AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 21 29.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 23.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 9.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-27, 17:35   Link #21
Diveman

Overall a pretty good episode, Mei is so moe!

So the curse also follows them if they go out? hmmmm and the conversation between Reiko and the other guy was interesting as well, and of course next week we return to the usual creepy murder setting.

also...what kind of IDIOT goes to swim so far at the ocean knowing they have a death curse, seriously its just a damn ball, who cares about it? I think he deserved it.

It could have been a coincidence though and not related to the curse as well.
Old 2012-02-27, 17:36   Link #22
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, i've started watching this show with a final destination mindset, that is, anyone can die at any time due to anything. the part with the wind and the umbrella definitely cranked it up a bit, and that preview. wow.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:00   Link #23
Sides

Reckon most people here were expecting that someone was going to die, but the way that person went, was brutal.
I was kind of expecting something like, killed by a fishing road, slipped on the boulders and smashed his/her heads or just simply drowning, but the way he/she got killed off was kind of funny in a way.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:28   Link #24
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
So how did the redshirt get killed when the curse calamity supposedly doesn't follow you out of Yomiyama? Only thing I can think of is

Spoiler for speculation:
That still doesn't account for how Kouichi's dad's memory was altered in EP6, assuming it was (although everything seems to indicate that it was altered). I think the phenomenon just has a further reach than everyone is giving it credit for.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:32   Link #25
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That boat came out of nowhere !?

Anyway the episode really did it's best to misdirect us with a number of fake signs and let our guard down... >.> That preview in the end feels like more nightmare courtesy of our protagonist Kouichi.

Anyway on to more light hearted moments- I get the feeling that you could line up a hundred school girls in a row and Kouichi could pick out the introvert, lonely, quiet one every single time That's how good his Mei-Radar is Then again, it doesn't seem like he minds the attention from Akazawa But personally I want to see her with more Tsun with Teshigawara... Oh the dilemma...
Old 2012-02-27, 18:39   Link #26
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Were the events in this episode in the novel, or is this an anime original? I thought this episode was rather poor overall. A fanservice beach episode would have been okay for an alternate reality bonus OVA or something, but stuck right here in the middle of the series it felt really out of place. Then Mei just happens to appear, in a school swimsuit no less, and even some tentacles show up! Yeah...

The guy that got killed, did he even have a name or speak before this episode? I don't recall him showing up much except in the background.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:46   Link #27
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Were the events in this episode in the novel, or is this an anime original? I thought this episode was rather poor overall. A fanservice beach episode would have been okay for an alternate reality bonus OVA or something, but stuck right here in the middle of the series it felt really out of place. Then Mei just happens to appear, in a school swimsuit no less, and even some tentacles show up! Yeah...

The guy that got killed, did he even have a name or speak before this episode? I don't recall him showing up much except in the background.
I believe his name was Nakao.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:48   Link #28
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The most interesting piece of information we learned in this episode was that the calamity can even strike outside of Yomiyama. Does that mean that the phenomenon has a wider area of effect than Chibiki thought? That's the logical conclusion, however, there is another possible explanation. I believe Chibiki's deduction that the phenomenon has a limited reach is correct (he's the only reliable source of information so far, if we can't trust him, we're pretty much back to square one) but there is something he overlooked: the epicenter of the phenomenon. Is it class 3, whose location they tried changing in the past to no avail? Is it the school? Or is it... Another himself (once the phenomenon has been activated)? If it's the latter, it explains both why Chibiki came to this erroneous conclusion, and why that kid died outside of Yomiyama. It also explains why Another's identity was never uncovered during class trips (except 15 years ago I'm assuming, before they were banned). Of course, that means Another is one of the people in this episode, but that much is obvious, isn't it? Pretty much all the named character were present, and Another can only be one of them (I can't imagine they'll reveal he's one of those nameless students, that would be pretty anti-climatic ).

My money is still on Reiko. Matsu said he had a feeling he had seen her more recently... during her funeral a year and a half ago?

Who do you think it is?

I'm pretty sure is a flashback to fifteen years ago, as nobody in the series wears such a long skirt. It's probably depicting what happened on Reiko's class trip. The guy getting struck by lightning seemed completely unaffected, I'm guessing he was the Another. That might be how Matsu found him out.
Freakish next-ep. preview...

I have to agree, that's the most sensible explanation of this apparent violation of the rules...if the calamity centers on the returned-living-dead, than a group trip with the Another included might well drag the calamity along after, and, well, you're right, virtually everyone who's a named character was on this trip.

At least Mei had her revenge on the octopus!
Old 2012-02-27, 18:51   Link #29
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

As great as this episode was for tension, I have to say I actually kind of cracked up when the entire named cast of classmates and one guy I've never seen before packed into the car.

Kirk: "The landing party will consist of myself, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, and Ensign Ricky."
Ricky: "Aw, crap."

Spoiler for Episode 08 first watch speculation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
That still doesn't account for how Kouichi's dad's memory was altered in EP6, assuming it was (although everything seems to indicate that it was altered). I think the phenomenon just has a further reach than everyone is giving it credit for.
Could his memory have been edited right then and there, over the (suspiciously disrupted) cell phone airwaves? They keep talking about the phenomenon like a transmission with limited reach. Could it piggyback on wireless signals?

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-02-27 at 19:02.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:59   Link #30
Utsuro no Hako

So, this is the beach nearest to a resort hotel, and unless Reiko is helping the kids skip class, it's a weekend or holiday ... yet there's no one there besides the main characters, not even a lifeguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
This sentence was quite interesting too. Maybe the real Reiko died and this person is actually Sakakibara's mom?
That'd be a huge cheat since everything we've been told so far is that Another is part of the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
I've had a hunch that this was the case since Kouichi's cell conversation with his dad in EP6 -- his memory was clearly altered, and he was in India. It seems as though the phenomenon is strongest in Yomiyama and weakens away from it (it took Kouichi's dad a couple of seconds and prodding from Kouichi to "correct" himself).
That's not how I read the scene -- when Sakakibara denied being in Yomiyama before, his dad thought, "Well, I guess Sakakibara would remember it better than I do. Must've been some other town. Still, coulda sworn ... ah, well, no big deal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Hmmm was wondering who gets off. At first I thought the silent kids drowns from being left, but didn't happen.
I figured pretty early in the episode that the Victim of the Week would either be the Carsick Kid or The Girl What's Not Misaki Or Twintails, though towards the middle I was hoping Teshigawara might bite it, since that would've been hilarious after the way Twintails maltreated him. And yes, I am an evil, evil man.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:00   Link #31
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post

Kirk: "The landing party will consist of myself, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, and Ensign Ricky."
LOL, score one for redshirt humor.

Quote:
Spoiler for Episode 08 first watch speculation:
It is rather interesting. They've been dropping clues like flies at us about something wrong in the family. Just off the top of my head, I note:

Spoiler for Family implications:

...I would like to know if there's any meaning to the recurrent doll motifs, though.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:01   Link #32
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
As great as this episode was for tension, I have to say I actually kind of cracked up when the entire named cast of classmates and one guy I've never seen before packed into the car.

As a huge fan of classic Star Trek, I know exactly what you mean!

Just to contribute to the thread topic itself, I was very engaged into the whole procession of having fun in the beach. It was pretty relaxing actually... well until, Ricky went to grab the ball.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:15   Link #33
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
As always the soundwork in this episode was great,not just the BGM (great version of the main theme) but all the water sounds,it's funny but I've seen a ton of beach episodes and yet this is the first time I remember being able to close my eyes and it sounds like I'm at the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveman View Post
also...what kind of IDIOT goes to swim so far at the ocean knowing they have a death curse, seriously its just a damn ball, who cares about it? I think he deserved it.
Remember,they thought the curse had no effect outside of town.So they thought they were safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That boat came out of nowhere !?
Well you can actualy see it in the backround a couple scenes before the death scene,I recognized it right away from the prologue.

The thing that bothers me with Reiko being the Another,have their been cases where the Another wasn't a student?The librarian's been keeping track and while 15 years ago he couldn't figure out who it was the rest of the time it seems to me like they were always students.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:17   Link #34
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
The fact that Kouichi's dad seemed to remember Kouichi being in Yomiyama a year and a half ago before the static moment cut in (incidentally, if it matters, I'm more in the camp of the alteration happening in Kouichi's memory of the call, not in his dad's memory off in India)
Very, very interesting thought -- I like that theory. This is probably one of those cases where having read the original novel would help.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:25   Link #35
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Oh, he's definitely been there:

Really, of all the background class members he's the one that stands out the most, except maybe the guy with glasses in the front row. Certainly more so than the girl who came on the trip.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:33   Link #36
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Good episode. I like how this beach episode was just "that". Just put the characters in a beach setting and let them do whatever they want. The death at the end was predictable though. Guess that means leaving the school helps jackshit.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-02-27, 19:49   Link #37
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow just when they thought they were free from the curse.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:51   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was a pretty good episode.

It was different from the Another we're accustomed to, but that's not a bad thing. I thought the more laid-back atmosphere of this episode did a great job fooling the viewers -as well as the characters- into a false sense of security.
Did you really have a sense of security? I was on edge the whole time, waiting for something terrible to happen. It's one of the tensest anime episodes I can remember.

Quote:

You forgot the most important part - Ensign Ricky has to be a minority, preferably African-American.
Old 2012-02-27, 19:55   Link #39
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So, this is the beach nearest to a resort hotel, and unless Reiko is helping the kids skip class, it's a weekend or holiday ... yet there's no one there besides the main characters, not even a lifeguard?
Before the car trip began, someone mentioned that it's summer vacation -- the same summer vacation that Kouichi and Mei talked about last episode. It's probably a weekday. A beach in front of a hotel, especially if that beach is privately owned by the hotel, wouldn't necessarily have a life guard on duty. There are lots of beaches in my area that don't have life guards or are particularly busy.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-02-27, 20:36   Link #40
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Wow just when they thought they were free from the curse.
It obvious that curse is following them because the Another is among to current group of people.

Tags
beach episode