Spoiler:
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 15:11   Link #102
SoranGTR
SIEG HARUHI!!!

Send a message via MSN to SoranGTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Hey everyone. If you're interested in collecting the microbe cast of Moyashimon, CDJapan is listing the limited edition plush toys for $13US each (plus shipping).

You can get

L Yogurti
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=NEOSL-12377

C Tricoides
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=NEOSL-12376

P Chrysogenum
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=NEOSL-12375

or everyone's favorite A Oryzae
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=NEOSL-12374

They all ship January 20, 2008. I think I'll have to pick some of these up.

Damn it, they're poisonous to my wallet. I pre-ordered an A Oryzae because it just looked damn cute...
Nothing shall stand between me and my destiny.
Amen
SoranGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 18:59   Link #103
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbluef View Post
Here a question to baffle our brains while we wait for the next episode:

If yeast is used in the production of alcohol, then can we get drunk if we ate fermented bread dough that had sugar in the original mixture?
You can make alcohol by fermenting pretty much anything, e.g. vodka is made with potatoes, sake is made with rice, and wines can be made from any fruit or even vegetables (I've had carrot wine for instance). You don't need sugar as such, as I think was explained in the sake episode, one bacteria converts starch into sugar, then the yeast converts the sugar into alcohol.

As for using bread, well bread is wheat, and you can get German beers made from wheat. In fact all beers are made from fermented grain (usually malted barley).

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 20:27   Link #104
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

Thanks for the rather informative replies
westbluef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 20:42   Link #105
d.sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
Jeez, I wish someone makes an anime for Physics or chemistry and make it as entertaining as Moyashimon. How about an anime series with the 112 known elements? It'd take a helluvalong time to do, a helluvalotta work to do, but it could be as amusing as Moyashimon =)
I say they should have made everything in school like Moyashimon.
d.sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 00:11   Link #106
Kenn
Stomp

i wonder..will it have the same effect like Hikaru no Go? If it started a whack o' otakus onto go...will Moyashimon put otaku's into Agriculture? O_O
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 05:30   Link #107
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

Maybe, but you'll never know..
Old 2007-11-20, 20:16   Link #108
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One of my favorites touches in this show are the little feet on the 3-D microbes. Gawd, they're cute.

This could be the most hilarious show of the season. I laughed pretty much non-stop through episode three. It's amazing how they've wrapped a mini-course in basic microbiology into a comedic anime, and one with a plot no less! I'm waiting for the evil corporations to arrive hoping to exploit Sawaki-kun's abiility.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 05:35   Link #109
abdelito

Hi there, I had a question about this very interesting show, regarding fansub groups on it.

I watched first eps from Shinsen, and I just saw Umai was working on it. As I expected, Umai's version is "better-looking" (karaokes, typeset etc...) but the translations are so different I don't know which one to choose ! thanks for your help
abdelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 06:29   Link #110
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I can't speak for Shinsen or Umai, but the translator for the BSS version is a med student in Japan, so at least you know he got the really tricky stuff right. You might find it interesting to download BSS and compare it with the other two.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 11:36   Link #111
Jiji
*Scanlator

Huh. Thanks for the info, NSW -- that's very interesting. I was switching to Shinsen mostly b/c I liked that Shinsen TLed signs and stuff in the backgrounds...but if BSS is more accurate for the biology...hm...this might end up being a series where I keep two sets. I haven't done that very often, but every once in a while...
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 11:55   Link #112
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Well, if we're talking credentials - one of the Umai staff is a biology post-grad, so we're generally all right with the "difficult stuff" too
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 18:48   Link #113
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I've been watching the BSS subs since they were the first group to pick the series up, and so far I've felt no reason to look at any of the others. The subtitles are nicely done, and there's onscreen biology notes from their Japanese biologist about all the microbes (or in a couple of cases separate text files for stuff that wouldn't fit onscreen). Best of all they offer direct downloads! Talk about personal service.

But if another subber would offer to mail out free plushies of the microbes I'd switch in an instant...

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 22:12   Link #114
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
But if another subber would offer to mail out free plushies of the microbes I'd switch in an instant...
Count me in I'd defiantly switch to theirs in an instant...
Hmmm....
Maybe I'll try Umai's sub and comare it to BSS just out of boredom...
Old 2007-11-22, 15:11   Link #115
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
You can make alcohol by fermenting pretty much anything, e.g. vodka is made with potatoes, sake is made with rice, and wines can be made from any fruit or even vegetables (I've had carrot wine for instance). You don't need sugar as such, as I think was explained in the sake episode, one bacteria converts starch into sugar, then the yeast converts the sugar into alcohol.

As for using bread, well bread is wheat, and you can get German beers made from wheat. In fact all beers are made from fermented grain (usually malted barley).
THANKS for info.
is cool to know the different .W.

i really like this anime as it was funs to watch
as well adding some more knowlege to my head about the effects of things ,anyway.~
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 02:42   Link #116
Kenn
Stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou
Who wouldn't?

I'm totally going to try to brew sake with the method Prof. Itsuki used (since the other two guys had a rather unconventional method)
Old 2007-11-23, 04:51   Link #117
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
Who wouldn't?

I'm totally going to try to brew sake with the method Prof. Itsuki used (since the other two guys had a rather unconventional method)
I'm betting the first version was initially more popular since the marketing spin was the "coming out of the mouth of a virgin shrine maiden"
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 03:20   Link #118
Kenn
Stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
I'm betting the first version was initially more popular since the marketing spin was the "coming out of the mouth of a virgin shrine maiden"
I can almost see an ad for sake brewed that way.

Staying slightly on topic, if you could have a "pet microbe" (like how Sawaki has Oryzae-tan) which one would you have? Personally, I'd like to be able to see them Oryzae for me too.
Old 2007-11-28, 08:35   Link #119
Kuzzy
Sleep Deprived
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdelito View Post
I watched first eps from Shinsen, and I just saw Umai was working on it. ...but the translations are so different I don't know which one to choose ! thanks for your help
Hi there!

I am doing the translation for Shinsen, and while I can't claim to have a post-graduate (or even undergraduate) degree in biology or that I am a med student in Japan (although I am a student in Japan), what I can claim is that I spend a whole lot of time researching as I translate to make sure that my translation is accurate. I haven't personally watched either the BSS or Umai versions, so I cannot comment on them, but I can guarantee that a lot of effort is put into the Shinsen sub to ensure that it is of very high quality.

I won't tell anyone to switch - if you're enjoying the releases you're watching, then that's great - but if you're looking for a release to get started with, I whole-heartedly back Shinsen. Then again, I am definitely biased! Whichever release you choose, I hope you enjoy this great show!
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 22:07   Link #120
Sgt. Rar
Fansubber
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Sgt. Rar Send a message via AIM to Sgt. Rar Send a message via MSN to Sgt. Rar Send a message via Yahoo to Sgt. Rar
I'm from BSS and I'm not going to tell anyone to watch our subs, but they are worth a try. We're a great team who works hard enough I don't even know why I'm posting at all.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the subs for a long time to come, because we're not going anywhere and we hope to keep pumping out subs for you guys.

Enjoy!
Sgt. Rar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina, seinen