AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-06-20, 12:01   Link #821
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mars
Alright, here's what's giving me mixed feelings: although I don't remember it being explicitly stated that wishes or curses were permanent, Akira not having her scar in the preview and Hitoe just breaking her curse bother me.

Yuzuki's case makes us think that technically, wishes aren't necessarily supernatural and just consist of things the LRIG thinks she can get done. It may be, and seems to be the case that Kazuki's development was not artificially accelerated. Tht already irked me, given the way it was presented.
Curses however seem to cause physical interference: Hitoe is in physical pain and can not see the writing in her notebook.
Akira has a scar, which first appears in a supernatural red glow. It doesn't seem she could inflict that on herself, nor would it have already been healed if she did.
And now what, Hitoe just overcomes that because of The Power of Friendship.... right. I don't buy that.
I don't know, it seems.. cheap. Or, as if Okada isn't quite sure how she wants her own system to work and is sending out mixed messages as to how things are to be portrayed.
Even if we argue that it's some kind of mental block Hitoe put on herself, I have to suspend my disbelief a bit much here, considering she didn't even know about curses at the time.
And Aki-lucky, what? Gets herself admitted to a good plastics clinic?

The ending however, I liked, although, as I feared, it was somewhat reminiscent of Madoka, while Ruuko's outcome again made me think of Naru Taru. Those comparisons are hard to shake with this show, I find.
But it was sufficiently different that it can stand on its own two feet.
I look forward to seeing the repercussions of these events this fall.

I also enjoyed the grandmother's scenes. Her voice seemed to change occasionally, which was genuinely a bit creepy. I hope it was intended.
Glad to see Midoriko is, after all, fine. That means Piriluk will also still be around. Let's hope she gets herself a better Selector this time around.

Overall, this is a good show. It has some issues, but is relatively solid and definitely very entertaining. I'll miss this show, the wait will be pretty darn long
__________________
http://i59.tinypic.com/hwg5z4.jpg
[RIGHT]
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 12:12   Link #822
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
it seems the game has no absolute power over granting and denying wishes
most lrigs can only grant wishes that were only possible for normal school girls to accomplish.
and as said, Hitoe can apparently fight off her curse will willpower
I'm not sure if the S2 previews are are flashback or not, but in regards Akira, there's always plastic surgery

I guess things might be different if you're a special snowflake like Tama, though

my theory is the game was never meant to fulfill wishes in the first place
the real intention is either
1) to propagate lrigs
2) to make sure that that one special lrig that can grant any wish can never be used
3) both 1) and 2) Meaning that the reason new lrigs are being propagated is to reduce the chance of Tama being drawn out and used

Edit: here's another thing to consider. The OP sequence seems to imply that Tama being unleashed from a prison to be a very bad thing

On another note, I do wonder how exactly would Hanayo try to fulfill Yuzuki's wish had Kazuki been in a normal loving relationship with a normal loving girlfriend and if he didn't have a complex about Yuzuki. I guess Hanayo was lucky.. or in this case.. unlucky.
__________________
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2014-06-20 at 12:30.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 12:46   Link #823
Diveman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fantastic way to end the first season, I can't wait for the next one.
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 13:33   Link #824
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Given the titles, I wonder if they're going for a .hack// title sequence.

First "Infected" and now "Spread". Is there going to be 4 seasons with a "Containment" and "Cure" title? lol (Given .hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine.)
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 13:43   Link #825
Diveman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Well the "infection" is already done, now it's time for it to "spread". There's gotta be a cure somewhere
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 15:04   Link #826
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 39
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Alright, here's what's giving me mixed feelings: although I don't remember it being explicitly stated that wishes or curses were permanent, Akira not having her scar in the preview and Hitoe just breaking her curse bother me.

Yuzuki's case makes us think that technically, wishes aren't necessarily supernatural and just consist of things the LRIG thinks she can get done. It may be, and seems to be the case that Kazuki's development was not artificially accelerated. Tht already irked me, given the way it was presented.
Curses however seem to cause physical interference: Hitoe is in physical pain and can not see the writing in her notebook.
Akira has a scar, which first appears in a supernatural red glow. It doesn't seem she could inflict that on herself, nor would it have already been healed if she did.
And now what, Hitoe just overcomes that because of The Power of Friendship.... right. I don't buy that.
I don't know, it seems.. cheap. Or, as if Okada isn't quite sure how she wants her own system to work and is sending out mixed messages as to how things are to be portrayed.
I more or less agree with you here. Hitoe shaking things off like this is perhaps a bit cheap. But I do have two theories here:

1. Perhaps wish-tainting can be alleviated by becoming a Selector again.

2. Maybe the wish system is all about the power of will. It may or may not be exactly magical, but in any event, it means that Selectors and LRIGs can achieve anything that isn't truly absurd in a scientific sense. So enough will can overcome wish-tainting (to be fair, it clearly was a struggle for Hitoe, at least). I'm particularly fond of this theory, because it would basically resolve what issues I have with the Yuzuki/Kazuki relationship. This theory would also be consistent with how much importance is put on the Selector and her LRIG being of one accord, one will.


