AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2016-10-17, 02:10   Link #101
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loremaster View Post
So today we find out LevelSeven isn't that big of an Accelerator fan.
<spittake>

What. Have. I. Missed?
Old 2016-10-17, 03:43   Link #102
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Lol, everyone wow, you're being waaaay too harsh. I'm pretty sure he wasn't speaking character-wise. He was just talking about Accelerator's fighting style not being inhibited by the choker as much as he thinks it should be.

Just because he isn't responding doesn't mean y'all should take your conclusions so far... I do that a lot, so I'm cautioning y'all against it.

Regardless, I also think that apart from the symbolism argument, another reason why the choker actually affects Accelerator importantly in the story can be seen in how he is forced to live his daily life.

He needs to use his power sparingly because he doesn't want his battery to run out of juice. This has actually made him a lot more like Touma because he's been forced to get by with using his power much less. This was originally highlighted when he first forayed further into the darkness of AC, but it has been expanded on again and again by now...

Accelerator represents that character who was so OP he could essentially do anything with ease. Now he's literally not only half as dumb, but also he constantly has to think ahead to make sure that not only can he live his life normally, but also have enough power to protect those persons that are now dear to him.

I think that battle-wise Levelseven might have a point. I'm not sure how such things work, though I'd be tempted to assume that AC has advanced enough tech that it's obvious that the method Levelseven suggested wouldn't work. Regardless, I agree with the others, the strength of that incident is in its symbolism and meaning, not in how it makes his battles harder.

Struggling to live as a cripple is a lot more interesting than seeing harder battles. And let's get real. He does have harder battles. The hard part is that he can't use his power OUTSIDE of the battles, and this naturally makes every part he appears in (which foreshadows a battle) more serious and tense because he needs to be careful.

Anyway, though, man, just a few more weeks. I'm quite excited for this. School is killing me lol.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 04:14   Link #103
LevelSeven

Spoiler for @entei:

Quote:
So today we find out LevelSeven isn't that big of an Accelerator fan.
dont blame me,
it is hard to be a fan of a char you barely see in 2 or so years

as for rest of your post: entei and me arent discussing about the character, dniv mentioned it better :') thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
Shouldn't all these post about Accelerator be move to the Accelerator Thread?
i would if i could find his character discussion thread, in the index-section i didnt find it

@dniv

im not actually referring to accel per se but to his enemys,
they look stupid for not using such a obvious weakness, and even if it is protected, they didnt even use it in order to find it out, there would have been no negative effects on the outcome of the fight if they did that but (as with firearms and touma) the enemys dont use such methods at least once, if they failed due to him having a contermeasure this discussion wouldnt happen

Last edited by LevelSeven; 2016-10-17 at 04:27.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 05:58   Link #104
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

You're actually heavily mistaken on why this was brought up, dniv. It has nothing to do with his fight-related argument or the fact that he hasn't been replying... which is, I hope you'll forgive me for this, kind of a stupid idea seeing how my post was tackling an entirely different issue than entei08's making it that therefore I didn't exactly need a reply to that post before making mine and the same goes for Loremaster who only posted minutes after myself.

What I was replying to is not that EMP vs Choker matter, it's this very mistaken statement:

Quote:
pre-headshot accel would still have the same problems and reach the same place in-story while also making his enemys look intelligent since they devised ways to actually be a challenge,
Anyone having at least read Old Testament would know this is as untrue and this especially coming from someone who focuses on the Accelerator parts of the novels. Pre-headshot Accelerator would have never reached as far as he did thanks to the testament of his brain injury. I don't care what anyone thinks or says about how logical that choker is, that fact will never change no matter how flawed the choker is.

That choker changed Accelerator's life, the significance behind it reflects Accelerator's wishes of a more normal life than being forced in mass-murdering experiments even if he knows that he'll never be able to get rid of the lingering darkness in him. It's the symbol of his first successful attempt to do so anyway on August 31st, and a sign that he's at least trying to continue protecting the people he cares about rather than fall in his old psychotic ruts by dejectedly accepting the city's reality without even the slightest amount of opposition; all that to ensure Last Order's safety even if he can't grant his own wish of a family life, as Loremaster said.

