AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-19, 10:48   Link #16601
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Yemeni forces kill 21 more protesters in capital
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78H0YS20110919
Old 2011-09-19, 11:31   Link #16602
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Qwikster: Netflix To Split DVD Service Into New Business

Additionally, the new Qwikster will have the standard Netflix Blu-Ray upgrade option as well as a new Video Game upgrade option. Prices will stay the same, the only difference is two companies instead of one.
I fail to see how splitting the company is going to address the underlying problems in the cost model. Wouldn't it just lead to increased costs of operation for both due to the need for separate management structure?
Old 2011-09-19, 13:45   Link #16603
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I fail to see how splitting the company is going to address the underlying problems in the cost model. Wouldn't it just lead to increased costs of operation for both due to the need for separate management structure?
Basically, it now punishes people who opted for both streaming and DVD because the whole freaking price is about the same as ONE movie ticket a month. I will now have to go to two separate sites to maintain accounts, whee.

Netflix's bigger problem hasn't been whining customers (how much do they spend at Starbucks every month?) -- its been the "content providers" buying into cable companies and telcos and then making deals to cut Netflix out of the picture.

This NPR article is a fairly succinct shoot down of the whole idea....
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...er?ft=1&f=1001

And frankly, "Qwikster" SOUNDS like something my grandpa would use, what moron came up with that one?
Old 2011-09-19, 14:41   Link #16604
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Basically, it now punishes people who opted for both streaming and DVD because the whole freaking price is about the same as ONE movie ticket a month. I will now have to go to two separate sites to maintain accounts, whee.

Netflix's bigger problem hasn't been whining customers (how much do they spend at Starbucks every month?) -- its been the "content providers" buying into cable companies and telcos and then making deals to cut Netflix out of the picture.

This NPR article is a fairly succinct shoot down of the whole idea....
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...er?ft=1&f=1001

And frankly, "Qwikster" SOUNDS like something my grandpa would use, what moron came up with that one?
What Netflix and Youtube need to do is become a content producer. They need to produce their own stuff because the current big guys aren't going to sell it to them.
Old 2011-09-19, 15:35   Link #16605
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Price of 1 cinema ticket a month actually seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. And that's for unlimited streaming.

Of course that's still pretty expensive compared to the alternatives.

But to be honest, why the hell would you want DVDs when you're streaming? I could understand wanting DVDs if you had a bad connection (as many of us still do), but I don't see why people would want both.

Overall, I think it's probably a good thing they're splitting the business.
Old 2011-09-19, 15:54   Link #16606
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
What Netflix and Youtube need to do is become a content producer. They need to produce their own stuff because the current big guys aren't going to sell it to them.
This actually started partially because Netflix went that route and the content providers weren't really that happy with the concept.
Old 2011-09-19, 16:40   Link #16607
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
This actually started partially because Netflix went that route and the content providers weren't really that happy with the concept.
The content providers weren't happy with netflix before it went that route. Nothing other then closing their doors will make the content providers happy.
Old 2011-09-19, 17:02   Link #16608
killer3000ad

Mahmood Abbas arrives in New York to push for UN recognition

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-09-19 at 18:40.
Old 2011-09-19, 17:27   Link #16609
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh this will be fun. Let's see what those on the fence do, cause the theory is the US will veto if it goes to the Security Council....unless of course we are seriously outnumbered and it is politically wise to go with it.
Old 2011-09-19, 17:43   Link #16610
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Is it me, or is CNN pandering to right a lot more than usual lately? Even their news anchors seem to have started adopting fox news talking points.
Old 2011-09-19, 18:26   Link #16611
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Is it me, or is CNN pandering to right a lot more than usual lately? Even their news anchors seem to have started adopting fox news talking points.
No, they've always been "center right" leaning and corporate-nice ... but they're basically dropping the pretense. I'm hard pressed to find serious "news" or "news analysis" on there anymore anyway.
Old 2011-09-19, 18:47   Link #16612
james0246

Quote:
Original Programming on Netflix. Plus they started Red Envelope Entertainment, which helps produce and distribute independent films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
But to be honest, why the hell would you want DVDs when you're streaming? I could understand wanting DVDs if you had a bad connection (as many of us still do), but I don't see why people would want both.
1.) Even if you have a good connection, the quality of the programs is sub-DVD and way below Blu-Ray.

2.) They have tens of thousands of DVDs, but only a thousand or so streaming films.

That being said, I primarily use streaming to watch television series. It's too much of a hassle to get individual discs for a series (especially since I only get 2 discs at a time), so adding a TV series to Instant Queue is fast, easy and efficient.
Old 2011-09-19, 19:40   Link #16613
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
The NRA should have used him as target practice.

Quote:
The content providers weren't happy with netflix before it went that route. Nothing other then closing their doors will make the content providers happy.
Content providers or content consumers?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-19, 19:44   Link #16614
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The NRA should have used him as target practice.

