AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-18, 03:07   Link #521
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Not here
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol@ toilet. Penguins are the best. Also, sparkling ftw.

Anyhow, the storytelling is quite good, with the beginning and end of the episodes connecting the dots extremely well.
__________________
Let us start here from Square one. No... from zero!
You do not wish to know anything. You wish only to speak.
That which you know, you ignore, because it is inconvenient.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 06:34   Link #522
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 35
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post
I will sell my soul for a plushie of pengin.
I bid 2 souls!!

I don't know how but I'll manage somehow!
Mizuno is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 09:19   Link #523
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
That toilet intro. Sparkling!

I'm not expecting a lot from the Penguin plot. But I'm betting I'll still get laughs from every episode.
Grey is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 09:50   Link #524
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 31
Spoiler for SEIZON SENRYA-:
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 09:57   Link #525
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: TX
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for SEIZON SENRYA-:
Thats just wrong... hasn't she been desecrated enough?
Funkatron is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 10:43   Link #526
Ziziphus
Whatever
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Age: 31
^I thought so too. That's the reason I didn't want to post the Mayuri version the last time I posted the Menma version.
__________________
Let's go Seishun Fishing! -Tsuritama
Ziziphus is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 22:57   Link #527
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Penguin.

No, seriously, the "Penguin Genre" is in the process of becoming a minor meme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
All of the above ?
Well, Ikuhara claims that it's supposed to be a "Penguin Mystery", but I'm on to his tricks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I much prefer the way Penguindrum goes about panty shot scenes. There's so much life in those scenes then the typical fanservice we're used to seeing these days.
There's no fanservice better than fanservice by implication!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
- I hope you all like the Princess' outfit, because every cosplayer and their dog is going to be wearing it for the next 2-3 years.
As we can already see, the Penguin hat goes with every anime girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
- The brothers as a double-act could carry the whole show. They have such great chemistry, even if Shouma is a bit of a wet dishrag.
Without Shouma, Kanba would be unwatchable, and without Kanba, Shouma would be like just about any Shounen romance-comedy lead. The buddy-buddy act is the most entertaining way to go - it's a wonder so few shows go with it.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 22:59   Link #528
gsilver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Anyone find any good Penguin Drum/Alien Nine crossovers?

I'd really like to see some Borg vs Penguin pics.
__________________
‿‿
gsilver is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 23:52   Link #529
paper2k1
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008

Oginome Ringo facial expression


cellular phone and penguin strap
paper2k1 is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 02:01   Link #530
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
One screen that i do not understand in ch 2,is when #2 came out of the train, and started to spray that shoe.Is there a meaning/ references on that?
It's a reference to the single red shoe in the Utena Movie which is itself a reference to the shoe of a drowning kid in the animated movie adaptation of the Night on the Galactic railroad. I suppose it was an indicator of what was to come with regards to Ringo, she is kind of a drowning / drowned girl. And well, it's surreal, much like most stuff on this anime are.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 02:32   Link #531
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 29
The shoe: didn't either Ringo or her friend talk about losing their shoe on the subway? I thought something like that happened. My first impression when the shoe showed up was that that was the shoe that Ringo/her classmate lost.
Sol Falling is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 02:52   Link #532
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
As we can already see, the Penguin hat goes with every anime girl.
& male.
Spoiler for Image:
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 08:20   Link #533
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Auuuugh, I already saw that picture once, why did someone have to repost it. ;-;
Penguindrum seems to now have an official English website here but there doesn't seem to be any new information on it yet.
wandering-dreamer is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 09:58   Link #534
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Weird, considering it's not even simulcasted. I guess they're already planning for a western release.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 13:04   Link #535
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Auuuugh, I already saw that picture once, why did someone have to repost it. ;-;
Penguindrum seems to now have an official English website here but there doesn't seem to be any new information on it yet.
Speechless, but setting up the site was so fast. Looks like they're real serious about licensing within the next few months.

BTW, I like how the site was designed: simple and well-done without any Flash/Actionscript trickery.
__________________
sa547 is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 13:26   Link #536
Flower
Blooming on the mountain
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Speechless, but setting up the site was so fast. Looks like they're real serious about licensing within the next few months.

BTW, I like how the site was designed: simple and well-done without any Flash/Actionscript trickery.
Hmm ... I like it too ... a nice simple and fast loading site with decent info
__________________
Flower is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 17:48   Link #537
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Since this series references Night On The Milky Way Train quite often, I wanted to post this paragraph as I think it embodies the main themes of this novel. Night On The Milky Way Train is a story about coming to terms with death and living in and altruistic manner. At any rate, it's basically the polar opposite to Mawaru Penguion, so it's interesting to think about how these references may fit withing the story at hand.


"My father told me that a long long time ago Scorpio lived in Valdola Vale and he survived by killing teeny bugs and eating them up. Then one day he was caught by a weasel and it looked like he was going to be eaten all up himself. He tried to get away with all his might and he was about to be pinned down by the weasel when he saw this well and he fell right down into it, and there was no way in the world he could get back up, so it looked like he was going to drown for sure. So then he began to pray...

Oh, I can't remember how many living creatures I have killed in my lifetime, but now I found myself trapped by the weasel and running for my own life. Woe is me! Everything is so risky in life. Why didn't I just give my body to the weasel and be done with it? If I had, at least he would have been able to live another day.

Dear God, please look into my heart and in the next life don't throw away my life in vain like this, but use my body for the good and happiness of all!

'That's what he said. And Scorpio saw his body turn bright red and burn into a beautiful flame, lighting up the darkness of the night sky! And he's burning now too, that's what my father said. That fire...it must be him.'"

So here the scorpion learners both, that it was nonsensical to reject death, and more importantly, that his death would serve a bigger (and altruistic) purpose. This parallels with Campanella, the protagonist's friend, and someone who died while saving a classmate. This classmate was a jerk and bully, but Campanela still risked his life for him. This altruism, more than the sacrifice itself, is the very essence of the apple.

When I remember this I can't help to think Ikuhara is trolling a bit with us. In the first episode he has this little kid saying the "the apple is a gift for those who chose love above everything else". Told like this, this line makes you think about Kanba, who would do anything for his sister. But of course, that's not the case. As I stated above, the apple is not a gift for someone who would sacrifice everything (himself, and maybe even the world) for a personal goal (like romantic love!). Only altruistic love, the kind of love that would make you risk your life for even someone you don't even like, like Campanella did, would make you deserving of the "apple".

This is interesting because it means that Ikuhara is either twisting those Night On The Milky Way Train references' actual meaning to suit what he wants to tell, or those references are foreshadowing something yet to come, a twist that might change the whole direction of this story.

Anyway, that's all for now.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 19:24   Link #538
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Since this series references Night On The Milky Way Train quite often, I wanted to post this paragraph as I think it embodies the main themes of this novel. Night On The Milky Way Train is a story about coming to terms with death and living in and altruistic manner. At any rate, it's basically the polar opposite to Mawaru Penguion, so it's interesting to think about how these references may fit withing the story at hand.


"My father told me that a long long time ago Scorpio lived in Valdola Vale and he survived by killing teeny bugs and eating them up. Then one day he was caught by a weasel and it looked like he was going to be eaten all up himself. He tried to get away with all his might and he was about to be pinned down by the weasel when he saw this well and he fell right down into it, and there was no way in the world he could get back up, so it looked like he was going to drown for sure. So then he began to pray...

Oh, I can't remember how many living creatures I have killed in my lifetime, but now I found myself trapped by the weasel and running for my own life. Woe is me! Everything is so risky in life. Why didn't I just give my body to the weasel and be done with it? If I had, at least he would have been able to live another day.

Dear God, please look into my heart and in the next life don't throw away my life in vain like this, but use my body for the good and happiness of all!

'That's what he said. And Scorpio saw his body turn bright red and burn into a beautiful flame, lighting up the darkness of the night sky! And he's burning now too, that's what my father said. That fire...it must be him.'"

So here the scorpion learners both, that it was nonsensical to reject death, and more importantly, that his death would serve a bigger (and altruistic) purpose. This parallels with Campanella, the protagonist's friend, and someone who died while saving a classmate. This classmate was a jerk and bully, but Campanela still risked his life for him. This altruism, more than the sacrifice itself, is the very essence of the apple.

When I remember this I can't help to think Ikuhara is trolling a bit with us. In the first episode he has this little kid saying the "the apple is a gift for those who chose love above everything else". Told like this, this line makes you think about Kanba, who would do anything for his sister. But of course, that's not the case. As I stated above, the apple is not a gift for someone who would sacrifice everything (himself, and maybe even the world) for a personal goal (like romantic love!). Only altruistic love, the kind of love that would make you risk your life for even someone you don't even like, like Campanella did, would make you deserving of the "apple".

This is interesting because it means that Ikuhara is either twisting those Night On The Milky Way Train references' actual meaning to suit what he wants to tell, or those references are foreshadowing something yet to come, a twist that might change the whole direction of this story.

Anyway, that's all for now.
Heh. Altruism, as an idea, is kinda interesting. Alone, it can seem somehow sterile, inhuman, as if it were an impossible way to live. It is an ideal that asks altogether too much of us if pushed onto us without any context. However, when it is used with contrast--in grief, and an unbridled life of selfishness--it gains a powerful narrative/emotional poignancy.


I think that the Night on the Galactic Railroad references indicate that Mawaru Penguindrum will certainly be talking about grief and coming to terms with it. References in themselves are all good, of course, but that does not mean that this series doesn't also have to tell a story for its own part. To tell a great story about accepting grief, having at least one character who has dramatically great difficulty accepting said grief is probably a good thing. Kanba becomes interesting because he turns into the 'innocent' the audience can put their minds in, following his thoughts as he comes to terms with the great personal loss that is the death of Himari. If the story were simply to be about people who can accept loss/be altruistic accepting loss/being altruistic, it wouldn't be much of a story.
Sol Falling is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 19:27   Link #539
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
That reminds me, I don't think it's been posted before (I know the lyrics were but I don't think this was) but I'm pretty sure that the insert song during the transformation sequence is actually a cover of a 1980s rock song. No seriously:


EDIT: Forgot to say that props for noticing this actually go to Arabesque, saw it on their twitter a few days ago and felt like I had been trolled

Last edited by wandering-dreamer; 2011-07-19 at 22:10. Reason: keep forgetting to write stuff tonight....
wandering-dreamer is offline  
Old 2011-07-19, 19:32   Link #540
Kitsu Breaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I hope somebody shipping this two too.
First Yuri art I Think
Spoiler for sizw:
__________________

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.