AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-03-28, 09:47   Link #21
tweaker

Buy the latest available motherboard you can find and buy the cheapest AMD 64 chip you can find. Then, once a year or every two years, just upgrade your cpu.

Of course you can wait for a while since I haven't seen any dual processor server boards that support PCI express x16 yet. For my next box, that's the direction I am going in. I am a fan of Tyan motherboards, but NVIDIA is horrible with providing documentation to the open source community. I would prefer to go with a VIA chipset instead.

If you can find a motherboard that supports PCI express x16, can hold LSI SCSI ultra 320 controller cards, and can handle dual processors, send me a message.

tweaker
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 16:54   Link #22
Icehellion

Send a message via AIM to Icehellion
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere
No need for 95% of people to bother with dual core. And I'd be MUCH more concerned about the fact that you actually used a power supply that came with a case than the case itself.
hehe maybe its just that particular case that sucked
PSU works, 2+ yrs and everything is still not burned (knock on wood)

So do you guys have any advice on HTPC's ? I think shuttle is the only one that makes small boxes. (I don't know the official form factor name)
Icehellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 15:53   Link #23
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Ok I am hijacking this thread since no one uses it anymore.
My question is should I replace this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116224 (what I currently have)
with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116001. << The FSB on this is a bit low but I guess you all can point out the pros and cons of them. THe reson being that when I am running 2 intensive programs at the same time like WOW and photoshop on dual monitors MY PC restarts under the stress. so thanks for any help.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 03:05   Link #24
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
THe reson being that when I am running 2 intensive programs at the same time like WOW and photoshop on dual monitors MY PC restarts under the stress.
You should buy a better power supply then. I doubt switching CPUs is of any help.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 05:59   Link #25
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Ok I am hijacking this thread since no one uses it anymore.
My question is should I replace this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116224 (what I currently have)
with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116001. << The FSB on this is a bit low but I guess you all can point out the pros and cons of them. THe reson being that when I am running 2 intensive programs at the same time like WOW and photoshop on dual monitors MY PC restarts under the stress. so thanks for any help.
Your computer may be restarting due to overheating, software or hardware issues. I don't think it's because your CPU is not fast enough. Any BSOD when your computer restarts?
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 14:56   Link #26
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
To tell you the truth I have never gotten a BSOD on this PC since I got it. And te 2 monitors I have running moth plug in to different outlets, and the PSU is 450 WATTS. SO Isn't RUnning WoW and maybe Photoshoping a or watching anime at the smae time intense ? I used to be able to do this before but now it is starting to do ths.
Old 2006-04-18, 21:32   Link #27
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
To tell you the truth I have never gotten a BSOD on this PC since I got it. And te 2 monitors I have running moth plug in to different outlets, and the PSU is 450 WATTS. SO Isn't RUnning WoW and maybe Photoshoping a or watching anime at the smae time intense ? I used to be able to do this before but now it is starting to do ths.
WoW isn't really an intense game, and photoshop uses very little resources unless you are editing files over 5000pixels. Watching anime takes almost no resources whatsoever unless it is encoded in h.264. I highly doubt your CPU is the problem since if it were a physical hardware problem you would have a BSod or errors in your event viewer. It could be a heat problem as others have suggested or the PSU could be dying.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 02:08   Link #28
mr.muffin

Why don't you try to monitor your CPU's temperature just before it restarts. See if its running too hot. Hopefully that'll help eliminate one possible problem.
Old 2006-04-21, 00:13   Link #29
tweaker

I just helped write a driver for the sensors on my mother board. The problem is that at start-up what your bios shows is below what your box will be running at after a few minutes of being on. Adding a 2000+ RPM fan you might be able to knock down the temperature 2-3 degrees F.

When I am playing anime, my box temperature goes up about 2-5 degrees F.

With two fans my box runs at about 102-107 degrees F depending upon what I am doing. This is significantly higher than what I read from my bios if I jump into it at start-up.

I suggest first reading up on your bios to make sure that company that produced your board got it right. Then, check your settings.

tweak
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 03:47   Link #30
remase2

building a puter

yeah thank you for all of your comments, its a great help.
my budget is about a one thousand for this project, little above or below that.
i think i need to start at the library or a book store to find a book or two on building a computer so any suggested books that could help a beginning builder would be great.

I also came across this websitehttp://sysbuilder.com/sysconfigurators/midsystem1.htm, has anyone used this site b4 to build their puters ? and was it good ?

once again thank you all.
Also i am thinking of switching schools to do or learn computer programming at devry, any thoughts or suggestions would be cool
remase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 05:23   Link #31
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by remase2
yeah thank you for all of your comments, its a great help.
my budget is about a one thousand for this project, little above or below that.
i think i need to start at the library or a book store to find a book or two on building a computer so any suggested books that could help a beginning builder would be great.

I also came across this websitehttp://sysbuilder.com/sysconfigurators/midsystem1.htm, has anyone used this site b4 to build their puters ? and was it good ?

once again thank you all.
Also i am thinking of switching schools to do or learn computer programming at devry, any thoughts or suggestions would be cool
You could try this site: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1444 and google for more help if needed. There are plenty of sites out there with articles on how to build a computer. It would be good if you could ask a friend who knows his stuff to guide you just in case you make a mistake.

As for that website never used it before so I don't know if its good, plus I don't live in the US so I can't comment on their pricing either.

Some thoughts regarding learning programming. I think its important that you have a very keen interest in programming. I'm a Computer Science undergrad myself and there were many times when interest in the subject kept me going. There were lots of frustrating moments (e.g. debugging) so you've got to be prepared.

Also I think its good to be prepared to pickup programming languages on your own. Your Professors would expect you to pickup some languages by yourself. For me I started out learning Java from my profs but in the end had to learn C/C++ and Oz by myself, not to mention other scripting languages such as JSP, PHP, ...etc. I think that if you're really keen on learning programming then go for it! It can be fun.
Old 2006-04-21, 05:37   Link #32
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehellion
So do you guys have any advice on HTPC's ? I think shuttle is the only one that makes small boxes. (I don't know the official form factor name)
It's flex-atx.
But i recommend to go for an full Atx size one,
you can use a old atx desktop case ^^ or get
one of those specially designed htpc cases.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 16:38   Link #33
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well my CPU seems to max out at 37 degreesC when under stress, what I dont get it how can it be the PSU becuase my PC is pratically on 24/7 and only when(sometimes) I am running WoW and anime or something like that on the next monitor it restarts however beefore it restarts you hear the CPU making alot of noise(the kind of cliking sound like it does when you now start up or when opening a program). And then it restarts this does not happen random at all (the restarting) justo only when the PC is under stress and as I said before just like a month ago the PC used to be able to do all these tasks fine until recently. So are you sure its the PSU ?
Old 2006-04-22, 02:36   Link #34
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
...the kind of cliking sound like it does when you now start up or when opening a program...
Are you sure it is a click sound or more of a vrrroom sound ?
If it is a click noise, it is mostlikely coming from you HDD.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 05:06   Link #35
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Well my CPU seems to max out at 37 degreesC when under stress...
37 degrees C is cool. I guess that rules out overheating as a cause of the restarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
Are you sure it is a click sound or more of a vrrroom sound ?
If it is a click noise, it is mostlikely coming from you HDD.
Gotta agree with Sides. Clicking noises most probably come from your HDD. As far as I know its not possible for the CPU to make any clicking noises. Since, the CPU has no moving parts inside it.

If your HDD is making excessive clicking noises (more than usual) it could be an indication that your HDD is near failure. You might want to check your HDD. You could try going to your HDD manufacturer's website to download software to check the state of your HDD. For example Maxtor has PowerMax software that is able to check the integrity of their HDDs and tell you if the HDD is near iminent failure.
Old 2006-04-22, 11:36   Link #36
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Ok I just checked my HDDs are fine and are in pristine condition. Ok lemme put it in a more simple term the CPU LIGHT on my tower stay solid red when under the stress before it restarts however the funny thing is that it didnt restart latly when I was phtoshopping and playing WoW. So im goona get some circular IDE caples, some thermal paste and a can of compressed air and clean inside my tower and clean up all the clutter so I can completely take over heating out of the equation.

Also is it helthy for TASK MANAGER to always be reading CPU usage at 100% when any game is running ? (I checked processes and only WoW or Doom 3 or what ever game is always daring all the resources.

Last edited by mxg; 2006-04-22 at 12:24.
Old 2006-04-22, 13:37   Link #37
mr.muffin

Quote:
Also is it helthy for TASK MANAGER to always be reading CPU usage at 100% when any game is running ? (I checked processes and only WoW or Doom 3 or what ever game is always daring all the resources.
Nope, CPU usage shouldn't be always at 100%.

Btw, try this after you have cleaned out your case.

go to:
control panel>
system>
advanced tab>
startup and recovery - settings>
under the title - system failure
uncheck automatically restart

or go here http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320299 for a better explanation.

This will stop your computer from restarting when any BSOD occurs. If you encounter any errors, post it here.
Old 2006-04-25, 16:20   Link #38
mxg
The Lone Gamer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116001 well i decided to go with this anyway becuase the restrting still occurs when under stress. But one question i have will I need to install windows XP 64 bit edition on this or will the regular Windows work just as well. And lastly I hear that not many thing are compatible with windows XP 64 bit edition. Can you please clraify for me ?
Old 2006-04-25, 17:17   Link #39
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
You should buy a better power supply then. I doubt switching CPUs is of any help.
QFT. Power supply. Also, you guys here with sig. pics, please make them smaller in filesize!
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 17:51   Link #40
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere
QFT. Power supply. Also, you guys here with sig. pics, please make them smaller in filesize!
What do you mean QFT powersupply ?

And also did the filesize change of sigs ?

Tags
building computers