AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-03, 17:31   Link #2361
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Wait, who said that Sheryl was only popular because of her looks? I mean, besides delusional people who worship Ranka, that is.
No one that I know of off hand. I mean, besides those people that is. >>
Old 2010-12-03, 19:13   Link #2362
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
No one that I know of off hand. I mean, besides those people that is. >>
*Waits for Magnus to show up and throw a fit over the use of the term "those people."*
Old 2010-12-03, 19:19   Link #2363
Bri

I would say Sheryl is surprisingly popular despite her looks. I don't think Risa Ebata is anywhere as good at designing beautiful women as Haruhiko Mikimoto or Takahiro Kishida, if we're just looking at other Macross shows. Not that Sheryl is a dog but she's more attractive then beautiful.

A non-stereotype personality, flamboyant dress style and catchy pop songs seem to be enough (hey, it works for lady Gaga) .

Come to think of it, this lack of physical beauty might be what hurt Ranka (far more then Sheryl). A moe-character of the clumsy dense type really has to really nestle itself in the fans hearts to be forgiven all the mistakes and trouble they cause (see Yui Hirasawa of K-on infamy on how it's done). Ranka just isn't pretty and cute enough to pull that off. For example I haven't seen one Macross-fan complain about Milia being untrustworthy and stupid for betraying her kind . Anyhow I think if Ranka had looked and acted more like a young Mao Nome or Mylene Genius, she could have been much more popular.
Old 2010-12-03, 19:31   Link #2364
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Anyhow I think if Ranka had looked and acted more like a young Mao Nome or Mylene Genius, she could have been much more popular.
Yeah they really missed the mark with Ranka.. still very popular in her own right but not as popular as she should've been considering the success of Macross Frontier... which outsells shows like Geass, Gundam 00, Haruhi and K-ON!.

I think if they had tweaked her look and how she acted a tad as well as give her a popular VA she would've been really.. really popular.. especially if Sheryl wasn't so Sheryltastic.
Old 2010-12-03, 19:58   Link #2365
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yeah they really missed the mark with Ranka.. still very popular in her own right but not as popular as she should've been considering the success of Macross Frontier... which outsells shows like Geass, Gundam 00, Haruhi and K-ON!.

I think if they had tweaked her look and how she acted a tad as well as give her a popular VA she would've been really.. really popular.. especially if Sheryl wasn't so Sheryltastic.
I suddenly imagined Aya Hirano voicing Ranka...and shuddered involuntarily.

And this is completely circumstantial, I know...but I've met more people here who know who Megumi is (and like her) than I have people who know who May'n is. From my observation, I don't think the split among the Japanese fandom is as lopsided as people here are portraying it. Sheryl is assuredly more popular, but not by THAT wide a margin, as far as I can tell.
Old 2010-12-03, 20:44   Link #2366
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post

And this is completely circumstantial, I know...but I've met more people here who know who Megumi is (and like her) than I have people who know who May'n is.
That's not very surprising though, May Nakabayashi as a singer has only performed a few songs for anime. She is not a seiyu and I don't think many people in anime circles (except Macross fans) will know of her. Megumi has at least had a few more performances as a seiyu. Aya Endo on the other hand, who voiced Sheryl, is one of the top names in the business.

It's slightly obscene how many top seiyu's voiced supporting characters in Frontier. Rie Tanaka, Kikuko Inoue and Ara Hirano, and each of them has their own fanbase. I'm not saying any of them would have gotten more out of Ranka (as I think her failings lie in her visual design), but maybe it would have helped Rankas popularity (in comparison to other anime characters of the time). Hirano's voice suits assertive characters better but Rie Tanaka (Lacus Clyne for example) would have definitely been a good choice. This is assuming the producers cared about character popularity at all.
Old 2010-12-03, 23:08   Link #2367
Lancel

Quote:
From my observation, I don't think the split among the Japanese fandom is as lopsided as people here are portraying it. Sheryl is assuredly more popular, but not by THAT wide a margin, as far as I can tell.
I agree with this assessment. I don't think Ranka is unpopular, she has her fan base, really I just feel she tends to get overshadowed by Sheryl. Sheryl can just about legitimately be compared to legendary anime characters, but because of the Love Triangle, Sheryl is the natural comparison for Ranka. I mean really if the two were separated and Ranka was in her own show I think she'd shine great for her own strengths.

Though now I seem to be diverging a bit off topic. As for beauty, I think Sheryl is quite pretty. At the very least everyone always draws her with wonderful hair. I think that's the part of her character design that stands out most to me. That and her earrings.
Old 2010-12-03, 23:10   Link #2368
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

And this is completely circumstantial, I know...but I've met more people here who know who Megumi is (and like her) than I have people who know who May'n is. From my observation, I don't think the split among the Japanese fandom is as lopsided as people here are portraying it. Sheryl is assuredly more popular, but not by THAT wide a margin, as far as I can tell.
(*Raised hand*) me think me really like Mamegu more then May'n.

