3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-05, 08:14   Link #61
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Got this finally but can't watch atm! Must sleep, but will watch while having breakfast tomorrow!

I did take a quick listen to the intro song, I didnt have my volume up very loud but it seemed fine to me in the way that it suited the theme of the show and the whole period. However, S1 opening tune (and closing tune, lols) was awesome and I'll really really miss them for S2 and any other OVA's.

Yay, Spice & Wolf!

Makes me realise how long I've had this sig and avi too.. heh. I like your sig to, Sinestra.
Old 2009-05-05, 15:45   Link #62
Starburst
Horo♥

I really enjoyed this episode. It was nice, I didn't feel like the chemistry between Horo and Lawrence was lost at all during the off season. I did feel like Horo had bee moe-ified, but I felt that was more due to the animation change. Which I'm not sold on yet, I have some issues with it.

The character design in season 2 seems to make Horo seem very thin and fragile, a lot more so than the first season. There were times when her arms seemed way too tiny. Skipping through some eps in season 1 I don't get the same feeling, she seems better proportioned in season 1.

All that said, I'm happy Horo's back, I'm not sure if I can wait till the series starts though... At least I have another Horo figure in the mail between now and then.
Old 2009-05-05, 16:53   Link #63
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Whoever came up with Medieval Diet 101 have a big thumb up from me. It is this attention to the small details that makes me care even more for a fantasy world. Seriously, when Lawrence did his tutorial on the diet, it brought me back old memories of my reads of Dragon Magazine and random cuisine books before a pen & paper RPG game (where the research and writing effort is very demanding for anyone who want to be a gamemaster)
Old 2009-05-05, 17:31   Link #64
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Well got to watch it this morning. I really liked it, it was light and whimsical. I don't think the 'moe-ness' was overdone at all really. I thought it was an interesting insight to Horo and her past, and on their relationship. Some of those flash backs were really interesting for what they showed. Like her choice of the 3 giant wolves vs Lawrence. There were a lot of amusing little scenes as well. like with the scene in the cart. First flash back has her looking wistfully at Lawrance while resting in the cart, and a later flash back has him glaring at her because she's sleeping. Another was Horo hitting her head when Lawrence mentioned apple cider. On the food, I have to admit, IRL I probably wouldn't eat what they have but they make it sound so damn appetizing.

Do miss the original intro song, but didn't think this was bad. No closing song though, or it was cut off the sub I saw.
Old 2009-05-05, 19:37   Link #65
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
To tell the truth if I was a director I probably would have skipped the whole eating with Nora thing and just shown a bits while music plays and would have animated the whole Horo gets spoon-fed like princess by Lawrence thing and their conversation and would have added Lawrence squeeze Horo's nose for a second too (while he checks upon the temperature) instead. Would have given even more warmth to the whole thing, not to mention that I found the whole dinning with Nora part probably the most boring in the OVA.

What I liked was the dream parts (like choosing between wolves pack and Lawrence, or rubbing noses with Lawrence).
Old 2009-05-05, 23:56   Link #66
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Do miss the original intro song, but didn't think this was bad. No closing song though, or it was cut off the sub I saw.
I think since this is the OVA Episode 0, there is none, but there will be for the actual beginning of the season.
Old 2009-05-06, 00:51   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
To tell the truth if I was a director I probably would have skipped the whole eating with Nora thing and just shown a bits while music plays and would have animated the whole Horo gets spoon-fed like princess by Lawrence thing and their conversation and would have added Lawrence squeeze Horo's nose for a second too (while he checks upon the temperature) instead. Would have given even more warmth to the whole thing, not to mention that I found the whole dinning with Nora part probably the most boring in the OVA.

What I liked was the dream parts (like choosing between wolves pack and Lawrence, or rubbing noses with Lawrence).
I can't disagree with those wishes.... I'd have liked to have seen the scene of Horo being fed by Lawrence as well.
Old 2009-05-06, 05:48   Link #68
RayzorFang
APRIL APRIL APRIL

As Darknemo Malkuth and Sinestra have said and probably many others before them this slight OOC behaviour if you can call it that, is because we see it from Horo's perspective especially the things that she does: checking lawrence's bed, tail wagging(@ lightly toasted:yes my favourite scene too), and also what she thinks and says, so its probably because we were seeing through Lawrence's not so insightful eyes in season 1 that makes this feel OOC.

How're the subs of this ep? i've only watched the raw.

Didn't really get the end part that Lawrence made up for the sheep torture story, was it just that the torturers let the prisoner go when he had a great smile or something? didn't really catch that line properly.

Last edited by RayzorFang; 2009-05-06 at 05:49. Reason: spelling mistake argh laptop keyboard!
Old 2009-05-06, 09:45   Link #69
FTGT

I agree with RayzorFang. I have also difficulties with some parts of the story. There seem to be different translations out there (BSS and Kurou). Maybe some of the people who understand japanese can help me with this:

1) At the beginning, what kind of sheep-story does Lawrence tell Nora? Has it to do with torture or with some kind of merchant business artifice that failes?

2) Which of these translations is correct?
Spoiler:

3) Is Horo really somehow "confessing" to Lawrence or does the second translation (Kurou) come closer to the truth?
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-06, 10:03   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wow.... I haven't looked at the different translations yet.... there's some massive discrepancies there. In the past, I've had pretty good feelings about BSS translations. The one about the tree makes more sense with the visual scene but now I'm going to have to go listen much more carefully and see if I can discern things (may grab some other ears as well).

The sheep torture story is just... strange terrible attempt at humor by Lawrence. It is actually the case the licking eventually becomes painful and can even strip the skin off the victim. I have no idea what Lawrence thought he was accomplishing with that bit of dinner talk. And yes, the torture translation was more on target. I'm inclined to think the tree time-passing translation was also more on target though I need to relisten to the scene.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-05-06 at 12:09.
Old 2009-05-06, 10:15   Link #71
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
Like I said earlier, and what FTGT is getting at, is that the two main translations out there have Lawrence telling two vastly different stories. One involves sheep being used in torture to lick salt off someone's feet, the other involves a shady merchant trying to sell the same sheep over and over again by selling it and then luring it back to him with salt on his feet.
Old 2009-05-06, 11:16   Link #72
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

The licking of salt off of the torture victim's feet is believe is the correct one, but I could be wrong.

I always interpreted it as the "victim" is actually getting tickled. Tickle-tortured.
Old 2009-05-06, 16:05   Link #73
Kaguya
an idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
2) Which of these translations is correct?
Spoiler:

3) Is Horo really somehow "confessing" to Lawrence or does the second translation (Kurou) come closer to the truth?
Spoiler:
>2)
" And if I was not careful, I might be gazing at a sapling growing up to be a grand tree."
That is, translation of BSS is the right translation.

It is translation of kurou that I was surprised.
This may be quotation from a side story "Wolf and Golden Wheat".
"Wolf and Golden Wheat" had the similar scene.

>3)
Translation of BSS is the right translation.
Although Lawrence did not notice, Horo is talking about lovesickness.
It is quoted from the proverb "even a doctor cannot cure a lovesickness".
Old 2009-05-06, 17:07   Link #74
Alchemist007
*Author

I liked it, looking forward to full S2.
Old 2009-05-06, 17:24   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks for keeping my opinion of BSS on the upside.... I'll listen to it myself anyway but BSS has put out decently executed translations over the years.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:19   Link #76
ASR1FanSubs
Feeling Big in Your Chair

Send a message via ICQ to ASR1FanSubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
>2)
" And if I was not careful, I might be gazing at a sapling growing up to be a grand tree."
That is, translation of BSS is the right translation.

It is translation of kurou that I was surprised.
This may be quotation from a side story "Wolf and Golden Wheat".
"Wolf and Golden Wheat" had the similar scene.

>3)
Translation of BSS is the right translation.
Although Lawrence did not notice, Horo is talking about lovesickness.
It is quoted from the proverb "even a doctor cannot cure a lovesickness".
Please do consider
our first release was done by 2 people only and took them only 16 hours who had no background experience ever doing it.

S&W was release the 30th by the 2th we were done subbing it.................

Our was released at 10 am or so
if took us only 16 hours to do it , image if takes us 24......................
Look at BSS staff.
WE didn't have people to check the translations because we only have one translator.

v2: Grammar checked. no more than 2 lines per subs.
ASS. Subs done on mkv

Our translations WILL get better over the weeks.
Old 2009-05-06, 23:40   Link #77
Serenity85
Horo-ism

yays, finally got subs for the OVA^^ Overall, really good ep. So many cute Horo moments, so many cute Horo tail moments^^. I loved the dreams, past and forshadowing (Horo rethinking living in the north for staying with Lawrence, and her also realizing that one she loved would eventaul die, so Sad). Horo's facepalm was epic win as well as Lawrences cluelessness.

Can't wait for Season 2 to start^^
Old 2009-05-07, 00:13   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR1FanSubs View Post
Please do consider
our first release was done by 2 people only and took them only 16 hours who had no background experience ever doing it.

S&W was release the 30th by the 2th we were done subbing it.................

Our was released at 10 am or so
if took us only 16 hours to do it , image if takes us 24......................
Look at BSS staff.
WE didn't have people to check the translations because we only have one translator.

v2: Grammar checked. no more than 2 lines per subs.
ASS. Subs done on mkv

Our translations WILL get better over the weeks.
I've worked on subs so I try to be pretty careful before poking too hard at an effort . All I can say is keep trying and, yeah, a translator/editor team is essential and the editor *needs* to know enough japanese to be dangerous. BSS has been doing their schtick for a long time (though I don't know what kind of turnover they have in staff so there's always a chance of a trainwreck anyway). Take your time and focus on quality over speed at first. Of course, these are suggestions from someone who's terrible at meeting deadlines anyway because I'd rather get it right than first out.
Old 2009-05-07, 08:43   Link #79
FTGT

@Kaguya:
Thanks for clearing that up. So she really talked about lovesickness. Apparently she is more honest with her feelings than I thought she would be. Ahhhh... I think I fell in love with her again (approx. the 45th time). :P

@ASR1FanSubs
Dont worry too much. It was quite good considering that it was your first Sub. ^^
Old 2009-05-07, 12:52   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@ASR1FanSubs: I'm not following your logic in assigning your poll score to the OVA. You bothered to work on the fansub for it (lots of hard work) yet you scored it a "1"?

Did you mean "painful" because producing a fansub is, indeed, a painful affair?