AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2021-03-06, 15:46   Link #741
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Come on Rika! Go slam that chair onto Satoko and then end her!

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-07, 07:35   Link #742
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Come on Rika! Go slam that chair onto Satoko and then end her!
I'd laugh if that fragment was actually Looper-Satoko trying to get back at Rika .

That being said, Rika finally told Satoko that things were, to a degree, her own fault. It's not like anyone completely disliked her before she started behaving like a delinquent, so the part about being unable to make friends is total BS.

A thing I wonder about though is... How the heck do Satoko's traps activate? If they really activate just because she is snipping, then she'd have to have an accomplice... I mean, it's not like she can just say "Hey Alexa, activate trap."

In the last episode, they'll probably show us Lamda as directly as they've shown us Bernkastel before. Maybe it will even end as a " And that's how it went" in Beato's tea room.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-07, 08:36   Link #743
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The author never really deemed necessary to explain how Satoko's traps work. For the most part they are used as gags and are almost as magical as the Looney Toons contraptions. Some suspension of disbelief is definitely required especially when you reach the point where Satoko created in a very short time effective traps against trained military, powerful enough to disable them, but without causing any serious injury.

On the subject of the particular trap where she made a whole chandelier fall, you would also need to wonder how exactly she managed to go up there to weaken the chain so that it would break. Did she just conveniently find a ladder long enough? How did she manage to move it there without being seen? Where did she find the necessary tools to weaken something made of metal engineered to hold several hundred kilos? How could she do that without making a lot of noise? The scene also suggests that some sort of explosive was used to break it completely. The most likely explanation is that it was a timed bomb, and Satoko simply precisely and perfectly snapped the finger at the right moment. But the explosion wasn't strong enough to break a metal chain like that, which is why it had to be weakened first. And you still need to wonder when did Satoko became proficient with explosives and how did she find those.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-07, 09:17   Link #744
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The author never really deemed necessary to explain how Satoko's traps work. For the most part they are used as gags and are almost as magical as the Looney Toons contraptions. Some suspension of disbelief is definitely required especially when you reach the point where Satoko created in a very short time effective traps against trained military, powerful enough to disable them, but without causing any serious injury.

On the subject of the particular trap where she made a whole chandelier fall, you would also need to wonder how exactly she managed to go up there to weaken the chain so that it would break. Did she just conveniently find a ladder long enough? How did she manage to move it there without being seen? Where did she find the necessary tools to weaken something made of metal engineered to hold several hundred kilos? How could she do that without making a lot of noise? The scene also suggests that some sort of explosive was used to break it completely. The most likely explanation is that it was a timed bomb, and Satoko simply precisely and perfectly snapped the finger at the right moment. But the explosion wasn't strong enough to break a metal chain like that, which is why it had to be weakened first. And you still need to wonder when did Satoko became proficient with explosives and how did she find those.
It's Lamda magic. Apparently, she is the Witch of Traps.
*Totally forgot what her actual title was*

E: I think it was certainty?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2021-03-07 at 09:57.
Old 2021-03-07, 12:38   Link #745
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
It's Lamda magic. Apparently, she is the Witch of Traps.
*Totally forgot what her actual title was*

E: I think it was certainty?
"Zettai no Majo", translated as "Witch of Certainty" by the Witch Hunt team.

Interestingly Satoko in the latest episode said:

"Kurikaesu mono-tte, kanarazu yume o kanaerareru zettai no chikara datte omotte mashita kedo, sou dewa nai desu wa ne."

"I thought that the ability to loop was a power that can make your dreams come true with certainty, but that's not correct."

This was somehow lost in translation due to the various ways you can translate the word "zettai", in fact in this context "zettai no chikara" should be better translated as "absolute power", "infallible power".

This part was a direct reference to the fact Rika defined the power to find the perfect fragment through infinitely looping as the power of Miracles (kiseki), which is in opposition to Takano's power of certainty. This theme was then transposed to Umineko with Bern as the Witch of Miracles and Lambda as the Witch of Certainty. Satoko thinking in terms of "certainty" instead was no coincidence.