I enjoy Accelerator as a character no matter how long it's been since we've last seen him. I find it disrespectful to therefore deny his entire hard-earned growth as a character as means of making a fight more "difficult but actually not wtf choker" because, again, pre-headshot Accelerator would have gone completely differently without the constant reminder of what happened on August 31st. Had the brain injury and choker not been there, I find it even doubtful Accelerator still would be around as a protagonist let alone one of the better-developed character of the series.

@LevelSeven: Here you go. It seems to be in the Index anime subforum however, so I don't think you'll be able to use it as an outlet to discuss anything about Accelerator at your leisure in terms of both OT and NT content. I guess you could always try your hand at requesting a light-novel specific thread instead for less restrictions if it's a problem? Not sure, though I'm actually curious as to why we have so few character discussion threads in this subforum in the first place... Lack of introduction of any relevant character that truly needs it as opposed to the protagonists/main characters who already have many places to be discussed in? I've no clue.

Last edited by Natsurin; 2016-10-17 at 06:14.
Natsurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 08:05   Link #105
entei08

Spoiler for to levelseven:
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 08:18   Link #106
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
Anyone having at least read Old Testament would know this is as untrue and this especially coming from someone who focuses on the Accelerator parts of the novels. Pre-headshot Accelerator would have never reached as far as he did thanks to the testament of his brain injury. I don't care what anyone thinks or says about how logical that choker is, that fact will never change no matter how flawed the choker is.

That choker changed Accelerator's life, the significance behind it reflects Accelerator's wishes of a more normal life than being forced in mass-murdering experiments even if he knows that he'll never be able to get rid of the lingering darkness in him. It's the symbol of his first successful attempt to do so anyway on August 31st, and a sign that he's at least trying to continue protecting the people he cares about rather than fall in his old psychotic ruts by dejectedly accepting the city's reality without even the slightest amount of opposition; all that to ensure Last Order's safety even if he can't grant his own wish of a family life, as Loremaster said.

I enjoy Accelerator as a character no matter how long it's been since we've last seen him. I find it disrespectful to therefore deny his entire hard-earned growth as a character as means of making a fight more "difficult but actually not wtf choker" because, again, pre-headshot Accelerator would have gone completely differently without the constant reminder of what happened on August 31st. Had the brain injury and choker not been there, I find it even doubtful Accelerator still would be around as a protagonist let alone one of the better-developed character of the series.
the stuff you mention right now dont address what i and entei actually talked about,
im saying that kamachi wasted a really good opportunity to showcase enemys who are willing to use any possible method to win against accel and him becoming able to overcome it via comrades or other means,
it is simply that the enemys look stupid for not using methods that are possible for them, which could grant them the victory fairly easily and even if they dont work, they could still use their original plans too....

and for the quote you used, i do think he would reach the same situation even without the brain injury,
i cant remember a instance where the existence of the choker was the significant key for his development into the current personality he has...
Quote:
@LevelSeven: Here you go. It seems to be in the Index anime subforum however, so I don't think you'll be able to use it as an outlet to discuss anything about Accelerator at your leisure in terms of both OT and NT content. I guess you could always try your hand at requesting a light-novel specific thread instead for less restrictions if it's a problem? Not sure, though I'm actually curious as to why we have so few character discussion threads in this subforum in the first place... Lack of introduction of any relevant character that truly needs it as opposed to the protagonists/main characters who already have many places to be discussed in? I've no clue.
thanks, the upcoming answers i will than post on that part somehow i didnt see it despite going through the open threads

as for the relevant chars: i think the reason was because of the lack of focus, some appear only so rarely that we cant really talk a lot over them and some only appear for a specific volume (and than maybe for small bits and pieces but very rarely for the big plot), all in all i guess the lack of focus on chars other than the current main ones (namely touma and mikoto) doesnt allow us to have a lot of infos for in-depth discussion of them

i find it sad, some of kamisatos harem seem interesting, and kamisato himself could be interesting too if we had more...but until now he is...meh
at least we should get more infos about aleister, he is out of his tube, come on kamachi, some one-chapter-long flashback wouldnt be to much to ask for

@entei

i posted it here: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...58#post5966358

Last edited by LevelSeven; 2016-10-17 at 08:54.
Old 2016-10-17, 13:36   Link #107
vixyw

Talking about EMPs and Accelerator, it would be nice if he appeared this volume. I really want to know how he dealt with the heatwave and, specially, the microwaves. If his choker is not fried by now we have our answer: EMPs are useless against him. (though it's not gonna happen, is it?)
vixyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 13:44   Link #108
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

It'd be fun to see whether Accelerator was rendered into a slurring mess absolutely trolled by Last Order and Worst, but I'm not actually sure that at this point that we'll get anything other than a vague mention of how he dealt with it now that the heat wave's gone.

That said, all I'm hoping for in this volume really is a conclusion to the Kamisato story whether Touma manages to save him or not; if we're going for another convenient NT10 asspull of literally throwing away all sense of tension by going back on a character's fate, I'm not sure I'm going to be enjoying this. Whatever we get, I hope we get it all the way through and besides, while Kamisato's development over the course of the past few novels has been at least more enjoyable than his introduction, I think it's about time that chapter comes to an end.

Honestly though, about this whole EMP thing, considering we're talking about a choker that makes a connection to a brainwave network and exploits it to compensate for Accelerator's language and calculation abilities when not even the original can even access it despite her electric mastery, I'm really not sure it's made to be a device as simplistic as "nuke it with an EMP" even if it has many flaws. Not to mention that this is Academy City technology, I can't fathom that city of 20 years of technological progress over the rest of the world being screwed over by something like an EMP and pretty much everyone who fought Accelerator had one reason or another to not make use of a specially crafted one should that even exists.
Old 2016-10-17, 13:50   Link #109
vixyw

Quote:
Honestly though, about this whole EMP thing, considering we're talking about a choker that makes a connection to a brainwave network and exploits it to compensate for Accelerator's language and calculation abilities when not even the original can even access it despite her electric mastery, I'm really not sure it's made to be a device as simplistic as "nuke it with an EMP" even if it has many flaws. Not to mention that this is Academy City technology, I can't fathom that city of 20 years of technological progress over the rest of the world being screwed over by something like an EMP and pretty much everyone who fought Accelerator had one reason or another to not make us of a specially crafted one if that even exists.
Even though I agree with you, the city electronics had already gone to hell with microwaves... the choker's battery at the very least should be affected, unless even the battery is somehow special.

(Come to think of it, I already forgot how the AAA managed to keep working... Damn my memory)
Old 2016-10-17, 13:54   Link #110
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

Oh, I definitely wouldn't argue against the heatwave point since no one was expecting an outsider Kamisato to heat up the city with microwaves to such a dangerous degree just to fight back the Elements and it's entirely possible the choker could simply melt, lol. I just find the EMP point to be a little dubious because surely that's something either Heaven Canceller or Accelerator at least considered with the choker's modifications since EMPs aren't unheard of? I just can't imagine that for a city as technologically spread as Academy City, they could do in their carefully crafted devices with a simple EMP.

As for the AAA, I really don't think it was affected in the first place with or without Mikoto's assistance? It's not a simple piece of technology you see on the streets either and Mikoto couldn't have been diverting the microwave's electromagnetic waves all this time even when apart from the AAA. It's either completely unaffected, or I may be forgetting something that was mentioned about it protecting itself from the heatwave.
Old 2016-10-17, 14:04   Link #111
vixyw

Well... that implying that AC has nothing but "Simple EMP", if you know what I mean. They could have developed some kind of super EMP that deals with these counter measures or something, but that's going way too deep into the speculation territory.

EDIT: At any rate, if the EMP was used when his choker is in esper mode, he could just redirect the Electromagnetic waves anyway...

