AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 21 29.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 23.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 9.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-27, 20:58   Link #41
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
As soon as that damn boat came on scene I was loling so hard XD Man it was like a train just racing along! I did not expect a death scene in this episode, until the storm came a brewin'
I don't want to suspect or read the suspicions in case they are right and ruin the surprise.
Glad they didn't eat the cute fish ^-^"

Next episode looks like some epic zombie time ^-^
Old 2012-02-27, 21:04   Link #42
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Oh, he's definitely been there:

Really, of all the background class members he's the one that stands out the most, except maybe the guy with glasses in the front row. Certainly more so than the girl who came on the trip.
Left row has the best girls. The third and fourth from the bottom are cute, would be nice if they showed up sometime. lol at the derpy looking guy two seats ahead of Sakakibara.

I hope the next episode does indeed show a flashback to 1983. 1983 was a pretty awesome year, ending the Hinamizawa curse and temporarily stopping the Class 3 curse just a few weeks apart.
Old 2012-02-27, 21:07   Link #43
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Average episode. You put in a beach episode, it's just mediocre. Get this crap outta here Another, you're better than this.
Old 2012-02-27, 21:11   Link #44
Kirarakim

Meh, I know anime loves their fan service beach episodes but it totally did not feel appropriate for this series (even counting the ending).

At least next week's looks much better.

Anyways I am thinking as others have suggested the death happened outside the town, because the Another was on the trip with them. That theory makes the most sense to me.
Old 2012-02-27, 21:26   Link #45
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Meh, I know anime loves their fan service beach episodes
They were okay the first 30,000 or so times, but I've gotten really tired of them over the years. They need to go on a long furlough along with hot springs episodes.
Old 2012-02-27, 22:00   Link #46
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
What is an anime with out the obligatory beach episode, field trip, test of courage and festival day?XD Others include sports day and the body switch and being stuck together!

I can not wait for the Live action! This is well suited for it!

OT: At least this show is far better plot devices than that mini series The River...man the guy in charge of that is a a one trick pony...
Old 2012-02-27, 22:14   Link #47
Extremesonic101

It would be so funny if the boat belonged to the Misaki's :P

Kouichi's Mei-dar is spectacular!

The whole dead dude being a redshirt guy makes me lol and fear at the same time, because I really like the actress girl and when she gets a bigger role in an episode now I'll know it means she's toast :<
Old 2012-02-27, 22:34   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I really think the point of this was not "let's do the obligatory beach episode". For me at least there was a large element of satire to it, toying with the cliché by making e beach episode that was fraught with impending dread and the audience was jumping at shadows and seeing danger everywhere.
Old 2012-02-27, 22:36   Link #49
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Meh, I know anime loves their fan service beach episodes but it totally did not feel appropriate for this series (even counting the ending).

At least next week's looks much better.

Anyways I am thinking as others have suggested the death happened outside the town, because the Another was on the trip with them. That theory makes the most sense to me.
I agree also and add my vote for Reiko being the "Another".

Spoiler for wild guess:
Old 2012-02-27, 22:38   Link #50
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A beach episode with a difference. Not just how it ended, but the nice lack of intensity up to then, going through the innocent scenes without conviction. Well done. I was wondering how they could make a beach episode work in an anime like this, but they did, at least for me.

Misaki showing up was fairly silly, but I liked her so much here that it was okay.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-02-27, 22:39   Link #51
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I liked the episode overall, but the ending literally killed it for me. The death felt comical to me, rather than horrifying.

Oh my, I didn't realise that Kou Otani was the music director for this series. No wonder I'm enjoying the tracks so much! It's not just the music, but also the sound direction. This is definitely one of those shows you've got to listen with headphones. The ambient sounds add greatly to the subliminal experience.

Yup, it's fun to see Izumi going tsun on Teshigawara and dere on Kouichi. But something tells me that it's actually Teshigawara that she likes. She's just hiding it. Tsundere types usually work that way, don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm kind confused about something: that was not the class trip that was mentioned last week, right? I would understand why most of the students would decide not to participate, but it wouldn't make sense for Mikami-sensei not to be there. I guess the real trip will probably be canceled due to the new death. It'd be weird if they went on yet another trip in the next few episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So, this is the beach nearest to a resort hotel, and unless Reiko is helping the kids skip class, it's a weekend or holiday ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Before the car trip began, someone mentioned that it's summer vacation -- the same summer vacation that Kouichi and Mei talked about last episode. It's probably a weekday. A beach in front of a hotel, especially if that beach is privately owned by the hotel, wouldn't necessarily have a life guard on duty. There are lots of beaches in my area that don't have life guards or are particularly busy.
This wasn't the school trip. I believe this was the trip to the out-of-town resort where the former student, Reiko's ex-classmate, works. The students decided in the previous episode to look for him to find clues about the phenomenon. And since they were so near the beach, Reiko decided they might as well enjoy themselves as well.

Incidentally, I find it amusing that Reiko's a speed demon under that sweet exterior. I loved how tense everyone was when the oil tanker was overtaking them at the beginning. Who else thinks it's a reference to Steven Spielberg's Duel?
Old 2012-02-27, 22:43   Link #52
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I really think the point of this was not "let's do the obligatory beach episode". For me at least there was a large element of satire to it, toying with the cliché by making e beach episode that was fraught with impending dread and the audience was jumping at shadows and seeing danger everywhere.
Agreed, despite what I said in my last post I did actually enjoy this episode, the first beach episode I've enjoyed in a long time. I think the beach makes for fairly boring visuals (at least in anime, they're more appealing in real life) and their content tends to be just white noise comedy, but this episode kept its Anotherness and was a good watch (And I enjoyed the lighthearted moments, like Misaki's reactions to the seaweed and fish).

And I actually do like festival episodes, while we're on the subject, mainly because I really like the warm lighting and sense of ambience; same reason I've always loved the fair.

Quote:
Incidentally, I find it amusing that Reiko's a speed demon under that sweet exterior.
Yep, reminds me of how my grandpa was a very kind, goodnatured, and levelheaded person, but was a speed demon on the roads; he got a ticket once back in the '60s for speeding up really fast and passing about 10 or so cars in a row.
Old 2012-02-27, 23:34   Link #53
Utsuro no Hako

A school festival ep would be worth it just to see a maid cafe turn into a blood bath.
Old 2012-02-28, 00:50   Link #54
Unknown Soldier
:D

Izumi's so tsun-tsun. <3

Mei's cuteness continues to increase at a geometric rate. <3

I feel bad for the Star Trek Redshirt classmate though, I didn't even know who he was but the moment I saw him charge off into the water I knew he was done.
Old 2012-02-28, 01:08   Link #55
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

So who was the guy who died? When did he appear before? What has he done? That is the only thing I could think of when he died. Very obvious he would be the one to die though, since, yeah, he's like the most pointless of the bunch. And who is he?
I know the girly boy (can't remember his name though).
I kind of like the guy that likes Akazawa (can't remember his name though).
I really like the Megane's looks (don't remember her name though).
And I remember Akazawa's name (recently heroine-like).
But this other guy......................... Hmm?

Out of the possible ways of dying, a boat running abnormally fast and close to an occupied area, huh...
I think accidentally smashing a person's head with a bad instead of the watermelon would have been more creative though. Or the BBQ thing exploding, like that movie. Or more realistic, since she drank alcohol, they could have killed a group through drunk driving.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-02-28, 01:09   Link #56
Forsaken_Infinity

Okay... this episode felt the weakest thus far for one reason and one reason alone - the lolwtfhowthefuckwhythefuck involvement of Mei. She is lovely and all that but god damn it that killed the episode for me. She wasn't needed this episode at all.

Oh well, still a pretty good episode but I didn't feel any tension at all. I knew someone was gonna die and that it would be a death where someone would be run over by a nice boat (cursed be the people who keep bringing the prologue images every week...) all along anyway.

Reiko is very close to established as the another now. And no, it'd not be cheating just because she isn't in the class :sweat:

It doesn't really matter as to the identity of the another anyway. For all intent and purpose, they are just another living being and part of the class in some way. And I really doubt they are the key to stopping the calamity.

One thing the episode established is that nobody - not even Chibiki - knows the rules of the game all that well. They only go by assumptions and they could just be wrong.

Also, about the guy who died... he was featured prominently enough before this episode o_o. He had higher screentime than the megane even.

Pretty sure the next episode preview is but a nightmare. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong but only if it actually happened in the novel too. I seriously hate adaptations that go with original endings unless they are just stacking something supremely awesome as an add-on to clarify things or whatever.
Old 2012-02-28, 01:23   Link #57
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Also, about the guy who died... he was featured prominently enough before this episode o_o. He had higher screentime than the megane even.
Eh? Seriously? I barely even recall seeing him. (´∀`;)
The curse must be messing with someone's memories...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-02-28, 01:24   Link #58
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm kind confused about something: that was not the class trip that was mentioned last week, right? I would understand why most of the students would decide not to participate, but it wouldn't make sense for Mikami-sensei not to be there. I guess the real trip will probably be canceled due to the new death. It'd be weird if they went on yet another trip in the next few episodes.
Yea that wasn't the class trip. They will for sure end up going there if they want to learn what really happened and stopped the curse at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Eh? Seriously? I barely even recall seeing him. (´∀`;)
The curse must be messing with someone's memories...
oh you
have you added this to your list of "comedy" of the year too beta?
Old 2012-02-28, 01:55   Link #59
sa547
*Author

Once in a while everybody needs a break, and these kids are no exception. You got Izumi and some others trying to solve the problem, and a trip to the beach is one of several possible solutions to stave off any possibility of anyone killed within the school year.

So much for leaving town, and they'll have to come home with a hearse in tow. Must be that the boat pilot got himself loaded with beer.

Lesson of the day: shit happens... Anywhere, anytime.
--------------

I don't see anything wrong about having a "swimsuit edition" episode, but I'd rather see it a change of mood, pace and setting, as well as establishing further rapport between the main and supporting characters, despite the omen plaguing the class.

Anyhow, I went through the whole episode expecting a big bad one straight out of Final Destination (still had that terrifying suspension bridge scene in my head; can't unsee), but in the end the usual red shirt boy bit the dust.

Now we have 4 episodes left, and so I wonder who will be the ones left standing in the end.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-02-28 at 02:19.
Old 2012-02-28, 02:17   Link #60
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Average episode. You put in a beach episode, it's just mediocre. Get this crap outta here Another, you're better than this.
Oh lighten up! This was pretty much a subversion of the typical beach episode, as it was just a case of waiting to see who died and how.

Would it be the fuel tanker?
What about the poisonous fish?
Or the guy they buried in the sand?

This was NOT your typical beach episode.

On top of which we learned two things.
You can't simply escape the curse by leaving town. There was a distinct tension as they approached the boundary line, exacerbated by the fuel tanker. Once they crossed the boundary line, there was a visible feeling of relief.
"Phew! We made it out of town! Now we're all safe and we can blow off the tension we've all been under!"

The second thing was the possibility of a message left behind showing how to defeat the curse, and it's no coincidence the wind blew that beachball out to sea when that was being discussed.

So there was plot advancement as well as a canny subversion of typical anime tropes.

Last edited by Dop; 2012-02-28 at 04:29.
Closed Thread

Tags
beach episode