AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 17:29   Link #881
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
Yeah, I never understood those 4koma guys...

Spoiler for Here is a better and fixed version:
YEAH!!! Much better
I dunno either these guys have been spamed through out the 4koma jokes. Really now...I think this is their last run NOT!!!

Well here's something quite shocking...NOT!!!

Old 2007-04-12, 17:34   Link #882
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung View Post
So... does watching fansubbed anime make me an Otaku or something? Because I'd honestly like to avoid that label.

Too late!!!! Just being REGISTERED on an anime/manga forum makes you 'otaku'!!!!! O the horror!!!! Flee for your life!

Seriously... the 'otaku' label is pretty much broken. The West has mangled the real meaning of the term - til it is just a fancy way of saying "geek/nerd fan of anime". Whereas in Japan, it still means a seriously subcultured lifestyle that may or may not be all that healthy. In Japan, 'otaku' brings up mental imagery in much of the public of a few nutcases who sporadically make the news after committing heinous crimes.... kind of like the mention of D&D in the 80s got you defending yourself from misinformed upstanding idiots about the Satanism and Drugs supposedly surrounding it.

Of course, the word itself is overloaded as historically it means "home" お宅, 御宅 otaku but written as hiragana refers to the slang meaning.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku)

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-12 at 17:45.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:42   Link #883
Shana

Quote:

OMG, LOL. Are you crazy .
Old 2007-04-12, 17:47   Link #884
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As I said, I really *liked* the a.f.k. translation work except for what I'll call "overtranslation" of the food, little of which is alien to anyone who has ever looked at a teriyaki bar menu (sukiyaki, yakitori, etc) (I notice they used "natto" rather than "fermented bean curd" though they used the term "parent child bowl" instead of the japanese term, it got kind of inconsistent). This is PURELY a personal preferential difference though.
I don't know if this was responded to in the pages after you posted (as I can't remember and I'm slightly inebriated), but I believe "parent child bowl" was used because otherwise, the "expanded family bowl" wouldn't make any sense without a note and would destroy the impact of the joke.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:54   Link #885
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
YEAH!!! Much better
I dunno either these guys have been spamed through out the 4koma jokes. Really now...I think this is their last run NOT!!!

Oh really???

~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 18:20   Link #886
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
You know... all these "similarities" you are finding such as the Chiyo and Akari ones are simply character stereotypes traits reused commonly in stuff like this. In fact, the first thing I thought of in that Chiyo pic was the first transfer student from Konnyaku.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 18:34   Link #887
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think at this point the "similarities" have become a running gag within the thread itself in a bit of self-parody.
Old 2007-04-12, 18:44   Link #888
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:

I knew she looked familiar, but I can't believe I didn't make that connection earlier. Well, it has been years since I saw To Heart, but, damn...
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 18:57   Link #889
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:

LOL

Perfect!
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 19:30   Link #890
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Dadadadadada....it's not daddy but a secret finishing move passed on to Konata Izumi!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDX1cM4Tc4c

really people can think alot of parodies for this anime and it's very fresh!!!
I thought that was a pun on Moguro Fukuzou from "Warau Salesman". But then again, that pointing finger could be from many things.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 20:29   Link #891
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

:: jumps out of the bushes ::
Kaioshin-sama! Troll! Enemy of Haruhiism!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yanno though, being bothered by the lack of manliness in this show seems kind of odd since it's a show about high school girls. Although I'm also tired of having male leads who are whiny/incompetent. Anime needs more guys like Batou. And FYI... there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Funny thing, I don't see the OP as being that much about dancing. Much of the footage isn't dancing, and some of the footage that is doesn't have the dance move creativity of Hare Hare Yukai. The fascination for me is with the music itself. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with all the time signature and tempo changes, the music is rather unusual for a "pop" song. Would be curious to hear some analysis from someone with more musical education than I have. I have to give the a.f.k. people major props for putting out what seems like such an accurate translation of the lyrics. Now I can sing it! Oh, and I was being driven nutz by the section in the middle after the shots of their legs, from that point to just before the cheerleading section was so reminding me of another song. Finally figured out what it is... "Spice Up Your Life" by the Spice Girls. Same shift to a lower register, with almost the same melody line. And I find both oddly addictive.

Going to put myself into the minority category here, I thought the section where they talk about food was the best part of the whole show. First because I've had conversations that are sooo similar in tone and flow, although not on the same subject matter. Second because I think it's a really good way to start the series by setting a tone that says thinking about the weirdness of everyday topics is the point... clearly we should expect a more cerebral and subtle tone than the sometimes manic pace of AzuDai, let alone the action of SHnY. And finally... because Miyuki is my alter ego. Or maybe I'm hers. She eats cake *just* like me... I've even used the phrase "normal distribution" to describe how I eat desserts. It's bordering on eerie. So I just hope that in my next lifetime I will be that cute!

About the somewhat over-rapid timing of many of the transitions: I'm thinking it may be a side effect of the extra strain that reading subs puts on the brain. A native viewer is going to be hearing the lines while their visual cortex is examining the elements of the scene. Someone who's trying to read the subs and look at the scene, back and forth, is gonna be a bit lagged mentally much of the time. This might make the cuts seem abrupt, when they aren't to the native viewer. Trouble is that a native viewer is also used to certain kidns of comic timing, so the only way to really test this theory is to find someone who's fluent but not immersed in Japanese culture. Or else I could watch a handful of scenes until I've memorized the dialoge, and then try watching without reading the subs at all.
Old 2007-04-12, 21:17   Link #892
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

"JOIN us...!" (/deadite voice)

Quote:
Too late!!!! Just being REGISTERED on an anime/manga forum makes you 'otaku'!!!!! O the horror!!!! Flee for your life!
I'd take the comment more seriously if he didn't have that SOS-dan Helicopter sig...

Still, if you're so self-conscious about your image, than you have no reason to worry. The stereotyped ani-ota couldn't care less, so you're already quite clear of harm's way... (*see Genshiken for further details)

Too bad I missed the earlier OT stuff on moe vs. shoujo...that would be a fun thread in itself. I like to point out that many popular moe series are done by artists also known for shoujo work... (CLAMP's Chobits, Koge-Donbo's DigiCharat, etc) furthering the confusion...oops, sorry, I'll shut up!

To get back on topic, check this cover out :
http://www.akadotretail.com/images_osc/17012-0507.jpg
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 21:18   Link #893
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:

Seriously... the 'otaku' label is pretty much broken. The West has mangled the real meaning of the term - til it is just a fancy way of saying "geek/nerd fan of anime". Whereas in Japan, it still means a seriously subcultured lifestyle that may or may not be all that healthy. In Japan, 'otaku' brings up mental imagery in much of the public of a few nutcases who sporadically make the news after committing heinous crimes.... kind of like the mention of D&D in the 80s got you defending yourself from misinformed upstanding idiots about the Satanism and Drugs supposedly surrounding it.

Of course, the word itself is overloaded as historically it means "home" お宅, 御宅 otaku but written as hiragana refers to the slang meaning.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku)
I'm aware of the Japanese meaning, which is why I'd like to avoid being called an Otaku. Wait... doesn't that make me MORE of an Otaku?!

I'M DOOMED!
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 21:20   Link #894
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
The problem with that is that it's somewhat hit and miss. For example, I've been running through Azumanga Daioh - and I still can't find anything that explains what "Summer Service Day" is, and why that might be preferred to the start of the autumn quarter so much that Chio-chan has to do her "Motivation" spell (ep 22)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
If my memory hasn't failed me yet, I'm pretty sure it's just what it sounds like: going to school for a few days during summer break for various things (not sure what things).
FPB is on the right track. The original R1 release of AzuDai from ADV included booklets with lots of translation notes (I expect they might just come in handy while watching Lucky Star too...)

"Summer Service Day - In Japan, students are required to show up at school a couple times over the course of summer break. Usually, it's only for a couple of hours and not a whole lot gets done. Maybe a little preliminary planning for the sports or culture fest. Tomo, Osaka, and Yukari all wish it were a summer service day rather than the real first day back in school."
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 21:21   Link #895
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

And the parodies continue.

Old 2007-04-12, 21:25   Link #896
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
that deserves a
"KEKEKEKE *snort*"

There's otakuism in everyone but the question is, what level of otakuism do you possess? I think i ll go level up a bit by making some more useless signature.
Old 2007-04-12, 21:34   Link #897
Saber Cherry
Marionette

(off-topic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Then we move to Kanon where all the girls are like unrealistic angels in terms of their nature and then we have the one male presence in the entire series in Yuuchi who I think has a good shot at winning the annual biggest douche in the universe award.
Darn, I saw Kanon 1 and had that impression, but I was hoping Kanon 2006 (which I have not yet started) would have changed him. Guess not

re Tsukasa and Akari: There is a strong resemblance, but I think there's a closer match, since their faces are different. I swear I've seen Tsukasa in some other anime (probably with different colored hair) but I can't put my finger on it. I thought it was Pani Poni Dash, but I couldn't find a picture of the complete cast... it's driving me crazy since I get this strong deja-vu every time I see her face (and ribbon).
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 21:48   Link #898
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
~ Darn, I saw Kanon 1 and had that impression, but I was hoping Kanon 2006 (which I have not yet started) would have changed him. Guess not ~
Not to sound overly-harsh, but I would take what Kaoshin says with a pinch of salt. Yuuichi in Kanon(2006) is widely accepted to be one of the better male leads to appear in recent history, and can be considered to be leagues ahead of Kanon(2002)'s Yuuichi. I am fairly confident that you will end up liking Kanon(2006)'s Yuuichi, confident enough in fact, to make a bet with you. If you wind up disliking Yuuichi at the end of Kanon(2006), feel free to de-rep me for leading you down the wrong path.

If you have more questions about Kanon(2006), feel free to pop on down to the Kanon sub-forum for more answers. There is a Q&A thread for spoiler-free queries.
~~~~ ~~~~

As for Lucky Star, well... currently the main attraction for me is the presence of Kagami and Akira. I am partial to Konata, but some of her mannerisms just doesn't gel with me. Tsukasa is okay at times, but not that memorable to me, and Miyuki is just too ditzy for my liking.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 22:22   Link #899
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Konata = Cleft-chan
Akira = Cleft-tan

They both have cleft lips.
Old 2007-04-12, 22:25   Link #900
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Meh. I was amused by the dancing in the opening, but the rest of the first episode was just boring. Shame. =/

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen