AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-22, 14:00   Link #41
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Truly the fine art of story telling is alive ! *must be the mushi :P *

I have to thank Monir-san for recommending this one (Rated highly in his old sig) figured the last anime he "pimped" on me was One Piece, and that worked out well, although it did take me at least episode 60 or so until I was in love with it Now I'm totally addicted to One Piece.

I'm a slightly hyper person who has a hard time staying focused, and the vagueness of the write up on this one, well I have to admit didn't really appear to be calling to me. However, after one episode I was in love and hooked, I had felt like I'd just gone on vacation or watched a nice full length movie!

The story, the art, the music all blends perfectly together and although I have no real idea wtf mushi really are, it doesn't matter, as the depth of characters placed before me are riviting and higly relatable. *and no I'm not sure relatable is a real word either *

Please try to talk your fiends into watching at least one EP, I can't see anyone regretting it

*not like this week naruto *
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 19:37   Link #42
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Yep...

Watched episode one and went "what the heck is this?" I was drawn
like a fish to a hook and watched 2, 3 and 4 in rapid succession.

What an amazing series. Gingko? I don't know if he's immortal but
perhaps he transcends time in a way.

What a totally fascinating series - I want to see more - but some of
the things that are revealed are pretty harrowing.

But it's amazing. A world where elemental spirits can interact with
humans. Wild.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 02:39   Link #43
Deadmansl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altharion
i like everything, its really a nice anime to relax with and enjoy.

I totally agree. This anime is a great change of pace to a lot of action anime that is out there. I love the storytelling and the different feel it gives off. Its a top notch anime. I like the characters and how they fit a lot of background with the episodes story into one episode without it feeling rushed. Very very interesting anime to watch.
Deadmansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:06   Link #44
Lucas

C1 has subbed it till epi 9 correct? Animesuki only lists the most recent epi as episode 9 subbed by C1... so how do you all watch episode 10 and beyond?
Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:51   Link #45
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas
C1 has subbed it till epi 9 correct? Animesuki only lists the most recent epi as episode 9 subbed by C1... so how do you all watch episode 10 and beyond?
By learning to understand the Japanese language.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:58   Link #46
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas

Or by learning how to read chinese? cos' some chinese fansub groups haf subbed beyond episode 9.
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 07:02   Link #47
wao
OK.

Note that you need a pretty decent knowledge of Japanese to be able to really understand the show... if you're still learning you can always look up Garten's blog, but he's been away recently so there's only up till ep 12...

But really, watching it without knowing what's going on and then finding it out later kind of spoils it all. I do wish ep 13 would come out eventually, it's really quite awesome. I can understand if C1 is having problems if it's about translation/editing... It's so difficult to get a really great show right.
Old 2006-01-26, 15:08   Link #48
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
.....What a totally fascinating series - I want to see more - but some of the things that are revealed are pretty harrowing.....
Hai, I have was also thinking, ... "did I just see what I thought I saw" For me to "stomach" any gore.... but it was almost borderline there for a sec, to be Pathy-rated-safe is a difficult thing to obtain in some animes! I was like wtf....ewwww in a few eps, but it didn't last to long, so that helped

Please ask all your friends to just watch ONE EPISODE...this show is a must see for any anime otaku

Plus has anyone seen the New Toyota Rav4 commercial? As soon as I saw it, one thought "MUSHI"
Spoiler:
Yah, it's strange but man I have subs in my dreams now
Old 2006-01-27, 03:26   Link #49
GunSharp

Arghh, I wanna see the missing eps that everyone is raving about!

Edit:Not complaining but still...
GunSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 07:30   Link #50
Emil Scherbe

Thanks for appropriate edit. admin.
Spoiler for Episode 10: The white that inhabits in inkstone:

Spoiler for Episode 11: The mountain sleeps:

Spoiler for Episode 12: The one eyed fish:

Spoiler for Episode 13 The one night bridge:

Last edited by Emil Scherbe; 2006-01-27 at 21:27. Reason: Please don't quadruple post. And please use spoiler tags!
Emil Scherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 22:19   Link #51
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
I had felt like I'd just gone on vacation or watched a nice full length movie!
Hi guys. Yeah, i love Mushishi because like pathyfinder says I feel that each episode of Mushishi is a welcome vacation from the fast pace of life. It is a strangly refreshing Anime, IMO, I think its because of the slow and unhurried pace it takes, plus the wonderful calming theme music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
Yah, it's strange but man I have subs in my dreams now
Strangely I understand exactly what you mean... happens to me too, especially when my Anime-watching goes over 1am....

Anyway... I'm one of those under-privileged that are confined to subs I love C1's sub for Mushishi, it doesnt detract from the show's calmness. Waiting for episodes 10 plus is killing me. *Goes out and gets a life*

Last edited by Lost; 2006-01-27 at 22:34.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 15:23   Link #52
GunSharp

Woohoo, Mushishi 10 is out.

Big thanks to C1, you guys are awesome!
GunSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 00:27   Link #53
Cal-Reflector

A friend whom I made many recommendations to returned the favor by pointing me to Mushishi; he adopted the same system of ranking anime which I adopted for my own purposes, and said that in the recent dearth of quality shows, Mushishi was a delightful surprise and a solid B+, "Very Good," which places it just one category below excellent, which is A- and up and made up of just 10% of all the shows I've seen.

The story belongs in that genre of anime that takes a slow, tasteful approach to story-telling, with a focus on Japanese folklore as generated by the beings known as Mushi. The anime uses very little background music, and very subdued ones when it does, which allows one to feast on the beautiful visuals and the story itself without drawing attention away to the music itself... in fact, one hardly notices the music for it blends in so well.

What I find most attractive about this show is that its apparent lack of "themes," in the modern sense of the word. The character is not exactly a hero of justice, nor are the mushis an evil force despite the threat they may pose towards humans. That is not to say each story accomplishes nothing, for it manages to reach out to touch the viewer on deeper levels, so that we're able to appreciate the subtle joys and sadnesses that the characters experience in their lives.

I am tempted to draw comparisons of Mushishi to other "mellow" shows, such as Kamichu, Haibanei Renmei, or Kino no Tabi, but have given up; Mushishi's stories and the way it tells them is simply unique.

This is truly an excellent show which I would recommend to a far and wide range of viewers... and there are few shows that I believe can achieve such universal appeal.

OP/ED: B+; very good (Opening was wonderful, ED was nice)
Music: B+ (It blends in so well I hardly noticed it)
Art: A; excellent
Animation: A-; excellent
Plot/Character Depth: A-; excellent
Overall: B+/A- (very good;excellent)

Tentative ranking out of some 70+ series reviewed: #8
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 06:00   Link #54
wao
OK.

Just interested, Cal-Reflector - what would you give an A/A+? (Honey and Clover?? I remember you liking that show.)

Episode 14 was actually better than I expected, it was better than 13 at any rate. Even though I liked the original for 13 more than 14... Again I am impressed at the colour coordination, but the art has just gotten better and better over the series!!! I didn't know GREEN was capable of doing this - GREEN and what seems to be their sister studio, the China-based Feng Dong Hua. It's actually been the same 4 people from GREEN doing the backgrounds since the beginning, and probably the simpler backgrounds are passed to Feng Dong Hua... But in this episode 14, it's really striking how amazingly detailed the backgrounds are. I can actually not care aout the animation and just look at how detailed the bamboo forest is and the lighting and the feel of it all...

Seiyuu watchers might be interested to know that the famous Junko Iwao (Akane from Mai-Hime, Ceres in Ayashi no Ceres [+ the OP], Tomoyo in CCS, Akane in Mahou Tsukai Tai!, Hikari in Eva, Mima in Perfect Blue, Tomoe in the Kenshin OVA, Ayaka and Serika in To Heart, Kotori in the X movie)
...did a semi-main part, the role of Setsu (the wife of the main person this ep) in this episode. Very convincing performance, as expected. Yet it didn't feel contrived or like overacting.

But even more interstingly, there is an actual 5 year old playing the part of Setsu's daughter. Said person is called Chihiro Yarita (isn't she cute!!), and she really sounds very convincing!!! I wonder if it's her or if the audio director did a great job getting her to feel the role.
Old 2006-01-30, 13:05   Link #55
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
...........Anyway... I'm one of those under-privileged that are confined to subs I love C1's sub for Mushishi, it doesnt detract from the show's calmness. Waiting for episodes 10 plus is killing me. *Goes out and gets a life*
You are one of the blessed then If all you watch are mostly subs you are lucky

I just hate it when I buy a dub version then a few minutes thru have to switch it back to subs because the voice actors they choose just don't fit or do as well as a job as the original... the main reason I have bought dubs is so my mom can enjoy them. She can't see the subs that well with her eyes. (It's like when I buy the Kodocha's, Sana comes off more annoying in dub then sub-something I never noticed at all in the sub version)

I would so right now pay $30 to see a GOOD sub vervsion of FMA as it's just me and the girls that would want to watch it. *goes out to buy bucket to catch drool in* and Lost you do have a life.... it's called ANIME

I'm not sure if this was stated, but is there a known episode count for Mushishi yet? *you can mangekyo my butt if it was *
Old 2006-01-30, 21:00   Link #56
wao
OK.

I think what he means by "unfortunate" and "subs" is that he can't watch the raws (which are up to 14 now), rather than watching english dubs (PTOO).

I watch it raw but if it wasn't for the manga, actually, I probably wouldn't have because the dialogue is so so so key to enjoying this, and my Japanese isn't that good...

If this show gets licensed and released in teh States, I hope they get very good voice actors (if possible, not the ones they usually use for anime...) and have some proper audio mixing.
Old 2006-01-30, 22:17   Link #57
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
If this show gets licensed and released in teh States, I hope they get very good voice actors (if possible, not the ones they usually use for anime...) and have some proper audio mixing.
Or, for dvd you can only watch sub and listen to japanese. I never listen to the dubbing cuz sorry to say, they are so incapable that I can barely hold on for 5 minutes before my finger involuntarily lays upon the audio button of my remote.

And yeah 14 is better than 13..... I think 13 is a tad rush at the end, and I don't quite like the ending too (well I dont have the chance to get the manga.... how sad) It doesnt mean by any chance it is a bad episode -- far from it, it is a very good one, just a little bit of inadequacy from my point of view.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 22:53   Link #58
Lost

Thanks, pathyfinder, yes Anime IS my life... its scary really. And yep, I cant watch the raws because besides some isolated japanese words I picked up, my command of the Japanese language is essentially.. nil.

And I too never watch dubs, somehow it detracts from the originality of the show... and with live-action shows, dubs are just plain weird...

Just watched ep10 not long ago, it was very very good, One of my favourites so far (the other favourite is ep5 i tink, the one about the travelling swamp). Somehow I could really feel what that female inkstone maker felt, it cut deep. The way this show makes you feel the depth of the character's pain and sorrow is one reason why I cant get enough of Mushishi, its what makes it so unique!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 23:41   Link #59
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Yea I just watched ep. 10 it was very well done. I wish I knew Japanese so I could see the raws. Sadly, other then a few fundamental words, I know no Japanese.

This anime is so well done, every episode has a new plot line, yet every episode is good, not one has even been "average" every one was good. I can't wait for a sub of 11.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 01:53   Link #60
kujoe
from head to heel

I am so in love with this show! It's my number one priority right now as far as anime is concerned. But what I like the most—and I can tell I'm not alone in this—is the music, and how it blends in with the overall mood. Simply great.

Man, I hope an OST is going to come out soon. Or is one out already? An OP single just won't cut it.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural