Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-22, 02:49   Link #1
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
I need a kid friendly anime (that isn't a kid anime...)

I have a five year old brother who likes to come up to my room and watch anime with me. The problem is... I don't really have any kid friendly anime besides two Pokemon movies and some Sailor Moon DVDs.

He's sat down and watched Saiyuki before, but I didn't know because my other brother was watching him and put it in. He loved it. Made me watch the whole series with him. He also likes Lucky Star (a five year old boy... who liked Lucky Star... this time he came in when I was sleeping and forgot to stop the DVD) and because he'll sit down and watch them and not cartoons like TMNT or Yu-Gi-Oh, he seems a bit ahead of his age.

Is there any anime that is somewhat mature but ok for a kid to watch with me? The only things I can think of that I own are Fruits Basket and .hack//SIGN. I don't think I could let him watch anything else...
Old 2009-03-22, 03:00   Link #2
jedinat

Angelic Layer and Uchuu no Stellvia come to mind.
Old 2009-03-22, 04:10   Link #3
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
If he liked Lucky Star, maybe shows like Hidamari Sketch, Minami-ke, and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsu will suit his taste.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-03-22, 05:07   Link #4
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'd suggest the various Ghibli studio films--except Princess Mononoke. Short, lots of adventure, amazing plot and animation, very good choices.
Old 2009-03-22, 06:21   Link #5
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

For a kid-friendly show, the first thing that comes to my mind is Hayate the Combat Butler (Hayate no Gotoku). The show aired on a kiddy primetime slot so they cut out almost all of the fanservice (except for a certain trap) and blood (can't show this! ) and even direct references to gambling and the yakuza! Plus, it's craziness and high-spirited action is very exciting for kids to watch. It really is not a mature show, though.

I've heard things about Dennou Coil being a very good "kiddy" show that even adults can enjoy. But I haven't watched it yet.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is an excellent show for young boys with its fighting spirit and incredible action sequences. But you'll have to preview it yourself before deciding to show it to your brother because it has a voluptuous girl who dresses in a skimpy bikini-like outfit complete with bouncing boobs for most of the show. Aside from that "abnormality", it's an excellent kid's show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsu
That show's fanservice isn't nearly as subtle and "kid-friendly" as that in Lucky Star.
Old 2009-03-22, 07:12   Link #6
Otus

Chi's Sweet Home - All ages anime, but I know lots of adults that loved this.
Old 2009-03-22, 09:22   Link #7
denice25

Angelic Layer would be a great choice!
Old 2009-03-22, 09:40   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Seconds for Angelic Layer, Dennou Coil and Chi. If you have a kitty, you'll all love that show.

I'd add the licensed Tweeny Witches (Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu) based on Alice in Wonderland. It has a dark plot that adults can enjoy. For an adventure show, you might try Nijuu Mensou no Musume, about a young heiress who joins forces with a mysterious thief. All but one of its episodes are subbed.

Production I.G's Windy Tales has unusual animation but tells an interesting story about some girls who discover they can control the wind. Cats turn out to have the same ability and can fly around the city.

Finally I'll toss Seirei no Moribito ("Moribito, Guardian of the Spirit" in its licensed release) and the currently-running Kemono no Soujou Erin. I've only watched a couple of episodes of the latter, but it runs on NHK's educational channel and is clearly designed for kids. Moribito might be a bit too dark for a young child; it's a story originally written for older kids and preteens. The young male protagonist, a coddled prince of twelve, shows great character development throughout the show.
Old 2009-03-22, 09:54   Link #9
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

I'll de-vote the Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Lots of bunny girl costumes and such. If you don't care about showing him fan service then go for it.

Also, Dennou Coil has a kiddy art style but the story might be too complicated for 5 years old.

I think your best bet is the studio Ghibli movies. Or maybe you can go old school and show him Dragon Ball.
Old 2009-03-22, 11:26   Link #10
luniz

yea Denno Coil for a 5 year old? That's a bit much. How about Capeta? Or Major? If he's into sports. Otherwise maybe Hunter x Hunter?
Old 2009-03-22, 20:48   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've watched a few more episodes of Erin, and it may be too difficult for a young child. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers, but I wouldn't show it to a five-year-old without previewing.

As for Dennou Coil, I think the first half would be pretty entertaining for children at most any age, but I agree the latter half might be slow going. We are, after all, talking about a kid who found Lucky*Star entertaining. I think Coil would be easier to relate to as a kid than Konata and company.
Old 2009-03-22, 20:53   Link #12
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
If he liked Lucky Star, maybe shows like Hidamari Sketch, Minami-ke, and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsu will suit his taste.
Er...Haruhi does have it's well...>_> moments with girls...I reccomend something a bit more light. Perhaps some of KEYS works will do. Clannad, Clannad After Story, AIR, and Kanon. Although they might be a little suggestive, they have fantastic artwork and the scenario is sometimes livid. The whole serializations of KEY have a somewhat happy ending towards the end. The Dango Daikozoku song will really get to your brother.

Your missing alot of really good ones too bro!
Totoro!
Howl's Moving Castle!
Spirited Away, it's cartoony but has some blood in it, not SO MUCH!
Old 2009-03-22, 21:38   Link #13
TsukasaTetris
Orenji~

Since he likes Lucky Star, he might like Azumanga Daioh as well. ^_^
Old 2009-03-23, 00:03   Link #14
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukasaTetris View Post
Since he likes Lucky Star, he might like Azumanga Daioh as well. ^_^
Not a bad suggestion.
Old 2009-03-23, 00:33   Link #15
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
Ah! Thank you for your suggestions! I'll go find some of these right away!
Old 2009-03-23, 17:32   Link #16
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

More to the Studio Ghibli recommendations.. check out Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Tags
children