AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the British Remain or Leave the EU.
Remain 24 55.81%
Leave 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-06-24, 09:29   Link #121
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
i wonder what happens to northern ireland now

won't this just coax the ira to go blowing up stuff a lot more?
Northern Irelands situation is now kinda similar to that of Scotland.

Sinn Féin (Leading Republican part in NI) are already calling for a boarder vote for a united Ireland, since a large percentage of NI counties favored to remain. They probably wont get it but it wont stop them crying about it anyway.

Lots of folks who voted leave have little idea of how the leave vote will effect Northern Ireland, which is the only part of the UK that shares an open boarder with an EU member (Republic of Ireland) and thats pretty disheartening.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 09:56   Link #122
DerGilga
Banned

So this Nigel Farage guy seems to be a pretty big guy in the brexit movement...
interview this morning when the mighty british nation left the small and week EU
article
I guess this now means that instead of giving all that money to the EU the English will now give all that money to the commonwealth and still the EU because soon you have to pay duty?

I wonder how pissed the Scots and north Irish are right now....
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 11:06   Link #123
Brother Coa
Banned

This video pretty much explain it all.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 11:26   Link #124
Key Board
Carbon

It's a complex world.

but many people get their information from liars

This is why this happened
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 11:37   Link #125
MCAL

And judging from what I've seen lots of leavers didn't think their vote would matter or don't even know what leaving the EU could actually mean. It's a pretty bad day for common sense that's for sure.

"Woman on Radio 4 who voted Leave. "I'm pleased. Don't think it'll affect us cause we're elderly. For the young people I'm not sure.""
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 11:38   Link #126
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

That video a few posts above is so heavily painted in pro-brexit sentiment it hardly shows an objective view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGilga View Post
So this Nigel Farage guy seems to be a pretty big guy in the brexit movement...
interview this morning when the mighty british nation left the small and week EU
article
I guess this now means that instead of giving all that money to the EU the English will now give all that money to the commonwealth and still the EU because soon you have to pay duty?

I wonder how pissed the Scots and north Irish are right now....
Nigel Farage is just a mad barking dog. The real driving force behind the brexit is Johnson, who unfortunately is also likely to succeed Cameron as the prime minister.

Regardless, it will take at least two years for the UK to actually leave the EU so it's not like the money will be instantly available. And nobody knows how the government is going to use the money - the money that is left after buying access to the free market which won't be much.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 12:10   Link #127
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Why I am apparently hating conservatives is unclear, especially since you're the only one talking about them.

Meanwhile I'd be grateful if you could drop the personal attacks.
Old 2016-06-24, 12:15   Link #128
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
And judging from what I've seen lots of leavers didn't think their vote would matter or don't even know what leaving the EU could actually mean. It's a pretty bad day for common sense that's for sure.
S(tupid)M(inded)H(umans)... that's the first word that comes to mind when people don't know what's the meaning behind their vote in any election/referendum.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2016-06-24 at 12:32.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 12:37   Link #129
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Somehow this Brexit vote, rather than make the United Kingdom stronger and independent from Europe, may have doomed it with how Scotland and Northern Ireland are now talking about having their own referendums, the economic backslash from the rest of the world and might begin a chain reaction causing other European countries to follow suit.
Old 2016-06-24, 12:51   Link #130
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulinard View Post
Oh come on several pages ago you said people like Farage need to leave politic, not to mention your hatred toward Trump in Orlando shooting post.

Did you have short memory?
Apparently you have the short memory, because Eisdrache never said Farage needs to leave politics.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 12:55   Link #131
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulinard View Post
Oh come on several pages ago you said people like Farage need to leave politic, not to mention your hatred toward Trump in Orlando shooting post.

Did you have short memory?
A whooping zero posts in the gay club shooting thread, a single post that contains the word Farage, which by the way is on this very page would like to disagree with you. It's known that I have a very low opinion about Trump but 'hate' is a complete fabrication of your imagination. Again.

Any other easily refutable rumours? Let's stop this nonsense now and go back on topic.
Old 2016-06-24, 14:09   Link #132
yulinard

Oh sorry I missread other people post.
yulinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 14:59   Link #133
DerGilga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
"Woman on Radio 4 who voted Leave. "I'm pleased. Don't think it'll affect us cause we're elderly. For the young people I'm not sure.""
Link? That amount of stupidity is hard to believe....

one the other hand

Source:Reddit
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 15:05   Link #134
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Regardless, it will take at least two years for the UK to actually leave the EU so it's not like the money will be instantly available. And nobody knows how the government is going to use the money - the money that is left after buying access to the free market which won't be much.
Technically it will be at most two years. The article that will be invoked (not yet) will set 2 years at the upper, not lower, limit.

Of course if negotiations go over time they'll just make an extension. Barring Boris Johnson desperately dragging it on (and he will, because the Leave fuckers have no plan whatsoever on what to do), it won't take that long. EU wants them out, now.

Moreover, right now European economies will be on a holding pattern vis-a-vis Britain, and the less uncertainty, the better for everyone. UBS, et al are waiting to know if they can keep their London offices open and fully staffed or if they need to get in on that Frankfurt real estate market ASAP. Millions of EU citizens are uncertain about their status and will not be able to commit a future either way.

And like a perfectly selfish shithead (i.e. a Leave voter :P), I have some liquid capital and I'm now looking for ways to profit from the volatility. Any takers? Invest in the Pound? Wait for a recession to fully set in? Buy skyscrapers in Frankfurt?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 15:32   Link #135
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
And like a perfectly selfish shithead (i.e. a Leave voter :P), I have some liquid capital and I'm now looking for ways to profit from the volatility. Any takers? Invest in the Pound? Wait for a recession to fully set in? Buy skyscrapers in Frankfurt?
Time to get rich eh?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 15:42   Link #136
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Time to get rich eh?
never let a good crisis go to waste.
Old 2016-06-24, 15:55   Link #137
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Technically it will be at most two years. The article that will be invoked (not yet) will set 2 years at the upper, not lower, limit.

Of course if negotiations go over time they'll just make an extension. Barring Boris Johnson desperately dragging it on (and he will, because the Leave fuckers have no plan whatsoever on what to do), it won't take that long. EU wants them out, now.

Moreover, right now European economies will be on a holding pattern vis-a-vis Britain, and the less uncertainty, the better for everyone. UBS, et al are waiting to know if they can keep their London offices open and fully staffed or if they need to get in on that Frankfurt real estate market ASAP. Millions of EU citizens are uncertain about their status and will not be able to commit a future either way.

Euro first, then hedge with the pound. Remember EU has a pretty nice debt runup.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 16:13   Link #138
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
If we only count on getting back their net contribution. If we count the total contribution, I don't know. Another way to look at it is that they get back control of the money the EU spent on the UK. They may wish to spend it differently.

Quote:

Of course if negotiations go over time they'll just make an extension.
The EU countries would have to agree, and the UK has more to lose in a brutal break than the rest of us. So if they try to play chicken with that deadline, I hope we won't blink.

OTOH, that 2 years countdown only starts when they officially announce they want to leave, and that referendum isn't legally binding. They may chose to drag their feet there. I don't know what that would do.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 17:02   Link #139
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^June 23, 2020, Boris Johnson finally invokes Article 50. 3 minutes later the United Kingdom's membership in the EEA is declared null and void, the City of London formally secedes from the Union, with a recently re-elected Sadiq Khan as its first Sovereign Lord Mayor...?

Okay, probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Time to get rich eh?
I'll need the Benjamins to wipe my tears as I mourn the rise of conservatism, the slow death of humanism and idealism in the face of tribal hatred.

I'm going to need lots of Benjamins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Euro first, then hedge with the pound. Remember EU has a pretty nice debt runup.
Depending on how the EU reacts we may yet see another wave of market fluctuations, I don't know man.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 18:03   Link #140
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Depending on how the EU reacts we may yet see another wave of market fluctuations, I don't know man.
Potatoes, you can't go wrong with potatoes.

Tags
politics