AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-08, 14:39   Link #1
stunt296

Someone help me out!

I really need an anime recommendation. What I want is something with a fair amount of action, suspense and good story. It doesn't have to be too recent, but it can't be too old! It also can't be too childish(Bakugan, Beyblade, Yugioh, all that crap). I think that's a given though.

For a basic idea of what I'm into, I'm currently watching Sword Art Online, which I love and Naruto Shippuuden. I know the latter isn't favored by a lot of people, but I've been watching it since episode one and it wouldn't feel right to just abandon it. If it weren't for non-stop fillers, it would probably get more attention as it has some nice eye-candy action lol. The games are also really fun, especially the latest installment.

I also really liked FMA:Brotherhood, Basilisk, Yu Yu Hakusho and Ranma 1/2. Also, for the love of god, please don't suggest Fairy Tail. I've never liked One Piece, so I know i won't like it. The art style just turns me off!

I also already saw Bleach, which was OK. There wasn't much story other than the "go fight these guys and save the girl" formula. Action was good though.

Oh yeah, forgot one more thing...No mechs please! That goes for Eureka 7, Gundam, FMP, NGE, you name it. Thank you.
stunt296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 14:49   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I highly recommends Hunter X Hunter (the artwork might be a little childish, but the story is more mature however), Busou Renkin and Code: Breaker. They are short, but they fit the request. Guilty Crown is also a given.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 14:56   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Full Metal Panic comes to mind

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 14:57   Link #4
stunt296

I started watching HXH, the new one, a little while ago and got upto episode 3 or 4 and I didn't get the urge to continue it. I'm guessing it gets better later on? As for the others, I'll definitely check them out. Thank you!

@Sackett I've seen that series already and as I said in my request, I'm not a big fan of mechs. But I have to admit, Fumoffu is one of the funniest anime I've ever seen.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:02   Link #5
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt296 View Post
I started watching HXH, the new one, a little while ago and got upto episode 3 or 4 and I didn't get the urge to continue it. I'm guessing it gets better later on?
As someone who enjoyed the 1999 one, the beginning of the 2011 version seemed slow, but once it starts picking up in the middle part, it really gets better since. You don't regret watching it if you think of such.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-12-08, 15:12   Link #6
stunt296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
As someone who enjoyed the 1999 one, the beginning of the 2011 version seemed slow, but once it starts picking up in the middle part, it really gets better since. You don't regret watching it if you think of such.
I'll definitely give it another chance then. Idk if I'm allowed to ask this, but do you know if there are any batch files available? (I know it's not done yet, but I've seen batch files that contain only a portion of the series, like 25 episodes or so)
Old 2012-12-08, 15:13   Link #7
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
I'll definitely give it another chance then. Idk if I'm allowed to ask this, but do you know if there are any batch files available? (I know it's not done yet, but I've seen batch files that contain only a portion of the series, like 25 episodes or so)
I only watches anime on various streaming sites, so I can't say something.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-12-08, 15:18   Link #8
stunt296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
I only watches anime on various streaming sites, so I can't say something.
Alright, well I'll check it out regardless. Thanks.
Old 2012-12-08, 16:08   Link #9
kitten320

Yeh H x H does get better as it progresses. It best arc would be Phantom arc which is airing now. IF something you can try the old version of the series.

Fairy Tail's art is much better than One Piece
At least characters don't have massive mouths, massive eyes and Pinocchio noses.

Hmm... do you mind if I will include some darker titles?

Baccano! - great anime with great characters and unique story telling. Episode 1 is the worst of the bunch.

I know you said nothing old but Berserk is a really good choice. If you really can't stand the art, you can try newly released movies but in all honesty old TV series are better.

Claymore - unique art with dark and interesting story.

D.Gray-man - reminds a bit of Bleach but I think it is 10 times better. At least it doesn't have dumb "Save the girls" arcs. Well it kinda does but not really.

Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero - F/Z is much better than F/SN but it is a newly released prequel and if you watch it first, you'll kill all the enjoyment from F/ST since it reveals almost all its mysteries.

Ga-Rei Zero - "Will you kill the one you love because of love?", nice action and story.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - before you twist your face in disgust, believe me this series are much better than it looks. Cute art is deceiving mechanism, story is much darker and enjoyable than you think. At least check first 3 episodes.

Mirai Nikki - this series have an enjoyable story though I didn't like the last few episodes.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - more heavy series about people who were forced to become assassins.

Soul Eater - a good shounen choice.

Toaru Majutsu no Index - are nice action series.

Hopefully some of this will be to your liking.

EDIT: EEEHHHH?!
What the hell does "111" mean and what did I say wrong in order to earn a neg rep?! 0_0
I didn't bitch about anything and most of the series I recommended are world wide famous!
WTF?!

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-12-08 at 18:26.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 20:15   Link #10
Kurohane

I second Busou Renkin. I also recommend Magi, Fortune Arterial, and Eden of the East.
Old 2012-12-09, 00:50   Link #11
stunt296

It's funny cause when I read Busou Renkin, I was like that name rings a bell. Then I looked it up and it was very familliar. Then it hit me. He's a playable character in Jump! Ultimate Stars. Looks like I'll be checking that one out, his fighting style was appealing to me in that game. Thanks to all!

@kitten320 As for the negative rep, I have no idea what happened because you gave a really good recommendation so I would never do that lol. But thanks for your suggestions!
Old 2012-12-09, 01:36   Link #12
Eragon
Still Alive

I would suggest staying away from Berserk movie - It can only be appreciated by people who have seen the TV series since a lot subtlities are missing in the movie. That said, definitely watch the TV series. The only things that surpass it in my book are Miyazaki and Ghibli movies.

And, I second most of Kitten's recommendation.
Old 2012-12-09, 07:36   Link #13
kitten320

Quote:
@kitten320 As for the negative rep, I have no idea what happened because you gave a really good recommendation so I would never do that lol. But thanks for your suggestions!
I guess it was one of my personal haters then...

Oh well, as long as it wasn't you. It's fine
Old 2012-12-09, 08:44   Link #14
Eragon
Still Alive

^ It's probably a One Piece fan. And 11 means laughter in AOE 2 chat
Old 2012-12-09, 16:12   Link #15
stunt296

It probably was. In any case, i gave buso renkin a look and the opening song was strangely familliar. I even remember this papillon fellow. I feel like Ive watched it before, but idk if i did. Its very confusing :s.

I also gave HxH a second chance and im hooked! Reminds me a lot of yu yu hakusho! Thanks again!

I also heard about Accel World being similar to SAO, but idk if its any good? Thoughts?

Last edited by stunt296; 2012-12-09 at 16:39.
Old 2012-12-09, 19:29   Link #16
kitten320

No surprises there, H x H is done by same author as Yu Yu Hakusho.
Just for information, since anime has 2 versions, some things are handed better in one and some in other. For example I prefer conclusion to Phantom arc in old OVA more.

I'll be blunt here... I personally hate SAO. I have a lot of issues with this series.
Accel World is far from being perfect but I prefer it more. It has a completely different story and completely different take on online gaming. MC is a massive crybaby though... SAO is better in that area.

Since you like SAO it might be not your thing but I would still give it a try just to see the differences and decide if you want to watch anymore.
Old 2012-12-10, 07:44   Link #17
Dark Pride

Darker Than Black - en years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The real stars disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people possessing various special abilities emerged, each capable of different supernatural feats - these are known as Contractors. Each Contractor has a corresponding fake star, which reacts to their activities idk if you will Like but its CooL.
Old 2012-12-12, 22:42   Link #18
Siphine
The Dreamer

To Aru Majutsu no Index seems to fill all your requirements, in fact i've only gotten to epsiode 10, (out of 34 i think) but i'm still watching it and keeps me entertained so you should try it

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote