AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: So how good is it?
10 7 17.50%
9 12 30.00%
8 12 30.00%
7 9 22.50%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-04, 16:03   Link #21
Amray

I am yet to buy this, although knowing my family and the people in it I doubt that I will have to. We all love fighters here. XP
I have the feeling that me and my step-father will be playing this endlessly just like we did the previous games. Soul Calibur IV looks amazing and I am quite anticipating the time in which I finally get it and play it. Should be decent to play online too, as I did used to play Dead or Alive 4 online non-stop before.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-04, 21:08   Link #22
Monkey D. Luffy

Another way to defeat The Apprentice is by letting him wear himself out using the force, he uses it almost every attack. Wait for him to use overuse it and when he does he'll grab his head and mutter some words, that's when you can get some big damage on him.

Just keep a bit of a distance and be sure to block whenever he attacks. He's so fast that he'll do one of those grabs that take quite a bit of health off or he'll combo you to death. I've only managed to beat him once ^^;.

I do like his design though, the attire he's wearing and the way he holds his Lightsaber definitely gives him style points.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 10:39   Link #23
TrueKnight

Hey you guys. Been lurking at gamefaqs and just want to share that this girl (Heather Hogan) is the one who voiced Amy in the ENG.

http://tinyurl.com/5uk96k

Pwn'd.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 13:31   Link #24
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
I really like it. I didn't play 3 at all so I'm not sure how it compares, but I was a big fan of SC2 and this feels very similar to that, so I like it. I haven't tried everything yet so I won't give it a number rating just yet, though.

But, I hated fighting the Apprentice in Arcade mode. He feels broken, but I guess if you are a seasoned Soul Calibur veteran it's probably easier to deal with him. I ended up using a customized Cassandra with Soul Calibur as her sword to beat him.
Captain Yoruichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 14:05   Link #25
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Just so you know, in all the tier lists I've seen up until now, the Apprentice ranks at the very bottom. Sophitia and Cassandra, as usual, are on top. Raphael now ranks as top tier, too, since he apparently got a tracking BB this time around.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 14:23   Link #26
Takuto19
Yarrrr

I think its great, been playing it over the weekend and been enjoying it, Soul Caliburs is my fav gameplay in a fighting game heh, overall fantastic game although i feel the story mode was better in Soul Calibur 3.

Online is fun as well, doesn't take too long to level up either so it doesn't have that grinding feel to it.
Old 2008-08-05, 15:48   Link #27
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Just so you know, in all the tier lists I've seen up until now, the Apprentice ranks at the very bottom. Sophitia and Cassandra, as usual, are on top. Raphael now ranks as top tier, too, since he apparently got a tracking BB this time around.
Just curious, where does Xianghua typically rank on these lists you have looked at? I always used to see everyone put her at the top for the previous installments, and to me she feels a lot weaker this time around. Though the level I play at isn't even close to where tiers can be a deciding factor so I am definitely not a good judge for that.

Also, speaking of Cassandra, I think she will be my main again this time around. She was in 2 but I switched to Astaroth for 3. My friends pretty much suck at the game and I can typically perfect them just spamming her 236B with a few other moves thrown in. I love that move, it's also great for that annoying tower mode. I have seen lots of people who agonize over what skills to put on their custom guys for it, I just make a team of Cassandra, Cassandra, Custom Character with Cassandra's Stance. It's really easy to trap the AI doing nothing but alternating 236B and 1A. I'm not at the top floor yet so maybe they get smarter there but it's pretty pathetic so far.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 19:27   Link #28
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Xianghua will probably end up around mid tier. She got pretty nerfed in this one, but I'm glad Amy is still as good, if not better than her SC3 AE version. Amy's likely going to end up top since she has a lot of mix ups, safe moves (eg. 33B), and auto-parry stances. On the other hand, Apprentice's main draw back is his lack of low attacks which is one similarity he holds with Hilde who has few lows and hardly any tracking moves. Too bad, too, I had high hopes for Hilde.

Here's something I hope they fix. At least it'll be banned in tourneys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgyWAeqjsk
Old 2008-08-05, 19:43   Link #29
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Xianghua had an insane advantage in SC3 with her 66AB. That single move almost managed to break the entire game, and with the VC bug it helped make the console version unworthy of the SC2 pros' attention. I suppose (though I'm not entirely sure of that) they nerfed that move in the Arcade Edition of SC3, since I saw a couple of Xianghuas in SBO 07 and they didn't abuse it nearly enough.

I haven't watched any gameplay videos of her, but I want to believe they dropped that move from her list in SC4. Though since now we have the possibility of directly applying patches to the game, I have hope for more and more balanced fighters in the future.

Quote:
Here's something I hope they fix. At least it'll be banned in tourneys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgyWAeqjsk
Wow, that's a really silly infinite there. I wonder how the hell they managed to pass that up.

Old 2008-08-05, 21:21   Link #30
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Got it yesterday, and didn't get a chance to play until today. I'm a complete noob at it, but it is a lot of fun. Just need to learn to play it properly now. Haven't played with all the characters yet, I really seem drawn to the small fast characters like Scheherazade. I played the game through with her when I unlocked her, and finished all but one fight Perfect (was on Normal though, I'm imagining against Hard or other people I'd get my ass handed to me). I like Hilde though, she seems like she could put up a good fight somewhat quick close attacks and long slower far reaching attacks.

Still lot of fun, got a lot to learn with special techniques though and proper attacks.
Old 2008-08-06, 00:18   Link #31
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Xianghua got nerfed, some of her old moves arent linking as well and leaves her open for a split second.

wandering knight can u link the places that are saying apprentice is weak because i don't think so. I want to see what they say.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 01:32   Link #32
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

A lot of people loves to use apprentice online, i wonder why.

maybe he is fast and his force attacks are cheap.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 02:41   Link #33
Westlo
Lets be reality

Got in a good 4 hour session at my mates place last night, probably spent 50+ hours versus him in each previous installment of Soul Calibur as well as Soul Blade/Edge. Atm it's my fav installment of the series since the original Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. Has anyone got any tier lists?

Sophitia = <3
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 03:03   Link #34
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

I started playing this game on the PS3 a few days ago and it's really fun. Though I haven't tried playing online yet as I spent 95% of my time going through ToLS. Right now I'm stuck at 45-46F and can't really think of a way of getting passed it. My main (and only) character is Cassandra (have been using only her since SC3) and no matter what I do, I just couldn't beat the first guy in 46F.

I might give online a try tonight and hope that the lag wouldn't be too bad.
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 18:24   Link #35
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
wandering knight can u link the places that are saying apprentice is weak because i don't think so. I want to see what they say.
I haven't read any particular reason for putting him on the bottom (though as Tornix seems to imply, his lack of low attacks might be a strong one), but here you go, from the Calibur forums themselves.

Just so you know, I trust these guys much more than I would trust a random guy on the opener day. Given how the majority of players regard fighting games nowadays, the possibility of the latter being mere scrub remarks without too much investigation behind them (and thus, without any kind of value at all) are pretty high.

To give you a stupid example, most scrubs would put Eddie from Guilty Gear at the last spot in the tier list, when he's actually at the top.

Old 2008-08-06, 19:22   Link #36
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i yoda ever make it to the ps3 and vader make it to the xbox, i can see alot of people on xbox would start playing vader and abandon yoda, and ps3 owners sticks with vader.

But vader lacks low attacks, hmm...

btw, how do vader and yoda rank in the game?
Old 2008-08-06, 20:01   Link #37
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I'm wondering though...

How is it that you can block Yoda and Vader and the Apprentice? I mean they're BEAM swords FFS...wouldn't they just cut *through* anything aside from any enchanted weaponry (Taki's swords/Soul Calibur/etc...)?

Too bad we have no war3 demon hunter in this game.
Old 2008-08-06, 20:06   Link #38
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I haven't read any particular reason for putting him on the bottom (though as Tornix seems to imply, his lack of low attacks might be a strong one), but here you go, from the Calibur forums themselves.

Just so you know, I trust these guys much more than I would trust a random guy on the opener day. Given how the majority of players regard fighting games nowadays, the possibility of the latter being mere scrub remarks without too much investigation behind them (and thus, without any kind of value at all) are pretty high.

To give you a stupid example, most scrubs would put Eddie from Guilty Gear at the last spot in the tier list, when he's actually at the top.
As i suspected, everyone in there is making predictions.

And btw anyone can join that forum and make some bs about stuff.

Apprentice in my mind has potential but we will need a few months to see more of the game to make further substantial judgement.

I stop playing guilty gear competitively after the dreamcast version since they nerfed one of my favorite charactor johnny but potemkin owns that game.

Lets hope blueblaz is online.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 20:21   Link #39
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

how is apprentice lacking low attacks, he beat the crap out of me with his ground base force attacks
Old 2008-08-06, 20:49   Link #40
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
As i suspected, everyone in there is making predictions.
Uuh... what? Did you read? It's what they are more or less gathering from what is known about the game. It's not "predictions", it's based on actual testing.

Quote:
And btw anyone can join that forum and make some bs about stuff.
Lots of people from SRK in that forum. And any scrub would be spotted pretty easily--while I don't doubt that there might be scrubs posting regularly there, most of the userbase there comes from the SC2 pro scene. And really, scrubs aren't known for being particularly hard to spot.

Quote:

I stop playing guilty gear competitively after the dreamcast version since they nerfed one of my favorite charactor johnny but potemkin owns that game.
Proof that you have absolutely no idea how GG is played. While Johnny is at the bottom of the tier, Potemkin is by no means the ultimate ownager. The top tier is comprised by Eddie, Slayer and Testament. GG is probably also the most balanced fighting game around by the way.