AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 58 29.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 30.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 28.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.51%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.03%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-27, 23:21   Link #381
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

...and immediately looses all interest in peeping.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-06-28, 14:29   Link #382
Benio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Nothing like people who slam an episode without having even SEEN it ... nothing but pointless hearsay. Now that's some deep and credible reviewing. Yay.

*rolls eyes*

Claymore is definitely by far the most detailed and undiluted conversion of a manga source I've seen in the last years. In fact, that's probably the reason why such a vociferous minority here can't suppress their whiny urges because the _facial expressions_ (!!!) don't entirely match the manga. For 95% of the other conversions they don't even follow the storyline. And we're talking about screenshots.

Jesus friggen Christ on a bicycle.

Sorry, but this kind of stuff is really getting on my nerves. Look up "spoiled rotten" in Websters.
I was busy and then couldn't get on the Internet for a few days. Now that ep 13 has come out, I hope you'll still visit this thread and get to read this.

Honestly, I've been a fan of yours for over 2 years now and always liked your analyses and writing. Probably the only exception is your continual saying that Claymore manga readers who express their dissatisfaction with the anime are whiners. The point I tried to make is that this is an anime which is adapted from an original manga and therefore it's natural for manga readers to have certain expectations of how the anime should be executed or how the characters should be portrayed. And I do think we are entitled to judge the anime based on how well it's adapted from the manga too. Just like Marimite, some novel readers expressed their dissatisfaction with some differences between the anime and novel and that's okay. And people seemed to be okay with that. However, that's not the case with Claymore and I don't understand why. I'm sure the comments that have to do with the words "whiner", "whiny", "whining" are getting on the nerves of some manga fans here, myself included. (So we are even I guess.)

And I didn't say the anime was bad. I said it was "inferior" to the manga and that I was disappointed. The anime is pretty well done and very faithful to the manga storywise. The drawing and animation is quite good. The voice acting is full of quality although I do feel the characters could sound more youthful and hip despite the serious medieval atmosphere. What the anime differs from the manga most of the time is the so-called "minor" details that don't affect the storyline but affect the audience's impression of characters or insight to their thinking and behavior. That's what's called "subtlety" and that Yagi Norihiro puts plenty in the manga while the anime somewhat lacks. That's what disappointed me and got me to think that the director did not read the manga carefully. (I should've mentioned about this in my previous post.) Several people expressed their disappointment with how Teresa, one of the most loved characters, was portrayed. Some people have already mentioned about how some cut scenes of her or Ophelia including the facial expressions stuff took away from the experience. Also for me, the scene where awaken Priscilla attacked Irene, Sophia and Noel that was changed was overdone. Why? I remember reading someone's post that he/she thought Irene might have survived because the attack didn't seem as brutal as in the case of the other two. In the manga, you could only wonder if those 3 died or survived. I also think that the scene where Galatea first appears in the manga with her face shown close-up is more classy than her walking up to the Organization guy like in the anime. Yeah, I'm really a number 1 fan of the manga.

This board is about expressing one's opinion and you sure are entitled to agree/disagree and express your opinion in a polite and respectful manner. But to continually call people who judge the anime using different criteria from you whiners and be so condescending (like "use your brain cells") and sarcastic when presenting an argument, I'm not sure about that. You may not realize it but I think you've changed quite a bit.

[Edit: I wanted to add that I didn't mean to review ep 12 at all in my previous post and I don't think I did. I simply said what I thought based on the screencaps and some posts I saw as well as my impression of the anime based on what I had seen so far. In no way does that translate into or is intended to be deep, credible reviewing of ep 12. Also, I'd like take back what I said about what the anime differs from the manga most of the time. After reading some posts again, I found that I didn't pay careful attention to every single scene that the anime deviated from the manga and I apologize for that. Some may indeed be for the better and more suitable for the anime format and the time it had. Credit to the director for that. The big problem for me is the director's choice in how he changed/added/cut certain scenes that affected how certain characters were portrayed that deviated from the manga (of course, facial expressions included) . I just think that if you're a true fan and respect the mangaka and manga fans, you can't and should not do wrong with how to portray characters like Teresa, Ophelia, and Clare. The rest is just minor and a matter of preference. Of course, that's just my opinion and it has made me enjoy the anime less than some other manga readers who don't mind this stuff (good for them) but that's okay. I just wanted to express what I thought. This board is for everyone who's watching this anime, whether they have read the manga or not or like or dislike certain things in the anime based whatever criteria/expectations they have in mind. All in all, everyone should be free and encouraged to express their opinion as long as it's done in a polite and respectful manner and does not violate the rules of the board.]

Last edited by Benio; 2007-06-29 at 00:33. Reason: Wanted to say more things and change some choice of word
Old 2007-06-30, 16:28   Link #383
karasuma

Sorry if this has been brought up before. Did Clare wear any stocking at all? She seems to attach both her leg and the stocking with it... hrm...?!?
Old 2007-06-30, 19:06   Link #384
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up before. Did Clare wear any stocking at all? She seems to attach both her leg and the stocking with it... hrm...?!?
I noticed that, too. Since, as far as we know, Claymore clothes cannot regenerate, I would attribute this to a lapse in the continuation/logistics department or a brain fart by one of the animators and a lack of time to correct it.
Alternatively, maybe she regenerated them in the manga, too. Must be those half-awakened powers
Old 2007-06-30, 19:50   Link #385
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I noticed that, too. Since, as far as we know, Claymore clothes cannot regenerate, I would attribute this to a lapse in the continuation/logistics department or a brain fart by one of the animators and a lack of time to correct it.
Alternatively, maybe she regenerated them in the manga, too. Must be those half-awakened powers
Ha! Good explanation.. I am sure they will fix that in DVD.
Old 2007-07-01, 01:14   Link #386
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It looked just the same in the manga. It annoyed me a trifle, but I won't quibble over it. It is as if her leggings are painted onto her legs so that it can't fall down. In the manga there was just a line across her legging after she regenerated.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-07-01, 15:03   Link #387
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It looked just the same in the manga. It annoyed me a trifle, but I won't quibble over it. It is as if her leggings are painted onto her legs so that it can't fall down. In the manga there was just a line across her legging after she regenerated.
Even more interesting. When clare is injuried, she has bandage put on top of her full body suit. Normally, who would do that? Maybe the author just don't want us to see what kindn of scar Clare has yet...
Old 2007-07-01, 16:44   Link #388
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Q: Who would put a bandage over their clothing?

A: Almost every character in almost every anime. If you haven't seen this done before then you are quite new to anime. It is extremely rare to see someone remove clothing before bandaging. Yeah, it is incredibly dumb. Despite seeing it so often it still bugs me, but I don't bother mentioning it anymore.

Old 2007-07-03, 20:47   Link #389
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Since when clothing actually contributing anything to the story?
Old 2007-09-12, 14:10   Link #390
lenneal

sry if u guys alrdy brought this up earlier all i have to sa is that ophilea is soooo kool...well as far as ur freaky nut job girls go but i give the ep a 10 oh and btw clare kissed raki ownage!!
Closed Thread