AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 48 52.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 29.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 9.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-16, 21:24   Link #41
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
These last two episodes are some of the best episodes I have watched in my life... excellent atmosphere, acting, directing, built-up, resolution... ah! nice stuff
Old 2011-08-16, 21:51   Link #42
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Claymore View Post
Hey, something beats me... if in the original world line they could save Kurisu by Okabe letting Daru know about her death with its D-mail, can't they possibly create other logical D-Mails to save Mayuri to move on to other worldlines which is not either alpha or beta they're in? I know Mayuri's death was certain, so she died in whatever circumstances Okabe D-mailed, but I feel strange that Kurisu was saved by that very first D-mail while they can't save Mayuri whatever Okabe does. I guess the most logical way is to find and send other coherent D-mails in order to save Mayuri and fight the SERNs back.

Btw, have Mister Braun and Moeka been saved by that D-mail or are they at the same situation as Mayuri? Man, I really should get this VN thing asap
Apparently Okarin's first D-mail changed the worldline from alpha to beta, but this was not due to the D-mail itself: it was because of the fact that SERN detected it. Suzuha mentioned that the most recent major worldline break point is 2010, when the microwave was first invented. The factor that seperates the alpha from the beta is whether or not SERN detects it. The content of Okarin's first D-mail is thus unimportant.

There's a few assumptions in there, but I think that's roughly what happened.
Old 2011-08-16, 23:06   Link #43
matapat

Another great episode of Steins;Gate, glad that they eventually got back to the original major plot point of Kurisu's death at the start of the series and how (or even if) Okabe can work his way around it saving Kurisu & Mayuri in the process and still thwart SERN.

Spoiler for And I'm with Triple R on this:

Really hope the show finishes as well as these last two episodes have gone. This is one of the best anime series climaxes I've ever seen.
Old 2011-08-16, 23:37   Link #44
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
That's the million dollar question that the anime has made a very good job of keeping for the big finale. I personally don't think that the timeline where it all started is the safe timeline cause otherwise there wouldn't have been a time machine popping up in the roof now would it?

If we assume that the timeline from episode one is the alpha timeline then that means that Suzuha was wrong and the alpha timeline isn't the safe one and Okabe will need to find another gamma line where both Kurisu and Mayuri are safe (with bonus points if SERN doesn't win in the end).
That's a good point about Suzuha being around, that if that was the supposed "safe timeline," then she wouldn't be there. It was just that I remember seeing the number shift from 1. something to .56 or something around there. That's why I assumed that was supposed to be the safe timeline.

Gah, you are right though, they certainly have done a good job. I still can't figure out the ending :X
Old 2011-08-16, 23:53   Link #45
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Episode 21 preview. Who will Okabe choose?

Old 2011-08-16, 23:55   Link #46
Crontica

I've got a bad feeling about this, depending on what the divergence timer has outputted so far, does things get better if the numbers go up or down?
Old 2011-08-16, 23:57   Link #47
shinigami99

I now went to watch that scene in episode 1 where Kurisu died. That scream that Okabe and Mayushi heard was honestly one of the most heart-wrenching ones ever. Even more so now that we can figure out why it was like that, as well as who it inevitably was.
Old 2011-08-17, 01:50   Link #48
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Speaking of which people here are ridiculously good at theorizing. Who came up with the Ferdinand Braun one again? o__o
Concerted effort, back in May, at least that's when I first heard that speculation.

Btw, I thought the dragonflies in the Mr. Braun scene were a nice touch. Something animated that goes about its life as usual to counterbalance the tragedy and tells you that life goes on. It's that sort of detail that really gets to me.
Old 2011-08-17, 01:55   Link #49
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Sweet episode, I felt the moments when Braun shoots Moeka and himself were truly disturbing, but I guess the buildup was kinda missing and it's all over in 1 episode, leading me to wonder where everything falls into this.

So they can go back to the beginning where sern never takes over and Mayuri can live. But Kurisu is gonna die. Yikes, with only 4 episodes can they really make the ending complete?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-17, 03:01   Link #50
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
my opinion on the changes from the VN pointed out by the players:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-08-17, 03:36   Link #51
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
my opinion on the changes from the VN pointed out by the players:

Spoiler:
Spoiler for game spoilers:
Old 2011-08-17, 03:40   Link #52
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 2011-08-17, 04:09   Link #53
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Apparently Okarin's first D-mail changed the worldline from alpha to beta, but this was not due to the D-mail itself: it was because of the fact that SERN detected it. Suzuha mentioned that the most recent major worldline break point is 2010, when the microwave was first invented. The factor that seperates the alpha from the beta is whether or not SERN detects it. The content of Okarin's first D-mail is thus unimportant.

There's a few assumptions in there, but I think that's roughly what happened.
This makes sense to me actually. So in the end, it doesn't come down to undoing the first D-mail itself, but undoing the consequences. If that is so, then it's not about undoing the D-mail as that would still entail sending another D-mail, but sending it while not getting caught, and now that they have the IBN 5100, it's perfectly possible to do that. It might even allow them to enter into a gamma worldline, which isn't entirely impossible. The divergence would need to be much greater than 1 on the other hand.

That being said, this was another great episode. Everything about it was stunningly perfect. The stake-out scene which led to the tailing, the conversation they had with Mr. Braun and the eventual death of both Moeka and Braun. I do wonder as well if Mr. Braun's fate was to also die on that day in that worldline, but one D-mail from his phone and it was done. Okabe's expression when he realized he still had one more D-mail to undo, which would lead to Kurisu's death, was as if the Grim Reaper had just slapped him in the face. Wonderful. 10/10
Old 2011-08-17, 04:44   Link #54
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

This episode was rather emotionally packed, but a bit too rushed for me to enjoy it. I've read some earlier comments and I really want to see crazy Nae. After all, I was pretty freaked out by her the first time she Nice-Train'd Mayuri onto the tracks.
Old 2011-08-17, 04:50   Link #55
User165949
Disabled By Request

I suppose this is really a good moment for going back to watch again the first episode, aptly named along the lines of "prelude to a beginning and an end".
Old 2011-08-17, 06:24   Link #56
Sakaraski

Hi, I'm new here..I have bad grammer so excuse me just wanted to share my opinion and this episode was awesome and the end of the episode I got creeped out cause Kurisu was smiling knowing that canceling the first D mail would mean her death... D;
Old 2011-08-17, 07:09   Link #57
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Only four episodes til the end. How the hell Okarin is going to warp this up?!
Old 2011-08-17, 08:45   Link #58
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
So they can go back to the beginning where sern never takes over and Mayuri can live. But Kurisu is gonna die. Yikes, with only 4 episodes can they really make the ending complete?
If they space it all out right, four episodes would be just the right number to pull of the ending. Have Okabe agonize over his decision in episode 21, make the decision in episode 22/end of episode 21, and then spend the last two episodes dealing with the fallout of that decision.
Old 2011-08-17, 10:20   Link #59
ookamigirl

So Moeka finally spilled the beans about IBN 5100. I was totally surprised to see Mr. Braun was involved with all of this! Guess no one is as they seem. This is getting even more complicated since more people have a tendency to die as a direct consequence of Okabe's playing around with changing history. Guess Okabe can't save everyone even if he reverses the whole process...

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-08-17, 10:44   Link #60
Bafflement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
If they space it all out right, four episodes would be just the right number to pull of the ending. Have Okabe agonize over his decision in episode 21, make the decision in episode 22/end of episode 21, and then spend the last two episodes dealing with the fallout of that decision.
There's a fair bit left to cover. It's difficult to predict how it will play out, partly because the rules on how the three different methods of time travel interact are unclear and slightly contradictory.

The one thing that is clear is that Okabe will have to jump back and borrow Suzuha's time machine before she leaves, in order to physically revisit the events of the first episode. Apart from that, there are a lot of different ways it could end up going.
Closed Thread