If Okada goes with one or both of the above ideas, or leaves these ideas viable interpretations, then I'll be able to roll with that.

Okada definitely is playing a bit fast and loose with the Selector/LRIG/wish system, but the overall execution of the characters and the story are strong enough to make me mostly (if not entirely) let it slide.

The narrative is very engaging, and the latest episode is just very entertaining in general, and so I'm inclined to be a bit more forgiving here. I definitely get where you're coming from, though, and I hope "the system" gets tightened up a bit and/or explained a bit more in the 2nd cour.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 15:25   Link #827
rladls2121
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: California(Current).
No! I don't want to get infected! Players, don't spread!

Get away from any suspcious card games everyone!

If you people find any card that talks, ignore it, don't ever listen to what the card says, and put the talk card away far away as the voice of the cards can't reach anyone.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 17:02   Link #828
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm particularly fond of this theory, because it would basically resolve what issues I have with the Yuzuki/Kazuki relationship.
You mean the fact that it's incest?

Quote:
Okada definitely is playing a bit fast and loose with the Selector/LRIG/wish system, but the overall execution of the characters and the story are strong enough to make me mostly (if not entirely) let it slide.
Honestly it's not much different than the lack of explanation of the system in Madoka. That's not a bad thing, as long as the overall execution is done well. Which I think it has been, for the most part.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 17:23   Link #829
tuckersister
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post

With WIXOSS having black, white, and possibly gray, there's no way to have a colorless entity. If that exists, I'll perceive it as being mute.
Wait, there's gray?? Maybe that's colorless. Also how is a Colorless LRIG considered mute?
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 18:47   Link #830
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 39
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You mean the fact that it's incest?
No, that's not what I meant.

The short answer to what I meant is that it was horribly rushed on Kazuki's end.

The long answer is more detailed than that, but I'll go with just the short answer, at least for now.


Quote:
Honestly it's not much different than the lack of explanation of the system in Madoka.
The Madoka system is very clear-cut. It doesn't need an explanation beyond what is given in the narrative.

The WIXOSS system is much more iffy, so given that fact, I think that Faerie's critiques are fair and understandable. But of course the narrative still has a full cour to work with, so it's quite possible that things will be tightened up later.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 19:19   Link #831
Crossheart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Age: 34
Ok, i just watched the end...

Well played Okada, well played!!
I didn´t see that coming
Crossheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 19:49   Link #832
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

1. Perhaps wish-tainting can be alleviated by becoming a Selector again.
Possibly. It did not magically disappear, Hitoe had to actively fight it. I think I'm okay with it, if becoming a selector again gives you the ability to alleviate wish tainting, but you have to do it yourself, otherwise you are stuck with it no matter what you try.
That could make sense.
Hitoe just shaking it off and Aki simply getting plastic surgery would be disappointing though.
It would be plausible for Hitoe, but if Aki could just get it fixed, it's not much of a curse... Hitoe tried reading her book and she couldn't.
So, if Aki tries to fix her face, it probably shouldn't work either.

Quote:
2. Maybe the wish system is all about the power of will. It may or may not be exactly magical, but in any event, it means that Selectors and LRIGs can achieve anything that isn't truly absurd in a scientific sense. So enough will can overcome wish-tainting (to be fair, it clearly was a struggle for Hitoe, at least). I'm particularly fond of this theory, because it would basically resolve what issues I have with the Yuzuki/Kazuki relationship. This theory would also be consistent with how much importance is put on the Selector and her LRIG being of one accord, one will.
Is this consistent with Aki's case though? Scars don't just magically disappear because you will them to.
Maybe the glowy, magic-like scar we saw at first was just artistic exaggeration or some sort of miscommunication with the animation staff, but still.
Like I said, it's not much of a curse if you just need to visit a surgeon to have it fixed.
This is assuming that the preview footage was supposed to portray her as she appears in S2- if they used old footage to be lazy or (intentionally) mislead, then this point is moot

But yeah, like you said, I'm also willing to let quite a lot slide because of my general enjoyment of the show and normally I do... it just got a bit too fuzzy with the details for me this episode.
Still, it's not a big complaint (more of a question for S2, hopefully) and does not change my overall impression of the show or anything Particularly with a full cour still ahead of us
__________________
http://i59.tinypic.com/hwg5z4.jpg
[RIGHT]
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 19:57   Link #833
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Isn't the vagueness of the wish system in this show done on purpose?
If anything, that's the stick of progression of this series.
It starts off with the too good to be true "battle and get your wish granted" info.
Then we find out 3 strikes, your out.
Then we find out, woah, this whole thing is kind of shady..
and so on.

Just because we don't have all the info laid out bare for us to put the wish system through a courtroom cross-examination doesn't necessary mean the series is inconsistent, its that the whole wish system hasn't been explained. Half the stuff we know so far is conjecture from the players or LIRG themselves who we find out were just regular players, and who knows what half-truths they're taking as fact.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 20:02   Link #834
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Isn't the vagueness of the wish system in this show done on purpose?
If anything, that's the stick of progression of this series.
It starts off with the too good to be true "battle and get your wish granted" info.
Then we find out 3 strikes, your out.
Then we find out, woah, this whole thing is kind of shady..
and so on.

Just because we don't have all the info laid out bare for us to put the wish system through a courtroom cross-examination doesn't necessary mean the series is inconsistent, its that the whole wish system hasn't been explained. Half the stuff we know so far is conjecture from the players or LIRG themselves who we find out were just regular players, and who knows what half-truths they're taking as fact.
I didn't say it was necessarily inconsistent, merely that there are a few questions to be raised as to what exactly happened there- which does seem inconsistent with what we know at this point.
Doesn't mean that it will be in the end.
Hence I did conclude that there is a full cour left. As Triple_R said, more will likely get revealed/explained in S2. Or is it somehow wrong to raise questions and/or criticise something these days?
__________________
http://i59.tinypic.com/hwg5z4.jpg
[RIGHT]
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 22:36   Link #835
Belgaesh
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At the Intersection of Life
All I see is Okada trying to pull an ButchGen Madoka Style.

Well there's still a second season, let's see were it goes from there.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 02:04   Link #836
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Given the titles, I wonder if they're going for a .hack// title sequence.

First "Infected" and now "Spread". Is there going to be 4 seasons with a "Containment" and "Cure" title? lol (Given .hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine.)
Please, let WIXOSS have two instead of four. I don't think J.C.Staff nor Takara Tomy would invest of expanding WIXOSS to fight against the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh!, Buddy Fight, and other card battle anime series.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 09:50   Link #837
silvercover
Romance Expert
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
All I see is Okada trying to pull an ButchGen Madoka Style.

Well there's still a second season, let's see were it goes from there.
more like a reverse or subversion of it, with how the results are with this.
__________________
my fanfics:
Refractions (madoka magica)
Reversed Connections (BRS)

could only keep it this big
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 13:59   Link #838
cleo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
I didn't say it was necessarily inconsistent, merely that there are a few questions to be raised as to what exactly happened there- which does seem inconsistent with what we know at this point.
Doesn't mean that it will be in the end.
I agree with you. Hitoe with her willpower fighting through the pain, is something I can deal with. Akira simply getting plastic surgery is too much of a stretch for me. So I hope that either that preview was a flashback (maybe Piriluk?), or they come up with a good explanation. Hanayo simply not knowing curses aren't permanent would be rather lame. That said, the 'don't expect the Lrigs (and Mayu) to know all and/or be truthfull' certainly has it's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersister View Post
Wait, there's gray?? Maybe that's colorless. Also how is a Colorless LRIG considered mute?
The girls are playing with the same cards as the real Wixoss card game. The colors are the same as MtG: white, black, red, green, blue. Having a white deck doesn't mean all the cards have to be white. The same goes for the other colors. I think Ruuko also has blue cards in her deck, making the background during the battle a bit blue-ish. If she's gonna use some black cards, the background will be grey-ish. Really, don't hold your breath waiting for a grey or colorless Lrig to appear.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 14:38   Link #839
Galacticichi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
So, Tama disappeared because her wish and Ruu's wish were conflicting. Since there's been no precedent for this and I doubt there will be a repeat, I will believe that this is the consequence of an LRIG disapproving of their selector's wish.

I can't make heads or tails of Iona's wish, but I am so glad that she is now Ruuko's LRIG. Just imagining that dynamic is so fun . She might taunt Ruuko into battling like she did in her human body which would oddly be reminiscent of Tama exclaiming "Battle!" in the past. Ruuko's first reaction will probably be to throw Iona out but she can't because she still wishes to free Yuzuki and all the other girls from the cards, which she probably can't achieve anymore since she doesn't have Tama.

Bringing me to Mayu, she clearly didn't want Ruuko's wish to come true which means that it actually was possible in the first place. Mayu and Tama's history will hopefully be explained in the next cour which can't come any faster.

Iona's the best ; Her presence alone has such an entertaining effect on the girls.
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 16:52   Link #840
Esclair
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
So we know Tama is 'special', does that mean that she's not really the original Ruuko? There were so many hints that Ruuko was originally an LRIG, which highly suggested that Tama was the original Ruuko. It'd make sense that if her original wish was to be with Ruuko forever, then her becoming Ruuko's LRIG would have fulfilled that wish, and thus Ruuko's new wish would be in conflict with her original wish. Then there's Ruuko's grandma, who says the same things as Tama. It feels like the ending just made everything even more complicated.

Also, next season is called 'Selector Spread WIXOSS'. We saw Midoriko this episode, so we know that LRIGs don't disappear when they lose, they just go to a new owner. LRIGs that win are replaced by their Selector. This means that the population of LRIGs is always growing. Is the end goal to make all girls be either LRIGs or Eternal Girls?

Also, the ending actually kind of reminded me of Madoka Rebellion.

Last edited by Esclair; 2014-06-21 at 17:26.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
game, proxy battles

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.