Last edited by vixyw; 2016-10-17 at 14:14.
Old 2016-10-17, 14:14   Link #112
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

Indeed, hence "should that even exist". But I still stand by the belief that the choker would at least have measures so as to not be screwed over and unusable the moment an EMP of any normal sort (at least) goes around when it's not specifically targeted towards Accelerator. What if he just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time?

They could have carefully crafted a special anti-Accelerator EMP, but for us to determine that we'd need to understand the choker's structure and workings to begin with to understand how that special EMP is countering any anti-EMP measures. Considering it's a device linking a brain to a brainwave network normally completely incompatible with it, that's going to be hard and all would probably go, as you said, into speculative territory at the point where we discuss "super EMPs" and "brain linking chokers" anyway. Since I like to think the science side has always been a little more elaborated than "BOOM SPECIAL EMP TAKE THAT" so...

At the end of the day, though, I doubt it matters. As entei08 said, the enemies who faced Accelerator had reasons to confront him in their own ways; there is significance in their actions and their way of fighting that made them more than just stock villains to throw at him and I actually praise Kamachi for thinking a bit deeper about "what could hurt Accelerator while showcasing of his opponent's personality" rather than "TAKE THIS, SPECIAL ANTI-ACCELERATOR NUKING EMP!!!!!!!!!!".
Old 2016-10-17, 14:37   Link #113
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
<spittake>

What. Have. I. Missed?
LevelSeven has more love for EMPs than Accelerator that is what you missed. Check his defence of EMP use lol. No, I'm not knocking him even though I disagree with his viewpoint, just can't help but chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
Shouldn't all these post about Accelerator be move to the Accelerator Thread?

Which NT17 coming out soon what would you want to see for the coming Climax of the Current Story Arc?

Which I believe will start on NT18 or NT19 and End on NT20 or NT21.

I myself want an event that will drive Touma out of AC for a Story Arc until at least the end of said Story Arc or after said Story Arc is done.

I think it would be good for Touma Character Growth to lose his HomeBase of AC for a Story Arc and also increase our understanding of the World or even bring back some of the Magic Characters and give them a bigger role because Touma can't use AC for a homebase anymore so he has to use somewhere else like maybe England or his Parents House which could give us more stuff about Touma unknown past.
Well, Academy city is in ruin now, so just one more push and this may happen. It has been made clear by various characters that the fate of that city isn't of importance as long they achieve their ultimate aim of System. And if you ask me the AAA can be a perfect way to force a SYSTEM. One of my guesses on how things would progress connecting Railgun manga events, because that is canon before anyone denies it. But the Level Six shift on Misaka is going to come back to haunt the characters.

AAA in her hands may not replicate the same it did before when used against HP. But can somebody confirm with me what is actually stopping Aleister to randomly giving her a boost of his own power through the AAA at any time? Drunk on power could turn her further into the darkness.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 14:38   Link #114
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

@Natsurin alright then. Replying to that line in particular makes sense. I agree that he would be in a completely different situation had that incident not happened. Though seeing as how Levelseven seemed to have agreed with me, I'm still unsure as to whether he was actually talking about the character development or not. After all, it seemed to me like he was simply complaining about the implications of the incident symbolism aside--like it was a half-assed attempt at transforming Accel--but it could have gone further. But that's just my interpretation.

Lol, apparently being heavily mistaken is my thing--not just slightly mistaken. Regardless, Accelerator is my second favorite Index character so I understand why all of you are taking the time to talk about his development.

Even though I think Touma is more interesting as a character because his archetype is so impossible... Accelerator is much realer and has a very interesting set of imperfections & development over time that just draw the audience to appreciate him. He is most certainly the darkest character that I have truly grown to admire--especially considering that I really hated his guts at first. Of course, Kamachi is good at making us eventually like in-series villains, but Accelerator is the first such major villain (Styl doesn't count...) and so he holds a special place in my heart lol.

@OH&S You have missed absolutely nothing lol. Just more shenanigans where we overexaggerate everyday things.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-17, 14:46   Link #115
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

Stiyl was a boss taking that punch as the first villain.

