AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-30, 22:42   Link #61
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I've actually not got a problem with that, it would be boring seeing him go through training to only have his butt whipped when teh time comes, instead we're shown just how good this kid is and the mountain Kurogane has to climb.
That way we can push forward with the training and get to the match slightly quicker.
It's also no surprise that the author is throwing the strongest guy at our hapless lead so soon, that happens alot in sports series, it then becomes a goal for the MC to over come that dude.
But part of me also hopes the author can put a little spin or twist to this cliche, if it happens.
It could very well be he doesn't spar with him at the match.

I think my problem will come from theh next chapter is if this kid actually doesn't get butt whipped by Sayu.
Sure we got Kurogane barely avoiding an attack from her but I doubt she was going all out then.
Here she'll be using her art to see what the kid is worth and I should expect her to be able to land her attack(altho just stopping before actually hitting)
But I think it will probably be him avoiding it all, if that happens it then makes Sayu look rather meh.
I know having a super strong "target" person is very common in sports manga. But in just 9 chapters we already have a ghost mentor, a very strong rival/friend, a good captain, and a national champion. Isn't that a bit too many in so few chapters?

In Slam Dunk, the first practice game with another school began midway through vol 3, almost 25 chapters in. I don't expect every sports manga to go into such length of Slam Dunk, but it is absolutely untrue that basic training is boring. And there are many ways to make the manga interesting without introducing a new character every 2 chapters. Right now Kurogane is sacrificing the overall flow of the story for making cool things happen every chapter.
Old 2011-10-30, 23:48   Link #62
KLGChaos
The Shermain

My issues with it is that I'm just tired of the cliche. Obviously, the lead needs challenges to overcome, but Kurogane has enough problems with lower level guys that throwing him up against the strongest guy, while in the process giving his unique trait to that guy just undermines Kurogane. He's goof to get curb-stomped, and probably will for 90% of the manga, until he finally overcomes the guy. I don't look forward to that. I prefer my rivals to be more on par with the character so you don't know what will happen.

I predict he'll get owned in the practice fight, but some BS stuff about him showing fighting spirit will catch people's attention and the big dude will keep an eye on him as a sudden rival. Then we'll get to go through many painful training arcs to see him lose again (crying manly tears about wanting to win again, I'm sure). It's all very cliche and predictable. Even the bad guy seems to be your predictable "I'm so OP, I don't even take my sport seriously" type. It's right up there with the OP villain who doesn't really lose, but let's the hero win trope. I'm just bored with it. But, that's probably why it's doing pretty well in the rankings. Most WSJ readers just want more of the same generic stuff, which is why manga like St&rs, which try something different, are so low.

And I'm half-expecting Sayuri to dump Kurogane for this new guy. It seems like something she'd do.

But, we'll see where it goes. I like the characters and maybe the author will surprise us.
Old 2011-10-31, 01:31   Link #63
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think that they won't get to the captain's match, will have an unofficial fight, our hero will taste the floor and then Hanazawa will become his day coach #2.
Quote:
Even the bad guy seems to be your predictable "I'm so OP, I don't even take my sport seriously" type. It's right up there with the OP villain who doesn't really lose, but let's the hero win trope.
I don't see where that's coming from, usually pro sportsmen take their position seriously, and there's no way anyone would throw a fight in a tournament just because...
Quote:
And I'm half-expecting Sayuri to dump Kurogane for this new guy. It seems like something she'd do.
Possible and interesting, wonder where that would lead
Old 2011-10-31, 04:11   Link #64
ShiroiRyu

Want a little of the same for Sayuri ...
To go with this guy.
Or one on her sisters are with him.
Because, we don't have to forget they are seven sisters if i remember. ^^
Old 2011-10-31, 04:20   Link #65
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I think that they won't get to the captain's match, will have an unofficial fight, our hero will taste the floor and then Hanazawa will become his day coach #2.

I don't see where that's coming from, usually pro sportsmen take their position seriously, and there's no way anyone would throw a fight in a tournament just because...
I was thinking more along the lines of action series like Bleach. Kubo went out of his way to say Aizen probably could have beat even the powered up Ichigo, but chose to lose because he was lonely being so strong or some crap like that. Same thing happened in Ghost Sweeper Mikami. The big bad only lost because he wanted someone strong to stop him and allowed him to win.
Old 2011-10-31, 06:06   Link #66
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I don't know. I understand what you guys are saying but I'll hold the disappointment for when it actually happens. Who knows, maybe he beats him but in a interesting to read way.

Also I don't think the guy has the eyes...
Old 2011-10-31, 08:13   Link #67
ShiroiRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of action series like Bleach. Kubo went out of his way to say Aizen probably could have beat even the powered up Ichigo, but chose to lose because he was lonely being so strong or some crap like that. Same thing happened in Ghost Sweeper Mikami. The big bad only lost because he wanted someone strong to stop him and allowed him to win.
Don't ... EVER ... COMPARE GSM AND BLEACH !
Or i will be angry !
Yes, i love GSM ... Really loved it.
Old 2011-10-31, 08:17   Link #68
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Funny how comparing anything to Bleach is almost an insult these days.
Old 2011-10-31, 08:54   Link #69
blade82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Want a little of the same for Sayuri ...
To go with this guy.
Or one on her sisters are with him.
Because, we don't have to forget they are seven sisters if i remember. ^^
i didnt see anything about sisters
Old 2011-10-31, 09:59   Link #70
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Don't ... EVER ... COMPARE GSM AND BLEACH !
Or i will be angry !
Yes, i love GSM ... Really loved it.
Lol. I like GSM, too (well, up through the major arc... the filler chapters at the end didn't do much for me).

I'm interested in seeing what Sayuri will do. She just seems like the type who would dump Kurogane if she found another person with his abilities and more experience.

@felix: Sayuri said he has the eyes, so that's what I'm going to go with until it says different. Personally, I wish he didn't have the same special ability as the lead... because all it does is serve to negate Kurogane's one advantage. Without that, he has absolutely nothing going for him... except fighting spirit, as I guess this new guy doesn't seem to have much.
Old 2011-10-31, 10:04   Link #71
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

He has Sayuri's techniques and dream training.

Frankly I find it real odd that he actually has the ability, it doesn't take away as much as it downplays it... would have liked it more if he was blind or something like that.
Old 2011-10-31, 10:40   Link #72
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Sayuri said he has the eyes, so that's what I'm going to go with until it says different.
Well, he did dodge her first strike...
Quote:
Same thing happened in Ghost Sweeper Mikami. The big bad only lost because he wanted someone strong to stop him and allowed him to win.
Now now, while it is indeed a common trope, it was subverted in Bleach; Aizen never explicitly said anything about himself besides his god psychosis, while normally the case has some foreshadowing, or is just blatantly said out loud (see FT).

As for Kurogane, I hope his restless nights won't go in vain, but I can't see him winning against a pro so soon...a tie maybe?
Old 2011-10-31, 13:15   Link #73
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Funny how comparing anything to Bleach is almost an insult these days.
Yeah, I wonder what's up with that? I still like Bleach. But then, I was never a major fan, so I guess there isn't a lot of room to be disappointed.

Quote:
I'm interested in seeing what Sayuri will do. She just seems like the type who would dump Kurogane if she found another person with his abilities and more experience.
I don't think so. I think once she decides something, she sticks with it, and she decided on Kurogane. Besides, she wants to revive her school. For that, a malleable beginner like Kurogane may be more suitable than a guy who already has his own style.
Old 2011-10-31, 16:50   Link #74
ShiroiRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
i didnt see anything about sisters

Sorry, i read the first chapter and the one-shot and i thought she have seven techniques or she is one of seven sisters.
Don't know why i thought that ... O_o
For Bleach, i like it but ... not that much. I have the same reasons like so many guys and girls. ^^'
Old 2011-11-01, 00:00   Link #75
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
She is a sensei and apparently a respected one as well. She will never ditch someone after taking them under her wing, specially as she boasted about "be meant to train weak people how to overcome themselves" or something like that?. Having the other guy joining as an apprentice without ditching Kurogane as well could be more feasible, but perhaps longer down the line.
Old 2011-11-05, 23:24   Link #76
KLGChaos
The Shermain

New chapter is out. Sayuri couldn't take the new guy down because he's basically perfect (though he didn't defeat her either) and learns moves in seconds without even needing to see them first. Yeah, the exact type I can't stand. All powerful and no weaknesses. Aka, the Aizen of the story.
Old 2011-11-05, 23:37   Link #77
Johnny
Working the bags...

Yeah didn't care too much for the perfect new guy. Which was described as somebody Kurogane should never be able to defeat, since he has the same eyes as him, but is far superior in everything else and is still growing...
Old 2011-11-05, 23:41   Link #78
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Yeah didn't care too much for the perfect new guy. Which was described as somebody Kurogane should never be able to defeat, since he has the same eyes as him, but is far superior in everything else and is still growing...
Yeah, that's a good point. He has every advantage over Kurogane, including the same eyes, and learns WAY faster. It's almost like the author is basically saying that he'll never catch up to him. Not a good way to introduce the main rival unless you plan on having him whip the main characters ass over and over again.
Old 2011-11-05, 23:42   Link #79
Iron21

Quote:
New chapter is out. Sayuri couldn't take the new guy down because he's basically perfect (though he didn't defeat her either) and learns moves in seconds without even needing to see them first. Yeah, the exact type I can't stand. All powerful and no weaknesses. Aka, the Aizen of the story.
Didn't look at the chapter yet, but I'm not liking this type of development.

Introducing somebody like this 10 chapters in? Really?
Old 2011-11-05, 23:53   Link #80
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Yea this chapter just did what I feared and didn't want, it's a rather big disappointment now.

It's now become extremely hard to see Kurogane ever beating that guy, I mean atm the dude is like in god mode compared to Kurogane and no doubt stay over 9000 steps ahead even if Kurogane improves.
I have no idea how the author will make it seem like he has any hope, at least if it was Sayu beating him, we'd know it's not impossible.
Now we just have to accept that when the time comes Kurogane will somehow beat him through sheer willpower and hard work....

Now I can only hope I can get some interest from whatever romance there is, if that ever happens.