Old 2021-03-07, 19:04   Link #746
MCAL

Quote:

"Kurikaesu mono-tte, kanarazu yume o kanaerareru zettai no chikara datte omotte mashita kedo, sou dewa nai desu wa ne."

"I thought that the ability to loop was a power that can make your dreams come true with certainty, but that's not correct."

This was somehow lost in translation due to the various ways you can translate the word "zettai", in fact in this context "zettai no chikara" should be better translated as "absolute power", "infallible power".

This part was a direct reference to the fact Rika defined the power to find the perfect fragment through infinitely looping as the power of Miracles (kiseki), which is in opposition to Takano's power of certainty. This theme was then transposed to Umineko with Bern as the Witch of Miracles and Lambda as the Witch of Certainty. Satoko thinking in terms of "certainty" instead was no coincidence.
Satoko uses "zettai" in her last line of dialogue in the episode as well.

The whole episode was very unsubtle with the Lambda parallels tbh.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 02:14   Link #747
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Satoko uses "zettai" in her last line of dialogue in the episode as well.

The whole episode was very unsubtle with the Lambda parallels tbh.
Personally I always thought Lamda to be Satoko, rather than Takano.

As for Bern's title... Well she calls it a miracle, but it's not a miracle to roll a 20 on a dice when you just keep rolling...

Old 2021-03-08, 06:27   Link #748
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
As for Bern's title... Well she calls it a miracle, but it's not a miracle to roll a 20 on a dice when you just keep rolling...
Well, she's the witch of miracles, but her favorite line is "miracles don't exist!!!" ahaha.wav
Old 2021-03-08, 08:26   Link #749
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Personally I always thought Lamda to be Satoko, rather than Takano.
But apparently it's both, somehow...

Quote:
That's just what "miracles" are according to Bern. She doesn't believe in the supernatural existence of a deity that can bring salvation out of nowhere. A "miracle" to her is simply an extremely unlikely event, and since she has the power to reach any event no matter how unlikely they are (as long as the probability isn't zero) she self-style herself as the Witch who can bring forth miracles.

Incidentally in the case of the "witch of truth", the "truth" in that isn't quite what people commonly think it is.

Old 2021-03-08, 14:48   Link #750
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
But apparently it's both, somehow...

That's just what "miracles" are according to Bern. She doesn't believe in the supernatural existence of a deity that can bring salvation out of nowhere. A "miracle" to her is simply an extremely unlikely event, and since she has the power to reach any event no matter how unlikely they are (as long as the probability isn't zero) she self-style herself as the Witch who can bring forth miracles.

Incidentally in the case of the "witch of truth", the "truth" in that isn't quite what people commonly think it is.
Is her being both confirmed or fan theory? Because Ryu once said that Lamda looking like young takano is a red herring. (Incidentally, young takano also looks like Satoko...)

Old 2021-03-08, 17:35   Link #751
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Is her being both confirmed or fan theory? Because Ryu once said that Lamda looking like young takano is a red herring. (Incidentally, young takano also looks like Satoko...)
As far as I remember he never said it's a red herring, he just wondered why people thought they are the same. Anyway the point is that not-featherinne as soon as she met Satoko she called her Vier. This is Vier. That is undeniably the Ciconia version of Takano down to details like the green ribbon, which is present in both of Takano sprites (1 2) from the original novel.

Also Satoko never had the same hair color as Lambda, she has the same color as Jessica or Beatrice. Vier, Takano and Lambda have the same hair color. The "takano" characters also have consistently names that can be read as "34" (Vier Dressing means literally 4 30 in German, LambdaDelta is 34 in Greek letters, Miyo can be read as 34 in Japanese). But Satoko has no relation to the number 34, her name can be read as 3105. Incidentally not-featherinne mentioned a LD3105, which could be read as "Miyo Satoko".

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2021-03-08 at 17:46.
Old 2021-03-08, 19:37   Link #752
MCAL

https://higurashianime.com/story/005_023.html

Preview Images for the next episode. Looks like we're getting the Damashi arc answers next episode.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 19:40   Link #753
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
As far as I remember he never said it's a red herring, he just wondered why people thought they are the same. Anyway the point is that not-featherinne as soon as she met Satoko she called her Vier. This is Vier. That is undeniably the Ciconia version of Takano down to details like the green ribbon, which is present in both of Takano sprites (1 2) from the original novel.

Also Satoko never had the same hair color as Lambda, she has the same color as Jessica or Beatrice. Vier, Takano and Lambda have the same hair color. The "takano" characters also have consistently names that can be read as "34" (Vier Dressing means literally 4 30 in German, LambdaDelta is 34 in Greek letters, Miyo can be read as 34 in Japanese). But Satoko has no relation to the number 34, her name can be read as 3105. Incidentally not-featherinne mentioned a LD3105, which could be read as "Miyo Satoko".
Lambdadelta is also voiced by the same seiyuu as loli Takano, for what it's worth.
Old 2021-03-09, 13:28   Link #754
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
https://higurashianime.com/story/005_023.html

Preview Images for the next episode. Looks like we're getting the Damashi arc answers next episode.
Going by the images it looks like we get to see the arc where Ooishi shot everyone.

I wonder how Satoko is going to justify her murder attempt on Keiichi. And yes, I still think she deliberately lead him into a trap there. Which would make her uncle the tool and herself the perpetrator.

Old 2021-03-09, 14:03   Link #755
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

There was a theory that in tataridamashi Satoko actually fell for K1 seeing how much he worked for her sake, and she somehow gave up on her endeavor to make Rika stay in Hinamizawa by learning she could rely on K1 instead, but then things just went wrong on their own. However I think the latest episode pretty much debunked it. It can no longer be argued that it was a first for Satoko right there to see how much K1 cared for her, because she has experienced all the fragments that Rika went through, so she must have seen the same thing happening multiple times.

I think it's pretty much certain that she purposely lured K1 to her house as a trap.

Old 2021-03-09, 14:16   Link #756
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Aye, the question is just who she wanted dead.

But yeah, as I said back when we still saw everything from K1s PoV: The way Satoko behaved there made it feel like a deliberate trap.
I mean, who let's their guest walk through a dark corridor and leaves them in a dark room? I mean, Satoko can be a bit uncouth, but that's hard tobak even for her

Old 2021-03-09, 19:00   Link #757
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They'll probably go through the first two arcs quickly since there really isn't much mystery there, but Tataridamashi should be interesting. Rika has used her friends as tools to torture and kill Rika plenty of times, but why would she need to kill Keiichi?
Old 2021-03-09, 20:59   Link #758
Marina2

Quote:
There was a theory that in tataridamashi Satoko actually fell for K1 seeing how much he worked for her sake, and she somehow gave up on her endeavor to make Rika stay in Hinamizawa by learning she could rely on K1 instead, but then things just went wrong on their own. However I think the latest episode pretty much debunked it. It can no longer be argued that it was a first for Satoko right there to see how much K1 cared for her, because she has experienced all the fragments that Rika went through, so she must have seen the same thing happening multiple times.

I think it's pretty much certain that she purposely lured K1 to her house as a trap.
I guess not!Featherine found that boring and said "No, you're not allow to live peacefully like that, that's boring to watch. Here, allow me to add some trouble"
Old 2021-03-10, 00:59   Link #759
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Thinking about it, I have no idea what Satoko was even doing with Tataridamashi. What could be the possible point there? With her plan to sick Ooishi on the festival there was absolutely no reason to have Keiichi ambushed. Rika would never even find out about that. Even the possibility that Oishi releasing her Uncle wasn't an intented plan doesn't hold up since she clearly lead Keiichi into an ambush.

I don't know. Maybe she's still pissed that Keiichi and Rena had the nerve to change the club once they took over. Or maybe she's just pissed that Keiichi did such a good job in helping Rika achieve her goal of helping her out. Considering what is motivating her to psychologically destroy Rika that wouldn't be much of stretch for Satoko.
Old 2021-03-10, 08:17   Link #760
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I guess another mystery would be why Satoko attacked the Sonozaki estate in the second arc when Rika was already dead and she should have just killed herself to move to the next world. Unless she didn't know whether Rika was dead or just held captive (her corpse was found afterwards IIRC) and went there to make sure.