Respect for the fire mage, let his blaze shine brighter than a thousand suns. But I'm also glad Accelerator got shot in the head, because when Arc 3 hit, the scope of his powers was really on the line on OP and if that headshot never happened I may have lost interest in this series. The event really made his fights rather interesting and his depowering to his current level was probably the best form of character development for any character in OT as a whole and this is praise from me.
Old 2016-10-17, 15:20   Link #116
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixyw View Post
Talking about EMPs and Accelerator, it would be nice if he appeared this volume. I really want to know how he dealt with the heatwave and, specially, the microwaves. If his choker is not fried by now we have our answer: EMPs are useless against him. (though it's not gonna happen, is it?)
a really strong electric discharge is the only one where a EMP happens naturally, at least as far as i know (and i dont know much about it)
plus, microwaves arent exactly what makes up a EMP

anyway, it would have been cool seeing accel in another clothes, maybe in some short pants?
Quote:
LevelSeven has more love for EMPs than Accelerator that is what you missed. Check his defence of EMP use lol. No, I'm not knocking him even though I disagree with his viewpoint, just can't help but chuckle.
only want to say: im not talking BS, i got that stuff from the internet
that stuff is actually rather interesting
Quote:
Honestly though, about this whole EMP thing, considering we're talking about a choker that makes a connection to a brainwave network and exploits it to compensate for Accelerator's language and calculation abilities when not even the original can even access it despite her electric mastery, I'm really not sure it's made to be a device as simplistic as "nuke it with an EMP" even if it has many flaws. Not to mention that this is Academy City technology, I can't fathom that city of 20 years of technological progress over the rest of the world being screwed over by something like an EMP and pretty much everyone who fought Accelerator had one reason or another to not make use of a specially crafted one should that even exists.
i first didnt want to answer and i dont want to talk more about this topic but now that you said this stuff i bolded,
can you tell me which? chars that want to defeat accel had all the morereason to use it, chars that want to stop him from doing something also had the reason to do it, only one i can understand is OT15 kakine (and maybe NT6 kakine with his massive ego) who wanted to prove his strength to aleister(but did he want a fair fight or only kill accel? if it was the latter a EMP would have been a option again :/)

@dniv
i agreed with the char-development part...

Last edited by LevelSeven; 2016-10-17 at 15:31.
Old 2016-10-17, 15:37   Link #117
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

I don't have a reason to mindlessly repeat what entei08's been telling you over and over again seeing how I fully agree with his point of view down to his understanding of how villains aren't just "villains", so I suggest you actually go back and pay attention to what he was telling you instead of being stubborn. I think it's fairly rude to act as if no one had explained their viewpoints to you when he literally did so all day and you'd understand what I was getting at if you focused on what he said in the first place regarding the characters, because yes, villains are characters, rather than on this whole EMP nonsense.
Old 2016-10-17, 15:48   Link #118
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

Look now enough with the EMPs. lol We understand what you saying but this is just absurd ��

Back on novel discussion though, do anybody think we will hear more of the Railgun girls this novel? I mean Touma is fighting a bunch of girls, getting some on his side couldn't help. And what about the ITEM group? Number six?!? And where is Accelerator and Last Order? I want these answered and more this volume.

Don't let me down NT17
Old 2016-10-17, 15:58   Link #119
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

While it'd be enjoying, I think she's not going to have that much spotlight in this novel solely because she doesn't have relations to Kamisato in the slightest, let alone WR. It could be something a la NT15 where her focus is off to the side like her interactions with Salome, but considering it was made clear her development would span over multiple volumes I'd say to not hold too many hopes here considering she's been a big player in NT15 and NT16.

I'd assume this is a break volume, honestly. I'd actually hold more hopes from NT18 and can only wish from NT17 that it doesn't asspull something like Fairy Othinus. I still feel bitter about that.
Old 2016-10-17, 16:42   Link #120
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I don't think any of them will be involved, if Kamachi didn't do with WWIII and NT10 don't expect that here either.

Actually I have within my expectation to have Touma betrayed by Fran. Be it due to him being spinless and not living up to her expectations or due to her never really siding with him for real.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote