AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-06-01, 04:18   Link #1001
Takigan

Oh, and that was post #1,000 btw.

#5 most posted thread in the Current Series forum, and #6 in page views.
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 04:30   Link #1002
Dharma

Spoiler for translation:
Old 2015-06-01, 05:04   Link #1003
Vaans
NEET

NOOO! Kumiko-chan, don't cry!

http://coolfunnyquotes.com .”
Vaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 07:04   Link #1004
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The next episode sounds like it's going to sting. I have a sneaking suspicion of how this could go into a second season and what it will do for all the character dynamics, Kumiko especially. It's a long shot, but I get the feeling that--

Oh, look at the time.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 08:24   Link #1005
Dysprosium
Banned

I would love a S2, & if it manages to pace itself well in the remaining episodes, it could work out nicely. Fingers crossed.
Dysprosium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 09:21   Link #1006
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
There is ambiguity in her denials, however.
In my opinion, there is no ambiguity in her denials. However, I probably should clarify what I mean by me not seeing any ambiguity in her denials.

My point isn't that her denials are so very authoritative that they mean she will never be interested in Shu, romantically. But her denials are not ambiguous in how they sincerely convey the following - She really isn't interested in Shu romantically, right now.

Very often in anime, these sorts of romantic denials are insincere, or at least give some hints of being possibly so. Not in this case, imo. Kumiko's denial is sincere in the moment.

But yes, her denial is largely because the very idea of her and Shu "going out" and "being a couple" hasn't even crossed her mind. At least not since Shu insulted her back in middle-school.

I'm not saying that Kumiko is totally repulsed by Shu, and he has literally 0 chance with her. I'm just saying that these denials are in fact sincere, in the moment. They don't imply the opposite of what they're saying.

Things can change, of course, but like yourself, I see how much time is left before this season of Hibike is over, and well...

A romantically open-ended ending, for this season at least, is quite possible, given how KyoAni has chosen to frame things so far.
Old 2015-06-01, 12:09   Link #1007
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah, I posted the name before. It's called "The Place Where We Found Love" (愛を見つけた場所). It's a vocal sound by Oku Hanako.

It's included in the second disc of an album called "BEST -My Letters-".
Ooh, thanks. I remember Oku Hanako from her theme to Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 13:37   Link #1008
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
I need more of this
NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That's really cute. ^.^

Quote:

Kumiko's reactions to Shuichi (top) and Reina (bottom). The Japanese get it.
Summed up so perfectly in one picture. I'm also rather fond of Kumiko's face and voice when she has her really flat and uninterested attitude, like the first picture.

As for the preview, I particularly like that soundtrack track, it's come up a few times. Nothing surprising in the actual preview really, partly because I'm still going with the "opening shows who makes it" theory.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 13:42   Link #1009
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:

----------------------------------------

Kumiko's reactions to Shuichi (top) and Reina (bottom). The Japanese get it.
Would have been better with 'ha' instead

Least I know there's one other possible pairing: sensei

lol he put the relationship at -10 points with that line... so that's why it was ke....

Last edited by bhl88; 2015-06-01 at 15:32.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-02, 08:32   Link #1010
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In my opinion, there is no ambiguity in her denials. However, I probably should clarify what I mean by me not seeing any ambiguity in her denials.

My point isn't that her denials are so very authoritative that they mean she will never be interested in Shu, romantically. But her denials are not ambiguous in how they sincerely convey the following - She really isn't interested in Shu romantically, right now.

*snip*
Wanted to reply to this before the next episode arrives later tonight..

When you frame it that way, I agree -- except that I would say she's not interested even in the notion of romantic relationships at the moment, whether her own or those of the people around her. At least, until she is shocked to find herself in a triangle. I still don't expect much to come of it before the end of the anime, but I do expect it to be something on Kumiko's mind from now on, even if the prefectural competition still comes first.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-02, 09:34   Link #1011
Kamieichi

Second KyoAni fan event is announced.
http://kyoanido-event.com/
http://kyoanido-event.com/en/
Even though Hibike! novel is not published by KyoAni, it is one of the features of the event. So it is safe to say KyoAni has a right to the anime, and which means there is a high possibility of sequels even if BD/DVD sales numbers are not so great.

---------------------------------
Super AsuKawaii image
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=50661619
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-02, 10:24   Link #1012
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would say Kumiko is definitely romantically interested in Shu: She just doesn't realise it yet.

Probably the most obvious hint is in the ambiguity in her denials. When Kumiko and Kousaka finished hiking up the mountain, Kousaka asks if she's really that interested in Shu. The surprised Kumiko denies it but Kousaka goes "Hmm.. is that so?" with a strong sense of suspicion. I think the point of that scene is clear: It's a really standard narrative trick in anime to give the viewer a reason to doubt a denial by having another character not buy it. Besides, the fact that Kousaka managed to connect Kumiko's attention towards the festival lights to Shu is pretty telling as well.

There are other signs as well, most notably the fact that Kumiko had a clear opportunity to reject Shu (The moment where she uses Kousaka as an excuse) but instead of simply telling him he didn't think of him that way, she makes an effort to avoid and evade. If her feelings are that clear then why is she avoiding the issue? You could argue that she wants to avoid hurting his feelings, but why would she do that to someone she otherwise shows no effort in expressing disdain towards? The only answer is that she doesn't actually hold disdain towards him at all which leads to the next question: Why, in an anime, would a girl showing disdain towards her male childhood friend when she doesn't actually hold him in disdain?

The other hint is the fact that they're so familiar with each other. The way they're able to converse with one another and hang out with each other with such ease and comfort, isn't there for no narrative reason. Now this wouldn't normally mean anything in real life but this is animeland and if at least one character remarks upon it as if it's a peculiarity/a sign of romance (which has already happened in this show) then that's the story telling us how to interpret it. Anybody seen Nagi no Asukara? There's a scene in Episode 17 when Kaname watches Tsumugu and Chisaki interact in the kitchen and he isn't all that pleased. It's a trope that appears a lot in anime romances: when the story makes an effort to show how familiar a guy and a girl are around one another in their everyday mundane interactions (usually because they're childhood friends) then you can expect it to be a sign of deeper feelings. Then, of course, there are moments when Kumiko and Shu bicker which is another trope in its own right.

For the record, I'd still prefer KousakaxKumiko to be a thing (just because I think something is gonna happen doesn't mean I have to like it), purely because I think they have better chemistry and a deeper relationship. I don't dislike Shu nor his chemistry with Kumiko but I think Kousaka has been better on all fronts. And if the story doesn't do something about that soon and start focusing on Shu and Kumiko's relationship a lot more, then a lot of people (including myself) are going to be left heavily unimpressed when the inevitable happens. After all, they set themselves a very high bar at the end of episode 8...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-02, 11:18   Link #1013
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would say Kumiko is definitely romantically interested in Shu: She just doesn't realise it yet.

Probably the most obvious hint is in the ambiguity in her denials. When Kumiko and Kousaka finished hiking up the mountain, Kousaka asks if she's really that interested in Shu. The surprised Kumiko denies it but Kousaka goes "Hmm.. is that so?" with a strong sense of suspicion. I think the point of that scene is clear: It's a really standard narrative trick in anime to give the viewer a reason to doubt a denial by having another character not buy it. Besides, the fact that Kousaka managed to connect Kumiko's attention towards the festival lights to Shu is pretty telling as well.
I never got the sense that she didn't buy it. What she says in Japanese is "Hmm... Sonna janain da." That doesn't sound like she's putting what Kumiko said in doubt. It's more like "so that's not it" rather than "is that so?" All in all, I think she was just pleased with Kumiko's reply, especially considering her smile and all.
Old 2015-06-02, 11:21   Link #1014
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
After reading from anon sources.... I feel those two will become an item...
Old 2015-06-02, 11:26   Link #1015
Kazu-kun

Look at that background.

I hope a full sized one will be available at some point.
Old 2015-06-02, 11:57   Link #1016
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:

There are other signs as well, most notably the fact that Kumiko had a clear opportunity to reject Shu (The moment where she uses Kousaka as an excuse) but instead of simply telling him he didn't think of him that way, she makes an effort to avoid and evade. If her feelings are that clear then why is she avoiding the issue? You could argue that she wants to avoid hurting his feelings, but why would she do that to someone she otherwise shows no effort in expressing disdain towards? The only answer is that she doesn't actually hold disdain towards him at all which leads to the next question: Why, in an anime, would a girl showing disdain towards her male childhood friend when she doesn't actually hold him in disdain?

The other hint is the fact that they're so familiar with each other. The way they're able to converse with one another and hang out with each other with such ease and comfort, isn't there for no narrative reason. Now this wouldn't normally mean anything in real life but this is animeland and if at least one character remarks upon it as if it's a peculiarity/a sign of romance (which has already happened in this show) then that's the story telling us how to interpret it. Anybody seen Nagi no Asukara? There's a scene in Episode 17 when Kaname watches Tsumugu and Chisaki interact in the kitchen and he isn't all that pleased. It's a trope that appears a lot in anime romances: when the story makes an effort to show how familiar a guy and a girl are around one another in their everyday mundane interactions (usually because they're childhood friends) then you can expect it to be a sign of deeper feelings. Then, of course, there are moments when Kumiko and Shu bicker which is another trope in its own right.
Kumiko can talk with Shu as normally as Tsumugu and Chisaki can talk with each other, the difference is Tsumugu and Chisaki were on a lot better terms than Kumiko and Shu. And when Kaname confessed to Chisaki earlier in the show, she didn't really give him an answer one way or the other (and then the rest of the story happened and we know how that turned out). You also bring up a good point about the olde married couple trope, but Hikari and Manaka even in the first half are more just frustrated with each other when they're arguing instead of completely chilly.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-02, 12:10   Link #1017
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
There are other signs as well, most notably the fact that Kumiko had a clear opportunity to reject Shu (The moment where she uses Kousaka as an excuse) but instead of simply telling him he didn't think of him that way, she makes an effort to avoid and evade. If her feelings are that clear then why is she avoiding the issue?
I think it's because her feelings aren't entirely clear. Which is understandable considering she was confronted with something (Shu possibly liking her romantically) that probably hadn't even crossed her mind before. At least it hadn't crossed her mind since the middle school incident that strained things between her and Shu.

I think it's a fairly normal human response to (temporarily) evade and perhaps regroup, when you're confronted with an idea that's entirely new to you, especially when that idea could conceivably have a strong impact on you.

If Kumiko was already romantically interested in Shu, then I would expect her to show greater nervousness and/or blushing and/or stuttered denial over how Shu approached her in Episode 8. After all, look at just how awkward Kumiko was towards Reina in earlier episodes. Kumiko strikes me as a pretty emotionally expressive individual.

Quote:
The other hint is the fact that they're so familiar with each other. The way they're able to converse with one another and hang out with each other with such ease and comfort, isn't there for no narrative reason. Now this wouldn't normally mean anything in real life but this is animeland and if at least one character remarks upon it as if it's a peculiarity/a sign of romance (which has already happened in this show) then that's the story telling us how to interpret it.
It's possible foreshadowing.

I'll say this - KyoAni has done just enough to make viewers seriously consider the possibility of Shu/Kumiko. So if KyoAni starts focusing on it ASAP, and gives it a good chunk of the remaining time, they might be able to make something decent out of it, even with what's left in this season.

However, KyoAni has not yet locked themselves into Shu/Kumiko. For a point of comparison...

Spoiler for Nanoha comparison, minor spoilers:

Quote:

For the record, I'd still prefer KousakaxKumiko to be a thing (just because I think something is gonna happen doesn't mean I have to like it), purely because I think they have better chemistry and a deeper relationship. I don't dislike Shu nor his chemistry with Kumiko but I think Kousaka has been better on all fronts. And if the story doesn't do something about that soon and start focusing on Shu and Kumiko's relationship a lot more, then a lot of people (including myself) are going to be left heavily unimpressed when the inevitable happens. After all, they set themselves a very high bar at the end of episode 8...
I strongly agree with you here.
Old 2015-06-02, 12:20   Link #1018
Kazu-kun

If nothing else, after episode 9 Kumiko is questioning her feelings for Shuuichi. So who knows, something might come out if it.
Old 2015-06-02, 13:05   Link #1019
larethian

As I thought Hadzuki would have made it as she's one of the cover girls.
More realistic that she didn't though.
Kind of feel bad for Natsuki, but I could see it coming during that morning solo practice scene.
Other stuff I'm already spoiled and can't comment on
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-02, 13:15   Link #1020
Hero of the day
Masa~san <3

Arrggh that cliffhanger. I wanted to see how Natsuki will interact with Kumiko after not making the cut. It looks like something similar has happened before. Kaori's annoying fangirl seems like she's ready to pounce on Reina. Oh damn the long wait is gonna be painful.
Hero of the day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra