Sony have to do is break even in America and they will beat MS. If the ps3 and 360 american sales were swapped around the ps3 would be the #1 selling console this gen.
While the more powerful bit is confirmed as true just going by the simple fact that both systems have virtually identical GPUs but the PS4 has more cores the same can't be said on the easier to code for bit. Sony just can't beat Microsoft's developer skill. They have years developing DirectX and Visual Studio. Go ask any game developer who coded for the 360 and they'll tell you how game-changing Microsoft's development tools were for that system. They were the first to allow console devs to do shader debugging for instance. I may not be a big fan of Microsoft due to their years of anti-competitive policies in virtually all areas of business but they do have some pretty extensive technical know-how. You don't just emerge as the virtually undisputed choice of graphics API* (DirectX) without at least some quality in there.

* Yes, I know OpenGL is coming back in force due to Apple and Android but desktop-wise DirectX is still king.
Old 2013-06-17, 18:30   Link #1478
4Tran

Quote:
This doesn't mean much. Cerny is obviously partial when referring to the PS4 architecture. What he says makes sense, but without knowing exactly what are the developing tools from both consoles, this is still remains wishful thinking, not math.
When an expert in the field confirms what makes sense, the likelihood that this is true is very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
While the more powerful bit is confirmed as true just going by the simple fact that both systems have virtually identical GPUs but the PS4 has more cores the same can't be said on the easier to code for bit. Sony just can't beat Microsoft's developer skill. They have years developing DirectX and Visual Studio. Go ask any game developer who coded for the 360 and they'll tell you how game-changing Microsoft's development tools were for that system. They were the first to allow console devs to do shader debugging for instance. I may not be a big fan of Microsoft due to their years of anti-competitive policies in virtually all areas of business but they do have some pretty extensive technical know-how. You don't just emerge as the virtually undisputed choice of graphics API* (DirectX) without at least some quality in there.

* Yes, I know OpenGL is coming back in force due to Apple and Android but desktop-wise DirectX is still king.
Systems being easier to code for are largely an artefact of their architecture. Both the PS4 and the Xbone have similar architectures, except that the Xbone has a bunch of extra steps required to perform its tasks. Hence it is impossible for the Xbone to be easier to code for unless its development tools are superior.

Here's what Avalanche (Just Cause) has to say over that:
Quote:
We asked Avalanche’s chief technical officer Linus Blomberg how the two consoles compare. “It’s difficult to say, as it’s still early days when it comes to drivers,” he told us. “With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I’m not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area..."
http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4-...anche-studios/

We also have quotes like this regarding the PS4:
Quote:
The seemingly seamless move to Sony’s hardware is all the more impressive once one considers that Young Horses made the transition in a mere four weeks. In fact, saying “Young Horses” did it is a little misleading – studio head Phil Tibitoski tells TG that the port was mainly completed by co-founder Kevin Geisler while the rest of the team continued on with the core game.
http://www.technologyguide.com/featu...orite-octopus/

In time, Microsoft might catch up to Sony, or even exceed them in development tools. But that's certainly not the case right now. And, in light of so many games at E3 not running on Xbone developer kits, it suggests strongly that the game studios are having a hard time coding Xbone games. And that this is in stark contrast to PS4 development.
Old 2013-06-17, 18:32   Link #1479
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
LMAO!
Old 2013-06-17, 19:05   Link #1480
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
In time, Microsoft might catch up to Sony, or even exceed them in development tools. But that's certainly not the case right now.
You take a single developer to give credibility to your argument, and Mark Cerny, and a expert who work for Sony in PS4, therefore obviously partial to the console he developed (and he dont know the Xbone development tools) . And you still say that it is "certainly not the case right now"? I wonder where did you get so sure about that.

Well, I even believe that what you said may be true, but not with this certainty, based on this "evidence". I'd rather wait an impartial expert with knowledge of both development tools.