But then, I like Aya Endo more then Mamegu.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-12-03, 23:30   Link #2369
Westlo
Lets be reality

Tanaka Rie really doesn't do anything like Ranka anymore.. As for Lacus Clyne if people still think Tanaka Rie = Lacus when it comes to vocal abilities they have missed out on a lot... it's no coincidence that western manga fanbase nearly always want her to voice a certain type of character lol.. which sadly never happens lol.

Quote:
I was thinking more Nana Mizuki or Maaya Sakamoto. If they wanted to split the singing and vocal roles that opens it up even more.

Quote:
Songs aside, Endo run circles around Megumi went it came to vocal work. I love Sheryl's songs but if her VA did a poor job I doubt I would like her character as much as I do now. I think Endo is a great VA, one of the better female VAs to get recoginzed in the last 5 years, her best supporting VA award (sheryl was listed but after K.Rie got one the year before for voicing Nagi the lead female of Hayate.. seemed more like a consolation prize for just missing Best Actress) from last years seiyuu awards shows a lot of people are paying attention.
Old 2010-12-03, 23:58   Link #2370
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I think Lacus Clyne, while being one of the most recognized work for Rie T, is one of her weakest character overall. Even she tried to run away from being pigeonholed into that sort of character, lucky for her, she survived, the same cant be said to Rie K tho

And this coming from a Lacus fanboy :3
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-12-04, 03:13   Link #2371
magnuskn

Quote:
*Waits for Magnus to show up and throw a fit over the use of the term "those people."*
Do I sound like an American? We Germans got other hang-ups than minor verbiage issues.
Old 2010-12-07, 22:34   Link #2372
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

BEST OF 2010. Sheryl at #4....SURROUNDED by Haruhi and her moeblob clones.

Old 2010-12-07, 23:28   Link #2373
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Go Sheryl, Go CC

*weeps for the disappearance of Lacus Clyne* T-T
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-12-08, 04:21   Link #2374
moncikoma

she goes up from 7 tp 4...soon she will take the lead again!!!
Old 2010-12-08, 04:48   Link #2375
erfine
hugs@Ranka

Quote:
I don't get why people always equate the characters and their VAs. You could absolutely love a character and yet find their VA to be absolutely atrocious as a singer (or the opposite).

Also, I love when people infer the preferences of people in Japan using the force or something awesome like that. Presumably the only legit way to know the "margin" between one character's popularity and another's is by going across the country and documenting lotsa individual opinions (n > 4, and don't include the viewpoint of your pet rabbit). Oh wait, that's already been done. They're called polls.
Old 2010-12-08, 18:58   Link #2376
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfine View Post
I don't get why people always equate the characters and their VAs. You could absolutely love a character and yet find their VA to be absolutely atrocious as a singer (or the opposite).
I agree completely, which is why all the Megumi hate (reflected from Ranka hate) on this site irked me to no end. Thankfully, it seems to have settled down somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfine View Post
Also, I love when people infer the preferences of people in Japan using the force or something awesome like that. Presumably the only legit way to know the "margin" between one character's popularity and another's is by going across the country and documenting lotsa individual opinions (n > 4, and don't include the viewpoint of your pet rabbit). Oh wait, that's already been done. They're called polls.
True, true...which is why I pointed out that my evidence is completely circumstantial. I've been lucky enough to talk to quite a number of Macross fans at a number of events, and I go to a lot of stores and see what merchandise they display. The most I've ever seen is a mild preference for Sheryl. Again, I'm not saying my word is law, or that it's anything scientific...I'm just saying that's what I've seen. It was my observations, clearly labelled as my observations. That's fair, isn't it?
Old 2010-12-09, 09:06   Link #2377
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
*weeps for the disappearance of Lacus Clyne* T-T
Right? Kira is number four but Lacus is gone? The tragedy!

Hopefully K-On fever will die by the time the second movie is out, and Sheryl will over take them all.
Old 2010-12-09, 10:17   Link #2378
moncikoma

maybe sheryl will raise up more because [spoiler] she's dead... [spoiler]
based on the next upcoming kiss on the galaxy manga
Old 2010-12-18, 03:35   Link #2379
soranarumi
the Crowned Clown

I do love Sheryl from the first time I watched Macross Frontier. She got such a great talent, and attractive personality too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
maybe sheryl will raise up more because [spoiler] she's dead... [spoiler]
based on the next upcoming kiss on the galaxy manga
Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-19, 14:50   Link #2380
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by soranarumi View Post
I do love Sheryl from the first time I watched Macross Frontier. She got such a great talent, and attractive personality too.

Spoiler:
Don't worry we don't know it for sure
Maybe she just faint...
Closed Thread

Tags
characters