Content providers or content consumers?
Dude, you can have a beef with him if you want, but that crosses the line man.
Old 2011-09-19, 19:56   Link #16615
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The NRA would have no issue with him. They use guns freely. and RPGS, and bombs, and other weapons.
Old 2011-09-19, 20:09   Link #16616
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The NRA would have no issue with him. They use guns freely. and RPGS, and bombs, and other weapons.
I thought that in the NRA there are elements who believe that the effective usage of firearms solves problems.

Mahmoud Abbas is simply trying to garner sympathy votes so he can wage a legal war against Israel because once Palestine becomes a state, any Israeli attempts at killing various Hamas or Palestine terrorists would be counted as a breach of sovereign rights and considered a pretext for AOW.

Yes, I do agree with a Palestine statehood, but not when the pretext is simply to form a base for a Muslim coalition to wage war - there are many Muslims in the Mideast who would subscribe to the Shariah idea of "A Muslim must help his own brother" and band together to destroy Israel.

At that point, Israel would have become a perfect target for test running terrorist attacks. Even JI would venture there to test their skills, the real concern is the aftermath where there would be significantly more radicals than moderate Muslims around the world.

The real problem is with the Israeli "Big Corp" aka property developers, as well as their right-wing parties. And the anti-semite groups aren't helping by attempting to bomb the civilian population out of Jerusalem.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-19, 20:39   Link #16617
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
1.) Even if you have a good connection, the quality of the programs is sub-DVD and way below Blu-Ray.

2.) They have tens of thousands of DVDs, but only a thousand or so streaming films.

That being said, I primarily use streaming to watch television series. It's too much of a hassle to get individual discs for a series (especially since I only get 2 discs at a time), so adding a TV series to Instant Queue is fast, easy and efficient.
@1 : there's nothing stopping them from having DVD or even BD quality streams. Youtube has been doing it for years.

@2: Then should put those dvds onto streaming...

I don't even see why someone want to wait the several days required for a DVD, when more illicit methods can give you the movie in question in a matter of hours, or even minutes (If you're lucky to have such a godly line).

Long term, netflix's DVD service is DOOMED.
Old 2011-09-19, 21:14   Link #16618
GDB

Quote:
I don't even see why someone want to wait the several days required for a DVD, when more illicit methods can give you the movie in question in a matter of hours, or even minutes (If you're lucky to have such a godly line).

Because some people like to burn a copy of the movie for later storage.
Old 2011-09-19, 21:26   Link #16619
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
@1 : there's nothing stopping them from having DVD or even BD quality streams. Youtube has been doing it for years.

You obviously don't live in the US where "streaming" sucks for half the population and they have draconian usage caps

We only have time to watch a movie or two a week. DVD/Blu-ray mailers work perfectly for us. Instant gratification not necessary. We do stream on occasion but where we live there *is*no*land*internet better than 26.4kbps and we're only a mile or so from a major Intel Corp. facility. We're in a "telco/cable shadow" -- much of the US lives in this sort of mess. Until that is rectified, there is a huge market for DVD mailers.

I use a wireless ISP... its fine for gaming and file - ddl (anime mostly) but it is only 3mb/sec though we're working with them to improve that.

We stream on occasion... but even with buffers set to max, it stutters occasionally (please stand by).

Here's an excellent analysis of Netflix
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix
Old 2011-09-19, 21:27   Link #16620
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The cable Internet providers have no interest in making it easy for Netflix to stream in high-def and erode their television services. Late last year Comcast got into a dispute with Level 3 over pricing for Netflix streams. Estimates suggest that Netflix streams account for as much as a quarter of all bandwidth used by residential consumers during the evening viewing hours. Those people aren't watching regular TV, never mind the more profitable video-on-demand services that cable operators offer. Those services compete directly with Netflix streaming.

Then there are various problems with the studios over release windows and the like.

Remember, Netflix began by going to Wal-Mart and buying lots of DVDs then mailing them to its customers. The studios got nothing from this business because Netflix, like other video rental businesses, was protected by the first-sale doctrine. They don't have that protection when it comes to streams. They have to buy the rights to stream films directly from the studios themselves.

Quote:
They don't own the rights to stream most of those films.

Quote:
The entire industry acts as if unauthorized distribution simply doesn't exist except when they want to cry piracy to Congress. I've never seen anyone at the studios or at the distributors like Netflix even hint that they face competition from unauthorized distribution.* To be sure, vast swathes of the American television-viewing public never have, and probably never will, obtain a television show or movie from torrents. I suspect the studios and distributors would prefer that those viewers not become aware of this alternative distribution channel.

*I'm using the phrase "unauthorized distribution" only to avoid getting the usual complaints from people here when I use terms like "illegal" or "piracy" to describe what is, in fact, illegal distribution of media content in violation of the US Code.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international